Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"EverQuest Next Killed The MMORPG"

Comments

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited March 2016

I don't for one second believe that EQN wasn't fun. I think it was scrapped the moment Sony sold to Daybreak. I wish this game would have been made, it looked so amazing! And Landmark is pretty cool, if you play it you can tell that a fantastic system is there to be built upon.

It would be a perfect world if Landmark was released to another developer to finish the project, if only to prove that Daybreak is completely inept.

Soon to follow in closure is EQ1 and EQ2 once they've run out of the content that was already developed prior to Daybreak. H1Z1 will be sold and that will be the end of it...

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    JamesP said:
    So many MMOs get cancelled every year... Most of them we have never heard of because they never got to the stage of being announced. MMOs being cancelled is far from new. and certainly isn't a indication of the health of the MMO as a whole. 
    Get outta here scammer. No one wants your opinion on anything except when you're going to mail them the promised shirts.
  • firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    I myself personally believe the MMORPG isn't dead, just give it some time, some interesting things are happening with technology I would say by 2020-2025 the tech will be there to give players a true MMORPG a world you can truly live in or universe ;) lot of licenses for big IP's like Star Trek and possibly Star Wars will be available for another iteration. Hell, maybe even a new Stargate MMORPG could be possible, I would like to see more sci-fi MMORPGs along with a properly done zombie MMORPG not like H1Z1 but much larger scale and a little more realistic, another wishlist MMORPG would Fallout take everything that made the single players games great and put it into a MMORPG and expand along with world building with what Fallout 4 started with. Just give it time folks ;)

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    edited March 2016
    EverQuest Next killed the next EverQuest. :D
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Well @nariusseldon ;

I think I'll call you "Top 40 Guy" from on. Your seemingly always hung up on "POP".

POP trends are always in then out of fashion. POP has always been generic. POP will always be "Here Today Gone Tomorrow"

The Treasures are and have always been the B-sides.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    sayuu said:
     "EverQuest Next Killed The MMORPG"

But I thought video killed the radio star. . . B)
    No, the internet killed the video star.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    edited March 2016
    Considering MMORPGs could not solve most of their inherit fundamental problems for two decades, I say:

Good riddance.

Excellent news for us EVE fans, less competition is better, I mean soon where you gonna go to play a virtual world MMORPG?  :p

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

So I totally disagree with the entire article parading a personal opinion as what everyone else must be thinking. 

And one things holds true. Trends fade. 

Yes, trends fade. The trend of mmorpg is fading.

Sure, no one says you have to go with the trend of liking other types of games, but isn't this paragraph:

"All the major players now have tried and failed and moved on. CCP could have merged the trust it places in players in Eve Online with a more personable setting with World of Darkness. Nope, gone. Blizzard’s Project Titan? Gone, with some pieces going to Overwatch, and Hearthstone probably more profitable than it would ever have been. Funcom? Hahaha, no. NCSoft perhaps could, but past attempts like Tabula Rasa and more recently Wildstar have left it licking burned fingers."

facts?

Didn't CCP cancel World of Darkness?
    Didn't Blizz cancel Titan?
    Didn't DBG cancel EQN?
    Are TR and Wildstar failures?

One is a fluke. Two is a pattern. Three is a trend. You get the idea. 
    To be more exact: the trend of big budget Western MMORPGs is fading.  For those of us who enjoy Asian MMORPGs times have never been better.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Kyleran said:
    Excellent news for us EVE fans, less competition is better, I mean soon where you gonna go to play a virtual world MMORPG?  :p
    I was laughing for real when he cited CCP.  ANYWAY, is this thread real or is Naur just trolling again?

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

edited March 2016
    reeereee said:
      For those of us who enjoy Asian MMORPGs times have never been better.
    You may start to cherish this moment because your supply AAA Asian MMORPGs are drying out.
    Unless Chinese or Indians will suddenly ramp up and start pulling AAA MMORPGs from their sleeves don't expect nothing fast past Bless Online.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Actually only the death of questhub singleplayer style themeparks that tried to get WOW's audience.  The rest of the genre was already killed by WoW distorting the bell curve to make them unviable.  

Games like the Division will just do what themepark MMO are trying to do.
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    I think it will take some time but another western AAA MMORPG will surely be made. Just takes time. We're in a slump, so what?
    I think it will take some time but another western AAA MMORPG will surely be made. Just takes time. We're in a slump, so what?
    At 58 I'm not getting any younger here, they'd better hurry the f..k up and get on it.  :o

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    So we have a biased article which is opinion being presented as fact, linked to us here by someone with an agenda, specifically, to promote the idea that MMORPG's are dead and we should all play little co-op games.

Nice try Nari, but we're not falling for it.

Next!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    EQN was not going to do anything for the genre,talk is cheap.That is the dev/publisher's job to tell you how great their game will be,how they are going to change the genre they are not there to tell you the truth.

EQN would have been similar to other mediocre hyped games,like around 500k-1million sales,two months later, 100-200k then slowly dwindles down form there.

COE is the ONLY game upcoming trying to do something a little different and add in better realism instead of silly ideas i see a lot of in games.However myself and others would realize not to expect an amazing game until we see it.

