Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMORPG is Dead, Long Live the MMORPG - Bill Murphy at MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    edited March 2016
    While I like the Blue Ocean idea, I feel uncomfortable relying on the remora for news of the shark's health. I can only hope that in the future there is a revival of the virtual role playing game model. Good article
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Devs realize that you can't pump out* MMOs the same way you pump out CoD/BlackOps games.   And get people to jump games in the same way.

*IE make the same thing, after each development cycle.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited March 2016
    MMORPG as a genre has become boring as hell. We could declare it brain dead.

It takes one to know one.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    heerobya said:
    I think the success of games like Destiny and The Division is going to influence more and more developers to add in MMO-like features and online play options, especially now that "always online" is really quite accepted in the console world.

I still think (as I always have) that there is ample room for more great console MMOs, maybe even one that is console only, designed for consoles from the start.
    Yeah, and this is one I didn't even mention. Psuedo-MMO is like a gateway drug to real full world MMORPGs on consoles. And frankly, ESO is killing it on consoles. Likely will for some time.

Don't forget about the borderline games on the opposite end. I could definitely see The Witcher 3 existing as an MMORPG. Maybe that's what we're getting this year, lol. Stripping down Geralt to be Joe Witcher and then open up the playground to everyone, throw in some world bosses & dungeons and VOILA!!!! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    You know what? I'll take the past, thank you. I still think ESO is one of the better MMOs to come out of late but they lost me the first time charging subs for an EU server located in Texas and then for good when they decided to call themselves B2P and then charge for content patches. If paying for content patches is the future you want, and it's funny we never see your writers bring it up as a negative, you keep it.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Ridrith said:

Not gonna lie, when I read that EQ Next was canned it was like taking a hit directly to the gut. As soon as they shifted over to Daybreak games I think the writing was already on the wall, but I didn't want to believe it. I banked on it being SoE. They had already shown us awesome concepts, in-engine gameplay, Landmark was there... I mean these were the guys who made EQ. No way they'd sunset a game after showing us this much, right? It's a shame too. They were trying so hard to make something unique and now we'll never get to see it. I haven't felt this bad about a company canceling something in a long time. The last was Vigil Games and their Warhammer 40k MMO going away once Relic was dissolved.

It's damn sad.

I felt the same when I read the news. Seems like the choices are dwindling. Bill's article gives me some hope. Also, can I just say that Wildstar is failing due to the telegraphing mechanics gameplay? Make that thing a tab target like WoW and it would have held a lot more players.

Man this is so true. There is zero wrong with Wildstar but the crappy combat/telegraph system. I wish some other company would grab up that game. Because NCsoft is going to give it the axe after they milk as much as they can from steam launch.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    "EverQuest Next was a collection of amazing ideas and technology concepts, and it was so impressive even in early form that we named it our Best of Show at E3 when it debuted. And yet, now we’ll never see that game come to life."

And you should personally take responsibility for that faux pax because you fell hook line and sinker for the oldest con in the game... the snake oil salesman.

That is why the industry is in a total state of crap... because it is full of snake oil salesman promising things that they haven't even made yet. Why don't they all predict the winning lotto numbers for next week while they're at it... they are about as likely to come to fruition.
  • Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297
    I've been a member of MMORPG.com since 2004. Why do I mention that? Well, because this web-site has done a pretty phenomenal job following the trends of the industry. Gradually this site has expanded their definition of a MMORPG to parallel how the industry itself views a MMORPG. This didn't just happen overnight or because the people running this site woke up and decided to change their definition/view. This genre has been evolving for quite a while but most people don't see the incremental steps because they're still preoccupied with arguing over what should and should not be considered an MMORPG, which features in which game make it superior to all others, etc.

Personally...I completely agree with Bill. This genre isn't dead. Our view of what an MMORPG, however, is.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    There will always be diversity in the genre.   A lot of people seem to take an 'all or nothing' attitude to this.  MMOs are dead.... MMOFPS is the future....   Subscription is dead.....  All hail F2P...There will always be a mix of all of these types because the market is so large that there are enough disparate populations to support numerous types of everything.  If anything, we'll just see a general flattening of the profit bell curve instead of giant peaks (Like WoW).

I self identify as a monkey.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Main problem is there are so many crap MMOs out there that attract at least for some time various players. Many will go with any crap as long it is free.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    MMORPG is not dead but We are defiantly in Dark Ages of it))))) until now
    There are few projects that give me hope for 2017 ...

