Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft Movie - For teens and tweens

time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
I've seen the previews for the Warcraft movie.  I was hoping they were going to target the Hobbit crowd, or possibly the D&D crowd.  But they are gunning for the tween & teens crowd clearly.  

But again video game movies for the most part end up terrible.  The plot I've taken from the previews is the typical childish "kingdom with infighting is besieged by an overwhelming enemy but end up finding common ground to defeat the agitators on both sides".  Yippee doo.  Boring.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.

Comments

• 7urmoil7urmoil Member CommonPosts: 9
    edited February 2016
    Shows what you know about Warcraft universe. If Duncan is sticking to the lore on this movie and he will, considering he's been fan of the franchise since 90s RTS, things will end up anything but rosy (hell, trailer itself forshadowed it), despite some of the changes.

Seriously, do you think if, what you said had happend, would than been future instalments of Warcraft or WoW for that matter?

All prime faction tension you see in future instalments stream from this one conflict.

But I understand. Trailer wasn't really informative, missleading infact (but than again it would be spoilerish if they showed when shit hits the fan)... not to mention, 1st trailers of Marvel/DC movies weren't either. We should expect future trailers somewhere about March.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    edited February 2016
    7urmoil said:
    Shows what you know about Warcraft universe. If Duncan is sticking to the lore on this movie and he will, considering he's been fan of the franchise since 90s RTS, things will end up anything but rosy (hell, trailer itself forshadowed it), despite some of the changes.

Seriously, do you think if, what you said had happend, would than been future instalments of Warcraft or WoW for that matter?

All prime faction tension you see in future instalments stream from this one conflict.

But I understand. Trailer wasn't really informative, missleading infact (but than again it would be spoilerish if they showed when shit hits the fan)... not to mention, 1st trailers of Marvel/DC movies weren't either. We should expect future trailers somewhere about March.
    I know alot about the Warcraft universe since I read all the books of the universe it ripped off all its lore from, Warhammer Fantasy.  Warhammer came out with table top and books like 5-10 years before Warcraft was a PC strategy game.  I remember the first time i logged into WoW for the first time years ago.  It was like I was in the setting of a Warhammer fantasy novel.

Back to the movie, in the preview it shows one of the Orcs with their baby in a hut and it shows a few seconds of the little cute baby orc close up.  Awww i feel so connected to the character now that they showed me his orc family.  I think this movie was directed by George Lucas in the same mentality that he did Star Wars episode 1 & 2:  Aimed straight at kids and kids only.

The biggest comedic part of Warcraft is that the Orcs are aliens.  Really...aliens.  wow.  "we must leave our world." and then part of the orc factions wants to pwn the humans and crush them, and the other half wants to share and live in harmony.  Epic internal power struggle on both sides!! woot, it'll keep the kiddies happy.

As for the Orcs being aliens part.  The one major part of lore that Warcraft doesn't rip off from Warhammer, and they can only come up with the Orcs are aliens.  Awesome backstory for a sword & sorcery universe.  Aliens.  I guess next they will have TV's.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
    edited February 2016
    time007 said:
    7urmoil said:

I know alot about the Warcraft universe since I read all the books of the universe it ripped off all its lore from, Warhammer Fantasy.  Warhammer came out with table top and books like 5-10 years before Warcraft was a PC strategy game.  I remember the first time i logged into WoW for the first time years ago.  It was like I was in the setting of a Warhammer fantasy novel.

Back to the movie, in the preview it shows one of the Orcs with their baby in a hut and it shows a few seconds of the little cute baby orc close up.  Awww i feel so connected to the character now that they showed me his orc family.  I think this movie was directed by George Lucas in the same mentality that he did Star Wars episode 1 & 2:  Aimed straight at kids and kids only.

The biggest comedic part of Warcraft is that the Orcs are aliens.  Really...aliens.  wow.  "we must leave our world." and then part of the orc factions wants to pwn the humans and crush them, and the other half wants to share and live in harmony.  Epic internal power struggle on both sides!! woot, it'll keep the kiddies happy.

As for the Orcs being aliens part.  The one major part of lore that Warcraft doesn't rip off from Warhammer, and they can only come up with the Orcs are aliens.  Awesome backstory for a sword & sorcery universe.  Aliens.  I guess next they will have TV's.
    I'm a warcraft lore nerd myself, so pardon me if I don't give rats ass about Warhammer. Yes,Warcraft was meant to be orignally WH game, but when they couldn't acquire the lisence, they went to create their own universe. There's orcs and humans, but that's where the similarities end. Ripping off Tolken's "evil for evil sake" will only get you that far.

Also, the "baby part" was meant to show that they're people too. You can't get connected to something in less than 3 seconds. That's stupid.

And the "we must leave our world and "good/bad orcs" that you so delicatly put, if you had actually read the Warcraft novels, which you claim to be ripped-off WH, then you'd know why.
    Post edited by 7urmoil on
    edited February 2016
    7urmoil said:
    time007 said:
    7urmoil said:

I'm a warcraft lore nerd myself, so pardon me if I don't give rats ass about Warhammer. Yes,Warcraft was meant to be orignally WH game, but when they couldn't acquire the lisence, they went to create their own universe. There's orcs and humans, but that's where the similarities end. Ripping off Tolken's "evil for evil sake" will only get you that far.

Also, the "baby part" was meant to show that they're people too. You can't get connected to something in less than 3 seconds. That's stupid.

