Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Division is Already Better Than Destiny - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Division is Already Better Than Destiny - MMORPG.com News

The Division has been compared to Destiny since long before it launched. Now that both games are in the wild, our RPG columnist has gotten his hands on both and has rendered his initial verdict. It might change once, but for now, find out why he think The Division is clearly better than Destiny.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Disagree 100% Destiny at release is 10X the game Division is at release. At least Destiny gave me a month of content. Division gave me a week if even.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Destiny is better.

• handheldhandheld Member UncommonPosts: 120

psiic said:

Disagree 100% Destiny at release is 10X the game Division is at release. At least Destiny gave me a month of content. Division gave me a week if even.

See now i disagree with you.

Destiny on release was atrocious. Was it fun? Sure. But it had zero staying power at release. Even worse was the highly unfavorable way they had requirements for the harder content. Want to do a raid? Well here is your minimum light level oh and btw to get that minimum light level you need to farm the harder content which btw if your light level wasn't high enough you would get easily stomped in OH NOT TO MENTION those drops are all random and incredibly rare.

Destiny's biggest Issue at launch was that its hardest endgame content was gated by needing higher end equipment which you could only get through doing said high end content and since there is no matchmaking you had to hope to find a group doing it. On top of that even if you did that high end content you were not guaranteed to get a piece of gear to help you do said high end content and could easily find something far worse or sometimes nothing at all.

Division while not perfect avoids that by allowing you to craft said gear and also has built in matchmaking. Division may not be perfect but it is far FAR better than Destiny was on release.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    Hahaha what a joke of an article.

Take the fanboi blinders off.

Destiny had just as much if not more content at launch, Destiny had PLENTY of story at launch, actually had more cutscenes than Division has too.

Destiny had mysterious, unexplained characters, Division has card board cutouts of every stereotype character in any New York or Military whatever game. They have about as much depth as a thimble.

I've put 50+ hours into Division, level 30 for a while now, full purple and a few really nice high-end (yellow) gears, done hard and challenge mode missions, spent some good time in the DZ.

Story? What story? There is literally about 5 minutes of cutscenes in the Division, the rest is all told through audio logs, video logs, echos, etc.

The only thing Division has on Destiny in terms of story is that all of that extra story stuff is accessible in game, versus in Destiny where the bulk of the extra-story is in the Grimoire on their website.

And saying Division is already better than Destiny? HAH!

Apparently you don't know that Destiny has released dozens of updates and has had two small DLC and one large expansion that significantly expanded and improved on the game, and there is another new (and free) DLC coming in a few weeks.

Division is fun, and interesting, and it some ways similar to Destiny, but in a lot of ways COMPLETELY different.

It's not quite comparing apples to oranges, but it is not apples to apples.

Also, if you have only put 15 hours into Division, you are 99% most likely not at level 30 yet, or really started to get into the "end game."

What a joke of an article!

Put in another 15-20 hours, actually pick up Destiny and play it again sometime (I'd recommend starting a new Guardian to experience all of the great story from the beginning.)

Then, come back (with some journalistic talent and integrity) and try again.
  • KrynKryn Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Destiny lasted me a month.  I didn't even waste a breath on The Division.  I am not sorry for either.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I agree with the article though.  Destiny bored me to tears, with the only lasting appeal being the arena.  Nightfalls were tough to group up for at launch and a lot of groups couldn't finish them despite them being pretty simple.

I've played The Division more in the past 3 weeks than I played in the past year of destiny.  I spend a lot of time in the Dark Zone, and have in each bracket over the course of of leveling up my different characters.

I have full level 31 gear that I'm still constantly working to get perfect rolls for. Waiting patiently for them to update the vendors... and challenging missions get less challenging as I continue to get the gear I want.  The DZ is much more fun than anything I've ever done in Destiny, and in just a couple weeks the first Incursion will hit - and the possibility of gear sets will hit.  Not to mention more content added every month.  

• SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I havent played Destiny and like Division, however I always thought being based on reality would make the ai encounters harder to be interesting. I saw a couple Destiny streams where the bosses are huge and various enemies have powers. I appreciate some of the animations when you hit the weak spots but how interesting can the "raid" bosses be in Division? Next we fight a tank or jet, where we have to activate turrets/pick up rocket launchers? Just doesn't seem as cool as some of the sci fi/fantasy games.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Soarlozer said:
    I havent played Destiny and like Division, however I always thought being based on reality would make the ai encounters harder to be interesting. I saw a couple Destiny streams where the bosses are huge and various enemies have powers. I appreciate some of the animations when you hit the weak spots but how interesting can the "raid" bosses be in Division? Next we fight a tank or jet, where we have to activate turrets/pick up rocket launchers? Just doesn't seem as cool as some of the sci fi/fantasy games.
    I can understand that idea. The encounters are somewhat similar despite, in my opinion, the division being substantially tougher.  I don't know what they can do to really depart from that right now.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Sounds like the Division is forced co-op.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Well, The Division is on PC, while Destiny is only on consoles, so The Division is already better than Destiny for me for that fact alone.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    heerobya said:

Destiny had just as much if not more content at launch, Destiny had PLENTY of story at launch, actually had more cutscenes than Division has too.

Destiny had mysterious, unexplained characters, Division has card board cutouts of every stereotype character in any New York or Military whatever game. They have about as much depth as a thimble.

I've put 50+ hours into Division, level 30 for a while now, full purple and a few really nice high-end (yellow) gears, done hard and challenge mode missions, spent some good time in the DZ.

Story? What story? There is literally about 5 minutes of cutscenes in the Division, the rest is all told through audio logs, video logs, echos, etc.

The only thing Division has on Destiny in terms of story is that all of that extra story stuff is accessible in game, versus in Destiny where the bulk of the extra-story is in the Grimoire on their website.

Apparently you don't know that Destiny has released dozens of updates and has had two small DLC and one large expansion that significantly expanded and improved on the game, and there is another new (and free) DLC coming in a few weeks.

Division is fun, and interesting, and it some ways similar to Destiny, but in a lot of ways COMPLETELY different.

Also, if you have only put 15 hours into Division, you are 99% most likely not at level 30 yet, or really started to get into the "end game."

What a joke of an article!

Put in another 15-20 hours, actually pick up Destiny and play it again sometime (I'd recommend starting a new Guardian to experience all of the great story from the beginning.)

says the guy with a Destiny logo as his avatar...o k.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The division open beta was already better than Destiny including Taken King, but the similarities between the two games are a much bigger con than the differences being pros. IMO.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Only the challenge mode missions, everything else I soloed including hard mode missions.  dark zone is soloable but you will gain ranks faster in group because you will kill faster and be safer.
  • MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178
    handheld said:

psiic said:

See now i disagree with you.

Destiny on release was atrocious. Was it fun? Sure. But it had zero staying power at release. Even worse was the highly unfavorable way they had requirements for the harder content. Want to do a raid? Well here is your minimum light level oh and btw to get that minimum light level you need to farm the harder content which btw if your light level wasn't high enough you would get easily stomped in OH NOT TO MENTION those drops are all random and incredibly rare.

Destiny's biggest Issue at launch was that its hardest endgame content was gated by needing higher end equipment which you could only get through doing said high end content and since there is no matchmaking you had to hope to find a group doing it. On top of that even if you did that high end content you were not guaranteed to get a piece of gear to help you do said high end content and could easily find something far worse or sometimes nothing at all.

Division while not perfect avoids that by allowing you to craft said gear and also has built in matchmaking. Division may not be perfect but it is far FAR better than Destiny was on release.
    Having played both games, and still currently playing both games, I can say that yes Destiny and The Division have a lot in common. Most likely because Ubisoft tried to catch on the buzz that Destiny has. This happens with every new game trying to capture all the good of the 'current top games' but improving on the bad of the same games.

Destiny's release wasn't atrocious, the servers were up, my group had no issues playing anything we tried to. You want to do hard content in Destiny, yes you needed the gear. You want to do Challenging instances in The Division when you're freshly 30? Guess what? You get your butt kicked, because your gear isn't up to par with what you need in there. I'll give Destiny the win for this one, mostly because if you had the 'Light' needed to enter the raid, you could actually do the raid. With no 'requirements' on Division's 'end game' you want in with your team of 4 and get obliterated by charging shotgun arsehats. Sure apparently after the recent patch this is better but I haven't gone in yet.

So both The Division and Destiny, are gated for their endgame content by the same 'gear level' issues. Destiny just tells you it is there while Division lets you get gunned down to 'teach you a lesson'. I will say points for Division for the matchmaking, but so far Division 'endgame' just seems to be a gun-fest with little or no strategy. While Destiny end game does take a little strategy and group communication.

As for crafting the gear you need for end game. Sure, you can craft the exoti...err I mean 'top end' (yellow) guns. After you spend time gathering coins to be able to purchase the patterns. Or, you could spend days grinding in the Dark Zone, to level up your DZ level, to be able to purchase the same patterns with DZ credits. The difference between the two here is that in Destiny, if I want to go grind for gear, I can do it on my own time, solo. You try going into dark zone solo to get gear, see how well THAT turns out.

So, yes both games have their flaws. Both even had their loot caves, though Division got theirs fixed a lot sooner...(RIP Bullet King! We miss you!) Which game is better? They each have their draws and are both good games.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Lol this is great, when was the last time the author played Destiny? Beta? Totally off the grid with this verdict, not even close... the division is a shell of a game today.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    This is whole Division vs Destiny thing is stupid, its like saying Gears of War vs Halo, both games are good imo.
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited March 2016
    How the article writer is feeling right now

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    edited March 2016
    55 hours and im not sure what to do in Division anymore.
    Worth the money, but thats seriously poor playtime for an online game / mmolite

I do hope division will expand though, i hope it doesn't go the way of the crew, theres a nice framework to build upon in division.
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    fanboy now are allowed to write article ??!! and call it new ??

well im happy for you OP that you like the division more, but you need give proof that it better, sondage, fact ect

i mean if you like the division better, you cant make a new and call it that BETTER

people got taste and can disagree with you, and here i am, i disagree with you

destiny was more fun for me and lasted alot more time !!
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    edited March 2016

heerobya said:

This is just flat out untrue. The amount of story *in the game* was absolutely minimal and borderline non-sensical, an assertion which is supported by insider reports that huge portions of the game were cut pre-launch.

heerobya said:

Destiny had mysterious, unexplained characters, Division has card board cutouts of every stereotype character in any New York or Military whatever game. They have about as much depth as a thimble. ... Story? What story? There is literally about 5 minutes of cutscenes in the Division, the rest is all told through audio logs, video logs, echos, etc.
    Destiny's characters were mysterious because the game never bothered to expand upon them. At all. Putting the story on an outside website guarantees most players would never look at it. That is the definition of bad storytelling in a video game and is absolutely unacceptable. That is a poor solution for flat out *not* telling the story in the game. Don't defend Bungie when they failed at something even mediocre studios do better.
    I'll say it again: NOT telling your story in the actual game is not okay.

heerobya said:

Destiny is definitely a better game now than it was at launch. Every expansion has made the game better and The Taken King immensely so. But don't kid yourself. There is a reason people were saying the vanilla game and handful of early expansions were the beta for The Taken King. That's because the original game felt largely unfinished, even if the core mechanics were fun. Listen, I'm not hating on Destiny. I bought it at launch, own all of the expansions, and really enjoy it. But if you're saying the game was anywhere near its pre-launch promise at launch, you're should take your own advice about taking the fan-boi blinders off.

heerobya said:

There we can agree.

heerobya said:

Also, if you have only put 15 hours into Division, you are 99% most likely not at level 30 yet, or really started to get into the "end game."... What a joke of an article!

Two things. Yes, I am not at the level cap. I don't need to be to form an opinion about what I have experienced so far. And actually, I have replayed Destiny as recent as when The Taking King launched and the only thing they changed about the story is replacing Peter Dinklage as Ghost. Nothing will change the chop shop job they did on the main story content there short of completely re-doing pre-Taken King and they're not going to do that.

Second, I think you might be confused about the difference between journalism and editorial. This article is an opinion piece, not a report. Yet, for all that, I've actually played the same Destiny you're talking about and still disagree. Sorry, but I've found the fun in both games and simply think that The Division is out of the gate going toe to toe with Destiny in many ways. Not all; see page two. But given the same amount of development time, I certainly think The Division could become the better game.

You may disagree, and that's your right, but you might want to keep it in perspective. You're commenting on an opinion piece. There's no need for personal attacks against *anyone* here.
    Post edited by GameByNight on
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

55 hours and im not sure what to do in Division anymore.
    Worth the money, but thats seriously poor playtime for an online game / mmolite

I do hope division will expand though, i hope it doesn't go the way of the crew, theres a nice framework to build upon in division.

They really should have launched with Incursions (raids). I think a lot of people are winding up where you are currently.

How the article writer is feeling right now

Hah. Not quite :-) I don't publish what I don't stand behind. Destiny was a let down at launch and didn't live up to its promise until over a year later. The Division is fun, with more variety in the leveling process. My opinion may change with the level cap content -- Destiny is currently better, for sure -- but we'll see.
  • ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Sounds like the raids in WoW are forced co-op.

When in doubt, troll.

edited March 2016
    [Deleted - double post]