Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spell / Particle effects

AruviaAruvia Member UncommonPosts: 86
This is probably a bit early in dev to be looking at particle effects for spells. but here I am anyway.

One of the things I really liked in the beginning of eq1 that was later changed and I have never really seen mentioned was that the particle effects for spell started small and got larger and/or more colorful as you got higher level.

as an example if a druid cast lesser heal. it has a rather small effect if however a level 20 cast that same spell it had a much larger particle effect

where skin like wood had a small simple green effect. after level 20 it was much larger more sparkles and also had orange particles added to it.

as you got stronger / higher level the same spells looked more powerful and I don't mean that lesser heal had a smaller effect than greater heal I mean the exact same spell got more powerful looking.  it was just one more display of progression and if someone buffed you in passing I would be like " wow that must be a high character, I cant wait for my spells to look like that."  I really enjoyed this and would love to see it return in a game like Pantheon... just one of many little details lost

Comments

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Agreed.  My biggest concern is they don't go WoW mode apeshit with particle effects in the late game.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• AruviaAruvia Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Hrimnir said:
    Agreed.  My biggest concern is they don't go WoW mode apeshit with particle effects in the late game.

Yes, I suppose I should have clarified I would like to see progressing effects within the bounds of their style.

Personally I think wow effects fit well in Wow where they made the stylistic choice to exaggerate everything, spells, armor, weapons. heck even trees are exaggerated so there it makes sense to me for their style.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited March 2016
    I loved EQ particle effects. To this day I have yet to see particle effects that rivaled EQ, regardless of how hq or hi res, big or fancy. Its hard to put my finger on exactly what it was about them, but it was beyond just the fact that they grew in size and color (which was awesome, and should 100% be in Pantheon). They had an almost tangible quality to them. The way healing poured from the hands like water, or cinders floating upward and engulfing the hands, arms and even body of the caster. With invis, mirror like bubbles cloaking the caster until they fade away. In buffs, particles actually surrounding the target, embracing them, and then bouncing off as if to show an aura now protected the individual. They were just masterfully done.

Like so much of the game, much of that was lost over the years in updates and with new spells.

• AruviaAruvia Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Dullahan said:
    I loved EQ particle effects. To this day I have yet to see particle effects that rivaled EQ, regardless of how hq or hi res, big or fancy. Its hard to put my finger on exactly what it was about them, but it was beyond just the fact that they grew in size and color (which was awesome, and should 100% be in Pantheon). They had an almost tangible quality to them. The way healing poured from the hands like water, or cinders floating upward and engulfing the hands, arms and even body of the caster. In buffs, particles actually surrounding the target, embracing them, and then bouncing off as if to show an aura now protected the individual. They were just masterfully done.

Like so much of the game, much of that was lost over the years in updates and with new spells.

Yes this! you describe the feeling of the effects much much better than I could.

edited March 2016
    Just look at that levitation spell @ 3:10. Its like the particles literally lifted the guard off the ground. Or the fire, which made the character look like they were about to go nova. The blind @ 4:04, creating blinding light all around the target.

That sort of thing just hasn't been recreated since. I don't know who was responsible for that stuff, but they need to pay them to come out of retirement if necessary to do the same for Pantheon.

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Dullahan said:
    I loved EQ particle effects. To this day I have yet to see particle effects that rivaled EQ, regardless of how hq or hi res, big or fancy. Its hard to put my finger on exactly what it was about them, but it was beyond just the fact that they grew in size and color (which was awesome, and should 100% be in Pantheon). They had an almost tangible quality to them. The way healing poured from the hands like water, or cinders floating upward and engulfing the hands, arms and even body of the caster. With invis, mirror like bubbles cloaking the caster until they fade away. In buffs, particles actually surrounding the target, embracing them, and then bouncing off as if to show an aura now protected the individual. They were just masterfully done.

I once killed a party member with particle effects in EQ.  There were 3 of us - 2 barbarians (shaman and rogue) and me (half elf bard).  We were at the top of the path at the zone in to High Hold Pass.  We had just come from High Hold and it was dark.  I was play Selo's (movement speed song) and the rogue followed one of the particle effects right off the path.  He was bound  in the barbarian starting city.  He ended up giving permission to loot his corpse to his buddy (the other barbarian).  It took us an hour to find the body (thank god for corpse locate song) and another hour and a half to get back to safety (did I mention that we were level 7 or 8?).
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    The way the spells oozed and dripped from the caster's hands was a really great effect, and as OP said the higher level you got the bigger and better they visually looked with more colors added. I hope they do this and also have the many tiny particles like EQ had. The visual of 100's of tiny magic balls or stars swirling and raining down is fantastic, and yes it would be awesome to know who did those for the original EQ.

If you come across this Brad do you know who was responsible for this on the original Everquest? 
  • Curt2013Curt2013 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Agree with ya'll on this as well for the most part. Just hope the spells don't get too crazy with the effects. On the most recent video I did notice the tanks sword at lvl 7 was already glowing and had a tracer that looked more like a light saber IMO should be toned down a bit not a huge deal to me tho.
    Curt2013 said:
    Agree with ya'll on this as well for the most part. Just hope the spells don't get too crazy with the effects. On the most recent video I did notice the tanks sword at lvl 7 was already glowing and had a tracer that looked more like a light saber IMO should be toned down a bit not a huge deal to me tho.
    That is just Brad playing Aradune. Its a tribute to the old fiery avenger from EQ. I seriously doubt we'll be seeing anything like that early on in Pantheon.