Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The future of MMOs are non-MMOs?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    SEANMCAD said:

what does more fun or less fun of a 'proper' MMO have to do with the standard understanding of what an MMO is?

I think a motorcycle is more fun then a car, does that then mean a motorcycle should now be called a car?
    in the world of MMOs, motocycles are now being called cars ... because cars are not popular, and motocycles are selling like hot cakes.

The point is .. the understanding of what an MMO is .. in the words of the authors .. is "old fogies holding onto old definitions that are being constantly undermined by progress and innovation."

The sooner old shackles of MMO designs are cast off, the faster they will morph into better (but different games). Wait .. that is already happening.
  • KirrikKirrik Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Haha this guy. It is entertaining, to a certain extent.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

what does more fun or less fun of a 'proper' MMO have to do with the standard understanding of what an MMO is?

I think a motorcycle is more fun then a car, does that then mean a motorcycle should now be called a car?
    in the world of MMOs, motocycles are now being called cars ... because cars are not popular, and motocycles are selling like hot cakes.

The point is .. the understanding of what an MMO is .. in the words of the authors .. is "old fogies holding onto old definitions that are being constantly undermined by progress and innovation."

The sooner old shackles of MMO designs are cast off, the faster they will morph into better (but different games). Wait .. that is already happening.
    you basically just repeated yourself in hopes of (I think) chaning my view. so i shall do the same.

1. The author who wrote 'old fogies holding onto old definitions that are being constantly undermined by progress and innovation' appear to me to have been paid directly by ubisoft to say that. I have seen several reviews of The Division and its not even remotely close to being anything even slightly resembling 'innnovation' or 'progress'.

2. Just because something is better than a car and more popular than a car doesnt mean we should stop calling a car a car. There is nothing 'old fogies holding onto old definitions' when someone wants a cigar to be called a cigar and not beef jerkey

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    This forum is MMORPG notepad.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    The future of MMOs is for many to shut down and reset the entire industry.  Then the Industry will grow again.  Look at the video game crash of the 80s.   The industry crashed and Nintendo risen from the ashes of the crash. 
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    edited March 2016
    danwest58 said:
    The future of MMOs is for many to shut down and reset the entire industry.  Then the Industry will grow again.  Look at the video game crash of the 80s.   The industry crashed and Nintendo risen from the ashes of the crash. 
    Seems more likely the future will resemble what happened with RTS games:
    • A new genre develops.
    • Early offerings stumble.
    • A solid gameplay-focused Blizzard entry dominates the scene.
    • Many clones followed, some good but none with quite the same quality of gameplay (so none with quite the same amount of success.)
    • Many years later Blizzard re-enters the scene with a new game which again dominates the scene.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

SEANMCAD said:

2. Just because something is better than a car and more popular than a car doesnt mean we should stop calling a car a car. There is nothing 'old fogies holding onto old definitions' when someone wants a cigar to be called a cigar and not beef jerkey
    didn't websites are calling co-op online games or pvp online games MMO now?

Sure we don't call a cigar beef jerkey, but we (may be not you .. but websites and reviewers) certainly call games like The Division a MMO.

Clearly, players & the industry care about the definition of MMO a lot less than food labels. 

danwest58 said:

well .. there are few new AAA western mmorpg (still lots of mmos) development now. Why would the industry reset when all the devs can simply go make hybrids or other types of online games?

In fact, aren't they already doing that? Blizz scrapped titan to make overwatch, right?
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    SEANMCAD said:

"The future of MMOs are non-MMOs?"

Hitting the bottom of the barrel are we?

almost as good as 'being online is not really an important aspect of an MMO'

not a direct quote but pretty dang close to what I read today
    But it can't beat your own ignorant hypocrisy now can it. 

"A game I have this awkward, weird, sick obsession with is only popular because of marketing."

"The Oculus Rift popularity has nothing to do with having the largest marketing platform on the planet and they always "sell out" a few units is not the most common marketing gimmick it just means they are super duper popular" Seanmcad 2016

or

"I don't need to play a video game to say it's not good and cry about it for months as a 50 year"

"Oh you have never tried the Oculus Rift you are not allowed to have an opinion on this matter" Seanmcad 2016
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

danwest58 said:

well .. there are few new AAA western mmorpg (still lots of mmos) development now. Why would the industry reset when all the devs can simply go make hybrids or other types of online games?

