Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Fly Week until march 20

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Ah I see you are ignorant of CIG and SC's history.   You should really do just a little bit of research before talking dribble.   It will do you some good to do some reading.  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen  
    The date you quote was obsolete at the end of 2012. It keeps being quoted for years now, as futile as it is.

Have fun
  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    edited March 2016
    Erillion said:
    Ah I see you are ignorant of CIG and SC's history.   You should really do just a little bit of research before talking dribble.   It will do you some good to do some reading.  

The date you quote was obsolete at the end of 2012. It keeps being quoted for years now, as futile as it is.

Have fun
    Nope, but you can keep trying to change history if you want too.  After all that's what CR and CIG do all the time.  Just like you were trying to change when the project started, hahahaha.    
  • randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220
    Some people don't understand that the project has grown and grown and so it takes longer than originally planned to make. How anyone could have an issue with this is surprising.   You know that no AAA title is ever made this fast though?  If it had been done last year it would have been in a terrible state with not enough standard development time.

Meanwhile they said today that the single player part of the game (the original concept perhaps) will possibly be done before Chrismas. Seems more than reasonable.

Patience! The world needs more patience. How did we get into this instant-gratification mindframe as a society?

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    randomt said:
    Some people don't understand that the project has grown and grown and so it takes longer than originally planned to make. How anyone could have an issue with this is surprising.   You know that no AAA title is ever made this fast though?  If it had been done last year it would have been in a terrible state with not enough standard development time.

Meanwhile they said today that the single player part of the game (the original concept perhaps) will possibly be done before Chrismas. Seems more than reasonable.

Patience! The world needs more patience. How did we get into this instant-gratification mindframe as a society?

Perhaps CR shouldn't go around stating that the stretch goals would never impact the release date of the game, or throw out dates and hype features that he will just cancel after he's collected more backer money. The lack of patience comes from the head honcho either not knowing how his game is coming along or just outright lying in order to bring in more money.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Kefo said:

Perhaps CR shouldn't go around stating that the stretch goals would never impact the release date of the game, or throw out dates and hype features that he will just cancel after he's collected more backer money. The lack of patience comes from the head honcho either not knowing how his game is coming along or just outright lying in order to bring in more money.
    You can quote truths and citations a million times to these people, man. They think it's clever and funny. Tomorrow Erillion will be linking AtV like it's gospel, I could link 50 AtV quotes that panned out as complete falsehoods, dodges or unfulfilled "whatever passes for a promise" around that place, and he'd just LoL.

There needs to be some truth around here with all the CIG link spam. They can fight it if they want, it's gonna come out.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Jesus guys, where did the bad man touch you?

Free weekend. Stop listening to the bitter drivel a few individuals churn out daily and just try it out if you are interested and make up your own mind.  
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    edited March 2016
    I'm confused, is the game in beta now? as only a mad man would ever release an alpha copy to the general public?
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
    vorpal28 said:
    I'm confused, is the game in beta now? as only a mad man would ever release an alpha copy to the general public?
    This is a Kickstarter game, so yes, the backers who want help test the Alpha build.

Its not a feature complete Alpha yet.

Its not in Beta.

Have fun
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    edited March 2016
    vorpal28 said:
    They call it alpha, but it looks more like a concept demo to me. Go check it out PLEASE, free this week. Then come back tell me if you really think it can be called a game let alone alpha.

Oh and a concept demo is what you show to investors to try and get cash to pay to make the game.

Also use a new email you can ignore, some believe they sell email addresses to spammers.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    randomt said:

Coincidentally, the decrease in patience is directly related to the rise in technology and convenience! The internet, bringing you instant gratification while simultaneously allowing you to complain (instantly) if you don't get something right away.
  • TeshiKOTeshiKO Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I thought I would post about my experience with the fly free time. I downloaded and tried - I use that term lightly - the game. This is how it went.

Go to RSI. Log in and download the client. This part was easy. Start script, no I didn't mistype that, it's a dos script. Script checks to see if a new script is needed. If so, replace current one and rerun. Then test to see if a new patcher is needed. Then finally run the patcher. Yes, they're using a dos script as an updater for their patcher and dos script that is used to run the game because this is the 90's.

But enough about that. A Single 28GB download later and I'm in the main menu. It looks good. Of the available options 'Universe' and 'Electronic Access' seem to be the most likely to start the game. I'm not sure why these names were picked but whatever. Hit Universe and i'm presented with two options that I don't quite remember the names of, but one was Ark and the other was Crusader. So I pick Crusader and hit connect. Wait about 20 minutes and then get told I was kicked by the server. So hey, maybe it's a thing with the server. I'll try Ark. Same thing.

No big deal, let's try electronic access. Presented with an option for Squadron 47 and Arena Commander. Click Arena Commander. I'll do pilot training. Wait another 15 minutes to get into a black room with what appears to be a shit ton of mist, some guy with no features and a fogged up helmet. Wait 15 more minutes, helmet no longer fogged over, can now move forward. Go forward, guy starts talking, ship of some kind, mostly just a black blob with flashing green lights, starts moving to a landing pad. Guy has stopped talking, ship still moving but I can't move. Stuck like this. Quit game. 

Decide this isn't worth it, go to uninstall game. Uninstaller removes the patcher and dos script but leaves the 28GB in game files. Why? Because reasons. Delete the 28GB because I wanted it uninstalled, not left. What kind of uninstaller leaves 99% of the game behind?

Also, if you're wondering, for what should be an online game, it loads everything from the HDD, so I hope you have an SDD, because you'll need one. At one point it had read 10GB into RAM from the HDD. So yeah. Now I know not to give them any money, because that was the most annoying 2 hours of my life.
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    TeshiKO said:
    I thought I would post about my experience with the fly free time. I downloaded and tried - I use that term lightly - the game. This is how it went.

Go to RSI. Log in and download the client. This part was easy. Start script, no I didn't mistype that, it's a dos script. Script checks to see if a new script is needed. If so, replace current one and rerun. Then test to see if a new patcher is needed. Then finally run the patcher. Yes, they're using a dos script as an updater for their patcher and dos script that is used to run the game because this is the 90's.

But enough about that. A Single 28GB download later and I'm in the main menu. It looks good. Of the available options 'Universe' and 'Electronic Access' seem to be the most likely to start the game. I'm not sure why these names were picked but whatever. Hit Universe and i'm presented with two options that I don't quite remember the names of, but one was Ark and the other was Crusader. So I pick Crusader and hit connect. Wait about 20 minutes and then get told I was kicked by the server. So hey, maybe it's a thing with the server. I'll try Ark. Same thing.

No big deal, let's try electronic access. Presented with an option for Squadron 47 and Arena Commander. Click Arena Commander. I'll do pilot training. Wait another 15 minutes to get into a black room with what appears to be a shit ton of mist, some guy with no features and a fogged up helmet. Wait 15 more minutes, helmet no longer fogged over, can now move forward. Go forward, guy starts talking, ship of some kind, mostly just a black blob with flashing green lights, starts moving to a landing pad. Guy has stopped talking, ship still moving but I can't move. Stuck like this. Quit game. 

Decide this isn't worth it, go to uninstall game. Uninstaller removes the patcher and dos script but leaves the 28GB in game files. Why? Because reasons. Delete the 28GB because I wanted it uninstalled, not left. What kind of uninstaller leaves 99% of the game behind?

Also, if you're wondering, for what should be an online game, it loads everything from the HDD, so I hope you have an SDD, because you'll need one. At one point it had read 10GB into RAM from the HDD. So yeah. Now I know not to give them any money, because that was the most annoying 2 hours of my life.
    I played the last free fly event... well semi-played. Atleast  I got into a ship though. What a laggy, buggy piece of garbage. There was like 1 other person that I saw running around so it wasn't like it was crowded.

I too was left with pretty much all the game files after uninstalling.

Money well spent backers!!! Atleast Roberts got alot of nice offices out of the backers money.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    randomt said:
    laserit said:
    I'm a $60 Kickstarter backer.

I don't want to fuck around with an Alpha, it's hard enough finding the time to play  some really good finished games I have in my catalogue. Personally, I'll wait for release if and when that happens.
    I imagine this is the case for many a backer.. they just wanted to get their "pre-order bonus" so to speak, and then they will come back when the game is in Beta or something..

