Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It finally happened...

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

d_20 said:
    I'm willing to spend up to 300 for a new graphics card. Of course,  I want the most bang for the buck. I don't need to spend 300 just to spend it.
    Again, what power supply do you have, and where can you buy parts?  On that budget, you should probably look at a GeForce GTX 970 or Radeon R9 390.  At the same price, I'd lean toward the R9 390, but if one of them is $50 cheaper than the other today, getting the cheaper one is an easy call.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Grimula said:

750 TI is a good cheap graphics card

can play all games on good settings

No, it isn't. It is several generations old and alreay new it was at the lower end for gamers.
    A GTX 970 is good, a GTX 960 is acceptable (Quizz can advice on similar AMD cards, lets not do the Nvidia Vs AMD forum PvP here, OP should just get the brand he prefer).

OPs computer is besides that acceptable but the 560 card is ancient and was just a mid range card when it came out.

For Nvidia card cards ending with 10-40 is total crap, 50 is for cheap gamers, 60 the standard gamers card, 70 good and cards ending with 80 (or 90m 95) is high end, not counting Titan cards. The first number is the generation of cards after the 9000 series, currently the number should be 9 but if you get something earlier down to a 780 for free from an upgrading friend that is acceptable as well, otherwise just don't get anything below GTX 960.

If you can't afford an 960 you should get an AMD, Nvidias low end card is worse then AMDs and that is from someone who always get Nvidia himself. AMD offers just far more for the money on low end cards (but as I said, Quizz is the expert on them).  But getting a dirt cheap crap card will just get you into the same problem as you have now soon again, an acceptable card will have you good for 2-3 years at least.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited March 2016
    Quizzical said:

d_20 said:
    I'm willing to spend up to 300 for a new graphics card. Of course,  I want the most bang for the buck. I don't need to spend 300 just to spend it.
    Again, what power supply do you have, and where can you buy parts?  On that budget, you should probably look at a GeForce GTX 970 or Radeon R9 390.  At the same price, I'd lean toward the R9 390, but if one of them is $50 cheaper than the other today, getting the cheaper one is an easy call.
    I haven't opened up the box to check the power supply yet, but I will just get whatever I need for the new card. I know a guy I've been working with for a few years. I just let him know what I want and he will get it for me from the electronics market and set it up. You guys might have fun here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yongsan_Electronics_Market

It's easy to get lost in there.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Quizzical said:
    Hrimnir said:
    Quizzical said:
    I'm going to join everyone else and say get yourself a new graphic card.
    Just be careful with the power load that new card is going to need, you may need to also upgrade your power supply.

While the power supply is an issue, we don't have to guess.  For the original poster, what power supply do you have?  Give the exact brand name and model.

I really think in his case it would be stupid for him to spend any money on a new PSU when his current PSU will support a fast modern card like a 970.

Why have him buy an AMD card AND have to buy a new PSU, when he could just spend that same amount on a faster card that his PSU will already support no problem.

Edit: All the rest of his components are great, he has a good proc, 12gb of system memory, etc.  All he really needs is a new GPU.

I'm not saying that he definitely should buy a new power supply.  I'm saying, let's find out.  If he's got a perfectly good 650 W power supply, he can get whatever video card he wants.  If he's got a fire hazard and is lucky it hasn't exploded yet, it should be replaced whether he upgrades anything else or not.  If he's got something borderline like a good 450 W power supply, then Nvidia's better energy efficiency becomes a lot more important and getting an AMD card would require a power supply replacement while Nvidia wouldn't.
    I get what you're saying.  But if he's been running a 150w gtx 560 for however many years without a problem, he is not going to have any issues with a 960 or 970.  At all.  It's creating a problem where one doesn't exist. The reality is if it was going to explode it would have done so a LONG time ago.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    You just unscrew the side of your case and read the name on the side of the power supply..... It's not rocket science.

Or find the receipt/box of the power supply and tell us the name/watts.

Both won't take much time to do.