Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Wipe - July 2016 !

Abydos-CDDAbydos-CDD Member UncommonPosts: 98
edited April 2016 in Shroud of the Avatar
Great new, 

Final wipe [mod edit] in July 2016 !  

Cant wait !
Post edited by Amana on

Comments

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    This is NOT a launch, but only the final wipe. The game will still be in Alpha, after this date.  So , pls.
    Fix the title of your post.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    "Please understand that final wipe is not “launch”. We will continue to be working to finish the game’s story content well past final wipe, while we remain in Early Access. Until then, the game is neither “launched” nor complete, but as mentioned below, the concept of “launch” may not even be applicable to this development model. Launch will be when we pull the game out of Early Access and we start marketing / public relation campaigns to pull in new customers. We have no plans to do those things in July. We know that this plan will generate a lot of questions and stir up plenty of emotions, but we firmly believe this is the best possible course of action for the project."

Lack of commitment. Bad deal. I feel sorry for the backers. No one will ever have a legal ground to argue "this is not what I bought into". One more bites the dust to the current "industry standard".

Honestly, I never had hope for it anyway. I'll totally crowdfund Garriott's future project, if it's a one-way ticket to space.
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I made the mistake of backing this... Not at all excited unless I get the option of having my pledge returned.. That would excite me.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• TekmonTekmon Member UncommonPosts: 28
    black777 said:
    This is NOT a launch, but only the final wipe. The game will still be in Alpha, after this date.  So , pls.
    Fix the title of your post.

It is being released and live, live, live in a pre-alpha state on July 28th.  All games systems will be launched whether they are incomplete or not.   No effort in the Clinton'eque manner of manipulating the language by calling it "final wipe" will help in customers from seeing that reality it actually being Launch.  That is of course if they drop this nonsense and right this wrong. 
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited April 2016
    Yah it's a launch. No matter how its spinned its a launch. If your lookin for content look elsewhere. If your lookin for dance parties, grind mats and xp grindin this is your game.
    Post edited by Rawyn on
  • OnirikOnirik Member UncommonPosts: 17
    So many cryers here  <3
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Onirik said:
    So many cryers here  <3
    Nothing wrong with relevant feedback.
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    edited February 2016
    keldon said:
    Final wipe not launch
    What is the difference? Once progress in an MMO is not being wiped, it is being launched. The development status is really not relevent in this case. 
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Adjuvant1 said:
    This thread is about Shroud of the Avatar and not SC? No?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• ManciManci Member UncommonPosts: 7
    edited November 2017
    Looks overhyped.
    Post edited by Manci on
    Open World Interactive
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2016
    Manci said:
    Graphics are very bad and its overhyped. Technically the game sucks and its far away from being an AAA mmorpg. it looks like 2000's games.
    I dont know about overhyped but graphics are fine. This is the main problem in the west... apparently the majority only cares about graphics. This reminds me of why Japan is always drowning on amazing games that will never get localized for us because we only care about effin graphics so we end up with the shiniest poop on the stick. At least SotA is focusing on the game and not on the graphics.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Coman said:
    keldon said:
    Final wipe not launch
    What is the difference? Once progress in an MMO is not being wiped, it is being launched. The development status is really not relevent in this case. 
    Absolutely agree. 

Are they running short of funds ? Because nothing screams "buy in now" louder than the announcement of final wipe. Unless you're happy being waaaaay behind the early adopters when the devs finally arbitrarily change the game's status description from "EA" to "launched".
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Daikuru said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Well, you know, if Garriott can "get away with" leaving this project in a perpetual development state, with no more server reset, shucking any obligation to sign his name to a finished product, it just sets one more bad precedent. Now, I realize mmos are constantly "works in progress", but this is beyond that concept, because he's basically saying, "we don't ever have to take responsibility for a product in a released state", which carries significant implications, not only in the public's minds ( can always argue "it's still alpha! ), but also in any potential legal standpoint.

These two, Garriott and Roberts, are good friends. I don't just mean ex-coworkers or contemporaries in the game design field. They owned a microbrew LLC together. They hang out around each others' offices. It can absolutely be stated they "compare notes", and if this type of behavior (leaving game in perpetual development state) is going to be considered acceptable, I will one hundred percent guarantee other crowdfunded projects are going to follow suit. Because why not? What have they got to lose? Oh, I'm sure SQ42 will be in a release state, but I'm referring to SC specifically, separate product.

TL;DR: This sets dangerous precedent, just as, if not more, dangerous than wipe-less beta in PWI Neverwinter, or consumed cash shop items in SoE H1Z1. It's just a bad downward spiral. We're watching modern game development go down the drain.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited March 2016
    Daikuru said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Just ignore

On topic:

I can understand what the OP Is getting at. While it not being an official launch, it's gonna feel like a headstart for many people if there isn't a wipe until official launch.
  • TekmonTekmon Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Torval said:
    Coman said:
    keldon said:
    Final wipe not launch
    Absolutely agree. 

