Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is This Real Life?! The Division NYC vs Real NYC

maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/03/16/the-division-real-life-vs-in-game-new-york?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=ign-games

IGN put together this video that's actually pretty awesome, showing you what NYC looks like in real life compared to in game.  Its surprisingly close.

Comments

• caveogre72caveogre72 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Nice video!  Having never been to NY,  I was wondering this exact thing.  They really put a lot into this.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Really nice comparison.

I just want to add that Akiba's Trip also recreated the Akihabara ward (electric town) in Japan and they took it a step further by adding existing stores recreated in the game. And the developers told the players ( i think in a loading screen/menu in game) that if you ever go to Japan and visit those stores to thank the owners for cooperating with the game.

I really like when things like this happen.

• LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367
    edited March 2016
    I'm from New York, and I can confirm that the accuracy of this game's recreation of Manhattan is startling. It's one of the reasons I decided to play it. 
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,854
    Most of the famous buildings or locations had to be changed so they wouldn't get sued.

For instance, in the alpha the Empire State Building was pretty much perfect but then they were told they would have to pay licensing fees to use its likeness in-game.

So, it was changed to be similar but not enough that they would have to pay.
  • LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Same with the NYC police and fire vehicles and emblems. There's a screenshot from the 2013 E3 presentation that shows NYC cop cars exactly how they appear in real life, but in the release version, the they look nothing like that. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Same with the NYC police and fire vehicles and emblems. There's a screenshot from the 2013 E3 presentation that shows NYC cop cars exactly how they appear in real life, but in the release version, the they look nothing like that. 
    and people freak out when some game with about 200 steam reviews and said game appears there is a chance that maybe they are false advertising if you look at it in a certain way...all because said game is in 'early access'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    The detail they put into recreating the city is the most impressive aspect out there.  Too bad it's just a facade as most buildings can't be entered.