Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tired of the attacks on these forums

rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693
It seems like every single thread I read either has someone complaining bout something or personally attacking someone else simply because they don't agree with them.

Why can't people use constructive criticism, and be more polite to each other, seriously this is a video game forums, not life and death.

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Is this another "safe space / micro-agression" thread?

That's what college is for!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    How else will our warrior spirits - chained in the bodies of poor wage slaves express their will? Life hasn't been the same since wholesale murder was made illegal.

Now we can't even find a good digital outlet for it.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Give a man a mask, and he will show you his true face.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    If the moderation would ban the people who repeatedly bash the same game with obvious troll material like one liners without arguments which are obviously made to generate negative reactions (aka trolling), and also for those who constantly post negative misinformation about those games, the forum would already be a much better place.

Or just make the ignore feature more efficient. The Landmark forums from Daybreak are a good example on how to implement a proper ignore feature.
    The LAST thing the world needs is MORE moderation and restriction on speech.  People need to learn to deal with folks who think their "precious" stinks.   I would agree on ignore though.  Not sure what landmark looks like but Allowing folks to ignore others is far preferable to restricting free thought.

DMKANO hit it on the head above:

Sports fan mentality is why - mistaken belief that those who dislike your team/game/intersts etc.. are against you on a personal level and therefore must be hated/shamed/belittled.

The failure of humans to differentiate their own person away from their likes/dislikes is what plagues society.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Jean-Luc_Picard said:

The Landmark forums from Daybreak are a good example on how to implement a proper ignore feature.
    By having the company put all its players on ignore.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited March 2016
    Definitely, people tend to get very emotionally involved when it comes to games.

I've found that, often, it's really about what people want a game to be - rather than what it really is.

As in, games are rarely as bad as you think they are - and rarely as good as you think they are.

It's just a game - and we don't have to invest ourselves to the extent that any opposing viewpoint feels like a personal attack.

I find this state of affairs to be particularly ironic, since I started gaming back in 1982. Let me tell you right now: there are a LOT more games to be excited about today than there ever was. So, even if one game fails to meet your expectations - it's not that big a deal. Also, if it turns out that you might have overestimated a game, there will be others - likely sooner than you think.

Now, I'm not trying to excuse myself here - as I also tend to get invested. I think the key is to work at it, and try to keep a level head. Accept that there is no right or wrong about opinions. They just are.
    If the moderation would ban the people who repeatedly bash the same game with obvious troll material like one liners without arguments which are obviously made to generate negative reactions (aka trolling), and also for those who constantly post negative misinformation about those games, the forum would already be a much better place.

Or just make the ignore feature more efficient. The Landmark forums from Daybreak are a good example on how to implement a proper ignore feature.
    The LAST thing the world needs is MORE moderation and restriction on speech.  People need to learn to deal with folks who think their "precious" stinks. .
    I'm not talking about thought. I'm not talking about opinion.

I'm talking about spamming one line posts with absolutely no argument. For instance: "This game sux", then a few posts later "Combat sux", then a bit later "Graphix sux", etc...

I'm also talking about spamming blatantly false FACTS (not opinion) about a game. For instance: "Tab targeting combat sux, that's why I don't like this game" when anyone who played the game even just a few minutes knows the game doesn't have tab targeting at all.

It's not restricting the expression of opinions that I'm talking about, but getting rid of obvious trolls and people with an agenda against a specific game.

I actually think that expanding the forum features with forum specific bans would also be a good solution. Someone is on an obvious troll crusade against a game with nonsense spamming and misinformation, just forbid him the access to that specific game's forum.

Or give me an efficient ignore feature. On the Landmark forums, if you ignore someone, you don't see him at all, not even in quotes. You just see at the top of the page "This page contains ignored content", nothing more. It makes reading much easier and free of the useless spam and misinformation.
    Interesting.

In my experience, most of the nastier attacks come about because the "opposing side" actually has something to say.

"This sux" and "that sux" are statements easy to dismiss - and I don't think they're that big a problem.

Nah, in my opinion - the bigger problem is that people can't separate opinions from the people who hold them. As in, a lot of people truly struggle to stay objective when faced with a different opinion about that which they happen to like or dislike.

This happens everywhere when strangers meet - and especially when we can do it anonymously.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    @the OP
    I always try to be honest,so i will TRY and explain SOME of it.
    I am very old schol,i do not pretend to be an English  major,so sometimes i might come off as more harsh than i intend to be,i simply lack the grasp of certain words to put my thoughts across in a more friendly fashion.'
    I also believe in straight out honesty,i do not believe in sugar coating anything because that would be FAKE and i really hate FAKE people.I think i can make that claim for others as well,MOST people hate fake people.I can tell you straight up my boss at work actually fired a guy because he was sick of his fake ass kissing,he likes straight shooters as do i.

I made this last point because sometimes i feel people misinterpret polite with honesty,sounds more like they want you to say something like ok i agree with you but not really,which would be FAKE and just beating around the bush.

