Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTR Online - Ages 10 to 16

"Look mama, i'm a hobbit..."

"Look mama, I killed a rabbit"

Bah.....

No PVP in LOTR Online? Incomprehensible. At least make one ffa pvp server. Seriously what a bunch of carebears.

This is a childs game.

BurningPain

Comments

• pooblapoobla Member Posts: 41

At least us carebears bothor to read the book and know that the evil races had no selfcontrol and were mindless puppets of Sauron

• Kud-DukanKud-Dukan Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by BurningPain

Bah.....
    No PVP in LOTR Online? Incomprehensible. At least make one ffa pvp server. Seriously what a bunch of carebears.
    This is a childs game.
    BurningPain

You call it a childs game, yet we don't know a whole lot about it, and no one has played it...

That post was childish.

• SlagggSlaggg Member Posts: 221
    I learned quickly to ignore BurningPain.  Most all the posts of his I've seen are meant to do nothing but incite reaction, much like a child would do.  I suggest you do the same thing.

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

• akewlguyakewlguy Member Posts: 118

have fun on noob game

• tempestormtempestorm Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by poobla

At least us carebears bothor to read the book and know that the evil races had no selfcontrol and were mindless puppets of Sauron

I mean this by no means in defense of the orignial poster but your argument is flawed. You state that the "evil" races had no control of themselves and were simply mindless puppets of Sauron. So Sauron wanted his mindless puppets to slaughter each other in the tower of Cirith Ungol so that Sam and Frodo could escape?

Indaviduals always have a choice, even the "mindless puppets" of Saruon.

• emremfemremf Member Posts: 31

"Look mama, i'm a hobbit...""Look mama, I killed a rabbit"Bah.....No PVP in LOTR Online? Incomprehensible. At least make one ffa pvp server. Seriously what a bunch of carebears.This is a childs game.BurningPain

lol

• pooblapoobla Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by tempestorm

Originally posted by poobla

I mean this by no means in defense of the orignial poster but your argument is flawed. You state that the "evil" races had no control of themselves and were simply mindless puppets of Sauron. So Sauron wanted his mindless puppets to slaughter each other in the tower of Cirith Ungol so that Sam and Frodo could escape?

Indaviduals always have a choice, even the "mindless puppets" of Saruon.

"mindless puppets" was a wrong term.I meant: that lets say Sauron needed all of his forces to attack Minis Tirith, an orc cant  just go wander off and do its own thing. It is bound by Sauron's will and for the most part doesn't have much self control.
  • paadepaade Member Posts: 471

that might be very true but its not a very good reason to NOT have pvp in a MMORPG. I know they want to stick in lore but... i just hate to see LOTRO being so restricted.

I wish they would make a MMORPG based on First or Second Age instead of LOTR... Silmarillion is less detailed and DEVs would have more freedom.

• NekokekiNekokeki Member UncommonPosts: 76

I rarely come into these LOTR forums.  Maybe a couple times in one week every few months.  Yet every single time I come in, there is another one of these threads about there being no pvp.   These are no longer informative, nothing more than whining.  I wish people would give up. Poor poor LOTR: Online community, I feel your pain image

• Is this game like WOW?Same topic?Human Undead and ELF?
  • GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by paade

that might be very true but its not a very good reason to NOT have pvp in a MMORPG. I know they want to stick in lore but... i just hate to see LOTRO being so restricted.
    I wish they would make a MMORPG based on First or Second Age instead of LOTR... Silmarillion is less detailed and DEVs would have more freedom.

With no playable evil races there is no grounds for pvp. that is there bases for no pvp. If turbine had playable races then yes there would be pvp. The lore does not support the free people of middle earth killing each other for sport.

As for the silmarillion. It would be nice to see a game or a movie based on it. But Christopher tolkien holds the rights to the silmarillion and he has said he won't give any movie rights or any other rights to the silmarillion to perserve the writings. Or something like that. So no matter how much we would like to seea movie or game based on the silmarillion it won't happen as long as Chris Tolkien holds the rights.

imageimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LashersLashers Member Posts: 186

LOTR is the story that all RPG games including MMO's and table tops are based on.  It was the forerunner.  It has the perfect story for PvP with the ultimate good vs. evil storyline.  We would not have D&D, WoW, Everquest, etc. without LOTR.

It is very unfortunate they have chosen to not develop a PvP based game.  I really don't understand that decision.

Originally posted by templarga

I find it funny that people complain about PVP especially when a game doesn't have it. In contrast to that, I find it funnier that full PVP or FFA games have some of the lowest subscriber rates of any MMO's out there. Look at DAOC as an example. People screamed for years for a FFA server. They got their wish and its the lowest populated server in the game. Of course LOTR will not have PVP in its traditional sense b/c it does not fit with the lore. They will NOT have FFA b/c a Hobbit killing a dwarf is a total destruction of the lore.
    What is possible though is to introduce the evil races at a later date when the mechanics of the game are figured out and then introduce a warfare system. Have battlefields or something to that effect where warfare is conducted. But have it restricted to formations or sieges or something like that. Possible I would think. This would fit into the Middle Earth universe better. But as I said, it would be something that would be introduced way down the road at a later date.

