Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Share the first impression on BDO

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    First impression of the game: The 2nd coming of Jesus Christ.

First impression of the monetization/cash shop model: not so much.
  • caine6621caine6621 Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Mixmasta said:
    caine6621 said:
    Mixmasta said:
    I never made it past character creation. Once I found out all the classes I wanted to play forced me to pretend I was little girl, I quit. I should have read more about it before buying I guess.  
    I absolutely do not get the problem with this

For many people, part of enjoying themselves in an RPG is immersing themselves in the character. You get to be the character for a while.  It's not just about pressing a required number of keystrokes to win a pixel prize. When you play enough you get to identify with the character and the world they live in. They're challenges and victories are yours for a couple of hours while you play. It's one of the reasons people find character customization so important, or why they will spend a ridiculous amount of time grinding for some piece of equipment that has only aesthetic value.

I can't immerse myself in a game as a little girl. I can't identify with that character. I can't BE them.

I understand that you can and that's OK, but it's not for me, and that's my true first impression.

Well, you might not be able to "be" the character, but you can stare at her ass.  Most of what you look at with your character in any MMO is their butt, so it's not necessarily a bad thing to play a chick character.  That's why I like to make chick characters, anyway.

Plus, these are role-playing games.  Role-playing games are cool cause they let you be someone else.  That's kind of the point.

I'm not saying you're insecure in your masculinity or anything, but I'd suggest giving it a shot, if not in BDO, then some MMO.
    That is the exact reason I started playing female character lol

I am not saying it's ideal you play a toon that you can't identify with but to not play a game for simply that reason is what I don't understand.

You will never see me play a non human character as long as I have a choice, but to not play a game because I am required to be an Orc just doesn't register.

There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

The most in-depth and immersive MMORPG out right now by far.  A refreshing  break from the dozens of same old theme park clones that have inundated the market in the past few years.  BDO has renewed hope in the MMORPG industry.   
  • MixmastaMixmasta Member UncommonPosts: 4
    caine6621 said:
    Mixmasta said:
    caine6621 said:
    Mixmasta said:
    I never made it past character creation. Once I found out all the classes I wanted to play forced me to pretend I was little girl, I quit. I should have read more about it before buying I guess.  
    I absolutely do not get the problem with this

For many people, part of enjoying themselves in an RPG is immersing themselves in the character. You get to be the character for a while.  It's not just about pressing a required number of keystrokes to win a pixel prize. When you play enough you get to identify with the character and the world they live in. They're challenges and victories are yours for a couple of hours while you play. It's one of the reasons people find character customization so important, or why they will spend a ridiculous amount of time grinding for some piece of equipment that has only aesthetic value.

I can't immerse myself in a game as a little girl. I can't identify with that character. I can't BE them.

I understand that you can and that's OK, but it's not for me, and that's my true first impression.

Well, you might not be able to "be" the character, but you can stare at her ass.  Most of what you look at with your character in any MMO is their butt, so it's not necessarily a bad thing to play a chick character.  That's why I like to make chick characters, anyway.

Plus, these are role-playing games.  Role-playing games are cool cause they let you be someone else.  That's kind of the point.

I'm not saying you're insecure in your masculinity or anything, but I'd suggest giving it a shot, if not in BDO, then some MMO.
    That is the exact reason I started playing female character lol

I am not saying it's ideal you play a toon that you can't identify with but to not play a game for simply that reason is what I don't understand.

You will never see me play a non human character as long as I have a choice, but to not play a game because I am required to be an Orc just doesn't register.
    "I'm not saying you're insecure in your masculinity or anything, but I'd suggest giving it a shot, if not in BDO, then some MMO."

I've been playing MMOs for 17 years. I've played 30+ MMOs. I've probably played (by choice) 15 different female characters. I can say with some certainty that it's not as engaging for me. And I'd rather stare at another toon's butt, not my own. Unfortunately for both of us, it was probably yours.  :)

"I am not saying it's ideal you play a toon that you can't identify with but to not play a game for simply that reason is what I don't understand."

You're probably right, but with so many MMOs to choose from, first impressions are important. If you plan on investing hundreds of hours in it, it may as well be good. Gender locking makes me feel like the dev's were too lazy to make two models for the class. Maybe that's a good thing, and they used all that extra time to make game-play better, but I still have only my first impression, which is what this thread is about.

