Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why i had to quit this game..

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
the answer is simple, the game started to take over my life....

early morning jumping in the game for a few minutes to feed the workers and do some crafting
setting up a VPN remote desktop so i could check on the game from the office..
jumping behind my Pc the minute i got home till late in the evenings

it was fun as long as it lasted, i had a blast got a character to 50+, and really got intrigued by the deep mechanics of the game... But also realising from the start that my fammily would not tollerate such behaviour for any long stretches of time...  And time is the major requirement for this game

i am back to casually playing MMO's (like 20 to 30 hours a week) and that was not possible for me with this overall great game, ....  Tough i part with this game with happy toughts realising that finally there was an MMO again as deep as i loved in the past...

happy huntings and grindings to all of you...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    This sounds like how addicted I was when I started Everquest and my family suffered. Good reason to quit.
    Chamber of Chains
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I don't think 20-30 hours a week is considered casual today.

Personally i think if a game immerses a player to the point of logging in every day regardless of where that player is, i think the game has done a great job. I haven't felt like than in an MMO in a really long time, and unfortunately BDO is a pass for me, but i do miss this aspect.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Alders said:
    I don't think 20-30 hours a week is considered casual today.
    Agreed. That's 3 to 4 hours a day; basically a part-time job. I'd hardly call that casual.
  • strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630
    edited April 2016

It was actually one of your posts a couple of weeks ago that helped me decide to get the game seeing how much fun you were having with it. I am enjoying it still as well but I'm too busy and I have not even hit 50 yet...

Do what's best for you and take care.

Post edited by strangepowers on
  • kyphoriakyphoria Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I agree with your decision. I came to a similar cross-roads with rl and gaming and came to the same conclusion as well.  Anytime your playtime and work time lines are starting to blur together not too mention family time you need to know that its time to walk away.  This starts to become far more apparent the more you have invested in the work(career) and family.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    The game is a lot of fun, plus with all the new stuff announced for it I'll be playing this for a while. Basically what archeage should of been. Oh well, we got BDO so it's cool.
  • Papapeta33Papapeta33 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Lol, mate, 20-30 hours isn't far off from a full-time job - hardly casual.
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    In the mmo world there is casual and hardcore, there is no middle ground. So yea anything under 40 hours a week is considered casual.
  • AbhorerAbhorer Member UncommonPosts: 34
    @Lord.Bachus Maybe I should try it if it has such depth. 

20-30 hours/week wouldn´t be considered casual these days. 
  • maniac213maniac213 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    HEHE sounds like me 20-30 i do consider casual. But i am behind a pc at work all day so i do get time when nothing is coming in to play a game or 2.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    edited April 2016

As was said, 20-30 hours is not casual...these days. Back in the day 2 or 3 hours an evening with six or seven on a weekend was considered par the course.

Many say now it is so much better, you can game for half an hour a day and still do great things. You also have a situation where MMOs can't hold onto people for more than a couple of months and new AAA MMOs have problems getting a foothold. Those two things are linked, the new playing style is designed for locusts and butterflies and moulds new players into expecting only that kind of play. 

Post edited by Scot on
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I uninstalled it today...
    Despite liking some facets of the game, there were too many I could not stand.
    Like the stupid Black Spirit, children with teddy bear ears, horrible story and NPC/Quest Dialogs, class gender locks , horrible looking gear, stingy high priced cash shop to look half way decent.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I understand what you are saying Lord.  This started to happen to me again with AA because with AA you needed to spend a lot of time farming mats for crafting, you needed to farm plots of land that were about to burn down and so on.  While it was fun it took a lot away from the family.   

The problem is these types of games are enjoyable because you get so deeply involved with them.  The problem is people can get too involved with them.  I think the solution is to come up with some new ways of having a deeply involved game without needed to spend so much time in game.  For example SWG had extractors that would do you gathering for you.  Great mechanic however you had to go check them daily to empty the hopper and move them from location to location.  A good mechanic to combat people logging in at 4am like I did to manage all this stuff would be to have a web page where I could log in 2 or 3 times a week and click a button to empty my hopper or to add more energy.  While Crafting will be still fairly in-depth if I could interact with things like my extractor in game from a web page it would save me having to have my life revolve around doing something for the game.  

Not saying everything in games should be like however small tasks like gathering your mats from an extractor or in AA having a NPC lumber jack that could cut down my trees and replant new ones would cut down on the need to schedule everything in my life around a game.  Now yes I still think scheduling raiding or an instance in game around real life is ok, some of these minor things no.    
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited April 2016
    I was like that when SWG launched. Well except the part about playing it at work.  Can't really play games on government computers for many reasons.  Of course that was when I was single and didn't have children.  Now a days it's combination of not having the time to devote full-time play and simply just not wanting to devote full-time play anymore.  That being said, I do understand the grip a game can have on someone.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I wish there was an MMO that could engage me on that level, but there hasn't been one in ages. Certainly not BDO - which I found abysmal in certain important ways.

