Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW for a first timer. Should I?

furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
Greetings,

While I'm not new to MMORPG scene, with history of Lineage 2, RIFT, GW2, ESO and FFXIV (games I spent most time playing) and probably every other MMORPG out there (Even Runes of Magic and what not), I have never really got around to play World of Warcraft properly. I did buy it when WoD came out, but then I used the 90 lvl boost, everything felt rushed and after a week or so I quit, because it felt... weird... like I was thrown into the middle of a world I had no knowledge of.

I recently resub'd to FFXIV, but after a days I feel "constrained". I hate the instances and everything doesn't really feel like it has this sort of free flow, if you catch my drift. I also play ESO once in a while, but I miss quest hubs and question marks and all the flashy stuff.. like in RIFT. Gosh, RIFT was the perfect game before Trion's greed consumed them.

So, the question stands: On a scale from 1 to 10, how worth is it to start playing WoW from scratch? I intend to start at level 1 and work my way up. I want to experience the lore, the wonderful misc storylines you stumble upon in a random village (Like in RIFT) and the freedom of running around, not having to wait for instance loads and stuff. 

Why I hesitate: WoW is an old game, there are plenty of other games, plenty of new ones coming out, and I feel like everyone already has everything in WoW. Kinda feel like I'm too late to start investing my time. Yeah that's it. I'm too late to invest my time and money.

Discuss please!

Thanks,

Matthew

Comments

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    edited March 2016
    Id give it a go if I were you.  You can just trial it to 20 for free then see how you feel.

Guilds are always looking for fresh meat to sacrifice.

I am not a current player but I might dabble if Legion launches in June with the movie.
  • amikobamikob Member UncommonPosts: 29
    best theme-park mmo you will ever play 
  • furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Thanks for quick replies!
    I have ADHD, so trying is a bit "hard" for me, I feel like I'm wasting time I could be spending playing other games. If I start playing, I want to commit 100%. Before I do, I want to know it's good for long-term :)
  • starstar1starstar1 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    I think it is worth it. Just start as level 1 and work your way through the game at your own pace. There are generally a decent amount of folks leveling, at least on my server.

There are a lot of class/race choices, and both factions are interesting.

From a personal aspect, I think the fluid movement of the characters, and their reaction times are one of the best, if not the best in the industry.

One other thing is they have updated a lot of the character models and environments so it is not as old looking as one would assume. I would give it an 8. I have been playing on and off since '05.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    No. they've butchered the leveling experience so much that there really is no fun to be had until you hit max level and even that is questionable in it's current form.

everything is made to speed up the leveling meaning you'll 1shot pretty much anything you attack and the XP you get is so high you'll outleveled a zone before you've even done a third of the quests. if you step into a dungeon you wont be able to attack stuff most of the time unless you are the tank since mobs die so fast even in there. and if you dare try some PvP you're basically screwed if you're not in fully enchanted heirlooms.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Thanks for quick replies!
    I have ADHD, so trying is a bit "hard" for me, I feel like I'm wasting time I could be spending playing other games. If I start playing, I want to commit 100%. Before I do, I want to know it's good for long-term :)

If you're having fun then it's not wasted time! No one will give you a gold star for playing any particular game.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    I'd go for it. However, keep in mind that most players use dungeon finder and level almost purely through running dungeons. So you're probably not going to run into a lot people leveling the old fashioned way.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I was in your shoes once. I played City of Heroes and between when that was canceled and Neverwinter was released I gave WoW a try. I didn't care much for it. The game was so built up with lore and expansions that I had very little idea what to do. The game assumes you've played it before so it doesn't explain many concepts very well, like why "fast" travel cost so much or where to get a steed or the different types of damages and defenses and stats. Maybe it's improved in the past 3 years but for me I found it very newbie unfriendly.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    If you havent't played WoW, go for it.
    Leveling to 20 is free, you can start the download of the client right now. Try some classes, get a feel for the game. If you managed to get an idea as to what to play and decide to really get into it, the battlechest costs next to nothing and you'll have 30 days to snoop around.

You should take your time with picking a class/race and also not hesitate to abandon a character you invested some evenings into if it doesn't really want to click with you.

The best thing would be if you'd had someone to duo with, but don't ruin your first time experience with the "recruit a friend" XP bonus unless you want to fly through the levels and literally see nothing of the journey to max level.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    you will have a great time , go have fun with it..
  • MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Give it a try, nobody but you can decide if you will like it. It is worth a shot. Good luck!
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited March 2016
    I played WoW for a year, left to give EQ2 a try, and then came back a year later for the BC expansion.

I have never been treated so poorly by a gaming community (post BC community) in my entire life, and I WILL NEVER, EVER, play WoW again.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It all depends what you want out of a game.
    Wow is going to do one thing,have you paraded around chasing markers over npc heads,yeah pretty much what you can do in ANY game.Only difference is it has poorer graphics than FFXIV,less systems a VERY  basic generic game.
    Personally i see no reason to play WOW what so ever because you can just get better systems all over th eplace,MANY games to discover,inside of Wow you will discover nothing new.

