Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online Review

13»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited March 2016

If you are worried about dying from mobs in BDO, something is very wrong. From 1-45 I never upgraded my gear, never used food, and grinding was pitifully easy. You don't need brain cells to grind in this game. For older people, who played like this it may be enjoyable, but it became stale very fast for me. At least with WoW you had something to read from quest, and pique your interest. You don't even have that with BDO.
    There are very few games that have "difficult" leveling. The point about mobs is that they are, in the most straightforward way, "power-ups".

Lotro? Exceptionally easy. WoW? Exceptionally Easy. Blade and Soul? Aion? Everquest 2? Star Wars the Old Republic? Exceptionally easy.

At least with a game like Black Desert, one can fight groups of mobs of a higher level than you and actually add to the challenge.

Try being a melee and soloing groups of shadow knights and making sure one doesn't get in back of you. At least grinding in this game is fast paced and fun for those who like fast paced more actiony combat.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Pepeq said:
    "The huge selling point of BDO is PvP. The only problem is: PvP doesn't start until level 45. This is a sin I hope no game ever repeats. You do not delay your biggest selling point until the end of the game."

Hate to tell you this, but PVP is the end game in BDO... that's why it doesn't happen until the end of the game.  Not much unlike say WoW, in which raiding happens at the end of the game... hence the term "end game".

To show you how silly your statement is...

"The huge selling point of WoW is raiding.  The only problem is:  Raiding doesn't start until max level.  This is a sin I hope no game ever repeats.  You do not delay your biggest selling point until the end of the game."

Completely wrong. WoW has both PvE and PvP endgames, and even if you don't enjoy those you can preoccupy yourself with pet battles and questing. You can participate in all of that content very early and there is little to no barrier of entry. BDO is the complete opposite. BDOs endgame and central marketing point is node warfare, pvp, and sieges. You cant do any of that until the end of the game. This huge central part of the game you cant experience until the end, but with WoW, I can do battlegrounds, pet battles, lfr, or whatever endgame content I enjoy very early.
    Sovrath said:

If you are worried about dying from mobs in BDO, something is very wrong. From 1-45 I never upgraded my gear, never used food, and grinding was pitifully easy. You don't need brain cells to grind in this game. For older people, who played like this it may be enjoyable, but it became stale very fast for me. At least with WoW you had something to read from quest, and pique your interest. You don't even have that with BDO.
    There are very few games that have "difficult" leveling. The point about mobs is that they are, in the most straightforward way, "power-ups".

Lotro? Exceptionally easy. WoW? Exceptionally Easy. Blade and Soul? Aion? Everquest 2? Star Wars the Old Republic? Exceptionally easy.

At least with a game like Black Desert, one can fight groups of mobs of a higher level than you and actually add to the challenge.

Try being a melee and soloing groups of shadow knights and making sure one doesn't get in back of you. At least grinding in this game is fast paced and fun for those who like fast paced more actiony combat.

I do play melee. I play a Sorc. If your intent is to level as quickly as possible, you have probably read the Black Desert Bible, it list the best mobs to grind at every level. Grinding level appropriate mobs is a snooze fest but the most efficient thing to do. Sure, if you want more of a challenge you can tackle higher level mobs, but you can do that in any game. I did exactly that because I didn't enjoy the grind, I started grinding purple mobs who were significantly stronger than me. That wasn't a challenge either, the only thing I had to do was not get hit, and with Sorcs teleportation and mobility this was an easy task. I eventually stopped because it wasn't very efficient, but the only difference was, I wasn't face-tanking like I was previously. 
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited March 2016
    This is the most negative review I've read so far in regards to BDO. When he said "crafting is alright." I had to laugh because this is one of the best crafting games to come out in a long time. I think a lot of players are brainwashed waiting for the game to guide them. I think once you realize there is no set pattern are objective to follow; then you can really start appreciating the beauty of this game.
    BDOs crafting is "alright" because its not bad or good. Compare it to FFXIVs crafting and it has no depth or imagination. As I said, its the same as every MMO, the only difference is: it requires more steps. You click something, wait a second, and get something. Its not interactive, its just a more time consuming version of every other MMO.
    Azmodeus said:
    Stopped reading after line 1 :    The PvE is lackluster, unimaginative, and boring.

This is the most I have played a game since EQ1 in 1999 and the only game since then I am literally afraid to die in.   Some of use prefer grinding on mobs instead of easy mode quest hub themeparks like all the crap out there now. 

Best thing about the game, is that it is a niche game, and not made to try to make everyone like it.. cough.. WoW.

Combat in BDO is only as difficult as the player chooses it to be.  Of course, if you grind mobs that are below your level or just a few levels higher the combat is going to be "pitifully easy."  If, however, you grind mobs that are purple, or the requisite levels above you to make it fun and challenging, then the combat will be exactly that, much more fun and challenging.  BDO's world is a free and open world that allows you to pursue what you want to pursue at your discretion. The game does not gate, or restrict a player, from grinding mobs at any particular level.  As an alternative, if you really feel that mobs are too easy, then don't wear your best armor or use your best weapon.  If challenge is what you seek, then go with lower grade armor and a less powerful weapon, and seek out mobs that blink purple to you.  There is little doubt in my mind that if those claiming BDO combat to be easy where to do that, they would not only find combat challenging, but they would even find themselves dieing a few times as a result.  I guess some would rather come to a forum and complain about easy mobs, than using their imagination and making the game work for them.

Regarding crafting, I am not one to throw salt at a game.  Its just not my style.  I like FFXIV's, but to say that FFXIV's crafting is more indepth, or requires any more imagination than crafting in BDO is an exaggeration of epic proportions.  FFXIV's crafting is no deeper, or requires any more imagination, than BDO's crafting. IMHO,BDO's crafting requires more imagination and is much more enjoyable than FFXIV's.  Not only because it gives the player the option to craft things for themselves, but it also gives them the additional capability of dispatching and managing workers as they set out to craft things for them.  That said, this is all subjective.  No one way is better than another.  It's all a matter of preference.

In parting I'll just say this, showing a little objectivity on a thread in which one posted a game review will go a long way toward giving that review a lot more credence.  
    This is the most negative review I've read so far in regards to BDO. When he said "crafting is alright." I had to laugh because this is one of the best crafting games to come out in a long time. I think a lot of players are brainwashed waiting for the game to guide them. I think once you realize there is no set pattern are objective to follow; then you can really start appreciating the beauty of this game.
    BDOs crafting is "alright" because its not bad or good. Compare it to FFXIVs crafting and it has no depth or imagination. As I said, its the same as every MMO, the only difference is: it requires more steps. You click something, wait a second, and get something. Its not interactive, its just a more time consuming version of every other MMO.
    Azmodeus said:
    Stopped reading after line 1 :    The PvE is lackluster, unimaginative, and boring.

This is the most I have played a game since EQ1 in 1999 and the only game since then I am literally afraid to die in.   Some of use prefer grinding on mobs instead of easy mode quest hub themeparks like all the crap out there now. 

Best thing about the game, is that it is a niche game, and not made to try to make everyone like it.. cough.. WoW.

Combat in BDO is only as difficult as the player chooses it to be.  Of course, if you grind mobs that are below your level or just a few levels higher the combat is going to be "pitifully easy."  If, however, you grind mobs that are purple, or the requisite levels above you to make it fun and challenging, then the combat will be exactly that, much more fun and challenging.  BDO's world is a free and open world that allows you to pursue what you want to pursue at your discretion. The game does not gate, or restrict a player, from grinding mobs at any particular level.  As an alternative, if you really feel that mobs are too easy, then don't wear your best armor or use your best weapon.  If challenge is what you seek, then go with lower grade armor and a less powerful weapon, and seek out mobs that blink purple to you.  There is little doubt in my mind that if those claiming BDO combat to be easy where to do that, they would not only find combat challenging, but they would even find themselves dieing a few times as a result.  I guess some would rather come to a forum and complain about easy mobs, than using their imagination and making the game work for them.

Regarding crafting, I am not one to throw salt at a game.  Its just not my style.  I like FFXIV's, but to say that FFXIV's crafting is more indepth, or requires any more imagination than crafting in BDO is an exaggeration of epic proportions.  FFXIV's crafting is no deeper, or requires any more imagination, than BDO's crafting. IMHO,BDO's crafting requires more imagination and is much more enjoyable than FFXIV's.  Not only because it gives the player the option to craft things for themselves, but it also gives them the additional capability of dispatching and managing workers as they set out to craft things for them.  That said, this is all subjective.  No one way is better than another.  It's all a matter of preference.

In parting I'll just say this, showing a little objectivity on a thread in which you posted a game review will go a long way toward giving that review a lot of credence.  
    Think about that. In order for you to make the combat in this game even remotely difficult or intriguing you have to do all that, and even then its easy. That's just reflective of how sad this games PvE is.

FFXIVs crafting is 100x better than BDO. You can craft stuff for yourself in any game, and clicking a "repeat" button to have my workers gather potatoes is hardly enjoyable. I cant even sell what they give me because the marketplace is over ridden with worker matts. I can agree that it comes down to preference, but you cant seriously believe BDOs crafting is close to FFXIVs without having a massive hard-on and bias for this game.

I've been nothing but objective in this review. As others have said, I've been very fair. There are things I like, and things I dislike. But I have a good reason behind all of it. You on the other hand, have a huge bias for this game.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Azmodeus said:

In parting I'll just say this, showing a little objectivity on a thread in which you posted a game review will go a long way toward giving that review a lot of credence.  
    Think about that. In order for you to make the combat in this game even remotely difficult or intriguing you have to do all that, and even then its easy. That's just reflective of how sad this games PvE is.

FFXIVs crafting is 100x better than BDO. You can craft stuff for yourself in any game, and clicking a "repeat" button to have my workers gather potatoes is hardly enjoyable. I cant even sell what they give me because the marketplace is over ridden with worker matts. I can agree that it comes down to preference, but you cant seriously believe BDOs crafting is close to FFXIVs without having a massive hard-on and bias for this game.

I've been nothing but objective in this review. As others have said, I've been very fair. There are things I like, and things I dislike. But I have a good reason behind all of it. You on the other hand, have a huge bias for this game.
    I readily admit i like the game.  Unlike yourself, who pretends to be objective but posts a review that is grossly subjective and clearly slants toward a negative point of view.

Sadly, you don't even notice your bias.  Although you really tried to conceal it, the true colors behind your negative bias shines through in the above post.  If you really think this game is so sad, why even rate it a 3.5/5?  That is just a masquerade to deceive the reader when your review has nothing but "this game sucks, dont waste your time" written all over it.

You shouldn't of even wasted your time writing the review.  It's nothing but a hit piece masquerading for an objective review.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Iselin said:
    ArChWind said:
    ... the real game starts at 50+
    That's just so original. I've never heard that said before about any MMORPG... ever.

You heard it here first folks. Any enjoyment you get before 50 is an illusion. You really are not having fun, you just think you are.
    Between 45 and 50 there are a lot of areas still open where you don't run toe to toe with others and mostly don't have to deal with super assholes but after 50 things start changing. The places to get decent experience is narrowed down to 12 areas. The number of people grinding exceeds the areas available so you have to start flagging or like I said go to the docks and afk fish.

I don't want a ton of alts and I don't want to keep going forward 1% and backwards 1% or even 2%.

Enjoy the game while you can but I bet in 6 months your tune will change.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    ArChWind said:
    That's just so original. I've never heard that said before about any MMORPG... ever.

