Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More problems with the Oculus Rift

Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
Rift face confirm promised customization was a lie.  And developers are starting to reduce movement to battle players getting sick.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3517067/Beware-perils-Oculus-face-VR-headset-leaves-embarrassing-red-marks-cause-wearers-feel-seasick.html

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited March 2016
    wait...embarrasing red marks causes weares to feel seasick?

how does that work in this realm of time and space?

and where is the 'other' problems that goes with this 'more' or was that added randomly?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    edited March 2016
    Like it or not SEAN, VR will be short lived. I know you like it and all but its just not gonna blow up like people think.

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    wait...embarrasing red marks causes weares to feel seasick?

how does that work in this realm of time and space?

and where is the 'other' problems that goes with this 'more' or was that added randomly?
    Try reading the article buddy...they are two different issues.

One of the other issues was how they lied about the price. 
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Oh no, temporary red marks on the face...
    Like it or not SEAN, VR will be short lived. I know you like it and all but its just not gonna blow up like people think.
    I wouldnt mind if it was more common to have my questions actually answered rather than totally evaded simply because one doesnt agree with me

but thanks for giving me your input.

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Wait til they find out sharing the thing with strangers is an amazing method of transmitting staph a., or worse, mrsa. Handing those around to various journalists and other curious onlookers makes them about as dirty as an airplane armrest, one you wear on your face.
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    I wouldnt mind if it was more common to have my questions actually answered rather than totally evaded simply because one doesnt agree with me

You werent worthy of a reply to your remarks about the redmarks because you clearly only read the link instead of actually clicking it and reading the article. All your questions can be answered by actually clicking the link.

SEANMCAD said:

You werent worthy of a reply to your remarks about the redmarks because you clearly only read the link instead of actually clicking it and reading the article. All your questions can be answered by actually clicking the link.
    Red marks on the face after wearing something sounds pretty self explanatory to me.  You don't really need to read an article to understand.  Have you ever put on swimming goggles.  Were you too embarrassed to take them off because of embarrassing red marks on your face?  This whole argument is ridiculous. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    My glasses leave marks on my nose.  Some people have coon eyes from sunglasses and a tanned face.  Well i guess we will just have rift eyes.  IDK how this is big news or somehow a revelation that wasn't forseen.  Although sony's vr does look like it won't leave marks but you never know till you actually try it.  OH wait you cannot wear swim goggles they do the same thing.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited March 2016
    moshra said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Red marks on the face after wearing something sounds pretty self explanatory to me.  You don't really need to read an article to understand.  Have you ever put on swimming goggles.  Were you too embarrassed to take them off because of embarrassing red marks on your face?  This whole argument is ridiculous. 
    The article isn't about just some red marks. Reading the text of the link unfortunatly isn't as informative as actually CLICKING the link and reading the article!

read the article and then we can have a discussion about it instead of discussing the way the hyperlink is worded

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Wait til they find out sharing the thing with strangers is an amazing method of transmitting staph a., or worse, mrsa. Handing those around to various journalists and other curious onlookers makes them about as dirty as an airplane armrest, one you wear on your face.
    I am waiting on the flood of multi million dollar neck injury lawsuits to be honest. Just looking down at your cell phone can add up to 40 extra LBs of pressure on your neck and spine. It doesnt matter how light the headset is it will add to that number and not just its real weight either.
    moshra said:
    SEANMCAD said:

The article isn't about just some red marks. Reading the text of the link unfortunatly isn't as informative as actually CLICKING the link and reading the article!
    I read the article.  A large portion of it is about red marks on the face.  The rest is mostly about motion sickness, which we already have a bunch of other threads complaining about it which makes it a well known issue.  Do we really need another discussion about motion sickness?
    You guys are missing the points.  Just like the price they said the Oculus Rift would have customization to accommodate all facial features it's appears that was a lie.  I also find it strange how you guys are ignoring the other issue about developers changing their games to less movement because people are getting sick.  