And the "we must leave our world and "good/bad orcs" that you so delicatly put, if you had actually read the Warcraft novels, which you claim to be ripped-off WH, then you'd know why.
    I've read D&D, Warhammer, Forgotten Realm and many other fantasy novels.  I tried to read the Warcraft novels but they had child-like storylines.  They used the "all races of the realm unite" theme where even the bad guys are good guys.  Lame.  Orcs fighting together in harmony with humans to defeat an overwhelming thread.  Lame.  

I guess Warhammer is more adult and Warcraft is more for the younger crowd.  I actually spent money on the Warcraft novels and wanted to get into them but they weren't very good.  I know they were on the best sellers list but that is cuz of the PC game popularity.  I paid money for them, so dont say I went into reading a novel, as an adult who has read lots of fantasy novels, wanting to hate it.  I could see a movie critic probably going into a movie for free wanting to hate it.  But you dont pay money for a book wanting to think its aimed at younger readers.  again teens and tweens, but some adults may like it if they love the Warhammer universe, err i mean wanna-be warhammer universe.  

It actually started out very similar to warhammer, but went its separate ways with pandas....

time007 said:
    7urmoil said:
    time007 said:
    7urmoil said:

I've read D&D, Warhammer, Forgotten Realm and many other fantasy novels.  I tried to read the Warcraft novels but they had child-like storylines.  They used the "all races of the realm unite" theme where even the bad guys are good guys.  Lame.  Orcs fighting together in harmony with humans to defeat an overwhelming thread.  Lame.  

I guess Warhammer is more adult and Warcraft is more for the younger crowd.  I actually spent money on the Warcraft novels and wanted to get into them but they weren't very good.  I know they were on the best sellers list but that is cuz of the PC game popularity.  I paid money for them, so dont say I went into reading a novel, as an adult who has read lots of fantasy novels, wanting to hate it.  I could see a movie critic probably going into a movie for free wanting to hate it.  But you dont pay money for a book wanting to think its aimed at younger readers.  again teens and tweens, but some adults may like it if they love the Warhammer universe, err i mean wanna-be warhammer universe.  

It actually started out very similar to warhammer, but went its separate ways with pandas....
    Just because one chooses not to eat nails for breakfest and bath in baby's blood to "look tough" doesn't make it childlish. Just because there are people in stories, leaders who notice that it's better to work together with an enemy against common enemy, rather than fight on seperate fronts or slowly kill eachother off so that the bigger evil will have easier time dispatching both, isn't lame, it's common sense and it happend in rare cases.

Maybe they were best seller for a reason, other than "it's because it's based on a popular MMO".
    It's your own opinion what's childlish, but don't come here and saying something's an inferior literature just because it's not rated "Adult".
    7urmoil said:
    time007 said:
    7urmoil said:
    time007 said:
    7urmoil said:

Just because one chooses not to eat nails for breakfest and bath in baby's blood to "look tough" doesn't make it childlish. Just because there are people in stories, leaders who notice that it's better to work together with an enemy against common enemy, rather than fight on seperate fronts or slowly kill eachother off so that the bigger evil will have easier time dispatching both, isn't lame, it's common sense and it happend in rare cases.

Maybe they were best seller for a reason, other than "it's because it's based on a popular MMO".
    It's your own opinion what's childlish, but don't come here and saying something's an inferior literature just because it's not rated "Adult".
    Yeah thats why I read it because it was a "best seller" but best seller doesn't mean good.  After reading it I remembered it was based on a video game, thats why it was so bad.  Video game movies are usually pretty bad.  But again, hahah, the little baby orc hahahah.  So appealing to children.  I'd rather see a movie with Da Bloody Sun Boyz any day as opposed to the G-rated Orcs from the Warcraft movie.  

edited February 2016
    time007 said:
    7urmoil said:
    time007 said:
    7urmoil said:
    time007 said:
    7urmoil said:

Yeah thats why I read it because it was a "best seller" but best seller doesn't mean good.  After reading it I remembered it was based on a video game, thats why it was so bad.  Video game movies are usually pretty bad.  But again, hahah, the little baby orc hahahah.  So appealing to children.  I'd rather see a movie with Da Bloody Sun Boyz any day as opposed to the G-rated Orcs from the Warcraft movie.  

Yes, this is a G movie, because will be centered all aground this one CGI baby and nothing else. /sarcasm
    In fact, lets just toss the directors credibility out the window just cuz and ignore the fact that all game movies so far sucked, because developers of previous game movies didn't give rats@$$ about the franchise source material.

Explain to me how do you go from a colorful, bizzare fantasy world of Mario, to a dark underground dystopian city where people evolved from dinos?

People need to stop making excuses and just face the hard fact. It's not some divine/unholy power that's making movies being crap, it's the people.

You don't need to look further than Last Airbender...

Post edited by 7urmoil on
  • lurleenalurleena Member UncommonPosts: 22
    True! People always criticize no matter how nice the movie.
  • glordglord Member UncommonPosts: 338
    The people supporting the Warhammer I MEAN UHHH WARCRAFT movie sound like they're 12 and naive as $hit.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The movie will be the ONLY product from Blizzard that i would endorse but then again,Blizzard is not making so that's why it will be several levels above in quality from Blizzard crap.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    You can't watch the movie unless you have been subbed to WOW for the past 12 months and it will cost you 60$.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    time007 said:
    7urmoil said:

most of Warcraft lore comes from Lord of the Rings not Warhammer. Only WC1&2 lore come from Warhammer. Warcraft lore is far deeper than just WC1 & 2...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

filmoret said:
    You can't watch the movie unless you have been subbed to WOW for the past 12 months and it will cost you 60$.
    Should've turned left at Albaqurkey to reach EA.