Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another VR headset sells out

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3047094/software-games/sonys-playstation-vr-bundles-go-up-for-pre-order-and-quickly-sell-out.html

I think now every single VR headset that has come out has sold out within weeks.

Oculus Dk1, Dk2, Gear VR innovators edition, Gear VR full edition, Oculus Rift CV1 and now Sony

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Doesn't surprise me at all.  There are plenty of people out there (me included) that want to see VR succeed and raise the bar on gaming.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    looking forward to getting mine
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Without a single one of these companies releasing any sales numbers the term "sold out" is meaningless. If all they are doing is running small production batches to test the waters then the actual number of VR units may actually be very, very small. It's all a marketing ploy to gin up hype.

That said, once some games that I'm interested in get made for VR I'll be purchasing a Vive. From everything I've read it's the best Gen 1 headset .

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    edited March 2016
    Without a single one of these companies releasing any sales numbers the term "sold out" is meaningless. If all they are doing is running small production batches to test the waters then the actual number of VR units may actually be very, very small. It's all a marketing ploy to gin up hype.

That said, once some games that I'm interested in get made for VR I'll be purchasing a Vive. From everything I've read it's the best Gen 1 headset .
    Going to media sites and telling everyone that their batch of 100 VR headsets has SOLD OUT! is a marketing trick as old as Rome.  When everyone hears that the first production run Sold Out!  or has Limited Quantities Available!, then they may be less skittish about pulling the trigger when they become available again.  OH man!  They're back on sale!  I had better get one of these things that I'm not even sure that I want before they sell out again!

I'm not saying that VR won't be super popular or mainstream, but I am saying that this is a load of horse shit marketing.

EDIT:  LOL, I didn't read to the bottom before posting but here's a golden nugget at the bottom of the article:  "For those who miss this round of pre-orders, Sony says not to despair, as it’ll offer a second wave this summer."

Don't despair folks!  Their marketing plan is working as intended! kekeke
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited March 2016
    H0urg1ass said:

Going to media sites and telling everyone that their batch of 100 VR headsets has SOLD OUT! is a marketing trick as old as Rome. 
    1. if its 'old as rome' did xbox do it? did sony playstattion do it? id "3D TV market do it?. both Sony and MIcrosoft HYPER Hype the marking hype meter did they do that?

2. 5 times? really 5 times in a row from different companies all do the same 'trick' repeatedly?

3. are you making it up or do you actually have examples of what you are suggesting happening in other products?

SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Going to media sites and telling everyone that their batch of 100 VR headsets has SOLD OUT! is a marketing trick as old as Rome. 
    1. if its 'old as rome' did xbox do it? did sony playstattion do it? id "3D TV market do it?. both Sony and MIcrosoft HYPER Hype the marking hype meter did they do that?

2. 5 times? really 5 times in a row from different companies all do the same 'trick' repeatedly?

3. are you making it up or do you actually have examples of what you are suggesting happening in other products?

Playstation 3 Sells out.
    Playstation 4 Sells out.  Sells out.
    Xbox 360 Sells out.
    Xbox1 Sells out. Sells out.

3dTV is DEAD.  Oh look, another dead gimmick.
    edited March 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Playstation 3 Sells out.
    Xbox 360 Sells out.

nice I didnt know that. I didnt know those companies do these tricks as well, nor that such tactics is proof that PS3 and xbox were failures

Now....help me with this one

what is the reasoning behind this statement 'nobody is rushing out buying these things'

other than pulling a random thought out of the sky like 'people from pluto have no nooses' what would a person base the statement in bold on?

edit: oh wait I get it he is saying nobody is phyiscally running out of their house, down the road out of breath running to buy something' well there is that data point I suppose

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited March 2016
    I'm more interested in how many MMORPG developers are rushing to support these devices, which ones will they support since there is no clear standard, and when will EVE support VR?

All the rest is just background noise, I could care less about VR support for random console game XYZ that I'll never play.

Stay Pure!

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2016
    Kyleran said:
    I'm more interested in how many MMORPG developers are rushing to support these devices, which ones will they support since there is no clear standard, and when will EVE support VR?

All the rest is just background noise, I could care less about VR support for random console game XYZ that I'll never play.

Stay Pure!

well to be fair if you are like me and watching the news on VR even remotely you would know a F ton of developers are getting on the VR wagon. Not so much MMORPG which to be honest in my view makes sense.
    1. MMORPG players tend to be the laggards in the customer market.
    2. They tend to play on extreemly long play sessions which can be a problem for VR. When I say long I mean like 10 hours in one sitting
    3. and How did you know know that CCP is creating one of the main VR games set in the Eve universe?

these developers:

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    "There's a sucker born every minute" - David Hannum

SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Playstation 3 Sells out.
    Xbox 360 Sells out.

nice I didnt know that. I didnt know those companies do these tricks as well, nor that such tactics is proof that PS3 and xbox were failures

Stop moving the goddamn goal post.
    edited March 2016
    H0urg1ass said:

Stop moving the goddamn goal post.
    and...the rest of my post completely ignored?

for someone who is clever enough to notice subtleties like that you sure do tend to select what to respond to.

now go back and please respond to ALL my points and questions

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Who cares their marketing tricks?! Tell me how many games support it and which ones.
    Multibyte said:
    Who cares their marketing tricks?! Tell me how many games support it and which ones.
    Copied and pasted list incoming in 5,4,3,2... one.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Playstation 3 Sells out.
    Xbox 360 Sells out.

Selling over 80 million units is a failure? I know they didnt have the juice to sell 150 million like the Playstation 2 did, making it the #1 console in the world, but come on now. Over 80 million units sold is still a big success.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited March 2016
    Kinect was also sold out. Then it proceeded to sell total of 24 million units (data from February 2013). People buying these kinds of things doesn't mean that people would also use them.

I'm not saying that VR would turn out like Kinect, but we can't tell if it's going to succeed based on how many units they sell, or short demos. Only after commercial versions have been released and been used a couple of months we'll be able to see whether VR turns out to be something that's worth using regularly in our gaming, or just a novelty that's fun for while but not good enough in the long run.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    edited March 2016
    Everyone loved the idea of the Wii controller also , everyone will be off their couch and moving around playing games , the controller is dead.

That worked out also.

Preach on VR evangelists.

(btw my wife makes high end custom clothes at times and sells them on Facebook for a good profit , she sells out every single time , she makes one each time)

Although out of all of them this one I think will get the most actual use. Every review I've read on it notes how much more comfortable it is over all the others because Sony designed the weight to be distributed across the top of your head and not your face.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Though i do think they actually have a much smaller stock so selling out is much easier to say, there is a very good reason for it. It is a 400-800$ piece of NEW tech that requires additional expensive hardware to run. It would only be sane as a business to keep your expectations on sales reasonable knowing those facts and clearly with how they are selling its breaking every company's expectations which goes to show there is a lot of interest. 

I still find it amusing seeing people call it a gimmick or say its just like 3DTV, it just shows clear as day they have never really tried any decent VR. i have yet to show someone (using even gearVR) VR stuff and they are not basically blown away by it. As somone who owned things like a wii,kinect and a 3dtv and found those to be gimmicky as hell, which you could tell very quickly after using it and seeing its limits, that VR is not in the same leauge.
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Again , the VR evangelists can't seem to accept the fact that many KNOW they don't want to wear a mask on their face for hours playing their PC games at home.

I can't quite grasp why that is hard to understand. I know I don't want to not use my mechanical keyboard and 4k monitors , I know I don't want to not be able to see the football game , news , or whatever in my peripheral vision on the big screen off to my side. I know I don't want to not see the rest of the room , my kids , my wife , my pug or whatever else is trying to get my attention. I know I want to play Camelot Unchained , the tons of strategy games and so on I want to play that VR will never , never work for. I know I want the extreme precision of a high DPI mouse in a FPS shooter and so on. I know a majority of my night gaming time I am remoted into mutliple Exchange and SQL servers running jobs on my second machine sitting beside me.

I think it will end up a niche just like the extreme air simulation enthusiasts spend thousands on their setup.

Why is that not ok ? Why do VR evangelists insist they "know" others will like it and know better than the people themselves ?

How will you fix all of the above that many people have one or more of the same likes and needs ?
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited March 2016
    Playstation VR is the only VR that makes any sense. It's $399, which is a figure most people can justify. And you don't need any expensive hardware upgrades, it will run on every playstation 4.

VR on the PC side is a complete mess on the other hand. The VR devices are far more expensive, you need extremely expensive hardware GPU upgrades and there is no interopability between headsets or any standards. There is also no input standard whatsoever, some headsets sell controllers, some do not, some use an xbox controller, it's a complete mess on PC, it makes no sense.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited March 2016
    PS4 with it's hardware limits is one part, as we don't see big AAA games hitting on the system, if they don't have a game or something make people use the VR most of the time, it's just going be a other gimmick. That people won't pick it up anymore when there still better games with out using the VR on the PS4.

PC VR is like on the Edge being a gimmick being costing to much.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Kyleran said:

Stay Pure!

I'm not sure VR is suitable for MMO's.  As someone mentioned above, mmo players play for up to 8 hours or more in one sitting.

Not only that, but 3rd person VR is awkward.  Devs will need to come out with different camera positioning.
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    This video is now 4 years old, and VR is still literally nowhere.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2016

The mindset and only criteria of gamer's seems to be,it is NEW must buy,must spend money.

As for VR it is not about SUPPORT,ANY low rate developer can support it,it is about QUALITY of use and i see now and later and much later into the future VERY crap implementations that do not warrant spending  any money on these VR sets.

I guess gamer's have not been paying attention,we can't get developers to make a complete Triple A mmorpg without adding more cost and effort to the game development cycle.SO how on earth has any of the VR buyers put into their mind that devs will be doing some quality VR work is beyond me,i don't think  ANY thought was put into the purchases at all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Wizardry said:

The mindset and only criteria of gamer's seems to be,it is NEW must buy,must spend money.
    This has a name in photography. People call it "GAS"..short for Gear Acquisition Syndrome.