About today well for me best new MMO released these years war ESO
    I had lots of fun doing Quest and Lore in ESO for 2 months I was not going out))) Had lot of fun in PVP with guild when it was balanced .
    Had lots of fun with Dungeons especially when I was getting so many friends request for being good Tank ....which I haven't seen in MMO and WOW for a while .And People were actually asking me to come with them and do dungeon runs ...
    ESO had it flaws unfortunately
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Ridrith said:
    Not gonna lie, when I read that EQ Next was canned it was like taking a hit directly to the gut. As soon as they shifted over to Daybreak games I think the writing was already on the wall, but I didn't want to believe it. I banked on it being SoE. They had already shown us awesome concepts, in-engine gameplay, Landmark was there... I mean these were the guys who made EQ. No way they'd sunset a game after showing us this much, right? It's a shame too. They were trying so hard to make something unique and now we'll never get to see it. I haven't felt this bad about a company canceling something in a long time. The last was Vigil Games and their Warhammer 40k MMO going away once Relic was dissolved.

It's damn sad.
    Sorry to tell you this but SOE didnt make EQ........It was made by a company called Verant iirc
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I think the biggest problem with MMORPG games in this generation is everyone wants something for nothing. Do players really believe WOW would have ever thrived if they launched as FTP all those years ago? If you want a decent game then there is a cost involved and the FTP model is just a Blackhole waiting for its next victim.

It amazes me how many people will spend hundreds of dollars on Steam and yet complain when an MMO has a monthly fee..
    Adding a monthly fee to a game doesnt make it better...You have to have a high enough quality game to justify paying extra for it.....Wildstar, Archeage, ESO, etc arent worth an extra $15 a month....Most would rather buy a new single player  game off of steam for that.
  • 209vaughn209vaughn Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I think the moral of the story is that WoWclones are dying. MMORPG it self is not. Some of the big budget games of the past few years have been very successful, ESO, Black Desert, GuildWars 2, FF14.

The MMORPG market is too crowded for there to be a single dominate game like WoW. It's going to be much more of a shared space and not a monopoly. Does anybody even feel that Blizzard itself can create that dominance again? Heck no.
  • AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    the time of the sandbox is here.. its about time they started making real games.. sure rpgs are fun but oh until you have been there and done that.. in a sandbox there is no been there done that. its more im here doing this which will lead to something more..
  • HappyFunBallHappyFunBall Member UncommonPosts: 221
    edited March 2016
    I've been saying this for years, but when I do, people just get mad at me, or say "What about this game, or that game", then I have to explain why they aren't really MMORPGS's, or are just pure cookie-cutter garbage, etc.

Truth is, everything I've seen coming out for years has the same mindless, boring mechanics, wrapped in new graphics, pretending to be a new game. Almost no AAA MMORPG sandbox games come out anymore, and exploration, discovery, random encounters, barely exist at all in games now.

It's all instanced this, instanced that. Kill 10 of these mobs that ALWAYS spawn in the exact same place, endlessly, return "quest", and move to the next area. OOH, how exciting! This is not what makes an MMO. Where's the next EQ? Where's the next UO?

I could easily thing games that tried, but they've all failed, and clearly were not nearly the quality of those original games.
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441

Ridrith said:

It's damn sad.

I felt the same when I read the news. Seems like the choices are dwindling. Bill's article gives me some hope. Also, can I just say that Wildstar is failing due to the telegraphing mechanics gameplay? Make that thing a tab target like WoW and it would have held a lot more players.

NO, this is not what is killing Wildstar, you can turn that off and play just like any other MMO, the game is amazing, and it is a blast to play, I keep trying to figure out why people say it is not fun when it is just freaking fun to play!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited March 2016
    Ridrith said:

It's damn sad.
    Sorry to tell you this but SOE didnt make EQ........It was made by a company called Verant iirc
    Sorry to tell you this but there is a reason that Qeynos spelt backwards is Sony EQ, this whole Verant nonsense is a complete furphy (look it up) the ultimate ownership was always Sony, right up till Nova Columbus bought it.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited March 2016
    Ridrith said:

It's damn sad.

Verant Interactive and 989 Studios were fully owned subsidiaries of Sony Interactive Studios.  For a short while after EQ was released, Verant broke away from Sony, but was eventually absorbed back into Sony and later the gaming development division reformed into Sony Online Entertainment.

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    The genre isn't dead but it needs a good shot in the arm. While I'm not really up for a 40 man raid with all of us Tab targeting something big and scary, or spending hours camping a named MOB or going on a corpse run anytime soon; I've also had my fill of the flashy action-oriented pretty to look at MMOs with zero story or real substance. I'd like to actually be excited about a MMO again in the same way I enjoy a great game like the Witcher.

Here's the thing: Getting some of that on a console now albeit on a limited basis. Grouping in a game like the Division or ESO is a lot of fun on a console. (Swore I would never like a MMO on a console. I was wrong. ESO seems to belong on a console) but I miss dungeon/instance runs on my PC. Most of the current crop of MMOs are just open world which is fine too but how about some variety?

I have high hopes for Crowfall but true group-based content seems to have migrated to console land for the most part.

Seems we now have MONTEOs now.. Massively-Online-Next-to-Each-Other.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box