Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review in Progress #1 - From Beta to Soft Opening

2»

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

alloin said:

you forgot to mention the horrible design around the most basic mmo-elements, putting trading and the AH behind a paywall (20$ to be able to trade 30 times/month and put max 3 auctions up at a time)

There's also a slight P2W aspect in the token-system.

Apart from these 2, the game is wonderful though!

This is true, but you failed to mention you c an get the same thing for in game currency.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited April 2016
    So pratically, for what you described and for what i tried in beta che game is still nothing like RO, is just another crappy korean grindfest gear based and hub quest progression rng wow clone with zero sociality and instances and a nice graphic. Nothing more as always.

I pass, i abandoned this same capitalistic formula and these themepark copy-paste brawlers years ago.
    The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

kdchan said:

So pratically, for what you described and for what i tried in beta che game is still nothing like RO, is just another crappy korean grindfest gear based and hub quest progression rng wow clone with zero sociality and instances and a nice graphic. Nothing more as always.

I pass, i abandoned this same capitalistic formula and these themepark copy-paste brawlers years ago.

You're implying ToS is a wow-clone. You're also implying RO wasn't a grindfest. Have you even played these games at all, or did you just read some anime gaming forums and pretend you lived those opinions yourself? So much contradiction and generalization going on here.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2016
    Paying to trade x number of times per month on AH? pass....Just repopulate RO if you want the feel again...
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    @Snakex, where are you? come post Jim Sterling's Fee to Pay video on this thread. It makes more sense.

• SinfulChrisSinfulChris Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Lots of BR's bottlenecking the servers, since everyone is trying to avoid them like the plague and only playing Klaipeda.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Don't like the megaphone chat which continuously scrolls on the top of your screen. Seems easy to level as lvl 150 after only 2 days and more to go. You get to the stage where you have to teleport to the other city and do those quests if you don't want to grind for too long.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• JHLotBJHLotB Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Shit sandwich.
  • Anfere31Anfere31 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    The game is pretty awsome and i like it a lot, so much things to do so many ways to xp (collections, adventure journal, quests, dungeons, grind, gem farming, recipies farming, leveling your companion, exploration) i really love the many horizontal progression and activities.

Right now the game is unstable for the people who are hording in klaipeda server, kind of like the mushin server in blade and soul, don't ask me why people in mmo's will always bunch up in 1 server until its unplayable, keep at it and then complain its lagging or that they have queues, but well it is what it is.

I choose the Orsha server and while there are issues, i can play uninterrupted. The early access launch was pretty chaotic but it is stabilised unless during rush hours where the lag issues are still present depending on the channel you are in and the zone you are in.

While it's a pre launch / early access and they did say it was to test the servers and finetunes things, it is still annoying for the people who like the game a lot and want to enjoy an issue free experience.

I do think that the game is worth the patience, and going through the issues with open mind because once it's satiblised this game have everything an old school mmo player, min/maxer, collector, explorer, theory crafter would want.

Every system in the game is super deep, very elaborated and demand thinking while also pushing you to accomplish fun and interesting activities.

Yes grind is part of the game if you chose to. You have more than enough quests to take you where you want, but if you want to complete your adventure journal, collections, farm specific armor/items/gems you will need to grind.

The fluidity of the gameplay do differt greatly depending on your class as each archetype hits his strenght at different levels - key moments, so somethimes you need to endure a hard couple of levels to reach a key class ring or ability for your build to make sense, but once you do and you are super proficient and everything start making sense, it's pretty cool.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Realizer said:
    alloin said:

you forgot to mention the horrible design around the most basic mmo-elements, putting trading and the AH behind a paywall (20$ to be able to trade 30 times/month and put max 3 auctions up at a time)

At least they have trading among paid customer, unlike certain game that says they have no proper trading among players to stop gold trading.
    More like idiots want to complain about restricted trading in one game, but are happy to pay for it in another? Comparing the two isn't even close to valid. I could see regular trading being an issue, but paying cash for using the auction house? That's insane.
    I totally agree, we should pay not to trade from now on and this practice should also be declared industry standard. /sarcasm

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    @Snakex, where are you? come post Jim Sterling's Fee to Pay video on this thread. It makes more sense.

Lol you talking about
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHszeYz5Mi0
    Sadly this is what you can come to expect in todays market. The marketing team has realized that people are okay with a Superficial financial ideal rather then the whole picture. More people are willing do try out a F2P game or a B2P game that only requires a one time payment rather then a monthly payment to secure yourself and others from a  P2W, Pay to have fun, Pay to fee, ect styles. As long as people keep on believing that you truly can pay for an Online game once and get away with it, are living in a fictional world, and companies will keep on trying this model out.

