Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most gamers Not Interested in VR in 2016?

12345679»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I have been saying it since day one. VR is just another gimmick. Yeah it's cool and all but no freaking way is anybody going to sit around for long periods of time with that dopey thing hanging off their face. Period end of story.

people have and people will. I suggest in the next 6 months or so try one. Your description of what it 'only' does is not correct. but it helps to understand what 6 degrees of movement ACTUALLY feels like 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    who would actually take what Seanmcad is saying seriously at this point? You've been defending VR SO MUCH in these posts, that nobody is going to put any stock in what you say.

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Tomshardware posted an interesting "history" of VR on the 24th March:

http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/704-2-history-of-virtual-reality.html

I knew things had been in development a while but not that long! Did stir some memories.
    gervaise1 said:
    Tomshardware posted an interesting "history" of VR on the 24th March:

http://www.tomshardware.com/picturestory/704-2-history-of-virtual-reality.html

I knew things had been in development a while but not that long! Did stir some memories.
    the evolution of the so called 'smart phone' is very similar.

years of slow to nothing progress then BAM all of the sudden problems solve.

namely because the tech that enabled that rapid change is in both devices

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    SEANMCAD said:

Ridelynn said:
    Here's my own rationale:

You spend $600 to buy into the VR ecosystem. That gets you access to ... the almost 200 titles you mentioned before. 
    wait hold on what? so begining of this year there was 176 titles with 100 planned for this year. Do you actually think game development at that time will completely stop? that in 2017 there will be zero releases? also, when the first xbox came out how many games where there?
    How many Kinect titles are there? How many NeoGeo titles? How many Wii U titles? How many PS Vita titles? How many Dreamcast titles? How many Ouya titles? 

A lot of those had a lot of excitement and buzz around them too. A lot of those also had a lot of industry support. A lot of those had significant money behind them.

Sometimes these things catch fire, often times they don't.

Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Ridelynn said:
    Here's my own rationale:

You spend $600 to buy into the VR ecosystem. That gets you access to ... the almost 200 titles you mentioned before. 
    wait hold on what? so begining of this year there was 176 titles with 100 planned for this year. Do you actually think game development at that time will completely stop? that in 2017 there will be zero releases? also, when the first xbox came out how many games where there?
    How many Kinect titles are there? How many NeoGeo titles? How many Wii U titles? How many PS Vita titles? How many Dreamcast titles? How many Ouya titles? 

A lot of those had a lot of excitement and buzz around them too. A lot of those also had a lot of industry support. A lot of those had significant money behind them.

Sometimes these things catch fire, often times they don't.

wait what?

because Kinect failed is the reason why Oculus will not have anymore titles after 2016?

wat?

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    SEANMCAD said:

let me stated it a 3rd time.

Do you honestly think a 2 billion dollar investment by Facebook and a predicted to be 200 billion dollar market didnt take a few months to I dont know...test this out?

or is this the entire missing link, their over sight on this one detail will become the largest retail failure in human history...really?

No, it won't be the largest retail failure. It may be a big one, but hardly the largest. And yes, I do think an entire industry can overlook something, no matter how much money is thrown at it. Nothing is perfect first iteration. Nothing is perfect in it's final iteration.

I'm glad you think it's comfortable. But you seem to be unwilling to accept the fact that other people may think it's uncomfortable. Which doesn't really strike me odd, because you haven't exactly shown a lot of understanding of other people's perspectives here.

Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:

let me stated it a 3rd time.

Do you honestly think a 2 billion dollar investment by Facebook and a predicted to be 200 billion dollar market didnt take a few months to I dont know...test this out?

or is this the entire missing link, their over sight on this one detail will become the largest retail failure in human history...really?

No, it won't be the largest retail failure. It may be a big one, but hardly the largest. And yes, I do think an entire industry can overlook something, no matter how much money is thrown at it. Nothing is perfect first iteration. Nothing is perfect in it's final iteration.

I'm glad you think it's comfortable. But you seem to be unwilling to accept the fact that other people may think it's uncomfortable. Which doesn't really strike me odd, because you haven't exactly shown a lot of understanding of other people's perspectives here.

ok

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I'm personally not interested in VR. The price of entry is outrageous and I have no desire to strap gear to my head. Honestly none of the VR games that I have seen so far interest me that much me anyway. For those who have the cash and enjoy it, have fun. I don't want it to fail, it's just not for me. Which is fine.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    VR can be financially successful while being a massive retail failure quite easily imo. VR Military and medical training applications will be a huge area of profit.

You know what's expensive? Putting a newbie pilot in a jet / naval vessel or building a massive replica for them to test in. VR sims can be done in less space, will fewer moving pieces. A handful of DoD contracts and who needs retail?

Surgery students get sparse little hands on time with cadavers and a lot of practice is done on pigs. An artificial body + VR headset can be a great value and asset to any hospital/medical school to train and prep for complicated procedures.
    Rusque said:
    VR can be financially successful while being a massive retail failure quite easily imo. VR Military and medical training applications will be a huge area of profit.

You know what's expensive? Putting a newbie pilot in a jet / naval vessel or building a massive replica for them to test in. VR sims can be done in less space, will fewer moving pieces. A handful of DoD contracts and who needs retail?

Surgery students get sparse little hands on time with cadavers and a lot of practice is done on pigs. An artificial body + VR headset can be a great value and asset to any hospital/medical school to train and prep for complicated procedures.
    very good points.

which incidently is why I think SonyVR will not do as well as Oculus. SonyVR can only work for games, not everything else.

its also why I think at least for the first year the sales will be very high because VR covers a lot of industries, not just games and not just retail

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Dahkoht said:
    Heres someone who has had it for a week , and is a VR enthusiast. It's also the best case I've seen for why it will be niche at best. Most PC gamers will not pay for physical discomfort while playing a game.

You seem to not realize it's not all about the cost , some of us can afford to burn 700 dollars at any time and it not affect anything , but why would I even for free make myself uncomfortable to play a game?

Again , from VR enthusiasts who has had it for a week.

Physical discomfort is the #1 biggest issue.

In order to experience the niftiness of VR, you’ve got to be willing to put up with some persistent low- and mid-grade physical discomfort. It starts with the headset, which is comfortable at first but after 20 or 30 minutes will begin to push into your face. It gets warmer over time, as well, and after playing for an hour or so I’m acutely aware of the fact that I have a heat-radiating piece of electronic gear strapped to my face.

Most Rift games are haunted by the specter of nausea, as well, though to varying degrees. Known as “Virtual Reality Sickness,” the nausea I felt was usually related to the fact that my eyes were telling my brain that I was moving through space while my inner ear was aware that I was actually sitting still. The studios making the Rift’s launch games have come up with a number of creative ways of combating VR sickness, but the fact remains that at any moment while playing any game, you might suddenly start feeling queasy.

@Dahkoht interesting quote; source, please?

In Time's review, posted this morning, they state "the headset itself is quite light and comfortable enough to wear for long stretches of time."

This is not to say it's perfect, but I think most of the items in your quote are known, and my perception is that right now it's a matter of the benefits outweighing the drawbacks.  Obviously, it won't be for everyone.

As for me, right now I'm a very happy camper.  When the time comes, not even @SEANMCAD could dissuade me from purchasing a VR rig; all I wanted was a good, affordable Head Mounted Display to play Vendetta Online on.  Instead, I'm getting to witness "a paradigm shift".

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606
    I'm very interested in it, and will likely buy a set around fall when I build a new pc capable of using VR. The main reason I'm waiting is because I want a chance to actually try the two competing headsets before I buy one, and because it's really REALLY stupid to be an early adopter of new tech before it has the bugs worked out. (I always wait 3-6 months after the launch of any new tech. It's saved me tens of thousands over my life, and countless frustration.)

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

Kazuhiro said:
    I'm very interested in it, and will likely buy a set around fall when I build a new pc capable of using VR. The main reason I'm waiting is because I want a chance to actually try the two competing headsets before I buy one, and because it's really REALLY stupid to be an early adopter of new tech before it has the bugs worked out. (I always wait 3-6 months after the launch of any new tech. It's saved me tens of thousands over my life, and countless frustration.)
    agree completely 100%. In fact, on that exact point I do worry about having pre-ordered. I hate that 9 months down the line I wish I had gotten the Vive instead