That is true, but there is no reason to not have implemented that before launch as WoW did.  Releasing that part of the game seperately as City of Heroes did is lame.  It would at least be a bit more exciting if they stated that was their intent.  At this point, there is no guarantee of that either. image
    They should have followed a format similar to WoW.  Replace Alliance with free races and Horde with Sauron's minions, allow duelling between same factions and you have yourself a wicked and exciting LOTR game.  Problem solved. image
  • GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

The problem is sauron's forces are slaves to his will. Why would you want to play a slave? Grant it a slave can think for themselves but live in constant fear of there master. I don't know about you but i have no desire to play a slave in a game. Even the evil men are slaves to his will, they do as he bids. Besides the fact that they will loose no matter what. The story already tells us that. If given the chose would you really pick the side that you know will be defeated. If they were to make helm's deep a battleground, evil would always loose. It is ordained by tolkien. The battle for minas tirith, evil looses. They can't just change the story to suite what they want. This game is based of off the books and a predetermined storyline. In the end saruon falls and all the great battles in the books evil looses.

Besides the fact, THIS IS NOT WOW!!!!! This is middle earth. Why do you all keep calling for it to be wow in a middel earth setting?? The lore of LoTR is totally differant from WOW. You can 't just change this to this and that to that and have too totally differant lores be the same thing.

The devs spent along time on the pvp matter and came to the conclusion that it does not fit in the lore of the books. Besides the fact that no matter how hard they try you will end up with a gankfest for a game with pvp. I know not everyone who loves pvp is a ganker or a griefer. I enjoy pvp to a certain extent, and i abhor ganking and griefing. But the fact remains that there is a vast majority of the pvper's out there  that love the ganking and griefing. And the only way you can stop from being part of it is if they implement safe zones or a peac party choose. This game is not being developed for open pvp which breeds the ganking and griefing.

Accept it. move on. There are so many other games that are coming out that will scratch that pvp itch for you. Darkfall is a all out you can kill friendly and enemy pvp environment. I predict darkfall will be the biggest gankfest in history of games, good thing they have no lvls to grind.

imageimage

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

I can't go arond ganking low levels, it's a noob game!!!

seriously, just because there isn't pvp doesn't mean that it's a freaking carebear game, carebear implies that the game is very easy, and seeing as how you know nothing about the game other than the fac that there will be no pvp...

I PvP in WoW, and i have a character on a pvp server, and I'll let you in on a little secret, the people who are on the pvp servers are actually worse at playing their classes than those on the PvE server...yes it's true, us carebears actually are more skilled than you uber leet people.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• grimsfieldgrimsfield Member Posts: 17

i actually really dont mind an absence of pvp, as long as the storyline and npcs are interesting. if the game has a dev team that cares than this should be a decent game.

maybe im just tired of pvp in mmos after mxo and guild wars, but im looking forward to the change.

• RupsRups Member Posts: 53

Bah.....
    This is a childs game.
    BurningPain

"Look mama, I can post in the forums!"
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

hilarious, the op thinks killing people in a game makes them mature.

I never knew Counterstrike was being played by adults only, geez.

• werewolftimwerewolftim Member Posts: 26
    considering this is a game where you have who knows how many players, all wanting to do there own thing, its not really followin the storyline very much anyways. the dev should have at least done pvp servers or battlegrounds for the people who want to do that.
  • pacashe109pacashe109 Member Posts: 41
    hmmm....thats kind of weird that the starting post said its for 10-16 years olds becus it doesnt have pvp...im 15 and i love pvp but not on lord of the rings that would just be retarded and i guarantee your in that age range with that comment because i make retarded statements like that all the time....
  • werewolftimwerewolftim Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by werewolftim
    considering this is a game where you have who knows how many players, all wanting to do there own thing, its not really followin the storyline very much anyways. the dev should have at least done pvp servers or battlegrounds for the people who want to do that.

if you wanna follow the story line, get one the singleplayer versions, like return of the king or the two towers
  • strayhumanstrayhuman Member Posts: 8

It seems to me that no one has mentioned what may be the real reason for no PvP in this game.  I really dont think it has to do with the lore, because it is good versus evil so it is by nature set up to have conflict between people.  The real reason is probably from a pure gaming perspective.

First off the genre is full of Fantasy MMORPGs.  And WoW being the biggest competitor this game will have to differenciate itself if it wants to succeed.  If they add a WoW type, faction based PvP, why not just play WoW?

Second trying to play balence a PvP and PvE game is very hard.  If you match things for PvP you screw them up for PvE you cant really have a good play experience at both.  Anyone who has actually played a real paper RPG will know that some characters are really support for the group, like the healer.  In a good PvE balenced game the healer with get the crap beat out of him every time by just about every other type of character.  Also on the flip, no group could survive without a healer in it and they have to protect him.   Whereas in PvP the characters are all farely balenced so they offer a challenge to each other.  A fighter type has to use certin tactics versus a mage and others on thieves, etc.  But each character type has a good chance with a good player at the helm to win.  So a PvP balence in a PvE world leads to almost all soloing, there is no need for a group.  And a PvE balence in a PvP world leads to people playing only a few character types.

I hope that makes sense.  It would seem to me a smart choice.  In most of the games Ive played(AC, AC2, DOAC, E&B, EVE,WoW, Horizons,EQ2,SWG,AO) as i recall the non PVP servers when offered were more populated.  Therefore it makes complete sense that turbine would choose to set themselves appart and go for a pure PvE game.  That would allow them to make a much deeper grouping based game, even if it sacrifices some potential players due to no PvP.  If they can get all the carebears out there to subscribe, this game would be hugely successful.