Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have Gamers lost what made us love Games in the first place?

flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
edited March 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
      I feel like many gamers and i have fallen into this category too... That we have lost what made us love gaming to begin with.  There was a time whether it was being a child or even if you started as an adult that you logged on just to have some fun.  I feel like too much now with MMOs especially that too many players only care about XP, min/maxing, analyzing every last detail of the game to become elite.   And all is forgotten about how to just have fun in the game.   Gamers would rather do something that is boring as hell to them in the game if it makes their character 1% stronger instead of doing something that is actually more fun in the game.  

Thought about this because lately after a break from MMOs and came back to them in December, people are constantly like "well this offers more xp lets do this"  even if its boring to them and they admit they dont enjoy doing it but it makes their character better.   I agree progressing and growing your character is what many people play MMOs for but doing stuff that isnt fun to progress it 5% faster just dont make sense to me anymore.  I think many of us have lost that child like fun in video games.   Anybody else kinda feel like this?

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Its called growing up / gaining life experience. 

For example, when I was a kid and completely lacking in experience, pretty much every game was fun. However, as I got older and played more games and experienced more of life, I came to see the shortfalls in just about everything, as well as getting bored of things I'd already done (repetition of anything eventually leads to boring). Each new great game I played raised my standards a little bit more.

So, in my late 20s when SW:TOR came out, I had 20+ years of gaming experience under my belt. This experience showed me that the designers were crap and they'd missed a massive opportunity to make a great game. I'm a prolific reader too, so although people claim the stories were great, I recognised them as being generic crap. Having played MMOs before, I quickly got bored of the shallow combat and linear questing gameplay. 

What is left is a strong desire to play the game, but the reality that the game is crap. So, I'm one of those people who would focus on min-maxing, optimising leveling speeds etc, because those were the few things left in the game that I genuinely enjoyed or simply wanted to get past to reach the content I did enjoy. 

This problem isn't restricted to MMOs / games, but is true of any art form. I suffer from the same thing with books. For example, I used to love the Forgotten Realms books about Drizzt Do'Urden but have since read a ton of other fantasy books. This made me realise that those books were fairly generic and that there is much better stuff out there (like the Riftwar Saga).
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    The problem is not the gamers, but rather the developers.  Gamers play what is given to them and if the game focuses on just the stats then that is what gamers will focus on.  
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    games like 7 days to die and wurm and so many similar has restored my faith in gaming

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I do. I think that when we're young, we're so amazed with games. I mean even when I was playing pong for the first time (yes, I had a pong console) it was just amazing. I feel like we appreciated things more back "in the day". 

Today someone can program pong in a matter of an hour or less. *pfft* So I feel like gamers are spoiled and entitled. There is very much an "Impress me minion!!!" attitude that gamers seem to have adopted in recent years. My favourites are quotes like "Gawd! Networking issues on launch!!! Haven't they figured that out yet?!?!?" You know, because they learned to take the trash out to the corner in one lesson, so why can't you master networking infrastructure? DUH!!! Also, I feel like games appreciate the simple subtle differences that make individual games great. They DEFINITELY don't appreciate story. They seem hyper-focused on being "the first" or "the fastest" so they bypass all the fun and then complain about it. 

Honestly, I don't feel like what we're seeing is a by-product of inferior games, it's a product of entitlement. I feel like most simply accept nearly real-life graphics as a given. If you stuck them with FF1 I feel like they'd probably tear their faces off. I think that much of it has to do with the Internet and it's rapid propagation of hate. We've been taught that hate is ok online and "that's just how it is", and given the opportunity to be an anonymous asshole, who wouldn't? Well, the answer is anyone would. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    flguy147 said:
       Anybody else kinda feel like this?
    nope.

I play games for fun .. modern games are still fun .. in fact, more fun than older games. So I am good. 
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    My biggest eye opener to the state of multiplayer gaming came from a fairly casual conversation with somebody in the chatroom of a Twitch.tv broadcaster. We were talking about League of Legends, and I mentioned that I only ever really played it once in a while for fun. The response I got: "Well, I guess it's okay to play for fun, but..."

