Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Images - Women wear real armor in COE!

2»

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Kiyoris said:
    Well, it looks boring and ugly.

That character model they made is terrible, even for a beginner 3D designer.

Why not use a free model then instead:

50,000 polys looks pretty ambitious for an mmo. 

In terms of the armor, like some others have posted here, I think its fine to go wild considering the fantasy setting, but the most important thing imo is having gear fit in with the theme of the game.

If its a low fantasy kind of game, having more realistic gritty armor works well. Even if there are a lot of monsters and magic being thrown around I don't see anything bad about having that kind of realistic gear. This is just an indie mmo right? We can hardly expect amazingly detailed graphics.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2016
    Leon1e said:
    I'm a woman and I don't mind the scantily clad outfits. I don't know what all the fuss is about. The characters on the images above make those character look totally uninteresting to me. They are boring, that's what they are.

The politically correct feminist movement these days .... 
    Not so. Having both armored bikinis and full armor is reasonable. It's not "politically correct feminism" to think so. My personal character fantasy is one with a tanky warrior type and what suits her is a full set of plate or mail armor not a bikini -- you know practical. That said, if others want to bring their fantasy to life with bikinis, so be it. I like having an option not like in many games these days where the armors are impractical and ill-suited to the character archetype as I envision it.

If its a low fantasy kind of game, having more realistic gritty armor works well. Even if there are a lot of monsters and magic being thrown around I don't see anything bad about having that kind of realistic gear.

Agreed.

Those who demand armored bikinis are no better than the "SJWs" they so roundly castigate and who similarly seek to "censor" a developer's artistic integrity. If they choose not to include those, there are a thousand other games that do and it allows the company to maintain its vision of the game and not cave to those who want something different.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Sulaa said:
    DMKano said:
    Hype meter will start to drop off as more character graphics are released - this game has beautiful environments, but Vanguard level character graphics it seems.
    Kinda why it makes smirk on my face when I read all those "indie is answer to MMORPG".  I suspect that most players will get dissapointed when all those kickstarter MMORPGs gonna get released.   Doubt it will be much fun to play 2007 technical level MMORPG in 2020 for most players.
    Indie is not the answer to MMORPG, but indie is all has left for MMORPG. There aren't any AAA making any, even if one starts tomorrow their game wouldn't come out till 2020s. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Well TBH most players actually care about what their character looks like.  And women especially want their characters to be cute and sexy.  Don't get slutty confused with sexy.  But to men both sexy and slutty are fine.  I don't see these armor skins appealing to any women at all. 
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Leon1e said:
    I'm a woman and I don't mind the scantily clad outfits. I don't know what all the fuss is about. The characters on the images above make those character look totally uninteresting to me. They are boring, that's what they are.

The politically correct feminist movement these days .... 
    agree with that, fuck feminist they ruin even games now....
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    TBH - I'm sure we'll see much more varied armor types coming around, and they cannot just use any old model, they've got some dynamic tech being built around character models that needs to be weighted and rigged appropriately. This is in regards to the dynamic body for getting fat / muscular / aging etc.

http://images.mmorpg.com/features/9993/images/CoE-Aug18-2.jpg
    http://images.mmorpg.com/features/9993/images/CoE-Aug18-3.jpg

In regards to the character model, I don't believe it is final and these images are actually around two months old now.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Those models look great.  Now if we can just get some thinner and heavier (both endomorphic and mesomorphic) types that would be incredible.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited March 2016
    I don't care what the armor looks like as long as theirs some vanity sets you can toggle on or off maybe.

TBH though I am not surprised they are going this route considering some of the other mechanics they are going to use...not sure how long this game will last if it does come out.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    ISIS approved armor!
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    DMKano said:
    So a fantasy game that has magic and fantasy races - must have "real" armor?

Heh ok.

I'd rather take a bit of a flare over some sort of "logical fit" in a video game that's meant to be fun, but that's just my 2c

It doesn't have to be slutty, it can be armor with full coverage but doesn't have to look like it was made out of a metal trash can

There arent fantasy races like in most games. There are no elves or dwarves. Also, magic is EXTREMELY rare and you wont see enchanted magical armor on every single person.

To address a few other things Ive seen here. Armor isnt required. If someone doesnt want to be a champion or fighter they wont need armor. They will have their choice of clothing options, some of which I assume are going to be plenty revealing.

Im glad that there is far more realistic armor in this game for female fighters than, basically, every other MMO. It has nothing to do with political correctness or over sexualization. It has to do with reality. Someone wearing a chainmail bikini would be killed by so many more things than someone wearing this example of armor.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    huh, I really like those designs. I think female characters look great in "regular armor".
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2016
    Deffcon_1 said:

There arent fantasy races like in most games. There are no elves or dwarves. Also, magic is EXTREMELY rare and you wont see enchanted magical armor on every single person.

