Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character Creator VS Ingame

kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
Not sure if anyone else have had a problem with this, but
a fair warning to those that seek to create new a new character

Some of the subset colors you can choose in the creator does not act as you want it to ingame.
And this is somewhat frustrating with a 24 hour deletion timer, even on a lvl 1 character.

example; this was my new valkyrie, was content (enough) with how it looked like.

And this is how I was met in game

I think there are some problems too with whites and light gray getting burned out and clipping,
even with photo filter turned off and gamma adjusted back to 0.

Comments

• kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    the color (intensity) of the lips..
    I almost thought I'd accidentally checked of a "glow in the dark" checkbox.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    About the only problem i had with the character creator, was with the Wizard, i mean, i am in my 50's i want to play a 'younger' character, not an older one! :p
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    kemono55 said:
    Same thing happen to my character but it was the hair. I logged in the next day and it was fine.
  • DelvieDelvie Member UncommonPosts: 25
    When I created my characters I had the problem where they either had the default looks in game or some kind of weird mismatch - switching channels to a different letter fixed the problem for me.  Even then nothing fixed my gray haired characters eyebrows to be the gray I chose - instead they had a peach look to them.  So had to remake them to be more of a less dense black.

Every game I have to check creator vs in game to make sure I look as I expected.  Rarely do they match on the first try.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    kemono55 said:
    I gotta admit that when it's dark or raining some colors get a weird highlight on it. I think that rain has the worst highlight on horses, making them shine out a lot!
    Phry said:
    About the only problem i had with the character creator, was with the Wizard, i mean, i am in my 50's i want to play a 'younger' character, not an older one! :p
    I loved to make my wizard look older than it's presented with (halfway 40s myself). I've added a couple of extra effects with eyeliners to age the eyes extra as well as blush to make the face look more aged.
  • kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    edited March 2016
    carotid said:
    kemono55 said:
    Same thing happen to my character but it was the hair. I logged in the next day and it was fine.
    Maybe it's got something to do with cache not updating.
    Never did try rebooting the game, just set it to delete and made a new "identical" character instead.

edit:
    DMKano said:
    Looks like a chubby face Megan fox.
    at least I did something right, megan fox was inspiration.
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    kemono55 said:

Some of the subset colors you can choose in the creator does not act as you want it to ingame.
    And this is somewhat frustrating with a 24 hour deletion timer, even on a lvl 1 character.

example; this was my new valkyrie, was content (enough) with how it looked like.

And this is how I was met in game

I think there are some problems too with whites and light gray getting burned out and clipping,
    even with photo filter turned off and gamma adjusted back to 0.
    Check the filters you are using in the game configuration. In the graphics section. some of them procduce this kind of undesired effects.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Image 1 is full lit. Image 2 is not. Put a lantern on her and it will look close.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    alakram said:
    Check the filters you are using in the game configuration. In the graphics section. some of them procduce this kind of undesired effects.
    I was going to suggest the same. Under "photo filters" set it to none.

Also... there was a bug for a while that rendered newly created characters wrong when they first go into the game. The workaround for that was to switch to a different channel.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    kemono55 said:

While I never had this issue, that's absolutely terrible! so sorry; that's very annoying.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608
    The Wizard is cool because it's very rare to be able to play as a aged character. All games- MMOs or not, should let you do that. There is so much age discrimination in gaming, and it doesn't make sense. People who grew up playing games in the 70s are becoming an audience of players who are getting into middle age. Very few games that represent them.
    Meanwhile in TV and in movies, there are lots of content for people who are older.

I just think that Wizard should also be able to be young. Just like all the other characters in BDO should be able to be old. Berserker and Warrior can also be aged, but everyone else are just young. 
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Exact same thing happened to me. I was more frustrated with skin color on my witch. Looked different from creator and in-world. Also, the 24 hour deletion period makes no sense at all... Especially at lvl 1. Lost my favorite name because their character creator discrepancies.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • grizzeldergrizzelder Member UncommonPosts: 27
    DMKano said:
    pingo said:
    The Wizard is cool because it's very rare to be able to play as a aged character. All games- MMOs or not, should let you do that. There is so much age discrimination in gaming, and it doesn't make sense. People who grew up playing games in the 70s are becoming an audience of players who are getting into middle age. Very few games that represent them.
    Meanwhile in TV and in movies, there are lots of content for people who are older.

I just think that Wizard should also be able to be young. Just like all the other characters in BDO should be able to be old. Berserker and Warrior can also be aged, but everyone else are just young. 

A wizard should always be old as it takes decades to learn the ways of magic. 

Have you ever met a young wizard? 

Neither have I.

Well dynamo is only 33. So yes.. yes I have :P
  • breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374
    edited March 2016
    DMKano said:
    pingo said:

A wizard should always be old as it takes decades to learn the ways of magic. 

Have you ever met a young wizard? 

Neither have I.
    I have, it looked like this.

It has a broom to but unfortunately it never uses it :(
    Ah well that why Siemens made the new 750Watt vacuum cleaners for the EU market :P
    Its electronic so i have to use it....
    This one breaks phones (or most electronic stuff) just by looking at it...

ah well she is good for the environment since she broke the older 2200Watt version just by looking at it in a nasty way.......

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    I think the game engine makes certain things glow, especially hair and makeup.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    To all those saying to turn off photo filters, etc, that's not it. I purchased the 30-day character appearance coupon and spent a significant amount of time experimenting with it. Certain light shades of colors like red and yellow have serious issues if you're not extremely careful. There are certain shades of hair that will glow like the sun in the dark even if you move the shine all the way down. The same is true for some of the lipstick shades.

My advice is to just grab the 30-day coupon and adjust until you get it right. There's just no way to know if your look is going to work under all lighting conditions otherwise.

<3

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

Maybe in your 30's.  Mine, I was in my prime.  I was smarter, wiser, and stronger than my 20's self.  But I took care of myself very well back then too.  No crappy middle ground for me, it was some of the best days of my life.

But still, how old a Wizard must be really just depends on the lore.  If you want to create a world where a Wizard can be young then who's stopping you?

But this is all way off topic isn't it?  So back to the OP, I think some good suggestions were given on lighting and other settings.

^ This guy is 51. 

The difference is night and day between people who take care of themselves and those that look like an aged pirate. 
    A 22 year old can look 10-15 years older if he is going bald and is overweight. Other people can look wayyyy younger if they workout, fix their teeth and shit like that. Sometimes even a haircut can make you look younger. 

I think it makes as much sense to say a wizard has to be old as to say that a tamer has to look like a loli go-go dancer or a ranger has to be an elf because only elfs can shoot bows. Or something.