You heard it here first folks. Any enjoyment you get before 50 is an illusion. You really are not having fun, you just think you are.
    It's probably more accurate to say "Your current game ends at 50+" instead of "The real game starts at 50+".
    It's almost like you guys have never even heard of alts... must be tough rolling one character and only one. My Blader, for example, will be level 1 in about 2 weeks :)

My blader will be level 1 for about 5 seconds in 2 weeks ;)
    Pfft... I can get to level 2 in 3 seconds.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

ArChWind said:
    Iselin said:
    ArChWind said:

Between 45 and 50 there are a lot of areas still open where you don't run toe to toe with others and mostly don't have to deal with super assholes but after 50 things start changing. The places to get decent experience is narrowed down to 12 areas. The number of people grinding exceeds the areas available so you have to start flagging or like I said go to the docks and afk fish.

I don't want a ton of alts and I don't want to keep going forward 1% and backwards 1% or even 2%.

Look man, I understand your perspective. You're the type of min/maxing gamer who plays to grind there first and be highest level always. I get it. There have always been players like you. In your world there are always just one best place to grind, one best weapon to have, etc.

If it wasn't for the fact that you guys burn through the game and get bored fast, I'd say "great for you, enjoy it how you like it." As it is though, you really don't have a clue that the majority of us enjoy playing differently than the way you play it... enjoying the journey, the scenery, the fishing. All that stuff you turn your nose up at while being miserable burn-outs in your empty "end game" world.

I do have some sympathy for what you do to yourselves. Just can't take your one liner pronouncements about any games you play seriously though.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Iselin said:

ArChWind said:
    Iselin said:
    ArChWind said:

Look man, I understand your perspective. You're the type of min/maxing gamer who plays to grind there first and be highest level always. I get it. There have always been players like you. In your world there are always just one best place to grind, one best weapon to have, etc.

If it wasn't for the fact that you guys burn through the game and get bored fast, I'd say "great for you, enjoy it how you like it." As it is though, you really don't have a clue that the majority of us enjoy playing differently than the way you play it... enjoying the journey, the scenery, the fishing. All that stuff you turn your nose up at while being miserable burn-outs in your empty "end game" world.

I do have some sympathy for what you do to yourselves. Just can't take your one liner pronouncements about any games you play seriously though.
    Yep I paid a dear price for my hurry. Just take your time and spend a year or so getting there.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited March 2016
    Azmodeus said:

I readily admit i like the game.  Unlike yourself, who pretends to be objective but posts a review that is grossly subjective and clearly slants toward a negative point of view.

Sadly, you don't even notice your bias.  Although you really tried to conceal it, the true colors behind your negative bias shines through in the above post.  If you really think this game is so sad, why even rate it a 3.5/5?  That is just a masquerade to deceive the reader when your review has nothing but "this game sucks, dont waste your time" written all over it.

You shouldn't of even wasted your time writing the review.  It's nothing but a hit piece masquerading for an objective review.

You do know that a review can be objective and have a negative slant to it, right?  Maybe, just maybe, there are actually more negative things to the game than positive things.  I know of course that is impossible for you to imagine.

This tirade of yours here only proves your bias.  Where exactly did he call the game "sad"? Where did he say "this game sucks"?

All he said is he thinks in the post above is he thinks the crafting is better in ffxiv than BDO.  He didn't even say crafting is bad in BDO, but you jump down his throat for having the gall to question the divine supremacy of all things BDO in MMORPGS.

And you guys telling people to equip bad gear and fight mobs above your level to make the game challenging- seriously, get real.

Post edited by holdenhamlet on
    Azmodeus said:

You do know that a review can be objective and have a negative slant to it, right?  Maybe, just maybe, there are actually more negative things to the game than positive things.  I know of course that is impossible for you to imagine.

This tirade of yours here only proves your bias.  Where exactly did he call the game "sad"? Where did he say "this game sucks"?

All he said is he thinks in the post above is he thinks the crafting is better in ffxiv than BDO.  He didn't even say crafting is bad in BDO, but you jump down his throat for having the gall to question the divine supremacy of all things BDO in MMORPGS.

And you guys telling people to equip bad gear and fight mobs above your level to make the game challenging- seriously, get real.

Fanboys cant recognize their own bias. Just let him be, its more revealing and pathetic than anything.
    I cant even sell what they give me because the marketplace is over ridden with worker matts.
    Buy potatoes, sell beer, and you get a benefit. And people always want beer, even now the better worker food is more common.