There is one last point to be made,SOME people are just immature,everything they disagree with has to be met with ANGER,flaming,insults.Now insults has a fine line,if someone says they think i am not very smart,i just lol and think well they are entitled to their opinion,i know how smart i am in a relative sense and that is all that matters to me,i don't take mild insults like that too seriously,in other words i laugh it off which is something others should do as well.

All one needs to do is remind themselves of the MANY far more important things in life than gaming,like life/death/health/suffering,family/employment etc etc,gaming should be FAR FAR down the list of importance in life.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    edited March 2016

Sounds like a good way to silence your adversaries who aren't looking at things thru their special rose colored glasses.

People don't run off to talk about something normal that happens. Do you go to work and discuss how someone took a right hand turn on 5th street on your way to work? NO! I'll bet if you were sitting at a train crossing and the train derailed (or wreaked) right in front of you then you might talk about that at work? Amirite?

Same things with games man. Do you have anything nice to say about that train wreak you just witnessed? No, because people got hurt and its definitely going to cost someone some money! Sound familiar to anybody (think star citizen)!!!! People are gonna talk about some of these train wreak games in the same way or another whether its all the bad things that happened in the wreak or the silver lining of the cloud hanging above it.

Sorry if everything cant be all roses and sunshine for you!

• rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693
    DKLond said:
    Give a man a mask, and he will show you his true face.
    That is first time I heard that saying, I like it

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Oddly enough those people who use those one liner attacks that have neither substance nor much veracity are commonly disregarded and considered to be pathetic losers who have nothing else to do but pepper the forums with their inane one liners which in their mind is some form literary feat (mind you only in their mind) and that they have contributed something aside from  exhibiting their stupidity.

Generally no one really takes them seriously or even pays much regard aside from noticing their obsession with attacking games they do not play with the obvious motive of upsetting the actual people who play the game. 

What I find even more damaging to this site are those who use this forums like their personal blog where they can come and create topics that are there solely to cause nasty discussions and which are often shut down or talk about topics like censorship and other topics which are guaranteed to cause controversy and discord. They do this for one purpose alone which is to draw attention to themselves and are attention whores and these individuals need to be banned. Also some here think these forums are where the can come and boast about not spending money on games on regular intervals like we actually give 2 hoots about their spending habits. This type of self indulgence should be limited or removed altogether.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    edited March 2016
    I agree .......Testosterone + Keyboards + Internet + Anonymity = Main Culprit.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Wizardry said:
    All one needs to do is remind themselves of the MANY far more important things in life than gaming,like life/death/health/suffering,family/employment etc etc,gaming should be FAR FAR down the list of importance in life.
    After having lost my mother in 2015 and having been through several other life-altering events in recent years, I concur 100%. While I am passionate about gaming and the games that matter to me, I take all things related to those passions with a grain of salt and a heavy dose of perspective on what really matters.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited March 2016
    I agree Jean-Luc but I cannot see how any of us can prevent others from responding and I believe those that bump up and respond do so with their own agenda of promoting the original one liner or thread . You cannot control others all we can do is report and even then obvious trolls are seldom dealt with because they are polite and stay within the rules. 

Then people who get banned I noticed even make a remarkable come back only to continue their reign of passive aggression. I think Kopo and Kiyoris have been banned but even if their ban is not lifted you can be sure they will be back with another avatar up to their old tricks. Wasn't Narius banned and then the ban lifted ?

I suppose I am going to get a warning for mentioning names.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

And of course, the obvious lies about games, like pretending that a game doesn't have a feature that it obviously has (or vice versa), and this also spammed repeatedly in almost all threads about that game.

The problem is not adversaries. The problem is trolls. People who don't even argue, people who spam lies to bash a game, and do so repeatedly over and over again. It just makes forum less readable.
    Yep, at one point they did actually care about such things taking place (the split of SWG forums as an example). They also have a rule about repeated negative posting, which they rarely enforce anymore. Maybe it's got something to do with the current climate, can't afford to just ban undesirables outright. They'll give temp vacations and take away thread creation (jail), yet that rarely stops someone from coming right back and derailing threads with the same old topics they bring into every discussion. People say ignore it, that's kinda hard when every thread they get involved in devolves to the same level of discussion.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100

It's not restricting the expression of opinions that I'm talking about, but getting rid of obvious trolls and people with an agenda against a specific game.

Why don't they, then, ban people with a specific agenda "for" a game? Why do you think it's ok to be "pro" something, but not "anti" something? What if you, personally, aren't aware of, or don't seem to care about, valid reasons for a person to rail against a product or the product's developer?

Some people think some things are very important, which you might not agree are so important. Maybe a game has an integral aspect of "kicking kittens", and you like kittens very much. This makes you really, really dislike the game, the designers, and anyone who says "wow, I didn't know kicking kittens could be so much fun!". So, you get upset and type, "kicking kittens sucks and people making this game suck for saying it's cool to kick kittens!". Does this mean you now have an "anti-agenda", you're now a "troll", and you should be banned?

