Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most gamers Not Interested in VR in 2016?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Sovrath said:
    For me it's not price, I"m just not interested.

I don't even like wearing a headset for teamspeak. Can't stand it.

I'm in the same boat. In addition to headsets driving me up a wall, I also can't stand the 3D glasses, even the light ones - and I'm in the unfortunate group that has to wear glasses, so to me it's an even bigger pain. I have 0 interest in wearing all of that VR gear.

Can we all just skip this phase of the tech evolution and go straight to holos? Or how about some better/more evolved peripherals?
    I am willing to bet that on average the number of people who have discomforts where baseball hats to the point that it impedes their interest in VR is likely statistically rather low...

just sayi

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I'm actually very interested in VR.  I was very athletic in my teens, 20s and 30s, played baseball in high school and the Marine Corps, lots of mountain climbing, long distance swimming, etc...

One bout of cancer that required a 20 inch (50cm) incision and removal of an organ, failure of a couple of minor organs, and now I can barely work, much less climb mountains.  One of those organ failures led to me gaining 60 pounds of weight.  Once the problem was solved, I quit gaining, but losing that weight has been very tough.

The point is, I feel like a shadow of what I used to be, and I see VR as a way to regain some of what I lost.  It is nowhere near ready for that yet, but I can see the day coming when I can do a lot of the stuff that was taken away from me again.

Will they come up with Sword Art Online level VR in the next few years?  Likely not, but it would feel really good to be able to compete at a high level in ANYTHING again, with a reasonable level of VR assistance.

So yeah, that's why I'm very, very interested in VR.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    VR seemed pretty cool in the 80's. now not so much.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Rockinw311Rockinw311 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

I'm in the same boat. In addition to headsets driving me up a wall, I also can't stand the 3D glasses, even the light ones - and I'm in the unfortunate group that has to wear glasses, so to me it's an even bigger pain. I have 0 interest in wearing all of that VR gear.

Can we all just skip this phase of the tech evolution and go straight to holos? Or how about some better/more evolved peripherals?
    I am willing to bet that on average the number of people who have discomforts where baseball hats to the point that it impedes their interest in VR is likely statistically rather low...

just sayi
    tried reading that a couple times, but not following what you're trying to say
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

just sayi
    1. people who are uncomfortable wearing hats
    2. people who are uncomfortable wearing hats so much so that they are not interested in VR

3. is likely

4. not statistically a lot of people

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

just sayi
    1. people who are uncomfortable wearing hats
    2. people who are uncomfortable wearing hats so much so that they are not interested in VR

3. is likely

4. not statistically a lot of people
    what are these hats you refer to? why are they uncomfortable? maybe they can find a hat with different lining/padding/etc.?
    edited March 2016

what are these hats you refer to? why are they uncomfortable? maybe they can find a hat with different lining/padding/etc.?
    ah..my bad.

my hat reference although extreemly similar to yours was realted to a different conversation that went like this:

me: 'CV1 has been described as about as intrusive on your head as a baseball cap'

poster: 'baseball caps make me uncomfortable and so does the idea of wearing a VRZ headset'

(disclaimer: everything is paraphrased)

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I just want to get plugged into the matrix already.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    ... .. . 

... .. .
    ... .. .

I am at a loss of words... So the realisation of that thing that was cool.... bu so much better then they could ever realistically imagine... Is not cool. 

Man you are so edgy that you have a line of goth emos following you just waiting to get cut... 

This have been a good conversation

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    VR is pretty much the antithesis of what I want out of gaming. I don't want experiences that push immersion that far. I'm sure there is a sizable audience that just doesn't want to be immersed as much as tech companies think they do. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

pantheron said:
    VR is pretty much the antithesis of what I want out of gaming. I don't want experiences that push immersion that far. I'm sure there is a sizable audience that just doesn't want to be immersed as much as tech companies think they do. 
    TOTALLY what i want...ha!
    not discounting what you are saying I am just illustrating the difference in gamers.
    immersiion is why I buy large monitors, steering wheels, flight sticks

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    tawess said:
    ... .. . 

... .. .
    ... .. .

I am at a loss of words... So the realisation of that thing that was cool.... bu so much better then they could ever realistically imagine... Is not cool. 

Man you are so edgy that you have a line of goth emos following you just waiting to get cut... 

perception of things changes with time... that edgy enough for ya?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    gamers used to be an innovative crowd. I dont think they are anymore, maybe developers and the industry itself can be but gamers are no longer innovators or early adopters.
    Many gamers who are gamers for many years or even decades simply were early adopters many times and know what being early adopter is associated with. It is not just rainbows and champagne ;p

With experience and age sometimes comes cooler head.  It is not lack of interest in new things, rather  it is conscious decision of letting others be guinea pigs, taking risk, cost, etc    Just looking for your own self interest :)
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

perception of things changes with time... that edgy enough for ya?

True... Soooooo catch you on the flip-side? 

This have been a good conversation

SEANMCAD said:

ah..my bad.

my hat reference although extreemly similar to yours was realted to a different conversation that went like this:

me: 'CV1 has been described as about as intrusive on your head as a baseball cap'

poster: 'baseball caps make me uncomfortable and so does the idea of wearing a VRZ headset'

(disclaimer: everything is paraphrased)
    Ah, that helps fill in the gap I was missing

I can't speak for others or about what chunk of people might have issues wearing this type of stuff. I can only speak for myself.

