Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is BDO too expensive?

holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
edited March 2016 in Black Desert Online
I read a post on reddit that sums up why I haven't bought the game. Read it and let me know if you agree or disagree with his statements. Keep in mind he doesn't mention everything you might want to compete in the game (like the ghillie suit):

"Daum has gone a little overboard with the cash shop. I can't in good conscience recommend this game to anyone any longer because of the entry cost to the game. This is one of the most expensive games I've ever played.

You kill so many creatures per hour that it is not reasonable to loot without multiple cash shop pets. The loot is intentionally designed to be heavy and take up many slots which pushes you into the cash shop to buy inventory and weight increases. Almost no armor has a cosmetic affect, so the only way to change your character appearance is through the cash shop. It is very difficult to get a female horse for breeding, so you are pushed to pay for breeding resets because each female can only be bred once.

The list goes on and on and on. I don't feel the cash shop is supplemental to the game. It does not feel like an optional feature to me. I feel like the cash shop is a requirement to get an enjoyable experience out of this game, and the prices are outrageous."

Comments

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited March 2016
    I won't say that the cash shop is a requirement, as your quoted article claims, but I do feel like the cash shop is overly expensive for what is offered compared to other games. Additionally, the support the game offers just isn't reflected in their pricing; I purchased an item, and never received it. Several days later and I still haven't received a response to my ticket, and I've had similar issues in the past with support.

Overall, its a fantastic buy for $30, but I wouldn't really put any more into it than that; nothing past that is really required, either.
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    Here is a tip, you see a game with a cash shop, don't buy it and don't play it.  It's not worth it and it will be dead in the near future.  Wait for the real deal, it will be worth it.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    All convenience based complaints.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Trying to hold my tongue or my keyboard. Lets make America great again... Rofl just kidding

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    If a game cost me less than 20$/month by the time I stop playing it, then I consider it cheap.
  • TeshiKOTeshiKO Member UncommonPosts: 5
    The only thing I think is ridiculous in the cash shop is that they want 30$ for an outfit. Otherwise, I don't think the cash shop is necessary at all. Just following the quests will have inventory space expansions thrown at you. They're literally the reward for every other quest. That's not even a joke. 
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited March 2016

All I've bought in the game so far is a pet and, although its a nice convenience since it picks up my loot items, I didn't need it but purchased it because I want to support the game.  I haven't spent a penny on anything else though I eventually will again because, as I've said, I like the game and I want to support it.  That said, I like to challenge myself and I usually like to play games on what I refer to as hard mode by not succumbing to any cash shop convenience items or items that would give me any short cuts or make the game easier.  I still haven't increased my inventory, warehouse space, or any other of convenience that people buy to facilitate the game and I am doing fine.  AFAIC, all of these items are a matter of convenience, they are not a necessity. But then again, I may just be a glutton for punishment :awesome:     

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,012
    It's not worth the purchase price I think. It has some good ideas in it though if curiosity gets the better of you check it out but pretty much the cash shop is there and 1-50 combat can be done in one weekend. The trading system is interesting though. Population has fallen for the week I been playing but will be on this long weekend. After that, can't say am sure about me staying around.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Game itself is fine at $29.99 (but not £29.99). Then item shop is way expensive costign as much as the actual game. Items dropped in game do not show as differant attire on your character (only item shop bought items will do this).
    Is why i have not purchased the game. Is all fine saying so what $29.99 and £29.99 are not there is a 42% differance (and thats low, usually its 50-54%) add to that teh fact that you would have to shell out the same for cash shop purchase's would = 2 purchase's for me, 3 for you, just not worth it. They couldnt be bothered with converting currencies so they made them all the same, and it is not.
  • DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679
    The game certainly is not too expensive you get enough inventory slots from doing quests and you can lvl your strength to increase your weight limit you can also build a carriage take it with you and use its inventory to stack your farmed items.

That being said the Cash shop items are very expensive but nothing in there is needed so it doesn't bother me at all.

I spend 15$ a months on cash shops treating it as if its a sub game paying 30$ for a costume is way to expensive but after 2 months of free play i don't see why i cant spend it tho.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    It's new. You're going to get a lot of desperation replies hoping this game will finally be the one. Ask again in a month or two... Or just reply to one of the dozen similar threads then from people that answered 'No' in this one.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• Varthanos1Varthanos1 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I am not rich but $30 is piddly change compared to the content the game provides.
    However, I am not a person that expects to get their entertainment for free.
    I am supposed to be impartial or at least understand other peoples views but on this subject I feel like people that can't afford $30-$50 for a game are scrubs.  They just are.
  • daisdais Member UncommonPosts: 95
    The prices are what I would expect to see in a FTP game.  Since it has a box price too the prices for the items in the shop are a bit steep.  I also feel like the items are borderline mandatory from the perspective of a polished MMO.  Skill resets and having your gear change appearance as you level up are pretty standard these days.  I won't even comment on the items from the shop that actually give your character in-game advantages like the Treant Camouflage outfit.  It really feels like the publishers are trying to take advantage of us as consumers by having FTP store prices on top of the retail box price, and it's really hurting the game overall.  With that said the game itself is a lot of fun so I'm enjoying myself.  I won't support the cash shop unless something changes, but I am getting my money's worth for buying the game and don't regret it.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I did not vote, but i do play the game and would like to comment to the thread.

