Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Share the first impression on BDO

13»

Comments

• ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211
    edited April 2016
    My initial impression was awful as well.  I was just prepared to have a $30 mistake.   The black spirit is one of the most wretched first time experiences I've had in a game.   Terrible.   Then I thought of my good MMO friend who buys a game, tries it for 30 minutes, gives up immediately, and goes back to WoW to do her fishing and cooking quests like she has every day since launch.   I decided that I would have an open mind and heeding that has resulted in a very good gaming experience.

I actually got some good advice on these forums from a few posters, did a bit of reading up on the various systems in the game, and most importantly, didn't try to do it all in one game session.  Now I kinda plan my activity and  go at it in a methodical way.  I love "thinking" about a game--what I'm going to do, what my short and long term goals are.   I've never been a rush to endgame person nor one that has to have the best gear.  I'm actually a crafter and explorer at heart so a game like this really appeals to me.  Unlike others, I don't mind the afk activities in the game.  I like doing my afk fishing or afk to generate points.  I leave my computer on anyway so having the game play in the background doesn't bother me.  In fact I'm doing my easter egg collecting on a remote mountaintop looking at a beautiful sunset.  My kitchen timer is on, I have time to run downstairs to start dinner....it is all good with me.

I am cautiously optimistic.  I haven't joined a guild yet but I can see that guild events could be really, really fun.  This type of game is perfect because I can log on, do some activities and feel that I've achieved something.   Can't wait to expand my trade empire.  Alas, my time in ESO now is limited and at some will have to decide if I put that on a back burner for now.  I'm in several high volume trading guilds and  really don't want the pressure of making my sales each week.  We shall see.
  • jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    caine6621 said:
    Mixmasta said:
    I never made it past character creation. Once I found out all the classes I wanted to play forced me to pretend I was little girl, I quit. I should have read more about it before buying I guess.  
    I absolutely do not get the problem with this

For the OP it's a fantastic and I confirm every statement before mine.  There is just so much to do!!!!!

It won't be everybody's cup of tea, but for the first time in about 5 years I am hooked on a mmo.
    What is not to get?  There are a majority of people who try to create Online Characters who resemble themselves. I enjoy playing an MMO, where I can immerse myself into the game, feeling like I am part of the surroundings, finding cool armor/weapons that I can outfit to my virtual self.  

In BDO, I have no interest in my character running around in a mini-skirt, shaking her boobs with every step.  That is not immersive for me, and many other MMO players.  I have no interest in purchasing Lingerie from the BDO Cash Shop, to outfit my character. This is a game killer for me.  

I believe that there are a huge majority of potential players who would try this game if the gender restrictions were lifted, or there were more than 1 normal looking male class to play. I do not consider an old man and an ugly giant. 

IMO
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    crappy combat in a crappy game. Pretty simple really.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    My first impression was Korean CBT1 about year and a half ago - one of the best MMOs I ever played.

The game today is a pale shadow of what it was in CBT1 due to DAUM changing the direction of the game so much - but it's still a very good game.
    Why don't you keep on playing on the KR server then (with a proxy) ?

I do in have my blader there, but the current Korean version is nothing like it was in CBT1 when it was very much a PvP focused game and PvP was enabled at level 15 without karma penalties. 

I can relate to that playing FFXIV 1.23 then trying to play 2.0 onward. Thankfully I did not play the KR CBT1 however I closely followed the game and there is no shortage of players that noted all the changes onward and it's truly disappointing.
    They lost some, but they gained the interest of a huge number of other players who didn't care for yet another gankfest where your day consists of dodging the level 50 jerks camping the newbie areas to kill you over and over again.

Since Daum recently said that their success in the NA/EU has exceeded their initial expectations, I imagine it paid off for them to do so.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    My first impression was Korean CBT1 about year and a half ago - one of the best MMOs I ever played.

The game today is a pale shadow of what it was in CBT1 due to DAUM changing the direction of the game so much - but it's still a very good game.

I do in have my blader there, but the current Korean version is nothing like it was in CBT1 when it was very much a PvP focused game and PvP was enabled at level 15 without karma penalties. 

I can relate to that playing FFXIV 1.23 then trying to play 2.0 onward. Thankfully I did not play the KR CBT1 however I closely followed the game and there is no shortage of players that noted all the changes onward and it's truly disappointing.
    They lost some, but they gained the interest of a huge number of other players who didn't care for yet another gankfest where your day consists of dodging the level 50 jerks camping the newbie areas to kill you over and over again.

Since Daum recently said that their success in the NA/EU has exceeded their initial expectations, I imagine it paid off for them to do so.

...  in a big way too.  Apparently much to the dismay of the hater brigade :awesome: 
  • Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    edited April 2016
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

As a former long time L2 player in had no problem with competition whether it was over resources/spawns and ownership of castles. It think the best term for those who whine about gank fests would be the classic Demon souls one: Get Gud. Or in this case talk with your guild, you know that community you are supposed to bond and for relationships with and communicate, add incentive to kill flagged players and there you go. I know it's a huge surprise that in a PvP game that surely there are those in your guild that would love nothing more than to fist a griefer. 

If you want to be play a mmo where you want to play dress up and house or play potato farm simulator there is always Archeage and FFXIV. The decisions of DAUM and Pearl Abyss have little impact of whether or not this games success was fostered as a result of a watered down carebear version of the game. Mostly because all the changes were made prior tof any regions release. 

I'm sure you didn't know they didn't plan BDO for to have instanced housing. Changes made from CBT1 onward didn't directly just reflect PvP interactions, but I'm sure DMKANO could give you more insight on that If you wish. It doesn't take much more than a new MMO is releasing the get a large draw of players. People are financially inept and do 0 research on games and rather complain about being gipped after the fact (just check the OF and here daily to see dozens of whine threads). Pair this with a cheap entry fee of ($30) and overall slim amount of information regarding the game outside of outdated KR information and there's your "successful" launch.

I'm not saying I hate the game, I am currently happy with the game and will play it for some time still. Daum as a company handled the launch and updates fairly well. The way the Mediah lite patch was handled was very fair and their competence shows. Part of me in the back of my mind wonders if I enjoy the game so much is it being something different without the moronic publisher like Trion, rather liking the game for what it is knowing full well what this game was marketed as during development only to do a full 180 prior to release due to "customer and market trends".

I'm having a blast with the game, but I'm being pulled away with the Division and playing BDO very casually. Part of me wonders that if we got the game as it was sold of it would of been as absorbed as when I started playing L2. The lack of guild trading really kills things for me among other RMT measures. The game feels so single player compared to how I remembered it marketed. I just wasn't as excited as I was when I saw KR CBT1 streams and articles as I was with the launches. I mean my time is being split between a looter shooter, this coming from a person that hates fps/borderlands/diablo. I'm a sucker for TPS and going Rogue on pve bambi's In the dark zone to listen to them whining while fending off strong players is just too fun.