I also played ROM for a whole year,a decent sort of unique game although heavy cash shop influenced,i also played FFXIV,geesh i have played most every notable game,there is nothing greener on the other side only better graphics and some games have a few more systems and depth.
    I rate stil lto this day FFXI as the best overall experience but even that game is missing EQ type housing and no water zones but everything else is just better.

As to EQ2 versus Wow,imo no contest EQ2 is a much better game doing the same thing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Don't they still have trial subscriptions? I suggest that. No harm can come of it. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Mouloxtos85Mouloxtos85 Member UncommonPosts: 66
     Despite all the whinning about WoW's current state (due to nostalgia reasons mostly) , it is still an excellent game with tremendous amount of content to play and explore. Give it a go :)
  • garretthgarretth Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Absolutely!
  • RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Definitely worth investing your time into and as someone suggested earlier, start from level 1. I'd add that you shouldn't worry about the end game but instead focus on leveling and learning the game and your chosen class. Don't be afraid to create a second or 3rd character to get a feel for the different classes to decide what you enjoy most.

If you're not playing with friends choose a decent server to play on. Maybe do a little research here to see which are well populated, PvP orientated (if that's your style) or PvE.

Whilst leveling don't be afraid to chat and join in with others on quests or dungeons. if your character level is much higher than a dungeons level you can enter it on your own and solo it. Try a battleground or 2 as you get higher. For your professions, Initially I'd take up mining and herbalism so you can gather ores/herbs to sell on the auction house and earn gold. This will help greatly so you can upgrade your gear, buy mounts, pay for flying etc. It's easy to change professions at anytime which you may want to do as you get closer to max level.

There is immense fun to be had traveling the lands and seeing your character develop and grow. Looking at youtube videos can be handy as are sites like Wowhead for getting information if your stuck on something.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

• prayerlessprayerless Member UncommonPosts: 21
    you will not get a the story unless you are willing to stay in areas as the quest turn white and give no xp as the way the zones are now give too much xp. also you will not feel the danger that wow early game had as they have totally destroyed the world that launched (known as vanilla) and what is left is a shallow shell of when the game was good
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    On a scale of 1 to 10 - Zero! The current game is so far from what it used to be you'd experience a shallow, cut down version of the original WoW if you started from scratch now and I don't think it's worth the bother really.

Then again, if it were Vanilla WoW as it was back in 2004-2006 I'd say go for it.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    There is absolutely no reason not to give it a go.  It's got the hubs, the exclamation marks, lots of content.

I self identify as a monkey.

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I've enjoyed my time in WoW and I would recommend it to a new person.  Take your time if you want to experience the story.  Don't be afraid to stay in an area even after the quest turn-ins are grey.  There is an option along the mini map, by right clicking on it, that will enable you to enable low level quests.  If you try PVP, keep in mind that most folks are playing twinks or fully heirloomed gear toons.  They will kill you quick, so try it to see the BG, but don't be too distraut if you lose.  As others mentioned above, try out most if not all of the classes.  Find one that you love playing and you'll be well on your way.  FYI Tuesdays are sometimes maintenance days, and I think all servers are down tomorrow for a patch.  I remember loggin into this game for the first time back in 8/05.  My first toon was a Tauren Hunter.  I remember logging in, running around and exploring, and before I even knew it, I had to get ready for work the nect morning.  My battletag is Turks#1262 if you need someone to talk to in game/ask questions.  Add it to your friends list (by pressing "O" then add friend").  Best wishes and good luck!
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    The game is very fun if you haven't done all the content yet. People are right about dungeons being different than they used to and people just running from the start to the end grabbing giant groups aoeing them all down, it's a bit sad that it isn't the same as it used to be. But Heroics in the end and Raids are still relatively hard, so it wont be like that forever. The leveling it self is super streamlined and fun now too, it doesn't take all that long to get to the end so enjoy it while you can and then hopefully you enjoy the end content as well. 
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited March 2016
    I play Battlegrounds at endgame and its super fun. Best game Ive ever played. Been playing since beta.

edit -- Although right now Im waiting for Camelot Unchained. As soon as CU hits I might be gone from WoW...
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    On a scale of 1 to 10 - Zero! The current game is so far from what it used to be you'd experience a shallow, cut down version of the original WoW if you started from scratch now and I don't think it's worth the bother really.

Then again, if it were Vanilla WoW as it was back in 2004-2006 I'd say go for it.
    What about Vanilla was better? It took longer to level, there was no LFP/LFR and raiding was prohibitively difficult due to group size. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I just resubscribed to a month of WoW. Getting a couple of characters to lvl 100 before Legion launches.

There is never a bad time to jump into WoW. I only play it for the lore so i dont have to subscribe every month to enjoy the game.