Since when in the hell did playing a multiplayer game for fun go from being the primary reason to play in the first place, to something which is begrudgingly acknowledged and barely considered acceptable? This attitude isn't limited to MOBAs either. Just look at how people are expected to min/max their characters, and watch instructional videos about boss fights before even attempting them. And this is just for normal dungeons / raids, heroic and hard mode are a whole different ballgame... though I admit for those such expectations are a bit more reasonable. It is top tier content after all, but you should still do it because it's fun to you. 

People take these games way too seriously. You can't even play something like Starcraft 2 online just for fun anymore, which was one of my favorite online games back in the day (the original Starcraft, that is). 

Games are supposed to be fun. They're supposed to be played for fun. They aren't a job unless you're a member of an e-sports team, but even then you should do it because you find it fun!

If you buy a classic or rare vehicle, but do nothing except keep it locked away in a garage or storage unit and occasionally clean the dust off, you are insulting the creators and designers of that vehicle. It was meant to be driven and enjoyed. 

If you buy a comic book, throw it in a polybag and store it in a box or drawer somewhere without ever reading it, you are insulting the creators and artists of that book. It was meant to be read, and the artwork admired and enjoyed. 

If you play any video game like a job, slogging your way through despite not having an ounce of fun for any reason, you are insulting the creators and developers of that game. It was meant to be played for enjoyment, for fun

Start having fun, people. That's why we game... or at least, that's why we should game. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited March 2016
    Great post. I think some gamers have been chasing the charm and magic they once felt for gaming when they started playing them. When the hobby was new and mysterious. Games have grown and changed and in my opinion become better forms of art. Technology and art and soundscapes have improved in many games that have allowed for games once we would have never thought of being able to play become a reality. Playing Shadows of Mordor was something of a magical experience for me. Far Cry 4 and Primal have been amazing experiences. Not just games, experiences. When it feels like just a game to me I slowly become disinterested. I like to be transported. Gaming to me is a form of travel. One I am still in love with. 
    two words

Planet Coaster

At least for me there are now more games like that in just the last few years then in all the years combined going back (for me) all the way to 1980

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Some things have taken a negative turn IMO.  We have better graphics, but less music and a headache inducing amount of ! marks/GPS/Markers.  I like the graphics of modern day games, but I prefer the way they were setup in older ones.  There are way to many interface tools and tutorials.  I just want to play the game.  Older games managed to be complex without the reliance on such tools.  I also believe that what I consider fun has gone out of style in many ways or was just very niche to begin with.
  • OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105

Human truth is, its all about the journey, not the destination. Look there for your answer.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Not for me, I know what I like and a solid MMORPG that delivers it, so all good here.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
        "I feel like many gamers ON THIS SITE"

I fixed your opening statement...

Luckily this site is about .0001% of gamers and is well known for their QQing and doom and gloom.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Video games a just a slice of the gaming pie.  Board games, rpgs, miniature war games, etc.   I have been a gamer for many decades and will until I die.  IMO, gamers have it good right now, the subset of video gamers might not.  Video gamer should be happy with the vast number of games they have.

Perhaps some people who are gamers aren't really gamers but tourists to the hobby? 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    There's a bit of Don Draper in many mmorpg gamers. "I hope she knows you only like the beginnings of things ...."

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Luiden said:
    The problem is not the gamers, but rather the developers.  Gamers play what is given to them and if the game focuses on just the stats then that is what gamers will focus on.  
    I think this is the truth of the matter -- but only for MMOs.  Developers became incredibly lazy and unchallenged in the MMO genre for so long.
    (And maybe games like AC and other repetitive annual franchises.)

I do not, however, think this applies to other genres.  There are so many amazing games these days to play across the market.  With all the technologically advanced games today, and the fact that we still have access to backlogs containing thousands of older games most of us haven't played yet, there's really no way we can blame developers.

Outside of the MMO industry, gaming is in the best state it's ever been. 

Inside:  We are finally starting to get somewhere, some new blood, and some fresh changes.  The genre is finally starting to move past stagnation.

