Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Oculus Rift Review. VR Not there yet.

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited March 2016
    true, VR is not quite there yet.

...but it's as damn close as it's gonna be for now. So, if you want to wait 20 ro 30 more years go ahead, by then your eyes will be old and tired anyways, and you wont be able to see shit.
    for the rest of us, we will enjoy the "right hereness" and, if (and when) it "gets here", we'll let you know. cheers.
  • UltimaJenkoUltimaJenko Member UncommonPosts: 35
    true, VR is not quite there yet.

...but it's as damn close as it's gonna be for now. So, if you want to wait 20 ro 30 more years go ahead, by then your eyes will be old and tired anyways, and you wont be able to see shit.
    for the rest of us, we will enjoy the "right hereness" and, if (and when) it "gets here", we'll let you know. cheers.
    I'm pretty sure people aren't going to wait 20/30 years just because they're not buying at launch. A lot of people are waiting for reviews, updates, bug fixes, etc before spending a large sum of money. Possibly waiting a year or two and see if its still getting bigger and bigger? I'm personally in that category right now where I had both the Rift and Vive on pre-order but cancelled because I didn't think i'd get my money's worth and it'd lose novelty within a week. I'll just wait and see how well it does, before making the leap into VR! :) 
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited March 2016
    Ok, i watched it, and his criticisms are about the hardware, peripherals, wires, feeling of isolation, pixel resolution, and motion sickness.

None of that will matter if the software is good.

The majority of people are already isolated while gaming anyway.  Hardly anyone complains about peripherals such as keyboards and mice with regular PC gaming.  Motion sickness and resolution are important, but if that's the only major complaint, VR has a good future, since those areas will likely be improved in the future.

I've had a DK2 for over a year now.  I'd use it more regularly, but the software is severely lacking for my interests.  I don't care much for the games that are out right now.  I'll just be patient and let it grow some more.  Wireless VR is already in the works and will be the next major milestone.

It's ultimately up to software developers to create some amazing experiences besides gaming.  This is a comprehensive list of software.  As you can see, there's more to it than just gaming.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Motion sickness would matter to me no matter how good the software.  But if it works for you enjoy.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    played with the oculus rift dk2 ( i have buy it second hand from someone ) and it realy amazing and fun

that realy not like got a SCREEN just close of your face.....you need try it for understand seriously.

the oculos rift got 2 screen, one for each eye, and what the device do, that the feeling you are there, like realy here, and this feeling alone make the device worth it.

i have make many friend try it, just bad demo one with insane bad graphic,they were like crying and scared at some games, like they are here.

that the feeling of being here this device give, and you need try it for understand what i mean with the feeling you are here, you move hour head one side and it follow, like you realy here.

but honesly the game are REALY lacking curently, it not worth it because most game are bad and the computer required realy expensive ( my computer worth 3k and it was lagging in some games... )

so im saying you better wait for the tech to mature, but dont act like you know what the tech is... or that crap ect ... unless you have try it !!!

that something you need try for understand or get a view... that imposible any others way... and the dev and these company will got a hard time with the selll.... you need try this tech for buy it after...
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Dahkoht said:
    http://kotaku.com/one-wild-occasionally-nauseating-week-of-virtual-reali-1767442615

Which of all of those early adopter products , CD's to VCR's and so on made you physically uncomfortable ?

Again , the vast majority of PC Gamers are not going to use something that "feels uncomfortable after 20-30 mins" for anything but a gimmick to show your friends occasionally. 

Something that "you feel pushing on your face and hot" is something not one of those other technologies has had to fight.

But yes VR evangelists , tell us how most people will put up with wearing the mask that this guy , someone who thinks it is cool , notes as uncomfortable and not just for motion sickness reasons.
    Ars Technica (which hopefully carries some clout):

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/the-ars-review-oculus-rift-expands-pc-gaming-past-the-monitors-edge/

Tagline: "Despite first-gen roughness, PC virtual reality is finally—incredibly—real."

...and later in the review: "Before we get any further, let’s address one potentially deal-breaking concern—the Oculus Rift is perfectly comfortable for extended use. Over the last week, I’ve routinely worn it for hours, without breaks, without any nauseous feelings, and without any overbearing desire to pull the headset off my face"

The part where the author describes what it's like being inside the Rift is also quite interesting:

"By tracking your head’s position and angle and changing the image to reflect your new view 90 times per second, the Rift simulates an edge-free, spherical screen that surrounds you in 360 degrees up and down and side to side.

This isn’t just looking at the inside of a rounded globe, either. Because it sends separate, carefully aligned images to each eye, every pixel on the Rift seems to have an actual depth to it. This isn’t the “Oh, neat, I can kind of see into the monitor” depth you might be used to on 3D flat panels; it's a real, honest-to-goodness, navigable volume that extends from the tip of your nose to the horizon."

(bold text inside both quotes is my own emphasis)

This probably seems like I'm defending Rift, and maybe I am, but I wouldn't have to were it not for people seemingly basing their perceptions on one-off experiences with Google Cardboard, years-old arcade demos, or saying things like 'fire is hot and VR sucks'.

...extreme views tend to breed extreme reactions.  I recommend reading the rest of the review; it contains some good insights.  One day after "launch" at least this much is clear: different people react to VR much differently.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

They are trying very hard to sell you this shit thats for sure... Its a PR flood & its getting really fucking annoying. Don't let yourself be brainwashed. If you don't like it & think it sucks, stick to your guns and wait for when that tech is actually going to be something you want.

Now we could ask, why are they trying so hard? My guest ( tin foil hat on ) is that its the ultimate subliminal platform where they will be able to control EVERYTHING that you see while its on. They'll get your undivided attention to fill your brain with whatever crap they want. Welcome to the new world!

very solid

my own ask would be if you ever see a free public demo out in a mall or whatever, give it a shot that way you will know 100% if you like it or not.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

They are trying very hard to sell you this shit thats for sure... Its a PR flood & its getting really fucking annoying. Don't let yourself be brainwashed. If you don't like it & think it sucks, stick to your guns and wait for when that tech is actually going to be something you want.

Now we could ask, why are they trying so hard? My guest ( tin foil hat on ) is that its the ultimate subliminal platform where they will be able to control EVERYTHING that you see while its on. They'll get your undivided attention to fill your brain with whatever crap they want. Welcome to the new world!

I'm... really not trying to sell you anything?  Just trying to maintain a balanced opinion.  If that's the way you feel, you should defo save your money.

As far as 'them' being "able to control EVERYTHING", it's the same with any media:

'Don't read books, you'll be brainwashed!'

'Don't watch the news, you'll be brainwashed!'

'Don't go to movies, you'll be brainwashed!'

...keeping a balanced opinion is something that requires consideration of evidence, and critical thinking.  You have to trust people to make up their own minds given the nature of the media.  As this is something new, I expect certain people to be a little phobic, but I see no reason that this in any way more of a... "ultimate subliminal platform" than books, movies, or support groups.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/oculus-rift-review-vr-gets-140804729.html

Pretty much how I've felt about VR this entire time.  It's still gimmicky and not quite there for gaming. 
    I have to ask at this point. 

You seem to have a rather well defined and detailed opinion on this device that would kinda require one to have experienced one in order to forumlate.

aka...you 'wrote' a review before this guy who waited to actually try it before doing so.

I've tried Virtual Reality before.  It's been available in arcades for years, I've used google cardboard as well.  My misgivings with it are exactly as I described.  What exactly about what he said is incorrect?
    lol...

you are comparing Oculus to VR stations in arcades that have been around for decades?
    you are a good laugh!

anyway...its good that there are at least a few articles out there that have negative review on VR because all the positive articles can get exhausting. well done on the OP/

^ This

I tried one of the newer budget VR devices at a Best Buy recently, one of those "designed just to watch movies in VR types". This was only about a month ago and they were advertising this product with its own display stand like it were some amazing big deal, but tbh it was a complete letdown and nowhere near as amazing as the 1st gen Oculus DK1 that I played around with, despite the DK1 having only 480p resolution and all around inferior tech to the release model.

Other devices just don't capture the "it really looks like I'm actually at this new place", even a lot of these so called modern VR devices, not to even mention decade old VR gimmicks.

The only products that honestly seem worth keeping an eye on currently are the Rift, Vive, and Playstation VR.
    edited March 2016

^ This

I tried one of the newer budget VR devices at a Best Buy recently, one of those "designed just to watch movies in VR types". This was only about a month ago and they were advertising this product with its own display stand like it were some amazing big deal, but tbh it was a complete letdown and nowhere near as amazing as the 1st gen Oculus DK1 that I played around with, despite the DK1 having only 480p resolution and all around inferior tech to the release model.

Other devices just don't capture the "it really looks like I'm actually at this new place", even a lot of these so called modern VR devices, not to even mention decade old VR gimmicks.

The only products that honestly seem worth keeping an eye on currently are the Rift, Vive, and Playstation VR.
    comparing a $99 headset powered by a cell phone to a $700 headset powered by a GTX980 and then comparing those two experiences to VR arcades in the 90s has got to be one of the most stupid comparisions I have heard of today.

Not the same thing at all and you know it... But whatever.

I wasn't targtting anyone btw, just the general vomit inducing PR bonanza that we are all living right now. You guys are obviously not helping ofc.

that is what I assume you meant and I might add agree with on some levels.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Dahkoht said:
    http://kotaku.com/one-wild-occasionally-nauseating-week-of-virtual-reali-1767442615

Which of all of those early adopter products , CD's to VCR's and so on made you physically uncomfortable ?

Again , the vast majority of PC Gamers are not going to use something that "feels uncomfortable after 20-30 mins" for anything but a gimmick to show your friends occasionally. 

Something that "you feel pushing on your face and hot" is something not one of those other technologies has had to fight.

But yes VR evangelists , tell us how most people will put up with wearing the mask that this guy , someone who thinks it is cool , notes as uncomfortable and not just for motion sickness reasons.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/the-ars-review-oculus-rift-expands-pc-gaming-past-the-monitors-edge/

Tagline: "Despite first-gen roughness, PC virtual reality is finally—incredibly—real."

...and later in the review: "Before we get any further, let’s address one potentially deal-breaking concern—the Oculus Rift is perfectly comfortable for extended use. Over the last week, I’ve routinely worn it for hours, without breaks, without any nauseous feelings, and without any overbearing desire to pull the headset off my face"

The part where the author describes what it's like being inside the Rift is also quite interesting:

"By tracking your head’s position and angle and changing the image to reflect your new view 90 times per second, the Rift simulates an edge-free, spherical screen that surrounds you in 360 degrees up and down and side to side.

This isn’t just looking at the inside of a rounded globe, either. Because it sends separate, carefully aligned images to each eye, every pixel on the Rift seems to have an actual depth to it. This isn’t the “Oh, neat, I can kind of see into the monitor” depth you might be used to on 3D flat panels; it's a real, honest-to-goodness, navigable volume that extends from the tip of your nose to the horizon."

This probably seems like I'm defending Rift, and maybe I am, but I wouldn't have to were it not for people seemingly basing their perceptions on one-off experiences with Google Cardboard, years-old arcade demos, or saying things like 'fire is hot and VR sucks'.

...extreme views tend to breed extreme reactions.  I recommend reading the rest of the review; it contains some good insights.  One day after "launch" at least this much is clear: different people react to VR much differently.
    The same review you just posted culminates in the same position that my OP just said:

"This and other early product issues make the Rift feel very much like the first-generation product it is. Similar to the first the first iPhone, which launched nearly 10 years ago with a crappy camera and no app store, the Oculus Rift is as revolutionary as it is still limited. If the mere potential of convincing virtual reality wasn’t enough to get you to lay down a $600 pre-order sight unseen (or more, if you needed a computer upgrade), you’re probably better off waiting for time and competition to drive the performance up and the price down."

And thats just it.. Virtual Reality is currently a gimmick that won't reveal anything until it's gotten through the first few generations -- and when that happens -- people are going to continuously drop 3 - 400 dollars every year?  To what... not play together?  Feel isolated?  The support isn't there yet, which is a big part of what the article you posted said.  

It has potential to grow, sure.  What people don't realize when comparing this to first generations of the iPhone is that they had the iPods prior to that.. they had a large app store, and they already had a decent amount of support.

If the software is there, and it's worth it...  I can see it bridging the gap..  but right now, there isn't anything I've seen that makes me think.. "wow this is amazing".

I can just as easily go on over to Best buy of Frys electronics and test this stuff, and perhaps I will over the weekend so I can speak from experience.. but at the end of the day, it won't change anything.  I could easily throw down 600 dollars to pick one up.. but what a waste it would be.  

A waste in every sense of the word.  People are currently propping up a platform as early adopters.. I've spent a good portion of my life being an early adopter.  I remember the first generation of Android phones...  that is more like what we'd expect RIFT to be.  They sold triple what Oculus could ever dream to sell, and it was way too soon, with next generations being more stable and better hardware overall.

I'll probably throw down as an early adopter for Hololens... but I believe in the functionality of AR much stronger than VR.  In the worst case I can use AR for everyday applications.  For VR...  you're stuck with a niche of whatever they can come out with.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I have read about the motion sickness thing for some and until they can solve that issue I may never be able to use it.  Very sad. :3
    Chamber of Chains
    Dahkoht said:

And thats just it.. Virtual Reality is currently a gimmick that won't reveal anything until it's gotten through 
    somewhat random but to quote Angry Joe 'its most definitely not a gimmick'

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    LOL the moment I start listening to "angry joe" is the moment I resign myself to no longer play games.

LOL the moment I start listening to "angry joe" is the moment I resign myself to no longer play games.
    i can understand that

@maskedweasel your point is well taken, but that still isn't enough to label OR a "gimmick" for me.

This is a gimmick:

A monocular, monochrome, head-mounted display from the 90's by Tiger Electronics.

If that's the message you're trying to get across then I'm not sure I can take you seriously, although you seem like a reasonable person.

Surely we can agree Oculus Rift is something different.

That stated, to be quite frank and if I am honest with myself I am probably years (and years?) out from buying a PC-VR rig.  I just have too many other nails to hammer down before then.  To those bold explorers with $600 - $1.5k in disposable income, my hat is off to you and I look forward to reading your impressions.

GearVR, on the other hand, is something that might fit in to my budget nicely in the near term, and there is most certainly something I am eagerly looking forward to playing in it, OR, or Vive; lack of software just isn't an issue, here.

Anyway, that's enough out of me.

@maskedweasel your point is well taken, but that still isn't enough to label OR a "gimmick" for me.

This is a gimmick:
    i think I could meet in the middle with a lot of these guys if they would stop using that word in fact.

I dont have to like something for it to not be gimmick. there are plenty of things that I think are asine and silly but i dont think they are gimmicks

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    I'd take what this guy says with a grain of salt.. I mean really.. He was struggling finding the buttons on an xbox controller...

Most responses I've seen are super positive, one negative opinion doesn't affect how much i want these VR headsets at all.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Right now, VR is an expensive gimmick and a novelty. Unlike things such as 3DTV though, it's a gimmick which has potential to actually become something a few generations down the line when it's less expensive and more effective. 

Until then, I've little desire to pay $600+ to duck tape a pair of iPhone screens and a Sixaxis controller to my face. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Until then, I've little desire to pay $600+ to duck tape a pair of iPhone screens and a Sixaxis controller to my face. 
    that would be $99 the one without a cell phone is the different one

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    There are people in this thread that tell other people spending money on any other technology like a TV or monitor is "wasting money" when you could be spending in on the Rift instead.

That's the definition of deluded and makes people roll their eyes and think it's even more of a gimmick.

When you try and push something that hard , you are hurting your own case.

In a year from now ,the vast majority of PC gamers will be spending the vast majority of hours spent playing PC games on a monitor.

In two years from now it will be the case also.

Three , and so on.

Incoming how VR will not be niche and most gamers will be using VR headsets and not monitors in 3.......2........1....

edited March 2016
    Dahkoht said:
    There are people in this thread that tell other people spending money on any other technology like a TV or monitor is "wasting money" when you could be spending in on the Rift instead.

by the way on that point what I failed to recall and you failed to read is I said a $1500 TV..not just a TV.

and i said it that way for a reason

also the 'things you can do with a tv' is not 'alot' more than what you can do with an oculus, its more like 1 thing different that you can do.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

very solid

my own ask would be if you ever see a free public demo out in a mall or whatever, give it a shot that way you will know 100% if you like it or not.

If I was interested I would get the Google cardboard model, it's about $20 or there are instructions out on how to build a cardboard model for free, I think.  If you like that get a more expensive plastic model for your smartphone, more durable and gives you an even better feel for using it for extended amounts of times and there is software and YouTube VR videos out for iOS and Android.  A quick and dirty experience would be to bring up a youtube VR video.  You can play the video move your phone around and see how the environment changes as you move the phone around, of course you just hold the phone in front of your eyes.

I did use a VR headset at a mall once a long long time ago.  They were doing a survey and had you watch a movie, then answer some questions.  They've been trying to make the public like this for a very long time, it's not all that new.  Every few years I would look into them but the good ones were thousands of dollars so never bought one.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

very solid

If I was interested I would get the Google cardboard model, it's about $20 or there are instructions out on how to build a cardboard model for free, I think.  If you like that get a more expensive plastic model for your smartphone, more durable and gives you and even better feel for using it for extended amounts of times and there is software and YouTube VR videos out for iOS and Android.  A quick and dirty experience would be to bring up a youtube VR video.  You can play the video move your phone around and see how the environment changes as you move the phone around, of course you just hold the phone in front of your eyes.

I did use a VR headset at a mall once a long long time ago.  They were doing a survey and had you watch a movie, then answer some questions.  They've been trying to make the public like this for a very long time, it's not all that new.  Every few years I would look into them but the good ones were thousands of dollars so never bought one.
    using google cardboard instead of a public demo to see what Oculus is like is a bit like avoding the train station to go to the toy store to look at trains to get an idea of how loud a train gets.

I dont know what black hole magic people think Samsung lives in that suggests a cell phone can deliever the same experience as a $1500 PC