Well, to some people it does mean that. You'll have people calling you names, you'll have people telling each other to ignore you, you'll have people bandwagoning on you like a sports game dog-pile. You'll know you're right, hell, maybe they know you're right, but it does not matter, because to you, only the people "for" things, should have some modicum of impunity.
    SBFord said:
    Wizardry said:
    After having lost my mother in 2015 and having been through several other life-altering events in recent years, I concur 100%. While I am passionate about gaming and the games that matter to me, I take all things related to those passions with a grain of salt and a heavy dose of perspective on what really matters.
    Yep I lost my mother in 2015 too.. as well as for the past seven years have dealt with heart attacks (at least one a year), open heart surgery, etc... Kinda helps put everything in perspective, not that I bitched and moaned about games prior to that, it does make the very idea of it seem quite laughable though.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    It seems like every single thread I read either has someone complaining bout something or personally attacking someone else simply because they don't agree with them.

Why can't people use constructive criticism, and be more polite to each other, seriously this is a video game forums, not life and death.
    PVP doesn't just occur in MMOs, it's a favorite past time of many posters on these forums. ;)

Takes some skill really, to phrase their attacks in a passive aggressive manner in order to stay under the moderation radar, but truth is, I don't think people report others nearly enough which is why some posts seemingly get past them. (I actually can't for some reason on my cell phone, reported the issue to the mgmt here)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Kyleran said:

PVP doesn't just occur in MMOs, it's a favorite past time of many posters on these forums. ;)

Takes some skill really, to phrase their attacks in a passive aggressive manner in order to stay under the moderation radar, but truth is, I don't think people report others nearly enough which is why some posts seemingly get past them. (I actually can't for some reason on my cell phone, reported the issue to the mgmt here)
    personally I think low moderation is fine.

as an attacker becomes successful, then more successful, then even more successful it becomes really painfully clear to any and all who read it what he is doing.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    While I agree game bashers get on my nerves, you do need to take into account that the internet is the wild wild west of words. Jumping online and posting anywhere on the net means you need to have thick skin. This forum is tame compared to many. There are many carebear forums where mods slap people down so fast it will make your head spin but the trade off is you really cant talk about a subject. So you need to pick your forums upon who you are. I think mmorpg.com does a good job of balancing freedom to express and really shuting down trolls and really negative threads. 
    Adjuvant1 said:

Why don't they, then, ban people with a specific agenda "for" a game? Why do you think it's ok to be "pro" something, but not "anti" something? What if you, personally, aren't aware of, or don't seem to care about, valid reasons for a person to rail against a product or the product's developer?

I can't really think of anyone "for" a game that's seemingly there to make trouble for others, nor making passive aggressive threads aimed at stirring negative reaction. They may resort to negative reaction due to those kinds of posts, but they're rarely there for the lulz like those Jean is referring to.....

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:

personally I think low moderation is fine.

as an attacker becomes successful, then more successful, then even more successful it becomes really painfully clear to any and all who read it what he is doing.
    Well yeah, I enjoy these forums because they don't babysit every conversation, and feel that "Trolls" only exist under bridges in fantasy stories and MMORPG's, everyone else is just another "combatant" in the never ending forum PVP war.  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Distopia said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

I can't really think of anyone "for" a game that's seemingly there to make trouble for others, nor making passive aggressive threads aimed at stirring negative reaction. They may resort to negative reaction due to those kinds of posts, but they're rarely there for the lulz like those Jean is referring to.....

Shilling is rampant here. You know that. Everyone knows that. The adverse effect is unaware people's time and money investiture into a bad deal. Yet somehow it's just ok, because it's not an "in your face" kind of trespass. I dunno, maybe it takes a discerning mind to pick these things out and realizing how annoying it truly is.
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    edited March 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Distopia said:
    Adjuvant1 said:

Shilling is rampant here. You know that. Everyone knows that. The adverse effect is unaware people's time and money investiture into a bad deal. Yet somehow it's just ok, because it's not an "in your face" kind of trespass. I dunno, maybe it takes a discerning mind to pick these things out and realizing how annoying it truly is.

So so true! There is some major league shills in one forum in particular and I feel that's more of a problem than some basement dweller making a post saying "this game is teh sukz", which most of us serious people on these forums don't pay attention to anyway.. The shills create a lot of animosity in the forums for the games they're trying to support and it just winds up into a shit show.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Sometimes you have to be passionate (possible rude) to get people to look at your point and consider it.  Otherwise it will just be ignored by most people.  I see a lot of people post comments and ideas, but there is little discussion if no one argues in an aggressive manner.  If there is arguing in a non aggressive manner it often ends up with long lists of points, but no real solution agreement.  People in the niche crowd have to shout to be heard at all.
This discussion has been closed.