Heck, I can't even find the time and will to complete Witcher 3 and Fallout 4.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I ve been like this with DAOC again oddly. Some of the changes they ve done have been great. BDO, ugh, that was one of the quickest can t stand this game I ve ever had. Granted I did try it 4 times to see.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Like the stupid Black Spirit, children with teddy bear ears, horrible story and NPC/Quest Dialogs, class gender locks , horrible looking gear, stingy high priced cash shop to look half way decent.
    Kids with Teddy bear ears? 
    I  mean there aren't any in this game, but why would they bother you if they WERE in the game?
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    edited April 2016
    the answer is simple, the game started to take over my life....

early morning jumping in the game for a few minutes to feed the workers and do some crafting
    setting up a VPN remote desktop so i could check on the game from the office..
    jumping behind my Pc the minute i got home till late in the evenings

it was fun as long as it lasted, i had a blast got a character to 50+, and really got intrigued by the deep mechanics of the game... But also realising from the start that my fammily would not tollerate such behaviour for any long stretches of time...  And time is the major requirement for this game

i am back to casually playing MMO's (like 20 to 30 hours a week) and that was not possible for me with this overall great game, ....  Tough i part with this game with happy toughts realising that finally there was an MMO again as deep as i loved in the past...

happy huntings and grindings to all of you...
    I would say that you have a problem with self control.  Why not enjoy the game at a casual pace and play for an allotted amount of time i.e. decide how long you have to play and stick to it, so that you get the do the family stuff etc.  

I play 1-2 hours a day, am level 19 and am in no rush to achieve anything specific, I'm just enjoying the experience - but when it's time to stop, eat, play, work etc, then it's time.  Do you have an addictive personality in other forms of life i.e. do you occasionally binge eat or suffer from low self-esteem (I'm not being critical, but these are trends in people with a lack of self-control and you can get support for it).
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    DMKano said:
    OP to be perfectly blunt - it is not the game, it cannot take over your life unless you allow this to happen

I'm going to have to agree with this. One doesn't have to play this game "full time" if one doesn't want to. Admittedly, if one puts more time into it one will get more but this should be "ok".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I  mean there aren't any in this game, but why would they bother you if they WERE in the game?
    I figured he was talking about the Shai... although those are pretty much Hobbits/Halflings instead of children with teddy bear ears...

Either that or he's losing track of his Korean MMOs and he's thinking BnS or TERA, who both have child-like races with fluffy ears. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    DMKano said:
    danwest58 said:
    I understand what you are saying Lord.  This started to happen to me again with AA because with AA you needed to spend a lot of time farming mats for crafting, you needed to farm plots of land that were about to burn down and so on.  While it was fun it took a lot away from the family.   

The problem is these types of games are enjoyable because you get so deeply involved with them.  The problem is people can get too involved with them.  I think the solution is to come up with some new ways of having a deeply involved game without needed to spend so much time in game.  For example SWG had extractors that would do you gathering for you.  Great mechanic however you had to go check them daily to empty the hopper and move them from location to location.  A good mechanic to combat people logging in at 4am like I did to manage all this stuff would be to have a web page where I could log in 2 or 3 times a week and click a button to empty my hopper or to add more energy.  While Crafting will be still fairly in-depth if I could interact with things like my extractor in game from a web page it would save me having to have my life revolve around doing something for the game.  

Not saying everything in games should be like however small tasks like gathering your mats from an extractor or in AA having a NPC lumber jack that could cut down my trees and replant new ones would cut down on the need to schedule everything in my life around a game.  Now yes I still think scheduling raiding or an instance in game around real life is ok, some of these minor things no.    

AA is a huge time sink - way worse than BD IMO as there is no automated crafting, no autopath etc...

Black Desert can be played casually - same as any game just give up the idea that you can keep up with 1%ers, you cant and frankly you don't want to as what top players give up in RL to play so much is not worth it.

Yes AA was a huge time sink.  The thing I am suggesting though are things that can be added to an MMO that really help the average people keep up with the 1% player without killing a game.  For example my friend was the best architect on wanderhome in SWG in 2003 and I made the best Rocket launchers.  We couldnt keep enough inventory on our vendors because we were that popular.  It was not that we had a ton of time it was that we had skill in understanding how the mats worked together to make better products right.  In this situation what I would suggest is allowing us to access our hoppers from our extractors and other structures via a website because there is nothing game breaking about running between 3 planets and extractors.  Thats just a time sink to be a time sink.  We were the 1% because of skill not time.

almost any game today can be played casually.  The problem is today MMOs use Time Sinks for the 1% vs skill like SWG for example.   
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    I figured he was talking about the Shai... although those are pretty much Hobbits/Halflings instead of children with teddy bear ears...

Either that or he's losing track of his Korean MMOs and he's thinking BnS or TERA, who both have child-like races with fluffy ears. xD
    maybe he's just talking about in game npc's that are children with teddy bears.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I agree with what others have said, it is your problem not the game that is the issue. If you can't play even casually, then you need help.

• macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134
    DMKano said:

I play a crapton of games with a full family life because everything is planned out on a spreadsheet :)

Wow I feel sorry for you
  • GaeluianGaeluian Member UncommonPosts: 114

At EQ1's peak, it was quite easy to spend 15 hours day just farming for armor. Or, spend over 40 hours camping VP keys.

I met my wife playing EQ1 in 2000. Been together ever since.