Don't limit what's possible to the limits of your own imagination.

I've been nothing but objective in this review.
    Within you own limits of WoW player, I guess you were quite objective. Some people also believe WoW was the first MMORPG.
    Right now beer sells for around 800 silver on my server. It cost 240 silver and 1 energy to make it. After the 30% market tax I'll make about 400 silver. 1 energy is not worth 400 silver. I can make that in 5 seconds from grinding trash mobs. Sure, you can craft beer, but its not worth it. You could be doing something better with the energy, time, and money. This isn't about limits or imagination, this is about cost analysis. The surplus of worker matts have made a lot of things not worth buying, doing, or making.

Also, I haven't played WoW in years. Being a WoW player doesn't magically make someones opinion less valid. Your bias, ignorance, and ego are showing.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited March 2016
    monochrome19 said:
    Right now beer sells for around 800 silver on my server. It cost 240 silver and 1 energy to make it. After the 30% market tax I'll make about 400 silver. 1 energy is not worth 400 silver. I can make that in 5 seconds from grinding trash mobs. Sure, you can craft beer, but its not worth it. You could be doing something better with the energy, time, and money. This isn't about limits or imagination, this is about cost analysis. The surplus of worker matts have made a lot of things not worth buying, doing, or making.

Also, I haven't played WoW in years. Being a WoW player doesn't magically make someones opinion less valid. Your bias, ignorance, and ego are showing.
    Pretty much this. People praising the game mostly praise the crafting because it simply "fits" them but they are otherwise very clueless - the beer case being perfect example.

It reminds me EVE Online and people selling below NPC prices, arguing minerals they mined themselves being "free"... Same story...

I loved your review. There is still quite a bias there but you are looking at the game as it is and present it as it is.

Thanks.
    "WoW player" isn't pejorative to me, since I'm one too since release in Nov. 2004. But some people can only conceive MMORPGs to be like WoW (or EQ), some grind to some "end game", and those players have a hard time to understand games like BDO (or UO, or AC1).

And the beer was just an simple example to show you can make money 100% with the AH. I could make some calculations for more complicated things, but sorry, you're not worth my time since nothing will convince you anyway.

Time to expand my ignore list.
    "Nothing will convince you anyway." Ironic.
    "Time to expand my ignore list." Salty.

The truth hurts.
    Gdemami said:
    monochrome19 said:

Pretty much this. People praising the game mostly praise the crafting because it simply "fits" them but they are otherwise very clueless - the beer case being perfect example.

It reminds me EVE Online and people selling below NPC prices, arguing minerals they mined themselves being "free"... Same story...

I loved your review. There is still quite a bias there but you are looking at the game as it is and present it as it is.

Thanks.
    Thank you kind sir. I try.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Sovrath said:

I do play melee. I play a Sorc. If your intent is to level as quickly as possible, you have probably read the Black Desert Bible, it list the best mobs to grind at every level. Grinding level appropriate mobs is a snooze fest but the most efficient thing to do. Sure, if you want more of a challenge you can tackle higher level mobs, but you can do that in any game. I did exactly that because I didn't enjoy the grind, I started grinding purple mobs who were significantly stronger than me. That wasn't a challenge either, the only thing I had to do was not get hit, and with Sorcs teleportation and mobility this was an easy task. I eventually stopped because it wasn't very efficient, but the only difference was, I wasn't face-tanking like I was previously. 
    Well, part of the fun is not getting hit. If dodging and weaving is not fun to you then "your mileage may vary".

Also, you can't just level on "significantly" higher level mobs in every game. If the game is a traditional tab target game then usually you will get decimated as whether or not the other mob hits you is not dependent on you being able to avoid hits. They'll hit you and take massive damage off you and you, if you can hit them will hardly do anything.

And lastly, there aren't very many games that don't have 'easy' leveling. You're going to have to come up with some examples of "challenging" leveling. The only thing I think you will come up with is some early games or perhaps dark fall.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo