Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Updated] Escapist nominated for Kunkel award for reporting on project woes

1235»

Comments

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Updated OP with results of the judging.
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Yep, TheEscapist took 3rd place for Excellence in News Reporting with their story about the behind the scenes "stuff" at CIG. Hmmm, I guess their still waiting for that lawsuit from Roberts cause the story is still up AND got some recognition!

Congrats TheEscapist!

http://www.spj.org/kunkel-winners.asp#NewsReporting

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    cheyane said:
    I thought they were going to get sued. They got nominated for an award instead. Bizarre.
    Can't sue when it's true.
    Kiyoris said:
    wtf

That right there would be grounds for a lawsuit, if there wasn't any standing.  Of course there must be some truth to it all or they would of done just that.  Especially after threatening publicly to do so.  Now they just look silly.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Adjuvant1 said:

lol that video is my life. I do a lot of graphic design at my job and I work at a public health research university. All my conversations sound like that.
  • Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    edited March 2016
    Kiyoris said:
    wtf

That right there would be grounds for a lawsuit, if there wasn't any standing.  Of course there must be some truth to it all or they would of done just that.  Especially after threatening publicly to do so.  Now they just look silly.
    To be fair, we don't know if any legal proceedings are actually underway. In almost every legal case where people aren't just throwing around baseless threats of a lawsuit and writing blogs about their soon to be super lawsuit or actively trying to kickstart funds to sue a games reviewer the first thing both sides are informed to do is cease speaking to each other.

By CIG mentioning the Escapist or vice versa they run the risk of saying something the other side's lawyers could use against them in court. So at this point if there is any legal stuff going on, it is going on behind the scenes.

Finally, to be completely honest I don't believe any of the claims of emails. In a world where smart phones are everywhere and every computer has a PRINT SCREEN button this kind of PR disaster on wheels would not have gone down without some proof.

But hey, what good is a story about a company that is late on a product without some good ole fashion drama? :pleased: 
    Axllow18 said:
    Kiyoris said:
    wtf

To be fair, we don't know if any legal proceedings are actually underway. In almost every legal case where people aren't just throwing around baseless threats of a lawsuit and writing blogs about their soon to be super lawsuit or actively trying to kickstart funds to sue a games reviewer the first thing both sides are informed to do is cease speaking to each other.

By CIG mentioning the Escapist or vice versa they run the risk of saying something the other side's lawyers could use against them in court. So at this point if there is any legal stuff going on, it is going on behind the scenes.

Finally, to be completely honest I don't believe any of the claims of emails. In a world where smart phones are everywhere and every computer has a PRINT SCREEN button this kind of PR disaster on wheels would not have gone down without some proof.

But hey, what good is a story about a company that is late on a product without some good ole fashion drama? :pleased: 
    Any legal suit brought by one company vs another would be public knowledge as soon as the papers were served.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Torval said:
    Distopia said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    edit: And no, people don't write hit pieces all the time about execs who make 6 or 7 figures, because that very well may dictate such a person's future.
    Eh, have you been following the stories on Trump? Journalist call him everything in the book, he constantly threatens to sue, nothing ever happens... The media in this day and age is all about public lynchings, how many times have they been sued? How many people actually fight it? It only means something when it gains traction, that's when they'd want to step in, otherwise it's money spent with no gain. 
    Like I said before, even if it were true that the Escapist lied, didn't vette their sources, or twisted the truth in a damaging way, CIG and RSI would need to prove that in court. It is expensive and there is no guarantee that they can prove it.

Knowing you should win a court case and being able to legally win the court case are two different things. Let's not forget that litigation like this is very very expensive.
    Well said and totally agree. Legal battles are definitely a war.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited March 2016
    Yep, TheEscapist took 3rd place for Excellence in News Reporting with their story about the behind the scenes "stuff" at CIG. Hmmm, I guess their still waiting for that lawsuit from Roberts cause the story is still up AND got some recognition!

Congrats TheEscapist!

http://www.spj.org/kunkel-winners.asp#NewsReporting
    You realize anytime someone brings up lawsuit, all that really needs to be said is "follow up piece"... Both sides made threats they have not followed through on thus far. So who's to say what's really going on behind the scenes?

ANyway as for the award, true or not it's an article that tried taking a gaming company to task, those are rare. With most publications doing everything they can to retain their access, it's no surprise at all such an action is recognized and commended.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    edited March 2016
    Heh in regards to TE and CSI kerfuffle.  While I remain highly skeptical that the game itself is anything more than a scam at this point (my opinion).  The silence from TE shows them to be just as bad an actor.   After the article their stated intent was that more was incoming but.....crickets.  If there was anything there......there plenty of material to pile on.   However, the continued silence can only mean that TE didn't source the original story for **** and have nothing but he said/she said and innuendo and/or any will top pursue it.  As time passes, it resembles more  an enquirer article or click bait, not news.  They are just incredibly lucky Chris is so bad at PR spin paired with a temper, poor impulse control, and a bad lawyer. 
    They both come out of it covered in mud with neither looking like they know their *** from elbow.  He's the one who should get the award; that article would never have had the legs it did absent CR's response to it.  A pox on both their houses.

EDIT as far as winning an award for the story,  look at the competition gaming journalism isn't exactly high bar.  If you have a pulse one could probably write up a one off story to draw clicks, not exactly Pulitzer material.  The common denominator for journalism in gaming is so low it probably doesn't take much to stand out.
    Post edited by BMBender on