To address a few other things Ive seen here. Armor isnt required. If someone doesnt want to be a champion or fighter they wont need armor. They will have their choice of clothing options, some of which I assume are going to be plenty revealing.

Im glad that there is far more realistic armor in this game for female fighters than, basically, every other MMO. It has nothing to do with political correctness or over sexualization. It has to do with reality. Someone wearing a chainmail bikini would be killed by so many more things than someone wearing this example of armor.
    Well said. This armor, while perhaps needing more pizazz overall, suits the game's style. Not having armored bikinis in a game is no better or worse than having them. It is the artistic direction of the development team. Those clamoring for "sexy" armors are just as bad as those who rail to have them removed. In CoE's case, it's not because they've made some sort of "moral decision" to feature utilitarian armor after having showcased it before now. It's what they have opted from the get-go to provide players.

Lastly, this is the first female armor shown and I am quite sure, not the last. Patience is a virtue. And the best part? If you don't like where the team is going with their artistic license, there are 1000 other games to venture into.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Asm0deus said:
    I don't care what the armor looks like as long as theirs some vanity sets you can toggle on or off maybe.

TBH though I am not surprised they are going this route considering some of the other mechanics they are going to use...not sure how long this game will last if it does come out.
    That's what I based my warrior in guild wars 2 after :) 

And shall we all agree that different people have different fantasies. Some prefer anime/manga type of characters, others prefer more sexualized approach to feel better about themselves and others want a strict hulking down. 

I think a single game can cater to all players. Guild Wars 2 executes it more than perfectly. It does have revealing clothing, but it also has fat heavy plates and more stylized plates (slim). And above all, you get to "mix and match" various pieces. It's not bound to sets. This freedom is refreshing. And with that freedom, you don't see naked human females all the time. On the contrary, most people have really well stylized characters. Idk why people make such a fuss over it. This should be an industry STANDARD. And yes I'm talking in general, not this game in particular. The way I see it, 2 groups of players won't touch this game with a 10ft pole because of the way their toons look. Hell, even my boyfriend is kinda upset with BDO over the fact that he looks like a peasant from creation up to lvl 40. But he is not me and he endures because he couldn't care less. I'm good with my ranger, she looks >> cute <<  :) 

Back to Guild Wars 2 ... Do you consider the human T3 cultural unacceptably revealing? You do realize that some girls go out like that right? Either way... 

What I find most weird ... why do people always bring up the heavy plate armor when they talk about female armor in games? Has it ever crossed your mind that there is medium/leather and light/cloth type of armors?
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited March 2016
    The first picture is breast friendly, the last two are not.  The would require strapping down breast larger than an A cup.  Those metal Chest Plates(clearly not Breast Plates) are designed for males.  There is nothing wrong with "Designing" Full Coverage Armour for female characters.  But remember what is always in the top styles of women's shoes?  The Strappy Sandals.  I say these shoes could also be used for reference for female armour.

Both armour styles should be utilized and available in game.  No one should feel limited or restricted in Style.  The same goes for like or dislike of spikes, horns, and other gaudy over-designs.  By this I mean in Top Tier Gear there should be a clean unexaggerated armour style available.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I don't see what the fuss is about. I think it looks pretty cool, and its not going to be last the armor design, so relax @everybody
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited March 2016
    Leon1e said:
    Asm0deus said:

That's what I based my warrior in guild wars 2 after :) 

And shall we all agree that different people have different fantasies. Some prefer anime/manga type of characters, others prefer more sexualized approach to feel better about themselves and others want a strict hulking down. 

I think a single game can cater to all players. Guild Wars 2 executes it more than perfectly. It does have revealing clothing, but it also has fat heavy plates and more stylized plates (slim). And above all, you get to "mix and match" various pieces. It's not bound to sets. This freedom is refreshing. And with that freedom, you don't see naked human females all the time. On the contrary, most people have really well stylized characters. Idk why people make such a fuss over it. This should be an industry STANDARD. And yes I'm talking in general, not this game in particular. The way I see it, 2 groups of players won't touch this game with a 10ft pole because of the way their toons look. Hell, even my boyfriend is kinda upset with BDO over the fact that he looks like a peasant from creation up to lvl 40. But he is not me and he endures because he couldn't care less. I'm good with my ranger, she looks >> cute <<  :) 

Back to Guild Wars 2 ... Do you consider the human T3 cultural unacceptably revealing? You do realize that some girls go out like that right? Either way... 

What I find most weird ... why do people always bring up the heavy plate armor when they talk about female armor in games? Has it ever crossed your mind that there is medium/leather and light/cloth type of armors?
    I have no problem with different armors. What I like is when they allow cosmetic armors sets that you can toggle on or off as you please which change the look of the actual armor your wearing.

Makes it it easy to have in dungeon ugly but functional armor and to toggle in town not in dungeon armor that looks better.  

Personally I don't care what others in game wear or look like but I am going to be staring at my character an awful lot so I would rather have the choice of what my look will be.

Like I said though I don't think this game will be going that route just from what little I know about the game mechanics they want to use.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    lol they form the letter 'T' for teets
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    So women aren't allowed to have the same armor as guys do in games, it has to be short to the point that anyone can just swing at them and somehow magically the armor protects them.  I'm not seeing the issue here, this isn't like the normal clothes. This is combat armor. This is armor you take into combat.  If you are wondering around town you can wear normal "clothes"  This isn't some SJW issue (really how did we get there with this?) this is women going into combat with something that would actually protect their skin from large piece of steal, they leave the eyes open so they can see where they are going but try and protect everything else.

Also real armor doesn't mean it's realistic for going underwater or that they can hold it up, it means having armor that actually looks like it would protect the user.   I can understand a push for wanting armor that can actually be used in combat but to say that somehow this is wrong that one set of armor actually looks like something someone would wear into combat is just mind boggling. 

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    edited March 2016
    Kiyoris said:
    Leon1e said:

I don't see why things have to be mutually exclusive. Why can't we have both, sexy armors and metal armors from an old trashcan as others have stated. 
    This is why I love EQ, it has both.

It always amazes me that SJW, think they need to decide, what women should wear in games instead of letting players decide themselves.

The fact these SJW are actually present in gaming companies, is really bad. I immediately write off a game that has SJW developers.

When artists can no longer create what they wnat, and are forced to follow some SJW agenda, I no longer have any interest in the game.

EQ has both, and it is great:

Did you...did you really write off a game based on one piece of armor that you can wear? seriously? Did you really think you have to wear this armor into combat? What makes you think you can't wear a cloak or leather armor into combat, or take the helmet off?

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Kiyoris said:
    Leon1e said:
    I'm a woman and I don't mind the scantily clad outfits. I don't know what all the fuss is about.
    All my sis does in most MMO is change clothese and play with clothes. The idea that women should only be wearing armor from top to bottom, covering everything, is ridiculous, dressing up a character is what many women do in MMO.

She has only a tiny slit to look through:

Are these the casters in the game?

Most of you failed to realize the anonymity factor in this game. There is no problem with posting your opinion online however, it would behove you to understand a little about the game before you comment. Both men and women will have face covering apparently.

copy and pasted from the game feature list... you should try checking it out.

Becoming Anonymous

While characters are typically anonymous by default, there are times when you want to become anonymous even amongst those who know you. Maybe you're a famous Bard and you want to get from one side of town to the other without being accosted by fans. Maybe your boss plays CoE too and you called in sick and want to get through the guild hall without being caught. Or, maybe you're about to do something... deviant and you want the ability to say you were "nowhere near there."

Whatever the reason, as seen in Figure 1, characters can hide their identity/names by wearing a hooded cloak with the hood up. Of course, walking through town with your hood up may raise additional suspicion, but if it's your nameplate you want hidden, this'll do the trick.

• ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    I think everyone is missing the point hugely, this game is not being PC or otherwise you wouldn't have 'prostitution' as a viable career  (you make a contract with someone to make a baby for money), it is aiming for realism, as such the male/female armour in some isntances will be interchangable. 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Zultra said:
    I think everyone is missing the point hugely, this game is not being PC or otherwise you wouldn't have 'prostitution' as a viable career  (you make a contract with someone to make a baby for money), it is aiming for realism, as such the male/female armour in some isntances will be interchangable. 
    Guess you completely forgot about this

Discussion / Two new Animal concept imagery released!

then?
    It's a thread you started about creature concepts that devolved down to "it's fantasy! gtfoh with the realism crap"
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    I like the hood and I see we have capes :)  As far as female armour goes, I don't think anyone minds a bit of skin but they go a bit overboard in some games where it seems that the effectiveness of female armour is in inverse proportion to the amount of skin it covers - TERA I'm looking at you!

This one is reallly starting to look interesting though. I've been getting a bit jaded with MMO's, this looks like a breath of fresh air. Definately one I'll be watching closely.
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    edited May 2016
    Guess you completely forgot about this

Discussion / Two new Animal concept imagery released!

then?
    It's a thread you started about creature concepts that devolved down to "it's fantasy! gtfoh with the realism crap"
    Hi Timberhick

I do believe that you mismatch the meaning of realistic and Earth alike.
    The reason that you do not see those animals on Earth does not mean that they might not exist in another world.

Cold / hot temperature levels, cut, pierce wounds, on the other hand, are more likely to stay on the same level no matter if you do consider them on Earth or parallel universe.

It would be just unreasonable to go into battle in platekini. 
    Not only that kind of armour provides less protection on those uncovered body parts, but the bruises from those sexy as hell pieces of gear would virtually prevent you from taking another fight after the initial one.

I hope that casual gear will have all the flashy, sexy features that community wants.
    But when you go into combat mode, you sure want to survive that.