More of the same old with a slight twist "Kingdom Come" ,more of the same old school EQ1/FFXI type clone "Pantheon".There is your entire industry summed up in about 3 games,the other 2k plus develoeprs will be shipping out budgetware.

Sad reality is the ONLINE gaming craze has done nothing,you will see much better games in the single player genre.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Sulaa said:
    reeereee said:
    You may start to cherish this moment because your supply AAA Asian MMORPGs are drying out.
    Unless Chinese or Indians will suddenly ramp up and start pulling AAA MMORPGs from their sleeves don't expect nothing fast past Bless Online.
    Actually there is Lineage Eternal and some other similar game after Bless.  The fundamental reasons why there are way more Asian games coming out aren't changing anytime soon either.  As far as from their sleeves go, games that have real investors announce much later in the development cycle than the "crowdfunded" gems we get around here. 
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Kyleran said:
    At 58 I'm not getting any younger here, they'd better hurry the f..k up and get on it.  :o
    I am almost 42 next month so I feel ur pain...
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    So we have a biased article which is opinion being presented as fact, linked to us here by someone with an agenda, specifically, to promote the idea that MMORPG's are dead and we should all play little co-op games.

Nice try Nari, but we're not falling for it.

Next!
    I think themepark audience is better served by those coop games. The genre will better trying to focus on being MMO instead of poor versions of the coop games.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited March 2016
    Kyleran said:
    But really two totally different fan bases...Sure theres a few that would have done both but most fantasy RPGers aren't into sitting in a space ship clicking on things.
    Kyleran said:
    But really two totally different fan bases...Sure theres a few that would have done both but most fantasy RPGers aren't into sitting in a space ship clicking on things.
    Nobody here gets my tongue in cheek humor, you guys are all so literal sometimes.

;) 

• grandtheftstgrandtheftst Member UncommonPosts: 1
    It's a Rock Paper Shotgun article. I usually don't mind them but lately they've become incredibly pretentious and prone to the "subjective opinion as fact" school of journalism I'd expect from lesser sites like Kotaku. I wouldn't pay the article any mind. I honestly can't say for certain if EQN would of saved MMO's, but I'm not sure it would of even if was any good. Either way, there's still stuff like Crowfall and Camelot Unchained to look forward to. I hope they turn out all right.  
    edited March 2016
    reeereee said:
    Sulaa said:
    reeereee said:
    Actually there is Lineage Eternal and some other similar game after Bless.  The fundamental reasons why there are way more Asian games coming out aren't changing anytime soon either.  As far as from their sleeves go, games that have real investors announce much later in the development cycle than the "crowdfunded" gems we get around here. 
    Lineage Eternal is called Lineage Eternal and not Lineage 3 because it is not an MMORPG, but rather Diablo clone with more MMO elements and F2P business models.  Lineage 3 was an separate project and NCSoft talked about it being separate project about which news stopped to appear and is presumed dead.
    Other bigger budget Korean online games aside of Bless Online  are in making are also Diablo-like.

So unless you call games like Diablo, PoE, The Division and MMORPGs there is no Korean AAA MMORPG announced past Bless Online.     
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Kyleran said:

Nobody here gets my tongue in cheek humor, you guys are all so literal sometimes.

;) 
    Ouch that must hurt!

Do you have a hole in your cheek that allows you to put your tongue into it? ;)
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    You didn't quote what was the most interesting for me:

"I’ve talked about the problems facing MMOs before, but it’s probably worth repeating one of the biggest – the magic factor. By that, I mean that when the genre first hit, its fundamental sell felt magical – that we could enter amazing worlds with millions of other people, and every moment of doing so felt special. Now, not only is it no big deal, but we’ve come to realise that much like the real world, what matters isn’t how many people you’re surrounded by, but how many people you’re actually with."

If you click on the link, you get an explanation of the decline of magic:

"But the trouble with magic is that the same trick rarely works more than once. As much as games that followed might have introduced people to other worlds, culturally, the genie was out of the bottle. Suddenly, worlds full of people became just a thing that computers can do, no more inherently exciting or surprising than a lens flare effect or the ability to create real-world locations."

In other words, there is only so many ways you can pull a rabbit out of a hat before the audience is bored with it.

Then he alludes to the sub vs. F2P issue:

"The subscription fees that seemed so important in the late 90s, because obviously all those servers cost money, started to feel distinctly quaint in a world where every tech company was throwing servers and bandwidth around like they and it were free."

If you know me, I am decidedly in the Free-to-Play-Sucks camp, but I have to admit that arguing against it is like arguing against a tsunami. But that brings me to the last sentence of the quote, "what matters isn’t how many people you’re surrounded by, but how many people you’re actually with."  Long ago I had a job in retail and I made the comment that this would be a great job if it wasn't for all those darn customers. Likewise, in your typical F2P the attitude is that this would be a great mmorpg if wasn't for those mm's. We want lots of people around, but we don't actually want to have to deal with them. PvP? Not unless it is consensual and you have submitted a PvP request in triplicate two weeks in advance and an independent third-party has confirmed you aren't using an exploitative meta.