In fact, aren't they already doing that? Blizz scrapped titan to make overwatch, right?
    Like EQN it was scrapped because it simply was not a fun game. You know this already but apparently you derive amusement from pretending to be uninformed. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

"A game I have this awkward, weird, sick obsession with is only popular because of marketing."

"The Oculus Rift popularity has nothing to do with having the largest marketing platform on the planet and they always "sell out" a few units is not the most common marketing gimmick it just means they are super duper popular" Seanmcad 2016

or

"I don't need to play a video game to say it's not good and cry about it for months as a 50 year"

"Oh you have never tried the Oculus Rift you are not allowed to have an opinion on this matter" Seanmcad 2016
    ---"A game I have this awkward, weird, sick obsession with is only popular because of marketing."
    seems reasonable yes. and I have given details as to why

---.."sell out" ...
    1. you should not put a persons name after a quote when its not even a quote. but I dont mind.
    2. I have an ongoing discussion on that matter, as it stands right now there is no evidence to suppor that these short supply sellouts are a common place marketing practice at all and there is no evidence to suggest the supplys of the oculus was not fairly high.

----"I don't need to play a video game to say it's not good and cry about it for months as a 50 year"
    Correct..absolutly 100% correct. youtube is a wonderful thing
    you might want to lay off the terms like 'cry' '50 year old' and 'hypocrite' its going to get you banned again

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

or

---"A game I have this awkward, weird, sick obsession with is only popular because of marketing."

Hold up I can't believe you finally admitted to this.  

Its crazy how a 50 year old adult (I use that term for you lightly) thinks is "reasonable" to have a weird, awkward , sick obsession with a video game he has never played. 

Well kudos to you for finally admitting how absolutely messed up you are. 
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

or

Its crazy how a 50 year old adult (I use that term for you lightly) thinks is "reasonable" to have a weird, awkward , sick obsession with a video game he has never played. 

ok that was 10000% personal and completely off topic.

Again, my personality issues has nothing whatsoever to do with The Division and it being innovative or not innovative, an mmo or not an mmo

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Akulas said:
    This forum is MMORPG notepad.

At least it isn't MMORPG edlin!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

or

Again, my personality issues has nothing whatsoever to do with The Division and it being innovative or not innovative, an mmo or not an mmo
    No it was 1000000% fact and put into context every comment you cried about the division in the last 2-3 month into context.  It clearly shows everything you have said about the division was not said in a stable state.  99% already knew this but I'm putting out a public service to the 1% who didn't know who or what you are on here. 
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

or

No it was 1000000% fact and put into context every comment you cried about the division in the last 2-3 month into context.  It clearly shows everything you have said about the division was not said in a stable state.  99% already knew this but I'm putting out a public service to the 1% who didn't know who or what you are on here. 
    I sorry but your wrong, its the wrong context completely. you are struggling understanding the flow of a conversation.

I am not saying I am not all those things. I am saying they are not relevant to the questions being asked/suggested in this conversation

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    How did i know seanmcad was going to be the first to post after OP lol
    It could be the weird, awkward, sick obsession he has admitted to having towards the Division.  
    It could be the weird, awkward, sick obsession he has admitted to having towards the Division.  
    come on you should provide the link of my confession. I am distracted at the moment otherwise i would get it for you

SEANMCAD said:
    come on you should provide the link of my confession. I am distracted at the moment otherwise i would get it for you
    SEANMCAD said:

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    SEANMCAD said:
    Here is the link http://www.mmorpg.com/ Its all over it, hard to miss
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

thanks! much better.

I enjoy this dialouge and I enjoy you reminding people what i said however i am concerned about getting warning so I am going to stop having dialouge with you directly unless its ver specific to the OP. not that I dont enjoy it, its a nice change actually

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    THE FUTURE OF DRIVING IS NOT DRIVING!

THE FUTURE OF FLYING IS NOT FLYING!!

just /facepalm

If you come here for the entertainment value much like stupid videos boy does this deliver.

Beat that dead horse Nari, you beat it good...
    oh its going to get fun.

our daily re-definition of an MMO will likely end today with 'private servers dont count because of .....reasons..'
    On this I have to agree with you.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

what I am perplexed about is if the term MMO is a dying one then why are gaming like The Division and Destiny wanting to be classified as one?

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    SEANMCAD said:
    what I am perplexed about is if the term MMO is a dying one then why are gaming like The Division and Destiny wanting to be classified as one?
    The Division calls itself an online RPG not an MMO and Destiny calls itself a persistant online first person action game. Nowhere did either publisher claim that either game is an MMO. If you go to the official sites nowhere will you see the word MMO.