Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fishing Hot Spots and you

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
If you want to get a good income from fishing the most important factor in BDO is doing it in the right place. There are premium spots and they are not marked in any way on the map. You just have to find your own or try your luck if you see a lot of people fishing in the same place (other than the Velia docks and shoreline that is... all noobs fish there for the quests.) Some hot spots change and/or move over time but others are pretty reliable and can stay that way for weeks.

Someone on the forums put together a list of what you catch in these golden spots and so far, I've found that it holds true 100%. If you find a spot where you get a large proportion of yellow and blue tier fish AND they are in the following list, you can be confident you've found one.

If you hit a Hot Spot, you will catch:

• Misc.: Ancient Relic Crystal Shard, Silver Key
  • Gray: Fourfinger Threadfin, Butterflyfish, Jellyfish
  • Green: Amberjack, Sardine
  • Blue: Swordfish, Eel
  • Yellow: Moray, Tilefish
  • Orange: Coelacanth

Many things including your fishing level, better rods, fishing outfits, etc. will help with the rarity luck and catch rate but even the rawest new fisherman will get the above pretty quickly in these spots relative to other places... even when resources are "exhausted." They are all off the coast so you'll need at least a raft, although one of the most popular ones at the moment is within sight of the Velia docks... handy for running back to the Trader and back to fishing in 5 minutes.

Even with no experience and selling your catch right in Velia, you can easily make 300-500K per hour here if you fish it actively. Takes longer of course if you AFK fish.
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Are you selling these on the Auction House or using the Trade manager?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    Are you selling these on the Auction House or using the Trade manager?
    Sorry. not marketplace I meant Trade manager. The anicent relic crystal shards I do sell to the AH of course... they're like 200 K + per shard and sell in minutes. Catch enough of those in a run and the per/hour number can get close to a million... and I'm just an apprentice 10 ATM :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited March 2016
    And this (at least in the NA servers - not sure if it's different in EU) is the hot spot near Velia I was referring to. It's just off the shore a bit N of the Coastal Cave node:

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited March 2016
    Yep. I've been there yesterday.. was funny seeing that "floating city" with all these boats and people pilled up.. I got closer and ask what was happening and they told me it was a hot spot! neat!

Someone also said that they tend to "move" with the current (or the tides).. is that true?

Someone also said that they tend to "move" with the current (or the tides).. is that true?
    Some do but some, like the one I linked, seem to last for a long time. This one has been that way for 2 weeks at least.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

I have my little spot a few steps from a trader, and almost always "abundant", definitely less efficient than the "hot spot" but way more handy to use while I'm at work running the game in the tray bar. I still make 500k per 3 hours approx., and that's while being at work therefore often missing the fishing pole replacement time.
    For some reason I have a hard time finding anything other than "exhausted".  I mostly went at sea, north of Velia (tried between the small Islands,etc.) but, even if none was there, it was always exhausted.  It's as if the people fishing in the hotspot close to Velia were taking all the resources from the entire sea! lol 

Do you know how "large" the different spots are? Just to know if I should try my line every 100feet or if I should go further every time I end up on an exhausted one..

Do you know how "large" the different spots are? Just to know if I should try my line every 100feet or if I should go further every time I end up on an exhausted one..
    Hard to say. I've heard that couple of boat lengths can make a difference but then, if you're near the edge of the spot you wouldn't know it. I've never felt motivated to test it: if I'm getting good results I just stay :)

At least the list of what you catch in the "golden" spots above gives you something to go on. If you're catching something different, especially fish hooks, seaweed and bones, it's time to move. How far you move is a whole different story.

I mean... sometimes I just like to take off and explore now that I have a real fishing boat. That's also fun. But if you want to do it for maximum profit, how close you are to a trade manager makes a big difference.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Thanks guys! Appreciate it!
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    i dont mind giving one away :) try the pool next to northern wheat plantation, get a few keys, 1/2 yellows 3/4 blues and a stack of nice crayfish or likes also a couple of dailies might appear there that also help for a freebie

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    If you have a boat, look to llana island and ajix.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    I have my little spot a few steps from a trader, and almost always "abundant", definitely less efficient than the "hot spot" but way more handy to use while I'm at work running the game in the tray bar. I still make 500k per 3 hours approx., and that's while being at work therefore often missing the fishing pole replacement time.
    For some reason I have a hard time finding anything other than "exhausted".  I mostly went at sea, north of Velia (tried between the small Islands,etc.) but, even if none was there, it was always exhausted.  It's as if the people fishing in the hotspot close to Velia were taking all the resources from the entire sea! lol 

As an fyi, you can still catch stuff if the area is exhausted. I guess it just takes longer.

I kept getting exhausted so left the character on afk fishing while I tried to look at other possible places and lo and behold I caught a fish.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo