Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cannot Make Another WoW and Make WoW Money Again

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    goboygo said:
    What does the US economy have to do with you not liking the way the modern MMO is designed?

Kind of like how Shoe Size determines which pizza chain you enjoy most. haha
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

2016 vs 2004.  The economy is bad, and it's not getting better.  

6 million subs x $15 dollars a month = $90,000,000 a month revenue.  After server, fees, upgrades, lets just call that 45,000,000.

Please show me a game generating that.  Then add in the conversation about being a decade old.

Say what you will, but they're still generating more revenue than any other multiple games combined.  And their fans are die hard.

Politics aside because I wish we could choose 'None of the Above' on the ballot.  But neither side courts my independent vote until Nov.
    Ikeda said:

2016 vs 2004.  The economy is bad, and it's not getting better.  

6 million subs x $15 dollars a month = $90,000,000 a month revenue.  After server, fees, upgrades, lets just call that 45,000,000.

Please show me a game generating that.  Then add in the conversation about being a decade old.

Say what you will, but they're still generating more revenue than any other multiple games combined.  And their fans are die hard.

Politics aside because I wish we could choose 'None of the Above' on the ballot.  But neither side courts my independent vote until Nov.

Sometimes the only winning move is not to play!

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    the world is changing mush faster than people realize.they dont need money anymore,the elites of this world.
    gold standard has been gone for a long time so they dont have to back any money reserves with gold,they just print as mush as they want,games,movies,t.v shows,music are only tools for conditioning the masses!
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    edited March 2016

Okay, great, so they get to make more money from poorer people for lower-quality, inferior products.  Hooray.  The thing is, I understand how truly great and fun an MMORPG could be, but I've also realized that no one will ever make one.
    Sorry to say gramps... We are the uncool adults now... Clash of the clans is where the big money is... Mobile is the new cool and consoles and PC are for old people who can not keep up. 

That... Is a sad but unavoidable truth. 

We have become the previous generation... 

also #sanderwillsaveyou

This have been a good conversation

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Even thou I love talking politics, stay on topic guys or the thread will be closed. 

Gaming and politics don't mix. 

Plus after all the games I jump in and out of one game I keep going back to is WoW. All cought up on xpacs and waiting for Legion to drop. :awesome: 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Also to be fair i would not say that there are no more WoW kind of money to make... You just will not make it with WoW type of gameplay. You either find your self a new niche or you look for the next big thing. VR might be it. But that is a wild bet. 

This have been a good conversation

Brenics said:
    Even thou I love talking politics, stay on topic guys or the thread will be closed. 

Gaming and politics don't mix. 

Plus after all the games I jump in and out of one game I keep going back to is WoW. All cought up on xpacs and waiting for Legion to drop. :awesome: 

A little too late.  Post #2 started it.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

INFOWARS.com  Enough said.

Please tell me you're joking. 

INFOWARS.com  Enough said.

Please tell me you're joking. 
    I don't think he is! LOL

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

2016 vs 2004.  The economy is bad, and it's not getting better.  People with college degrees cannot find good paying jobs, if they can find a job at all.  More people are on some kind of government assistance than ever before.  Corporations prefer their slave factories in foreign countries to providing Americans with a way to earn a decent living.  Even higher paying tech jobs are being given to foreign companies and foreign workers.

And players are, or should be, sick to death of the Everquest/WoW 'endgame' concept.

I happen to think that economic hard times is good for MMORPGs.  If I write out the reasons why I think so, would anyone here read it?

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

Beatnik59 said:

2016 vs 2004.  The economy is bad, and it's not getting better.  People with college degrees cannot find good paying jobs, if they can find a job at all.  More people are on some kind of government assistance than ever before.  Corporations prefer their slave factories in foreign countries to providing Americans with a way to earn a decent living.  Even higher paying tech jobs are being given to foreign companies and foreign workers.

And players are, or should be, sick to death of the Everquest/WoW 'endgame' concept.

I happen to think that economic hard times is good for MMORPGs.  If I write out the reasons why I think so, would anyone here read it?
    Well cheaper to pay for the cable and play games instead of going to movies, out for dinner and other activities. Is that what you mean? Of course i would read it. :+1:  

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Tsuru said:
    Everyone has their own opinion on what they think a role playing game is and should have in it. Just cause its not your "scene" doesnt make it true for everyone.

That's true enough.  But I've played D&D and AD&D tabletop, pencil-and-paper rpgs, what all these games are based on, so I think I have some idea of what a role-playing game should actually look like.
    Or maybe you don't?  Even when playing pen and paper style rpgs people had different ideas of what was good roleplay was.  WoW is perfectly fine and so was EQ; they both have huge downsides, but you shouldn't talk down to people for liking them.

I hope before I die there is true evolving world online with amazing AI that makes a living breathing changing game.

I'd love to experience a situation where it's not even roleplay - it's just an online world.  That sword of truth is literally a one of a kind because the NPC made something different for the next person.
  • VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Stick to discussing games please, continued discussion of politics will get this thread closed.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Vaross said:
    Stick to discussing games please, continued discussion of politics will get this thread closed.
    Then why didn't you delete the first half of the OP which started all this?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595

And players are, or should be, sick to death of the Everquest/WoW 'endgame' concept.  The whole kill monsters to get better gear to kill harder monsters to get better gear until you get best in slot gear is so very lame.  Stop calling them role-playing games.  It's a joke.  PVP in any or all of them is lazy and unimaginative, and just trains or allows people to behave or think like criminals.

Massively Monotonous Repeat Pay Games, that's all they want to make for people to play.  If you ever think there's ever going to be another good MMORPG (or if there ever really was), you're just asking for disappointment.

So Is it the Subscription you have a problem with? If so what is your solution? It takes a constant stream of money coming in to keep the Servers Online. How else do you expect them to get that constant stream of money if people don't continue paying? Unlike Single Player Games MMOs are a Service. Just about every Service costs money because they have to pay to keep the service going. 

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Beatnik59 said:
    Hard economic times are good for smaller budget F2P / cheap games.  

On the other hand for huge AAA MMORPG production high point was in times of consumer bonanza spending in USA and across the Globe in 2004-2008. 

New games, huge growth, companies starting developements of new big AAA MMORPGs (that mostly got released in 2007-2012) 
    Then by inertia it still went for a while  but eventually it crashed along with economy and latest AAA MMORPG projects that either vere long overdue or started at the end of MMORPG prosperity got cancelled.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited March 2016

People with college degrees cannot find good paying jobs, if they can find a job at all.

it will only get worse

40% of college majors will be replaced by automation within the next decade according to a study

youth unemployment in europe is anywhere from 7 to 61%

• maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161

And players are, or should be, sick to death of the Everquest/WoW 'endgame' concept.  The whole kill monsters to get better gear to kill harder monsters to get better gear until you get best in slot gear is so very lame.  Stop calling them role-playing games.  It's a joke.  PVP in any or all of them is lazy and unimaginative, and just trains or allows people to behave or think like criminals.

Massively Monotonous Repeat Pay Games, that's all they want to make for people to play.  If you ever think there's ever going to be another good MMORPG (or if there ever really was), you're just asking for disappointment.

100% wrong lol.

u do know that wow has 5mil subs still atleast? and 5mil subs = 5x12 so around 600+ mil a month on just wow
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Vaross said:
    I just read this after I posted, not sure my post is political or not. Well, you are welcome to remove the post if it is.
  • Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    It's like characters in an MMORPG were born into a caste system.  They can never rise above or go below their position in the world.  And they only have one primary role to play with slight variations depending on their class - adventurer/mercenary (quester/monster slayer or player killer in PVP).  With the possible secondary roles of crafter and gatherer.  That is all.

Well, they essentially are born into a caste system.  As far as I know the only mainstream game that has this sort of thing would be EVE.  I would think you would need a full sandbox with minimal NPC organizations so players could compete to become leaders, influence trade, etc.  Pathfinder Online tried to do something similar in a fantasy setting, but ran out of money and failed hard.

In a PvE setting what is to distinguish your special character from the other 5000 special characters on the server?
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Timing is everything. For over 10 years companies tried to clone WoW, but with little success because people liked WoW itself. Now WoW is getting a bit tired. There is room for another game like WoW. But no one seems to be making one. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Kiyoris said:

People with college degrees cannot find good paying jobs, if they can find a job at all.

it will only get worse

40% of college majors will be replaced by automation within the next decade according to a study

youth unemployment in europe is anywhere from 7 to 61%

Without talking about politics too much, there is one simple sobering fact makes this fairly unlikely or unlikely for the unforeseeable future.

Capitalism cannot co-exist with the apex of technology.

If multiple professions and businesses automate to lower cost and improve profits, How to people pay for the goods and services(and thus businesses profit) if everyone is unemployed due to everything being automated? 

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    There is still tons of money to be made but it's going to require a new product and not just a coat of paint on old tired concepts
  • bstoops50bstoops50 Member CommonPosts: 2
    Yes I agree with you,  bstoops50