As MMO's require constant updating and big patches, there is no way that they wont try to find a way to fund their progress. Hence why subscription based games are the only true way to play a traditional MMORPG without barriers everywhere. Even a cosmetic barrier is still a barrier and in MMORPG's where your avatar needs to be as flexible as your own creative, financed customization is unacceptable. 
  • gregorykiefergregorykiefer Member UncommonPosts: 1
    As many have noted it's really a sub game disguised as f2p, like Conan Unchained in a way. I think we will continue to see this model more often in the post-WoW mmo landscape. It's a hardcore game and it's fair to pay for a hardcore experience. If you want to play it casually, the pay walls prevent you from muddying up the water for the hardcore players. I wish the game were more sandboxy, though. I love the rich character growth but I want that reflected in my impact on the static world too.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited April 2016
    Subscription (token) is $18 per month, which is more than P2P MMOs.

Even with a subscription (token), you can only trade 30 times a month.

Trades can only be item to item. They can't include silver.

Even with a subscription, you can only list 5 items on the auction house at once.

Even with a subscription, there is an intended 48 hour delay before you can withdraw your revenue from your sales in the AH.

None of this has stopped the game being filled with gold seller spammers.  At all.

PvP is restricted to duels only at the moment.

If I recall correctly, they said they plan for Guild Wars to be nonconsentual for our version, which means that if a guild decides to troll your guild and declare war on you, they can PK you anywhere whether you like it or not.  Of course, this can be avoided by not being in a guild.  (this may be a pro or a con depending on how much you like that thing.  Judging by most PK games, it's probably a Con overall in terms of playerbase preference)

Cash shop only contains skill reset scrolls, not class reset or stat reset scrolls.

Cash shop is pretty bare bones in general.  Which I guess might be why they're trying to push subs so much.  A couple costumes, skill resets, enchant stones (the only thing which is remotely pay to win in there but the stat boost it gives is really really puny and it only applies to one piece of gear, your head gear) and um... that's about it.

You only get four character slots without paying for more (50 TP per slot, if I recall correctly).  Any pets take up a character slot (but can be used by any character)

Shared bank for sharing items amongst your chars (sub only) reduces an item's "potential" (same as when you trade it away) whenever you use it, which weakens an item's enhancement potential and makes it untradeable after a while.

Combat calculation mechanics are hilariously basic.  Rather than higher skill points increasing your attack by a % like most MMOs, they only increase it by flat damage.  This leads to skills that hit once becoming really bad later on as you gain in self attack power while skills that hit multiple times scale much better, among other combat oddities like defense being nigh useless at end game because it's additive and comes in too small quantities (so you reduce 150 damage from a monster hitting you for 3k damage per.  Wow).  "Taunting" is still a thing though because you can just taunt an enemy and then run around without it hitting you while other party members snipe it.

Overall game raises a bit too many red flags for me to recommend buying into it right now (although I guess the unstable servers alone should be more than enough incentive to wait a bit first).  A lot of it (combat mechanics, terrible spawn rate, trade restrictions, terrible optiimization) give me the impression it was programmed by a bunch of newbies or something who just haven't really thought things through.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I really like the old school aspect of this game, it reminds me of playing Chrono Trigger/Other SNES J Rpg's. The nostalgia is thick.

I haven't gotten too far into the game yet, haven't started auctioning or crafting. But the play style with my x box controller on my PC is great.
  • Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Thinking of getting a founders package, how is thee Klaipeda server now, i heard there were problems?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I just have a lot of fun killing shit in this game, and it's free so i'll play it.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited April 2016
    Realizer said:
    alloin said:

At least they have trading among paid customer, unlike certain game that says they have no proper trading among players to stop gold trading.
    More like idiots want to complain about restricted trading in one game, but are happy to pay for it in another? Comparing the two isn't even close to valid. I could see regular trading being an issue, but paying cash for using the auction house? That's insane.
    I totally agree, we should pay not to trade from now on and this practice should also be declared industry standard. /sarcasm
    That made zero sense. You're comparing how ToS makes you pay to trade and use the auction house, to how BDO doesn't allow player trades? I'm saying paying real money to trade is insane, I'd rather not be able to trade.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited April 2016
    Well, they improved the server connection and queue problems at least.  Apparently monster spawn is borked though.

Now that the server queue and connection issues are fixed, people are starting to notice all the other issues with the game like ridiculously slow monster spawns and that you can't even share your silver among your alts.

Gameplay itself is fun though!  ....when you're actually playing instead of waiting for monsters to spawn.

IIRC, the price of the founder packs gets lowered in the last month before release so if you hold out that long, you'll get a discount!  (....seems like an odd way for them to shoot themselves in the foot a little)