Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saga of Lucimia is offering "pre-orders" (crowd-funding)

2»

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    CrazKanuk said:

Also, and this is more speculative, I thought I remember some conversation around crowdfunding and them saying how they would never resort to it and it was deplorable. I could be wrong on that, but I seem to remember something along those lines. 
    I think he said it like: We are 10 people with jobs and we are doing this game in our free time so we don't need donations.
    That they are going to cash in on KS after all isn't really surprising.

What surprises me is that people have hope for a game that is made by 10 people without any dev background who are working on a game only in their free time.

What kind of miracle do they expect of the outcome?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Dakeru said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Also, and this is more speculative, I thought I remember some conversation around crowdfunding and them saying how they would never resort to it and it was deplorable. I could be wrong on that, but I seem to remember something along those lines. 
    I think he said it like: We are 10 people with jobs and we are doing this game in our free time so we don't need donations.

What surprises me is that people have hope for a game that is made by 10 people without any dev background who are working on a game only in their free time.

The Unity 5 Miracle. Did you not know that everyone can make a MMORPG with Unity?
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Vada_GVada_G Member UncommonPosts: 85
    CrazKanuk said:

I think you understate their not having to answer to anyone. I think they, literally, told people they could eff off, if I remember correctly and I remember quite vividly having a conversation with the project lead and telling him that it probably wasn't the best way to conduct business. I guess we'll see who was right now that their hands are out looking for money. It's one thing to have an, apparently, rabid fan base, but it's another to get them to part with their money. 

I think that was EC at Divergence or perhaps another game title. Some of them (not particular to EC, but new indie developers) have little to no business experience and because they aren't run by an appropriate business-savvy person, they end up putting their feet in their mouth. I wish I could record a video of how fast you watch their tailspin when you bring up statements like those at a funding meeting. I understand that many of them are artists/creatives but they really should understand that there is an acceptable behavior when in the commercial art field lest you end up a starving artist (there are many out there).

In regards to SoL, I'll keep an eye on it. It's not PvP so it's not really my genre, but it may be fun to have on the side.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Dakeru said:
    CrazKanuk said:

The Unity 5 Miracle. Did you not know that everyone can make a MMORPG with Unity?

That's not entirely untrue. I've got an MMO engine (running under Unity) that I bought for my kids to fart around with. In less than a day I had a world server running, login working, monsters spawning. Oh! Did I mention I didn't touch a line of code? Made me cry a little on the inside. 

Either way, it was a still a little over their heads so they abandoned the project. I'll probably tinker with it now and again, but nothing serious until one of my sons finds interest again. Still don't feel like I could tell them, "...and THAT is how you make an MMO" lol.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    CrazKanuk said:
    Dakeru said:
    CrazKanuk said:

That's not entirely untrue. I've got an MMO engine (running under Unity) that I bought for my kids to fart around with. In less than a day I had a world server running, login working, monsters spawning. Oh! Did I mention I didn't touch a line of code? Made me cry a little on the inside. 

Either way, it was a still a little over their heads so they abandoned the project. I'll probably tinker with it now and again, but nothing serious until one of my sons finds interest again. Still don't feel like I could tell them, "...and THAT is how you make an MMO" lol.
    Creating a MMORPG map with 3 players and 10 enemies is a easy. Scale that to 3000 players and 10,000 enemies and npc's and you will find that without extreme optimization and custom coding you can't run that MMORPG at all.

Unity can not handle that amount of objecs in a map, or i should say C# can not handle it.

You can try it for yourself. Spawn a couple of hundred enemies randomly on the map and see when it breaks. My guess is around 300 is when the server will start to crack under the load. Depends on which of the many Unity MMORPG engines you bought.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Dakeru said:
    CrazKanuk said:

The IndieGoGo campaign was done because those of us that were following the game asked them to give us a way to support the project. As for them not having the know-how to make a game, everyone of the people working on the game have experience in the areas they are working on. The coders code for companies in real life, the programmers program in real !life, the artists do digital art in their day jobs, etc... So they do have real world experience in exactly what they're doing. Every game company has their first game and all of the learned on the fly.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Joreel said:
    The IndieGoGo campaign was done because those of us that were following the game asked them to give us a way to support the project. As for them not having the know-how to make a game, everyone of the people working on the game have experience in the areas they are working on. The coders code for companies in real life, the programmers program in real !life, the artists do digital art in their day jobs, etc... So they do have real world experience in exactly what they're doing. Every game company has their first game and all of the learned on the fly.
    The coders are coding.
    The programmers are programming.

Why didn't you say so from the beginning?
    I'm starting to have a good feeling about this.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Creating a MMORPG map with 3 players and 10 enemies is a easy. Scale that to 3000 players and 10,000 enemies and npc's and you will find that without extreme optimization and custom coding you can't run that MMORPG at all.

Unity can not handle that amount of objecs in a map, or i should say C# can not handle it.

You can try it for yourself. Spawn a couple of hundred enemies randomly on the map and see when it breaks. My guess is around 300 is when the server will start to crack under the load. Depends on which of the many Unity MMORPG engines you bought.
    Look, I'm not going to spend much time trying to explain this in detail, but I will tell you that the Unity engine is not running on c#. It's running on c++ and they use c# (or unityscript or boo) for the scripting. Some engines use scripting langu... most engines use scripting languages so it's nothing new.

When creating a map larger than a viewable distance you don't render the entire thing at once. You also render distant objects at their lowest detail. By streaming the data based on distance you can keep stuff that would normally be out of site, also out of memory.

It's possible to create an extremely (infinite is possible) large world that will even run on cell phones with Unity.

Just sayin.
  • RighteousRighteous Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Those price tiers for early access, $40 lowest entry? Listen, take it down to 20$ and I may consider it but for now, no thanks. Also, all the other tiers, way too ambitious.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    That generic FPS combat kills it for me. 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Dakeru said:

PT Barnum has a quote attributed to him that goes "There's a sucker born every minute"

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    edited April 2016
    Recore said:

We're a first-person MMORPG. 

Also, early alpha :) We've got a long, long, long way to go before anything is polished, or streamlined, or we add any of the additional combat abilities beyond the handful that are in now. 

If alpha graphics and "generic" early alpha footage doesn't do it for you, come back after launch in 2018 and check out out then. Meanwhile, our videos are there to show our progress, from the ugliest, earliest stages of our start two years ago, all the way up to our final launch.

https://sagaoflucimia.com/first-person-point-of-view-an-essay/
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon

Dakeru said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Nope. Still not "cashing in" on any sort of crowdfunding. We're still self-funded, self-employed, and using our own paychecks for most things. Including our June 3rd - 5th hangout coming up in Austin, Texas. Company funds are there for company expenses related to conventions, lawyers, accountants, software, hardware, assets...you know, business expenses. 

Still haven't drawn a penny of salary. Nobody on the team has.

Still moving right along. And we're far more than ten people...we have 11 members for Stormhaven Studios, and contractors that bring us up to between 14 and 20 people depending on where we are in a sprint cycle.

We're still plugging along, despite the naysayers. Our Early Access folks are happy, and we're having a blast. Can't wait to get folks into the next build this upcoming April 30th! 

Hope to see you there!
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Renfail said:
    Recore said:

We're a first-person MMORPG. 

Also, early alpha :) We've got a long, long, long way to go before anything is polished, or streamlined, or we add any of the additional combat abilities beyond the handful that are in now. 

If alpha graphics and "generic" early alpha footage doesn't do it for you, come back after launch in 2018 and check out out then. Meanwhile, our videos are there to show our progress, from the ugliest, earliest stages of our start two years ago, all the way up to our final launch.

https://sagaoflucimia.com/first-person-point-of-view-an-essay/

What I think does not matter

Keep making what you believe in. 

Everything is not for everybody.
    Recore said:

What I think does not matter

Keep making what you believe in. 

Everything is not for everybody.
    Exactly so :) Which is why we keep showing up, day in and day out, and building our game !
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Open world PvP is very difficult to balance even for experienced Devs.  This should be interesting to see how they work out this out.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Open world PvP is very difficult to balance even for experienced Devs.  This should be interesting to see how they work out this out.
    Except we're not open-world PvP. 

We're 100% PvE. 

Zero PvP in our game. 

https://sagaoflucimia.com/game/faq/
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    i hear lumpy "mega investor" man is slightly interested in this project, he just have ask his granny money so he can send some t-shirts to his shareholders.
    i hear lumpy "mega investor" man is slightly interested in this project, he just have ask his granny money so he can send some t-shirts to his shareholders.
    Unfortunately for him, we're not interested in investors :) 

We're 100% self-funded and will remain so until the day we launch. Blood, sweat, and hard work win the day.