That said, I may still roll a Ranger or a Tamer sometime when i feel like embracing my inner little girl. Or I'll wait and see if a new class/sex combination appeals to me in an expansion.

• PwltPwlt Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Pretty but with bizarre and annoying pop-in, genderlock frustrating, ui and gameplay feel even more frustrating...
    UO, EQ, AC, AO, RM, WOW, AC2, SWG, EQ2, GW2, RIFT, TERA, AA, TSW.
  • wiennaswiennas Member UncommonPosts: 67
    edited March 2016
    I arrived to lvl 39, farming becoming boring and outside of this, nothing there for me. Alone forbidden trading between players makes this game (for me) unplayable, on top of all solo centric gameplay or hack & slash ''teamplay'', well you have to like such stuff to play BDO for a longer period. I can't complain I had know in advance that this game is a lemon with a little sugar. If is for you,... check metacritic,..or some other objective websites for reviews, even better - get a 7 days passwort.
  • AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Total piece of crap. You don't play the game, it plays you with auto pathing and basically no story at all. Combat is bland as shit too. B&S combat is better and i hate that game too. The black thing is a game killer. Worse than Navi from Zelda: Ocerena of Time. UI is a jumbled mess. You will, literally, spend hours finding hidden UI elements and such. This game panders to the lazy gamer who, literally, wants everything handed to them. In order to die you have to just stand still but, that's not even enough. Graphics are a million times better in FF and ESO. Controller support sucks too. Worst ever. The voice acting, what little there is, is atrocious. The localization is off the chain fucked up real bad. All in all, it's just ArchAge 2.0, you know, you can't do shit without those action points. You gain them every 3 or whatever minutes so, might as well keep the game up 24/7 if you want to craft or gather or really do ANYTHING. Waste of time. If you want to play BDO to it's fullest and enjoy the game, delete any games you have and make BDO the only game you play. I play FF, Marvel Heroes, ESO, and SWTOR. I had to quit all those games to get enjoyment or fulfillment out of the game for 2 weeks. Yes, you want to get the most out of the game, keep BDO up 24/7 and quit every other games you might be playing. Action points. Don't regen offline. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the laugh. 
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Finally, after about 12 hours of gaming, I think it clicked. Im getting used to my sorceress and getting nice skills. Combat feels very good and quick now.
    I'm now getting behind most of the other things like trading, nodes, communication, crafting etc...but there are still lots of smaller and bigger question marks for me. But thats fine. The phase where you explore and learn a complex game is always very interesting.

Looks like i'm staying and really enjoying my time from now on!

Hodor!

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    First Impressions went a little like this:
    "Its a Sandbox!"
    "JK, No its not"
    "Its okay its a pseudo-Sandbox, Good enough in in todays game styles!"
    *Sees cash shop and depth of "Sandbox" elements (Shallow)"
    Uninstall.

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    My first impression. BDO turned out to be like the kind of booze that when you take your first you are like "Damn that thing seems weak" then you wake up after 10 hours with a hangover, on a boat, in the middle of a lake wondering what hit you.

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    edited April 2016
    The engine is both good and bad. Good effects and textures. Bad pop-in and shimmer/aliasing for some.

The economy is good and bad too. There are a lot of options... a lot of systems to make money, which is good. It is also made in a way to help stop gold selling and other things. The bad thing is though that you cannot trade with other players. That sort of makes it feel a little like all the game is a bit of a solo rpg.

It could probably use a lot more group-centric content, or just things to do with a partner or small group. It almost feels like a single player rpg sometimes because of how the systems seem to work and the fact none of them really have any relation to other players. Of course the pvp certainly does though.

I am on the fence with this one... One of the biggest pros for me to 'maybe' purchasing the game is that it isn't sub based, it is buy to play. I think funnily enough it could actually be deserved of being a sub based game, considering all the systems it has in the game. It is actually pretty good compared to some sub based games out there I think, which generally seem to be more complete with more content and game systems than free to play or buy to play games.

I could go into things a lot deeper and point out other specific mechanics that are either good or bad. I really think though this game is subjective anyway. I can see how some would really enjoy it and others would not. It really does have it's good and bad points.
    Post edited by Graveblade on
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • BartrumBartrum Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Immersive.  Distractions.  Depth.  Most fun I've had since UO.