Are they running short of funds ? Because nothing screams "buy in now" louder than the announcement of final wipe. Unless you're happy being waaaaay behind the early adopters when the devs finally arbitrarily change the game's status description from "EA" to "launched".
    I get what you're saying but to say it's not relevant is just as false. Imagine this, they say it's launched in July, people go in and play and then they start changing a bunch of stuff. Gamers would go crazy and rage about how they "promised" it was launched but they lied and scammed them into thinking was released. I bet even some people in this thread who said "it's launched" would complain if they called it launched.

The problem is that release timelines are complicated. There is iteration. Final wipes are very significant, but so are major changes after wipes. Having an alpha/beta/early access tag on the project helps warn people that there could be significant changes to game play ahead.

That said, for me the significant factor in a release timeline is the final wipe. I will definitely start playing more now that I know my progress isn't likely to be wiped again.
    It doesn't matter what they say, all major features in the game will be launched whether completed or not on July 28th.  The only thing at play here is the effort by portalarium to manipulate the language from calling it launch to early access.  I think it is a horrible mistake they are making and a lot of credibility will be lost for all the people involved.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    jonp200 said:
    I made the mistake of backing this... Not at all excited unless I get the option of having my pledge returned.. That would excite me.
    Sell it now. You can get your money back. I got $1800 for my $1600 pledge. One of the whales will buy it to obfuscate the fact that only about 50 people actually play the game. There's a sucker born every minute.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited April 2016
    jonp200 said:
    Sell it now. You can get your money back. I got $1800 for my $1600 pledge. One of the whales will buy it to obfuscate the fact that only about 50 people actually play the game. There's a sucker born every minute.
    You pledged $1600 to a project and then say, " There's a sucker born every minute." That's hypocrisy at it's finest.
    fodell54 said:
    jonp200 said:
    You pledged $1600 to a project and then say, " There's a sucker born every minute." That's hypocrisy at it's finest.
    I'm willing to admit I believed Garriott until I realized what a liar he really is. My bad.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited April 2016
    I am so glad I only dropped $20 on this. What exists now barely qualifies as a game, and given how slowly progress has been made, there's no way in hell it'll be ready for anything even close to release by July. Final wipe? No. There's just no way, as it's far too early in the development process to promise something like that. Far too early. 

Honestly, I'm more than angry. I'm heartbroken. Garriott created one of the best RPG series of all time with Ultima (1 thru 7, anyway), but this whole project comes off like something a bunch of college kids would come up with as a proof of concept demo for one of their classes. It's not the work of an industry veteran lovingly creating something for the fans of his previous work, it's a pathetic pay to win cash grab by an egotist who desperately wants his name to be dredged up from the depths of gaming irrelevance. It's the equivalent of seeing Ozzy Osbourne (another childhood artist I deeply respect) starting to do pop music... though purely as a gag, that would admittedly be absolutely fucking hilarious. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

I am so glad I only dropped $20 on this. What exists now barely qualifies as a game, and given how slowly progress has been made, there's no way in hell it'll be ready for anything even close to release by July. Final wipe? No. There's just no way, as it's far too early in the development process to promise something like that. Far too early. 

Honestly, I'm more than angry. I'm heartbroken. Garriott created one of the best RPG series of all time with Ultima (1 thru 7, anyway), but this whole project comes off like something a bunch of college kids would come up with as a proof of concept demo for one of their classes. It's not the work of an industry veteran lovingly creating something for the fans of his previous work, it's a pathetic pay to win cash grab by an egotist who desperately wants his name to be dredged up from the depths of gaming irrelevance. 

He played us....let's be clear.

Richard, Starr, Chris...pulled on the nostalgia cord like it was their last breath. Personally, I gave them a lot of rope with this project...and they hung all of us with it.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    edited April 2016
    jonp200 said:
    Yeah all the old UO players that was waiting for the next UO game (tricked by Garriotts own words) left the building when they understood that Garriott and company only listen to the ones that pledged for +1000$.

All the real gamers that had put in thousands of threads/replies and feedback over at SOTA forums about needed changes to the game (was also a huge majority backing these changes) learned they were speaking to closed developer ears. Garriott and company said we will listen to our community and make the game our community want but that was a lie, they were only listening to the ones that had the opportunity to put in the hi money pledges.

That is why there is only 50 people playing the game now. Not listening to the majority of your community have a price and they are paying that price right now.
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Edited the title to be clearer. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    edited April 2016
    jonp200 said:

Currently, that's not an option for some people at higher pledge levels, unless of course you don't mind losing hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Maybe at Lord or below you might break even or maybe get a little extra back. People are selling RF accounts at a huge loss now. One look at the first few pages in the Marketplace you can see. Most people that have spent huge amounts on the game have spent all the high dollars they're willing to spend now, so the days of at least breaking even and getting the amount you've spent on higher level pledges back seems to be over for now.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot