Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I finally accepted the fact

n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
edited March 2016 in Black Desert Online
Yes, BDO is a p2w game. First you need to buy the game for 30 bucks minimum (cha ching!) Then you need:

- ghillie suit because trying to go somewhere outside the town is a respawn minigame,  30 buck, (cha ching!)
- pets are gained only from cash shop and now they give you with exchange all kind of exp bonuses (they already have loot pickup, enemy detection ... ) 24 bucks  (cha ching!)
- gear customization is available only from a cash shop (which is not so problematic if it was the only issue) (30 per costume)  (cha ching!)

You can bend over backward trying to explain, why stuff like this is not an advantage (apart from costumes) gained only from a cash shop but the truth is that you are either intellectually dishonest or you just don't know what p2w means. Actually it is pretty simple: you buy something that gives you advantage over other players. :)

Funny thing is that when the publisher is asked why the game has no gear customization they answer with: "Uh oh, guys please understand. We need to earn money in one way or another." Lmao, you force people to first buy the game, then limit the gameplay to a level that they need to buy tons of additional stuff just to not be penalized and you poor guys just cant find a way to earn money. They are such givers not a company, that Daum  =)

They didn't waited a month to show their true colours.

p.s To people that white knighted the exp gain on  costumes. Well munchkins now with pets it is 19% and I am pretty sure they will give additional bonuses to cha-ching users. Just wait a mon.. ahem week or so.

Comments

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    This should be good...
  • strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630
    edited March 2016
    Someone was forced to buy the game... after reading that you definitely signaled you have no ground to stand on... [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    edited March 2016
    Light the beacons, the world is ending.

[mod edit] This isn't anymore P2W than Guild Wars 2 was. Stop overreacting.
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    edited March 2016
    then why are u posting, shouldnt u be moving on, if u think it's p2w then just leave the forums world is not gonna change for u tho...,[mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Aren't all those things tradeable via the broker? If it is then your point is moot.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    edited March 2016
    Aren't all those things tradeable via the broker? If it is then your point is moot.
    nope
    Elminzter said:
    then why are u posting, shouldnt u be moving on, if u think it's p2w then just leave the forums world is not gonna change for u tho...[mod edit]
    why are you responding? Why am I responding? shit

Post edited by Vaross on
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
    ArChWind said:
    nope
    Wow, the EU/NA version is worse than I thought. How greedy and discriminating can Daum be?
    ArChWind said:
    nope
    Wow, the EU/NA version is worse than I thought. How greedy and discriminating can Daum be?
    Some but the items are not really P2W by many others so it is irrelevant to the whole thread.

Like the ghillie suit - It gives you extra 300LT, means to hide your name and guild so it really not much pay to win. I mean 300LT is only 30 levels of str and it can be done in about 200 hours of running trade packs. Of course there is the keyboard rubber band trick to make that afk so I don't see a problem with it. Do you?

The pets are kind of just a bit easier to grab loot and boost experience and recovered karma if you get to trigger happy. You can spend 1900 bucks on inventory expansions it really not a problem with the ghillie suit to add that extra carry weight. Besides all calculations in combat are based on weight so it probably not wise to add to many slots and get over encumbered. :)

Then there is ET to always instant rez in case you die and not have any experience loss. If you miss 'v' you can always get a second chance to get away.

of course non of this is P2W it is just convince.

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    ArChWind said:
    ArChWind said:
    nope
    Some but the items are not really P2W by many others so it is irrelevant to the whole thread.

Like the ghillie suit - It gives you extra 300LT, means to hide your name and guild so it really not much pay to win. I mean 300LT is only 30 levels of str and it can be done in about 200 hours of running trade packs. Of course there is the keyboard rubber band trick to make that afk so I don't see a problem with it. Do you?

The pets are kind of just a bit easier to grab loot and boost experience and recovered karma if you get to trigger happy. You can spend 1900 bucks on inventory expansions it really not a problem with the ghillie suit to add that extra carry weight. Besides all calculations in combat are based on weight so it probably not wise to add to many slots and get over encumbered. :)

Then there is ET to always instant rez in case you die and not have any experience loss. If you miss 'v' you can always get a second chance to get away.

Just FYI, the Ghillie suit does not give 300LT weight. Not as far as I know or as any of the ingame tool tips indicate.
    edited March 2016
    ArChWind said:
    ArChWind said:
    nope

On KR 300 LT is actually quite a lot, since each level of str gives 2 (and then 1 after level 10, not sure if it goes down again some point after that) points of LT, so 300LT would be at least 290 points of str which would take forever to train...

As for pets they are mostly for looting since most people are lazy to pick up themselves. The bonus exp and whatnot are really useless on KR since leveling is not an issue. Some people would even refrain from overleveling as they want to farm a specific type of mob and overleveling would reduce the drop rate.

The only things worth buying are the inventory space which is not tradeable via broker, and the many costumes. The former is good to have though non-cash shop players do also get decent space just from quest rewards alone. The later is of course for eye candy, the default costume for sorceress makes her look like a hobo for crying out loud. The good thing is that most of those stuff are tradeable via broker, costumes, pets, even certain consumables.

Of course the downside is that people can and do make easy silver using that method. A costume set goes for as high as 70+m, which is a decent sum of cash to get one's character going. But then again, the tax is around 30% and the gears are really expensive, the best ones cost around 2-6 billion silvers.
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    You act like these costumes, pets, and game mechanics came out of nowhere. The game has been out for almost 2 years now. Do some research before you buy. And stop with the stupid notion the Ghillie is p2w.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    costumes are p2w and the only way to customize?  Hmm I have a costume house that I can make quite a few different styles and its only level 1 so far

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    ArChWind said:
    nope
     Because idiot gold farmers were using stolen credit cards to purchase items with cash and selling the items for cheaper. 

ArChWind said:
    ArChWind said:
    nope

The Ghillie suit adds gathering skill 1+ not LT. Get a clue. You get inventory expansions for just logging in and playing.  Did someone at Daum kick your dog too? There are ways to take advantage of exp boosts without spending any money as well, and exp boosts don't stop you from becoming powerful they just make it take less time, that's convenience not over powered. Over powered is if I could spend $1k like Archeage and buy the best gear in the game and be unstoppable.  
  • Talon_DeathravenTalon_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Never again asian games! They start as super awesome revolutionary games but every time i got burned.And eventually people realise that are just money sponge.Don't take my word just check the facts.
    Sorry for the fan boys that are gona rage over this.For the others peace and western games FTW!
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     News flash if you want a game to have continuous development, the company is going to need continuous revenue. If you aren't playing a monthly sub, the game needs a way to make money. Likewise players don't want to spend money on something that doesn't give them any value. Hence small quality of life stats added to some of the items. Non of them are game breaking, and you can survive without them just fine. Why do you care if someone can afford something you can't? You can still achieve the same end results of getting max level without it. 

I will gladly pay for western games that for me at least i fell they treat me with respect.
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Took you so long to figure out a Korean MMO would be pay2win? Live and learn I guess.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Amusing how those who actually play the game never use the cash hop, yet those who don't play but post misinformation all the time claim it's "P2W".
    Could have just posted a bigger pic of your avatar. Pretty much sums up the OP.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• nowrnvrnowrnvr Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I posted something earlier in regards to it being P2W, I totally agree with you... any advantage that is from a cash shop but not available through regular playing is P2W.  

The suit makes players almost invisible in some landscapes and you can't see the person's name.  I think if you have interest in this game test it out yourself cause whats good for one player isn't always good for another and everyone has a different perspective on what is good.   The pets also have buffs that help out players or warn you if someone in pvp is there or give you extra xp / gathering so there is also and advantage there.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Some people will never be happy if they're "forced" to pay for games.

They'll loudly insist that they will be more than happy to spend money on a game if the game is "good enough". Strangely, they'll spend thousands of hours playing games that "are not good enough to pay for" !

If I look at the OP's alleged "essential item" list, then buying the game and all the required "P2W" items costs less than buying a traditional subscription MMO and subbing for 6 months. But then again, subs have been totally rejected because that expense cannot be "justified" (cough)...
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Never again asian games! They start as super awesome revolutionary games but every time i got burned.And eventually people realise that are just money sponge.Don't take my word just check the facts.
    Sorry for the fan boys that are gona rage over this.For the others peace and western games FTW!
    But there is more p2w in most western mmos. For example, GW2 lets you basically just convert cash to gold and has all those xp boosts etc, ESO lets you buy horse upgrades, gear customization, xp boosts, skill lines (vampire/werewolf), WoW lets you buy a fully leveled character, etc.

In addition take a look at some upcoming Western games, some are basically money siphons even before being released selling p2w items for thousands of dollars. Yeah, Western games FTW.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    DMKano said:
    Myrdynn said:
    costumes are p2w and the only way to customize?  Hmm I have a costume house that I can make quite a few different styles and its only level 1 so far

You are mistaken - those are not costumes - but craftable trade sets.

How can you check - easy - costumes DO NOT replace armor - the stuff you have in your "costume house" you have to take your armor to put that on.

So it's not a costume.

Well they are costumes/clothing that boost trading/crafting stats, but more relevantly the OP is in fact incorrect to say that "gear customization is available only from a cash shop".

Btw, from what I can tell the OP plays Tera, which is a game I also like but is far more p2w than BDO so not sure what his/her point is.
    YashaX said:
    But there is more p2w in most western mmos. For example, GW2 lets you basically just convert cash to gold and has all those xp boosts etc, ESO lets you buy horse upgrades, gear customization, xp boosts, skill lines (vampire/werewolf), WoW lets you buy a fully leveled character, etc.

In addition take a look at some upcoming Western games, some are basically money siphons even before being released selling p2w items for thousands of dollars. Yeah, Western games FTW.

I don't think you fully understand what p2w means. In the games that you give as example i can do the same things without pay a single penny only take more time.I don't say BDO have strong p2w system ...but i still dont like it and it is my own opinion of course and i chose not to play it. Peace ✌
    ArChWind said:
    ArChWind said:
    nope

Just FYI, the Ghillie suit does not give 300LT weight. Not as far as I know or as any of the ingame tool tips indicate.
    Yes that was my mistake it was late and I missed the purchase of the LT on top of the suit. Of course you can get 200 LT from loyalty (50 for 3500 loyalty limited to 4 per character) just take you 140 days logging in.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    From what I've seen in the BDO cash shop, I wouldn't call the game P2W...yet.
    But it would be bad business to put strong advantage items in the cash shop straight away.
    First let the players get invested in the game, let them get addicted, then introduce pay to win items.
    People will complain, some will leave but many will stay and buy said items.
    That's how I'd do it if I wanted to maximize profit off a F2P MMO.