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    I love the game.  I love Pearl Abyss.  I do not love Daum's business strat and I'm concerned what their tendrils will do to the game.  Calpheon is one of the greatest (if not the greatest) cities to ever be represented in an MMO.  The mechanics and feature set found in BDO is both refreshing and innovative and I find that I have a first impressions often in the game when I encounter something new.
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    its not bad but like every mmorpg from over seas it gets boring fast and basically just a grind that is not fun..the combat is just like 90% on overseas  mmorpgs now with the "combo action style" which is really annoying and i hate because it works good for some classes but works awful for some..i just dont care for the action type combat with combos stuff...i guess im old school..glad it was only 30$ iv spent much more on much worse..oh and the lil black spirit thingy's voice in the game is very disturbing to me also another turn off n sounds alot like a some sort of cute ,possessed demonic soul,but i guess thats what  it is but hearing it over n over n over again freaks me out at times  and disturbing to keep hearing soo many times lol
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2016
    Jean-Luc_Picard said:
    Why don't you keep on playing on the KR server then (with a proxy) ?
    It is amazing to watch how little you know about the game you hype.

I guess that is a source of hype in general....
    Post edited by Gdemami on
    edited April 2016
    its not bad but like every mmorpg from over seas it gets boring fast and basically just a grind that is not fun..the combat is just like 90% on overseas  mmorpgs now with the "combo action style" which is really annoying and i hate because it works good for some classes but works awful for some..i just dont care for the action type combat with combos stuff...i guess im old school..glad it was only 30$ iv spent much more on much worse..oh and the lil black spirit thingy's voice in the game is very disturbing to me also another turn off n sounds alot like a some sort of cute ,possessed demonic soul,but i guess thats what  it is but hearing it over n over n over again freaks me out at times  and disturbing to keep hearing soo many times lol

You can turn the Black Spirit notifications off in your control menu to the point that he can be literally forgotten. You will get no on-screen notices or noises from the Black Spirit once you do so.  The only thing you will see is a small indication on the menu in the lower right side of the screen as a reminder that the Black Spirit has something for you, if you chose to partake in it.  

This is a perfect example of something that the game gives a player the absolute ability to control and yet so many would rather complain than to do a little research and find a resolution.  There are so many things about this game that fall into this category.  The game is not a mindless gankfest, it requires one to think.  I suppose in that regard, it is no wonder that there is a subset of players who fail to enjoy it.  
  • ZdarcZdarc Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Love it!

Played non-stop since head start and once I cracked the top 10 in fishing I just had to keep going. I'm nearly master fisher and then I'll be working on other life skills.

PvP will come later for me.. right now enjoying doing everything else. I've been PK'd once while fishing (not a big deal as I wasn't afk so just swam back from the nearest node.. 20 seconds). 

Once was randomly kicked by some idiot on a horse (which was funny as he fell off his horse his first try) while I was mining. Other than that I haven't been harassed and the world is so big you rarely bump into idiots like that. I don't grind spots though. I didn't rush to max level (in fact many levels I got just from fishing/gathering/crafting).

A lot better than Archeage (which I loved in Alpha). Nobody can take your fish or boat. Nobody can block you with carts etc. There are items in the cash shop that enhance your game play as a fisher (swim costume) but I didn't mind the cost since there is no monthly sub.

Some systems are a little confusing to begin with but easy once you figure them out. Translation is lacking in some areas as well as wrong quest info (some have been fixed but I still find errors).

I don't care how I look or gender locked classes but I know some do (which I find odd but whatever). The game play is great and that's all that counts for me.

It's not perfect but has me hooked.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

You can turn the Black Spirit notifications off in your control menu to the point that he can be literally forgotten. You will get no on-screen notices or noises from the Black Spirit once you do so.  The only thing you will see is a small indication on the lower left side of the screen as a reminder that the Black Spirit has something for you, if you chose to partake in it.  

This is a perfect example of something that the game gives a player the absolute ability to control and yet so many would rather complain than to do a little research and find a resolution.  There are so many things about this game that fall into this category.  The game is not a mindless gankfest, it requires one to think.  I suppose in that regard, it is no wonder that there is a subset of players who will not enjoy it.  
    geesh guy calm down..sry i didnt care for your pretty lil game..people have their own opinions and i gave mine..ima filthy casual now with a busy RL and dont know every in / outs to a korean mmorpg lol ..so now giving an opinion is complaining? god i love the interweb! =)

• RighteousRighteous Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Would one of you please PM/send me a USA North America key to try the game? I'm likely to purchase this weekend if I like it. Please quote me if you send one so I can change this request. Thanks alot!