Alot of people like to say that MMOs are dying/dead.  My view is that they haven't even been fully born yet.  Within the next 5-10 years, I think MMOs will have evolved to a state much better than what we've seen in their first 10-20 years of existence.
    I don't doubt, also, that before long we will see big investment money start flowing back into the mix.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Not me. I'm looking forward to Dark Souls III, hopefully a new Elder Scrolls game, I'm enjoying Black Desert Online and am looking forward to a possible Dragon's Dogma Online coming here. Also Pantheon.

I know what I like, I know what I don't like and Video games, at least for my life, are not something I can get jaded about.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    My biggest eye opener to the state of multiplayer gaming came from a fairly casual conversation with somebody in the chatroom of a Twitch.tv broadcaster. We were talking about League of Legends, and I mentioned that I only ever really played it once in a while for fun. The response I got: "Well, I guess it's okay to play for fun, but..."

Since when in the hell did playing a multiplayer game for fun go from being the primary reason to play in the first place, to something which is begrudgingly acknowledged and barely considered acceptable? This attitude isn't limited to MOBAs either. Just look at how people are expected to min/max their characters, and watch instructional videos about boss fights before even attempting them. And this is just for normal dungeons / raids, heroic and hard mode are a whole different ballgame... though I admit for those such expectations are a bit more reasonable. It is top tier content after all, but you should still do it because it's fun to you. 

People take these games way too seriously. You can't even play something like Starcraft 2 online just for fun anymore, which was one of my favorite online games back in the day (the original Starcraft, that is). 

Games are supposed to be fun. They're supposed to be played for fun. They aren't a job unless you're a member of an e-sports team, but even then you should do it because you find it fun!

If you buy a classic or rare vehicle, but do nothing except keep it locked away in a garage or storage unit and occasionally clean the dust off, you are insulting the creators and designers of that vehicle. It was meant to be driven and enjoyed. 

If you buy a comic book, throw it in a polybag and store it in a box or drawer somewhere without ever reading it, you are insulting the creators and artists of that book. It was meant to be read, and the artwork admired and enjoyed. 

If you play any video game like a job, slogging your way through despite not having an ounce of fun for any reason, you are insulting the creators and developers of that game. It was meant to be played for enjoyment, for fun

Start having fun, people. That's why we game... or at least, that's why we should game. 
    That's my first priority, is it fun to play?  What you said explains why some defend, condemn, play, or not play games.  Some people treat games like they're a sport.  So the only goal is to win or get high score. For them that's all that matters.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Human truth is, its all about the journey, not the destination. Look there for your answer.

nah .. it is about fun.

Both the journey and the destination can be fun. 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Games will always be something i do for fun. I hate playing with people that want to rush content im mmo's to get max level and mid/maxers are the worse to me. Probably why i'm so craving open world single player games. Getting tired of the community that plays mmo's today. If i can't solo it i don't play it anymore.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I still get the magic when I play old favorites and great games I missed. MMOs are pretty uniformly shit though. I had a lot of fun with the mechanics of combat in Blade & Soul as an assassin but couldn't stick with it due to the rest being the same ol' same ol'. Maybe I'll see if I've friends still in EVE.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    flguy147 said:
          I feel like many gamers and i have fallen into this category too... That we have lost what made us love gaming to begin with.  There was a time whether it was being a child or even if you started as an adult that you logged on just to have some fun.  I feel like too much now with MMOs especially that too many players only care about XP, min/maxing, analyzing every last detail of the game to become elite.   And all is forgotten about how to just have fun in the game.   Gamers would rather do something that is boring as hell to them in the game if it makes their character 1% stronger instead of doing something that is actually more fun in the game.  

Thought about this because lately after a break from MMOs and came back to them in December, people are constantly like "well this offers more xp lets do this"  even if its boring to them and they admit they dont enjoy doing it but it makes their character better.   I agree progressing and growing your character is what many people play MMOs for but doing stuff that isnt fun to progress it 5% faster just dont make sense to me anymore.  I think many of us have lost that child like fun in video games.   Anybody else kinda feel like this?
    I hate to get Biblical but this really is a great quote:

Ecclesiastics 1:9

9 "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. "