Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Does Bethesda's Todd Howard Thinks of VR?

2»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2016
    VR manufacturers want game companies to spend multi-millions on games so they can make "loadsa money". Game companies however have no interest in spending money simply to advertise headsets. With no installed user base its simply not good business sense - totally understand why Zenimax wasn't interested years ago. May still not be "that" interested.

We saw the same issue with 3D cinema screens that needed Avatar to break the logjam. Also Kinnect / Move / Motion Plus and the Balance Board. 

And then there is the competition. Direct competition such as Samsung's idea to use a headband you can put a smartphone in; indirect such as large screen "4k" TVs, HD OLED TVs in particular.

And then there is AR. Which - to me - seems to have greater potential at this stage. Google Glass is sort of in the background at the moment but Microsoft are pushing their Hololens technology. For businesses as well as consumers. Even with MS pushing though - remember when MS started pushing touch screens? But who knows maybe (AR) Minecraft or (AR) Autodesk will have an Avatar type impact. (In businesses AR Autodesk and other products could (I suspect will) catch on). 

Back in the Dark Ages I saw my first "3D TV" - an exhibit in a big WarnerBros store; the image was tiny and probably fuzzy like my memory - it was soooo long ago - but it was jaw dropping. And that is how I would like my VR - holodeck style. How far away is that though?
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    edited March 2016
    Someone mentioned affordable above and I have to ask how is the PS VR bundle not affordable?  It's the cheapest I've seen any VR yet and it comes with a ton of extras to make the whole thing work.  Every other VR headset out there is a good  $300+ more and that's without being in a bundle with all the other accessories one will need to even use them.

Reading back through the posts, it seems none of you are aware of the Playstation VR headset coming out in October.  The bundle is $499, you can preorder now, helping offset the cost by paying for it between now and then, this is via Gamestop by the way.  It includes the PS camera, PS move controllers, stereo headphones, cables, a demo disc and VR Worlds disc, plus the device needed to process the headset itself.  That's quite an awesome bundle in my opinion.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    edited March 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    And then there is AR. Which - to me - seems to have greater potential at this stage. Google Glass is sort of in the background at the moment but Microsoft are pushing their Hololens technology. For businesses as well as consumers. Even with MS pushing though - remember when MS started pushing touch screens? But who knows maybe (AR) Minecraft or (AR) Autodesk will have an Avatar type impact. (In businesses AR Autodesk and other products could (I suspect will) catch on). 
    Nah VR has business application. Ford are using their own VR headset when they are designing new models. Running their own software. 

However VR has too much of a steep price to be even considered these days. 

The consoles does not support VR at all, so all those console plebs won't be even asking for VR. And we already know that the industry has heavily shifted toward console game development. That's the sad truth. 

For every new AAA PC game there are 3 exclusive console ones. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    elocke said:
    Someone mentioned affordable above and I have to ask how is the PS VR bundle not affordable?  It's the cheapest I've seen any VR yet and it comes with a ton of extras to make the whole thing work.  Every other VR headset out there is a good  $300+ more and that's without being in a bundle with all the other accessories one will need to even use them.

Reading back through the posts, it seems none of you are aware of the Playstation VR headset coming out in October.  The bundle is $499, you can preorder now, helping offset the cost by paying for it between now and then, this is via Gamestop by the way.  It includes the PS camera, PS move controllers, stereo headphones, cables, a demo disc and VR Worlds disc, plus the device needed to process the headset itself.  That's quite an awesome bundle in my opinion.
    It seems the "true cost" of VR is heavily dependant on the current tech level of the user.

http://www.windowscentral.com/vr-price-comparison

A lot of the cost sits in the device that the VR headset will connect to. Samsung's smartphone-VR is cheap if you already own the required phone. If not, it's less affordable.

Similarly, Playstation VR is quite affordable if you already have a PS4 (and are willing to accept the limitations that will go with that).

Oculus and Vive will require a beefy PC to drive them. That could cost some people a chunk of change in upgrades...
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    elocke said:

Everything I've read about the Playstation VR states that it is only PS4 compatible.  Sony can afford to offer their model for a lot cheaper because they know that it will drive sales of more games and more Playstations.  In other words, their other products are helping offset the costs.

I would be very very surprised if their VR headset is PC compatible right out of the gate.  It makes all the sense in the world to tether it to their proprietary system so that you keep buying their products.

So yeah, if you're a PS4 gamer, then you have a fantastic early VR option.  If you're not... sucks for you, go ahead and pony up $800.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited March 2016
    guys regarding all this 3D comparision. despite the fact of it being functionally different and giving you a very limited experience by comparision, I think the market itself between the two is also radically different.

You didnt have nearly ever major tech company on the planet investing heavy in 3D.
    you didint have tons of content being created before 3D was even out.
    you didnt have the opening add at the Oscars be 3D related.
    you didnt have multiple sell outs from multiple companies
    you didnt have Wesley Snipes, William H Macy in adds for 3d
    you didnt have Kevin Spacy being asked in an interview what he thinks of 3D

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me