Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Do You Think BDO Has Been So Well Received?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    There are a lot of "mini bosses" actually (not sure what you meant, Sovrath).
    Basically just noting that there are scrolls where players can summon bosses. In my guild they make parties, people must bring at least one scroll and it's part of the pve game play.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    edited March 2016
    Graphics, player character combat mechanics and seamless open world.

Being perceived as last AAA MMORPG for long time (Bless won't be here soon and after Bless there is nothing announced) helps immensely too.

It will bleed it's population though and sooner rather than later. Aside of it's strenghts BDO also has very severe drawbacks, severe even amongst other "big MMORPGs" and they will pull BDO it down.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Hard to say from my point of view. I cant get over the fact the game rewards people for being AFK.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited March 2016
    Hariken said:
    flizzer said:
    Regardless, once you get to max level PVE types will be the sheep the wolves go after.  You will undoubtedly see an exodus of PVE players at this point. 
    Lol yeah this is so true. I say a couple of months from now. It will be fun to come here and see what people think then.

... and if true, soon after the PvE players leave the servers will become deserted and the game will die. We've all seen this song played before so it's just becomes a matter of when, not if.  That said, although I see this mentioned often the reverse could also be true.  BDO is not as PvP-centric as AA and most other MMORPGs featuring PvP.  Unlike other MMORPGs that are more geared toward PvP, once players are triggered into non-consensual PvP, PvE-centric players will still have the same large variety of things to do that are PvE related with still more on the way.  As opposed to the PvP activities which will be limited to GvG node wars and sieges, and the odd ganking here and there.  

The lack of activities to engage in with PvP, combined with the karma system, are more likely to drive PvP players away than they would PvE players.  I would be more inclined to believe that given the game mechanics in BDO, it will be the PvP players that will be driven away.  Many of them are complaining about the karma system as it is now.  What makes you think they will hang around when they discover that PvE-centric players will eventually just ignore them and simply play dead, refusing to flag for PvP thereby allowing for karma to build up on all the gankers.  A loss of 2% to the level XP bar means nothing to the PvEer.  That level XP is only meaningful to the PvPer since it is what empowers them to play their game.  Most PvEers want to actually stop leveling at level 45.  Time will tell.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    i'd say it takes long enough to reach max level :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• xxBoneZxxxxBoneZxx Member UncommonPosts: 124

Honestly I have been done with this kind of game for quite a while. Lately I find myself really wanting to try this game! I don't know what it is about it that's taking my interest.

I was on the store page several times debating on springing for the 30 beans to buy the game. I'm close, but still gonna try and hold out for a 7day pass from someone. 

I've sent you a 7-day pass via private message. Let me know you got it. :)

As far as the article is concerned:

I haven't had a chance to dive in to this MMO yet beyond creating a character and doing the first few missions, but I do look forward to getting some decent time in soon. Waited years for this to finally come to the West and pre-purchased as soon as it was available. Hopefully this weekend I'll get some good quality time in.
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Good article.

I actually forgot how MMORPG can be interesting, heh. Returned from frontline the other day (places where current quests are) back to Heidel, saw a quest to catch salmon. Took it, while fishing fished out 'Ancient Relic Crystal Shard'. Of course now I want all five.

The game where I deviate from current activity to satisfy my curiosity is a good game in my book. Like EQ, AC or SWG.
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Ah! Almost forgot, about non-challenging PvE combat. It's not about standard 1v1. Pull a crowd, kill it. There will be challenge.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Hariken said:
    flizzer said:
    Regardless, once you get to max level PVE types will be the sheep the wolves go after.  You will undoubtedly see an exodus of PVE players at this point. 
    Lol yeah this is so true. I say a couple of months from now. It will be fun to come here and see what people think then.

... and if true, soon after the PvE players leave the servers will become deserted and the game will die. We've all seen this song played before so it's just becomes a matter of when, not if.  That said, although I see this mentioned often the reverse could also be true.  BDO is not as PvP-centric as AA and most other MMORPGs featuring PvP.  Unlike other MMORPGs that are more geared toward PvP, once players are triggered into non-consensual PvP, PvE-centric players will still have the same large variety of things to do that are PvE related with still more on the way.  As opposed to the PvP activities which will be limited to GvG node wars and sieges, and the odd ganking here and there.  

The lack of activities to engage in with PvP, combined with the karma system, are more likely to drive PvP players away than they would PvE players.  I would be more inclined to believe that given the game mechanics in BDO, it will be the PvP players that will be driven away.  Many of them are complaining about the karma system as it is now.  What makes you think they will hang around when they discover that PvE-centric players will eventually just ignore them and simply play dead, refusing to flag for PvP thereby allowing for karma to build up on all the gankers.  A loss of 2% to the level XP bar means nothing to the PvEer.  That level XP is only meaningful to the PvPer since it is what empowers them to play their game.  Most PvEers want to actually stop leveling at level 45.  Time will tell.
    I don't know. I think with the push being to make PK a valid means to play it may have the reverse effect. They are adding in the PK system which almost makes karma worth having for those that like PK.

Depends on if this will make a more two faction style game play (good versus evil) one continent being for the white and one being for the purple and red. 
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    edited March 2016
    "instead of providing them with the tools to entertain themselves."
    Doesn't BDO prohibit player trading and lock prices on the AH? So, that takes "playing the AH" and by extension "crafting" off the table, something a lot of people enjoy.

(BDO does this to combat gold sellers, a worthy goal, but IMO they are using the wrong tool here)

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    It's well received now because the PvP players have a lot to do. As soon as they're done grinding gear and turn into ganking PKers, the game will blow and all the PvE players who miss the depth of a sandbox like SWG will leave and then the PvP crowd will become bored and the game will become a ghost town like Archeage. If Daum is smart, once the PK hunt begins and PvE players get murdered, they will increase penalties for murder or griefing and keep the game healthy.

No bitchers.

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Benbrada said:
    My only nagging problem is the opposite of Lewis', I think, I mainly have an hour or two to play at a time, perhaps 2-3 hours a day. I feel like I log in and I'm not accomplishing anything because I have 5 things to do sometimes to get one thing done.
      That's an understandable claim, I founds its best to change the mind set you can't do everything in this game in one sitting, you can try, but you will just end up in this scenario. I found its best to try and focus on one thing per sitting and set small goals towards one major goal. And please don't take this the wrong way im not telling you how to play your game just a suggestion to maximize your enjoyment :). Sandbox games are very enjoyable you just have to find your groove sometimes then things will start to come together, and time management gets a little easier.
      Like I have learned I always need to make sure I have beers made for my workers so I always have my potatoes being harvested and I invested in a few nodes for farming mobs for silver while also questing and some trade runs on the side.. Don't try and kill yourself and do everything though you will fail and end up really discouraged. 
     Also I have friends that just quest, grind mobs and make mils a day from making beers and selling them.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited March 2016
    Mardukk said:
    I think BDO was "well-received" because its launch wasn't a sloppy mess like so many other MMOs (easiest and closest comparison:  Archeage).

It's like Archeage's launch with just the honeymoon and none of the stupidity (server crashes and queues, housing land grab, etc).  And missing the more glaring flaws that turned off lots of people right from the outset (labor points, P2W cash shop relatively speaking)

However, those who say "There's no rush!  Just explore/craft/enjoy/PvE without raids and dungeons!" are still in the honeymoon phase (but again, without the messy slop that came with a lot of launches recently).  It still remains to be seen whether those people will be singing that same tune a few months from now depending on when the exploring is done (game worlds sadly just aren't that big, usually, but maybe BDO's is different?), the crafting is involved in the gear people actually still want, and the PvEers are still enjoying themselves or PvE is simply not varied enough that within a few months, the PvEers have gotten bored of the same old PvE that never really changes (if BDO is like that.  Perhaps it isn't)

Truthfully what I've heard about Korea BDO makes me pessimistic on all those fronts and I suspect that eventually most of the crafters, explorers, and PvEers will have packed up for other games by then leaving just PvPers (which is why B2P was a prudent move by Daum), but hey, I could be wrong.  After all, those not enjoying the game tend to be more vocal than those enjoying the game in this genre.
    Breaking this game down into PvP and PvE is really doing it a disservice.  I haven't PvP'd yet and I PvE maybe 10% of the time.  It's much more about gathering, crafting, housing, farming, trades runs and character building somewhat unrelated to PvP or PvE.  It is remarkable how many things this game has in it that people have been crying for on these forums for years(dark nights alone should have most of this forum doing backflips, after all the threads I used to see bitching about them not being present in games).   And unless you are someone that hates all things that aren't PvP or PvE, you are very likely to have a damn good time with the game.

Edit:  To JayFive above.  The PvE is pretty easy.  But if you enjoy non combat stuff you can't go wrong with this game at $30 no sub required.
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you accidentally quoted the wrong person, given that there are several other posters around my post that break the game down to PvE and PvP whereas my post clearly mentions and includes crafters and explorers.
  • KrynKryn Member UncommonPosts: 172

Castran said:

"Why Do You Think BDO Has Been So Well Received?"

It has not actually. The playerbase dipped sharply after the first week.

Here are a few reasons players have stopped playing the game:

There is no end-game dungeons for PvE players. The end-game is that of arche-age where it is trade packs and pvp.

The interface was designed for consoles but when they scrapped that idea they didn't bother to fix their UI.

The combat is reminiscent of TERA, which wasn't great to begin with.

Yet another sellout article, but that's what $500 for positive media will get you.

I think everything you said is false. At least on the level that you can prove ANY of it.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    it wanst well received. It was just the next big mmo that came out. Same will happen to every new mmo. The thing is- people starved for a new mmo- they got one, played for 1 week and found out: oh shet. i dont want to grind my life on pixels again like i was 12y old- and left.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    I am only a few hours in, level 10 with a wizard and level 9 with a fighter, but I really enjoy the game so far. I am having issues figuring out the UI and forget about this node stuff.

Other than that I think this game is a sweet diversion from my regular game, which is WoW and Shroud of the Avatar.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    After reading this thread, I am wishing I could find a 7-day pass... I am so undecided about this game because of the gender lock and UI concerns, but a lot of you guys make it sound pretty decent.

Playing: Nothing
    Retired:Too many to list.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    BDO was well-received amongst those players that enjoy that type of game. No surprises there. A few new players have also discovered what it's like playing a more sandboxy game.

But it's certainly not a new blockbuster with millions of players. Nor will it ever be, but that's no doubt a good thing.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Hariken said:

flizzer said:

I guess at that point the solo-play stops and one is supposed to do what should be normal in a mmorpg: join a good guild.
    Don't do important stuff out there alone, get your friends with you. Still getting ganked? Declare war on the other guild. Kill it with fire and if it still lives kill it with death.

In other words: just play the game as it comes and don't cry about lost pixels.

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Beyond just being really pretty, many of the core concepts of the game are really well done without being punitive; e.g contribution points, crafting, housing, trading, markets; all while trying to keep Mr. Gold Seller at bay. I have been really pleasantly surprised. I was predisposed to write this off as another eastern grindfest; shame on me.

I am as a rule more of a PVE guy than a PVP guy simply in practice. I like team-oriented PVP; sieges and such but my biggest beef typically with open-world is you can't turn it off/or alternatively there aren't penalties for repeatedly ganking noobies. If BDO impliments, the systems in place on the Korean servers, that may get it done for me. In other words I don't want to PvP 100% of the time. I also like crafting, questing, etc.

Just to be clear, I have no issue keeping an eye out and having to exist in an open world environment; I just don't want to be gang raped over and over trying to respawn. Griefing should be unattractive and shouldn't involve the community or your guild having to constantly police either.

When I was younger, I was very active in martial arts and regularly competed by sparring (mostly point sparring vs. full contact) I enjoyed the challenge and winning a match was a validation of your skill and a reward for working hard. I wouldn't have enjoying repeatedly besting someone and just would have stopped if I had come to that. Continuing to beat someone wouldn't have been very sporting and I would have hoped the same were true if I were on the received end.

I see PvP the same way. Does that make me a Carebear? I don't think so. I think it makes me "Not a bully." I don't need to kick someone on the ground to feel good about myself nor do the majority of those that enjoy PvP. For the select few that like to engage in griefing 24/7 here's hoping that becomes unattractive for you. What usually turns me off isn't the PvP; it's the "MMO Police Duty."

"Hey guys, some asswipes are camping respawns. OK let's go over and do something about that."

"Hey, what did you do after work tonight? I killed guys camping respawns."

That's what will make me leave a couple months from now if the developers don't handle it and you won't hear me say "Baaaaah" once.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    IMO it is well received because obviously its a good mmo. But more importantly, the pros outweigh the cons. Cant say the same for many mmos out there.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Has it been?
  • Dragonsfire9Dragonsfire9 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Well if everyone is bitching a few months from now at least the majority of the posters are not bitching and moaning the second day after release as they were with TOR, ESO and AA. Definitely the game has its flaws and I am sure eventually it will reach a point where the flaws outweigh the fun but for right now I am enjoying myself. But then I am not rushing to max level and am enjoying all the game systems available.
  • jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    I tried BDO in their last Beta, and I had mixed feelings about the game. I felt that the game offers many unique aspects that are very complex and not carbon copies of so many other MMOs. I could have seen myself playing an MMO like this exclusively for years to come. But I found too many things that turned me off to the game.

1. The user interface felt so clunky. I felt like I needed to play this game with a game pad. There is so much going on at once. I could not get used to the quest tracker function, and also having to click in and out of access of using my mouse.

2. Grind spots had just boatloads of the same mobs. Having to kill the same mobs over and over and over, just to collect a low RNG quest item is not very immersive. Not to mention, everybody else playing the game is fighting for those same mob kills.

3. Gender/Age class locks killed it for me. I know that this is a very controvercial subject within the gaming world, but I am one of the many gamers who want to create a character that resembles myself. The only class that was possible in this game is 1 class (Warrior). Hopefully they will add more Male class choices for those who this also affected.

I really wanted to like this game, based on all of the great game systems. As someone else in this thread said, If a game like LOTRO utilized all of these great gaming aspects, everybody would be playing it. I would agree. I hope some of our current and upcoming MMOs realize how much the MMO community wants to play games with more depth and complexity.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Hariken said:

flizzer said:

Agreed, being saying that for awhile now, only to get attacked instantly.