You can turn the Black Spirit notifications off in your control menu to the point that he can be literally forgotten. You will get no on-screen notices or noises from the Black Spirit once you do so.  The only thing you will see is a small indication on the lower left side of the screen as a reminder that the Black Spirit has something for you, if you chose to partake in it.  

This is a perfect example of something that the game gives a player the absolute ability to control and yet so many would rather complain than to do a little research and find a resolution.  There are so many things about this game that fall into this category.  The game is not a mindless gankfest, it requires one to think.  I suppose in that regard, it is no wonder that there is a subset of players who will not enjoy it.  
    geesh guy calm down..sry i didnt care for your pretty lil game..people have their own opinions and i gave mine..ima filthy casual now with a busy RL and dont know every in / outs to a korean mmorpg lol ..so now giving an opinion is complaining? god i love the interweb! =)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Notice I didn't comment about the part in your post in which you gave your opinion.  I did, however, comment on the part of your post complaining about something that can be easily resolved in game.  That was not an opinion.  That was an unnecessary gripe.  There is a difference. Accept your failure in that regard and its all good.   
  • Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    My first impression was Korean CBT1 about year and a half ago - one of the best MMOs I ever played.

The game today is a pale shadow of what it was in CBT1 due to DAUM changing the direction of the game so much - but it's still a very good game.
    Why don't you keep on playing on the KR server then (with a proxy) ?

I do in have my blader there, but the current Korean version is nothing like it was in CBT1 when it was very much a PvP focused game and PvP was enabled at level 15 without karma penalties. 

I can relate to that playing FFXIV 1.23 then trying to play 2.0 onward. Thankfully I did not play the KR CBT1 however I closely followed the game and there is no shortage of players that noted all the changes onward and it's truly disappointing.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Black Desert is another step in the right direction. 
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240

You can turn the Black Spirit notifications off in your control menu to the point that he can be literally forgotten. You will get no on-screen notices or noises from the Black Spirit once you do so.  The only thing you will see is a small indication on the menu in the lower right side of the screen as a reminder that the Black Spirit has something for you, if you chose to partake in it.  

This is a perfect example of something that the game gives a player the absolute ability to control and yet so many would rather complain than to do a little research and find a resolution.  There are so many things about this game that fall into this category.  The game is not a mindless gankfest, it requires one to think.  I suppose in that regard, it is no wonder that there is a subset of players who fail to enjoy it.  
    Absolutely agree.
    Another dimwitted complaint is the "bad ui" as if you can't completely redesign it using the "edit ui" options, "Simplfy ui" option "or "Crop" option.

That some people are just to fekking lazy and/or stupid is fine. Don't mind it a bit, but why do they have to share their laziness/stupidity with everyone else?
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    It completely failed to attract me, an old lineage player, no MMO so far beats Lineage when it comes to OW pvp and an OW environment which enables several pvp opportunities.
  • Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited April 2016
    My initial impression was positively awful. The nature of the UI and how it communicates important information is astonishingly bad for such a high profile title. With that said, once I persevered for a few hours, I found myself slowly becoming more and more engaged with the actual gameplay.

It's too early for me to give any real assessment, I can only say I'm enjoying it more than ArcheAge and that I'm enjoying it less than I truly want to. It has potential (but most non copy/pasta MMO's do), but there are several significant turn offs that are precluding me from enjoying the game the way I want to.

I was hopeful it would fill the void before Pantheon, Camelot Unchained and Saga of Lucimia, but it may end up only being a short diversion. Time will tell and I'm still willing to give it a chance for a few weeks. That's more than I can say for a shockingly large amount of newer MMO's these days.

Edit: I should note a major + for me is the fact that you are able to mob grind successfully in BDO. I understand this is not a positive for a lot of modern MMO gamers, but I grew up on EQ and have always enjoyed killing mobs for XP more than questing. I enjoyed doing it in early ESO, and I enjoy it here. Don't force me to do bullshit quests ad nauseum, I'd rather grind in combat, ideally with other people. For this, I give BDO great praise.

Edit 2: Re-reading my comment I feel it comes off a bit too harsh. I truly am willing to give this title a chance and reserve the right to be pleasantly surprised. It certainly does a few key things very well.