It helps if you read the article. 
    I should be fair. Bad news on VR related subjects dont happen very often even if its needs to come from The Daily Mail. I will try and refrain myself from this thread and let you guys have your fun..

enjoy!

and I know it seems paranoid but given how Tasslehoff35 talks to others I am not inclined to trust his links so I would rather not but I know that is a little odd but hey that is me! the odd one

moshra said:
    moshra said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I read the article.  A large portion of it is about red marks on the face.  The rest is mostly about motion sickness, which we already have a bunch of other threads complaining about it which makes it a well known issue.  Do we really need another discussion about motion sickness?
    This is more about how developers are changing how they are developing games for the Rift as the sickness seems to be getting worse and for more people. 
    SlyLoK said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    I am waiting on the flood of multi million dollar neck injury lawsuits to be honest. Just looking down at your cell phone can add up to 40 extra LBs of pressure on your neck and spine. It doesnt matter how light the headset is it will add to that number and not just its real weight either.
    Agreed. I will have to by significantly lighter to prevent any kind of discomfort.

I guess we will have to wait and see how those games turn out.  All I am saying is, there was nothing in that article that brought anything new to the table. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I never considered that point but having something strapped tight to your face will leave an impression on the skin.  The longer and more you do it the longer the marks will remain.  Not saying it's good or bad just interesting.  I read somebody called it 'Rift rash'
    Just had to share this one.  

RIFT.png 121.3K

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I know I said i would stay away and I am trying.

I was just thinking about 2010 or so when for about a year I was lightly made fun of by co-workers for having a phone with a 5" screen...ha1

Personally, and apologies for the slight derail here, but I don't see how these face mask VR devices are even being considered over the TrackIR.

TrackIR is light, WAYYYYY cheaper and does all the same range of motion stuff the VR face masks do by moving your head while using your monitor as the viewing device instead of a screen inside a big VR device. Only think I guess VR stuff has over the TrackIR is the fact that it's freaking goggles and completely block out your surrounding leaving you looking at your game only.

Anyway, that's just my opinion I guess. Probably deserves it's own thread

Personally, and apologies for the slight derail here, but I don't see how these face mask VR devices are even being considered over the TrackIR.

TrackIR is light, WAYYYYY cheaper and does all the same range of motion stuff the VR face masks do by moving your head while using your monitor as the viewing device instead of a screen inside a big VR device. Only think I guess VR stuff has over the TrackIR is the fact that it's freaking goggles and completely block out your surrounding leaving you looking at your game only.

because you cant pick up a virtual item with your hand look under it by moving your head under it, nor can you look behind you and 100% of your view all the time is the game space, not your desk counter.

that is why

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    edited March 2016
    The red marks is no big deal and they won't last long. I have sleep apnea and yeah the mask will cause red marks. gone within 15 20 minutes and that is 8 hours of sleeping. 

Being a new product I see no problem with the cost. In a year it will come down am sure like all new tech!
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

SEANMCAD said:

because you cant pick up a virtual item with your hand look under it by moving your head under it, nor can you look behind you and 100% of your view all the time is the game space, not your desk counter.

that is why
    Head motion is extremely amplified with TrackIR allowing a full range of movement  (even behind) with minimal head movement.

SEANMCAD said:

that is why
    Head motion is extremely amplified with TrackIR allowing a full range of movement  (even behind) with minimal head movement.
    right now..turn your head 90 degrees to the left and look at the wall.

what does track IR do in that case compared to VR?

Have a glass on your desk right now? Pick it up put it to your nose, no dip your head below the glass without moving the glass and read what is on the bottom of the glass. 

How does trackIR handle that?

Now move your head 180 degrees behind you and what do you see and how will track IR handle that?

in those three examples using track IR how much of your vision is in 'real space' vs 'virtual space'?

that is the difference

edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

that is why
    right now..turn your head 90 degrees to the left and look at the wall.

what does track IR do in that case compared to VR?

Have a glass on your desk right now? Pick it up put it to your nose, no dip your head below the glass without moving the glass and read what is on the bottom of the glass. 

How does trackIR handle that?

Now move your head 180 degrees behind you and what do you see and how will track IR handle that?

in those three examples using track IR how much of your vision is in 'real space' vs 'virtual space'?

that is the difference
    I cant answer that because I have no fucking idea what in the hell your trying to say.

I just said that your head movement is amplified and you don't need to move such a full range to get a wider wider field of view.

"EDIT"- I have deciphered your message. No you cannot look underneath your desk with trackIR and read a message under a glass. And...... who gives a crap about something like that. You think devs are going to be developing games that will actually make you get out of your chair and interact with the "environment" with that thing on your face!? Get real man, lawsuit waiting to happen.

For the sake of the thread, lets just agree to disagree. I dont want to hijack the OPs thread into a TrackIR vs VR argument.