Do I think the game is too expensive - No, dropping $30 for a game is not asking for much considering how much you get in return.

Is the cash shop prices too expensive - Yes, for most of the items.  The only items you really need in the cash shop are pets (no you don't need a ghillie suit to be competitive), pets cost around $10 per pet and are shared between all your characters so the cost is minimal.

On a side note, I do find it funny that a community will shell out over $600 bucks for a videocard and never think twice about it but will turn around and bitch about paying $10-$30 bucks in a cash shop.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    The game being p2p with a cash shop that is not much different from its f2p versions is quite appalling. Other than milking as much money as they can on the EU/NA side, I cannot see a reason why they would make this distinction of p2p and f2p based on regions. For me personally I would never pay for a game if I can play it for free and enjoy just as much benefits as the p2p version.
  • pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    The game being p2p with a cash shop that is not much different from its f2p versions is quite appalling. Other than milking as much money as they can on the EU/NA side, I cannot see a reason why they would make this distinction of p2p and f2p based on regions. For me personally I would never pay for a game if I can play it for free and enjoy just as much benefits as the p2p version.
    Have fun on the Russian servers. hope you enjoy buying energy potions, stones, and other P2W items.

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    You don't need anything in the cash shop to achieve success in this game, just pretend its not there and have fun.
  • BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    pantheron said:
    Have fun on the Russian servers. hope you enjoy buying energy potions, stones, and other P2W items.
    I play on the KR server.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

I bought the $50 pack, there is nothing in the cash shop that I want and even the pet and horse that I got with the $50 pack are unneeded. How can $30 be too expensive for a game, especially one as huge and complex as BDO?

About the statements in the OP:

As I pointed out already, it is actually one of the least expensive mmos to play. The weight and inventory system are features that I like about the game. There are at least four distinctive armor sets in game and I think two in the cash shop- ie there is much more "armor" in game (atm) than in the cash shop. Plus there are various costumes for doing trading/crafting etc that are all in game.

"It is difficult to get a female horse" WTF? How can you OP even present this trash to us. He is complaining that something in the game is hard.

Wake up. Expensive is being able to buy thousand dollar ships in a cash shop. Expensive is paying for cash shop items to up rng chance on enchants. Expensive is being able to sell cash shop items in game. Expensive is being able to buy gold to buy top-tier gear on the AH, or being able to just buy that stuff outright. All these things can add up to thousands of dollars.

$22 for a costume that hides your name plate plus $30 for a game = not expensive.

• carvalho677carvalho677 Member UncommonPosts: 59
    edited March 2016
    30 bucks with more content that most 60$ AAA SP games I've played so far LMAO
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    A sub game (remember those?) would cost you ~ $100 for the first 4 months. So far I've spent $50 on this one.

I'll get back to you in about three and half months and let you know if I made it too expensive for myself. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309
    The cash shop is twice the price everything should be to be considered purchasable.  30 bucks for an outfit is ridiculous.  It was like 4 bucks for some house item etc.  I don't have a shortage of cash or anything but even if i was a millionaire it's still overpriced. 

Starting to feel like this game is catered to the juvenile boy who wants to play barbie dress up with a female character and watch her boobies bounce in skimpy outfits and is willing to pay 30 bucks to do just that.

I enjoy the base game but am highly annoyed at the lack of character customization via armor/weapons and there is only 2/3 other options for each class in the overpriced cash shop.  At 10 bucks an outfit I would have probably bought one, but at 30 I never will.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Albatroes said:
    All convenience based complaints.
    I don't see them that way.  I see them as anti-inconvenience complaints.

I think the game is designed to inconvenience you unless you pay.  That's not a payment model I'm willing to support.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited March 2016
    I would've preferred if they sold the game at the price of a full game with much lower priced micro transactions in the cash shop, than have this low priced base game with high priced cash shop they currently have. Just a terrible pricing scheme over all.
  • austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Id rather the outfits be 30 bucks than the fucking box rng shit they had in archeage.

Whoever made that post hasnt played much games tbh