I mentioned I wear 'normal' glasses. If I could get by without wearing those, I would. They bother my nose/sinuses/ears/etc.. I try to get by without wearing them whenever I can

Then, when you wear stuff like 3D glasses on top of that, even the light ones, it makes those issues worse, and even the light ones that sit almost flush against the regular glasses, they still have visibility issues. The big "bulky" ones at the movie theater are even worse for me

Mixing in something like a semi decent set of headphones/mic adds to the poor experience for me, between the weight and lack of breathability. Like @Sovrath, I don't even like wearing headphones by themselves for stuff like voice chat.

Now for the VR sets, thinking of mixing stuff similar to that all together in a decent quality VR set just isn't for me, even if it wears more like a heavier ball cap (and trying to figure out how to fit my normal glasses in that setup) with kind of "earmuffs" or something for quality headset speakers.

And that's fine. I'm just not in their target customer base. I'm good skipping this stage of tech evolution until the tech gets closer to something like holo (I joked about it in my original post, but I would LOVE to see that tech evolve before I die). And for those that are into the VR wave (however large that wave may be, and for however long), I wish them all the warm fuzzy bunnies in their experience!
    Sulaa said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    gamers used to be an innovative crowd. I dont think they are anymore, maybe developers and the industry itself can be but gamers are no longer innovators or early adopters.
    Many gamers who are gamers for many years or even decades simply were early adopters many times and know what being early adopter is associated with. It is not just rainbows and champagne ;p

With experience and age sometimes comes cooler head.  It is not lack of interest in new things, rather  it is conscious decision of letting others be guinea pigs, taking risk, cost, etc    Just looking for your own self interest :)
    yeah but here is the thing.

its usually NOT just rainbows and champage.

I dont regret ever buying the latest video card, the larger monitor, the faster computer, the better game. 

edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

I dont regret ever buying the latest video card, the larger monitor, the faster computer, the better game. 
    Yeah it is often not.  That's what I wrote in my previous post after all :)

Diffrent things.    You know exactly what to expect from bigger monitor or stronger graphic card.   Benefits are tangible and immedietaly available.

VR is like 3d (tech which had great success and great defeat at same time) or new types of controllers popuar in late 90&00s.  

So bad example imho.   Buying new GPU early and buying today VR is very diffrent type of early adoption.
    edited March 2016
    Sulaa said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Diffrent things.    You know exactly what to expect from bigger monitor or stronger graphic card.   Benefits are tangible and immedietaly available.

VR is like 3d or new types of controllers popuar in late 90&00s.  

So bad example imho.   Buying new GPU early and buying VR is very diffrent type of early adoption.
    I have been approaching my gaming hardware purchases like this since 1988. math co-processor? will it work"? its new, not sure..BOUGHT IT
    modem? not even sure what it does..BOUGHT IT
    etc etc etc etc

SEANMCAD said:
    Sulaa said:
    SEANMCAD said:

So bad example imho.   Buying new GPU early and buying VR is very diffrent type of early adoption.
    I have been approaching my gaming hardware purchases like this since 1988. math co-processor? will it work"? its new, not sure..BOUGHT IT
    etc etc etc etc

If that float your boat.  Some other early adopters are not like that.  I was early adopter too, but I was much more selective. Things I was convinced I wanted I did buy early, others I've passed.   "Newness" by itself is not enough and it never was.
    Sulaa said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sulaa said:
    SEANMCAD said:

etc etc etc etc

If that float your boat.  Some other early adopters are not like that.  I was early adopter too, but I was much more selective. Things I was convinced I wanted I did buy early, others I've passed.   "Newness" by itself is not enough and it never was.
    ok...no sure how to respond to that so ...ok

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    The tech is new and expensive as sh*t.  give it a few years with better games, hardware support and more accessible specs to run it.  they will come.
    I had a dev mk on loan.

- I want VR.
    - it is too damn expensive atm
    - I would need to upgrade my cpu
    - VR will not be something ppl will upgrade every year
    - every year we will see better VR goggles for flagship prices
    - Many games are not optimized yet for VR or do not offer the resolution I seek

I can wait for 1-2y and get one then, IF the game I really want to play in HD resolution is available.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Muke said:
    The tech is new and expensive as sh*t.  give it a few years with better games, hardware support and more accessible specs to run it.  they will come.
    I had a dev mk on loan.

- I want VR.
    - it is too damn expensive atm
    - I would need to upgrade my cpu
    - VR will not be something ppl will upgrade every year
    - every year we will see better VR goggles for flagship prices
    - Many games are not optimized yet for VR or do not offer the resolution I seek

I can wait for 1-2y and get one then, IF the game I really want to play in HD resolution is available.

there was once a time and I think it covered more than a decade where the average lifespan of a PC before upgrading the entire thing was 3 years. 
    Video card was 1 1/2 years.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I have zero interest in it. I like watching TV and talking to family while I game.
    Thorkune said:
    I have zero interest in it. I like watching TV and talking to family while I game.
    speaking of TV that is currently what I am most looking forward to.
    Kick back in bed with my sore back flat and face to the wall with what is basically a 60 foot theater screen in front of me watching a movie.

yup

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    100% uninteresting gimmik.