100% what I am doing.  I have burnt myself out on games before they even release before.  Sad I know. . am slowly getting better ;)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

You could watch people play the Free Fly Week and judge for yourself (3 part series, testing various ships):

or for those with less time, here is a shorter overview from another gamer.

Have fun

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    Brenics said:
    vorpal28 said:
    They call it alpha, but it looks more like a concept demo to me. Go check it out PLEASE, free this week. Then come back tell me if you really think it can be called a game let alone alpha.

Oh and a concept demo is what you show to investors to try and get cash to pay to make the game.

Also use a new email you can ignore, some believe they sell email addresses to spammers.
     So would you say Camelot Unchained wasn't an alpha either? Because in their alpha we weren't even playing classes that will be in the game, they are just placeholder classes with abilities that will be spread out between the actual classes we will start to see in beta. Alpha is usually a test of the engine and physics of the game, making sure the core of the game is good enough for larger scale play. After those tests they can make changes to the code to allow things to smooth out performance wise. 

The massive publisher companies have turned alphas and betas into ways to charge for early access to master game systems before they launch. SC alpha and CU alpha are actually testing the game they are making. 
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    edited March 2016
    Realizer said:
    Brenics said:
    vorpal28 said:

So would you say Camelot Unchained wasn't an alpha either? Because in their alpha we weren't even playing classes that will be in the game, they are just placeholder classes with abilities that will be spread out between the actual classes we will start to see in beta. Alpha is usually a test of the engine and physics of the game, making sure the core of the game is good enough for larger scale play. After those tests they can make changes to the code to allow things to smooth out performance wise. 

The massive publisher companies have turned alphas and betas into ways to charge for early access to master game systems before they launch. SC alpha and CU alpha are actually testing the game they are making. 
    Please stop comparing CIG, SC, Croberts to CSE, CU, Mark Jacobs.

The two companies,games,people are nothing alike and the comparison is incredibly disrespectful towards the latter.

..Cake..

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    sgel said:
    Realizer said:
    Brenics said:
    vorpal28 said:

The two companies,games,people are nothing alike and the comparison is incredibly disrespectful towards the latter.

I'm talking about an alpha stage, and the people above that expect alphas to be finished products, instead of the test beds they were designed to be.
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    ok tried it, and wow they have a long way to go before thats anywhere near playable, tbh I'd say there's at least 2 years dev time left before that see's the light of day.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Realizer said:
    sgel said:
    Realizer said:
    Brenics said:
    vorpal28 said:

I'm talking about an alpha stage, and the people above that expect alphas to be finished products, instead of the test beds they were designed to be.
    No one expects that, its just hyperbole created in order to dismiss any criticism.  
  • dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Brenics said:
    vorpal28 said:

It's not alpha. It's not pre-alpha. It's a tech  demo. Here's why

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/alpha_version

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

dsmart said:
    Thank you for posting links that have been posted here about two dozen times before.

What you were looking for is this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_demonstration

Have fun

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Nope, but you can keep trying to change history if you want too.  After all that's what CR and CIG do all the time.  Just like you were trying to change when the project started, hahahaha.    
    The only one trying to twist facts and reality here is you.

The date on that KS page became obsolete the moment SC / SQ42 transitioned to it's own, on site, crowdfunding and we backers gave CR the go ahead to start adding features via funding milestones.

In other words, the project shown on that KS page has very little in common both in scope and complexity with the project being developed today.

But you already knew that.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Erillion said:
    dsmart said:
    Thank you for posting links that have been posted here about two dozen times before.

What you were looking for is this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_demonstration

Have fun

OH lookie they made a page special just for SC. Can't believe how they try and make some sense to a game Roberts is making. 

Starting to believe this month has started the break down and destruction of another company(s) created by Roberts.

Really getting excited to hear even more from people that worked there and the real truth to hit the backers and the rest of us with the truth! 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    You guys are all in the kitchen biting chunks out of the potatoes complaining that the chef is crap because the food is raw and nothing like a roast diner.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Rusque said:
    randomt said:

Coincidentally, the decrease in patience is directly related to the rise in technology and convenience! The internet, bringing you instant gratification while simultaneously allowing you to complain (instantly) if you don't get something right away.
    Not just the internet.  Instant gratification started with fast food joints and instant coco.  :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey