Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Do You Think BDO Has Been So Well Received?

Comments

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    fs23otm said:
    BDO is good because the core ideas are solid...

Give people choices... 
    Make them earn it (work for it not just given)....
    Throw in a mix of activities to distract them...
    Make endgame about PVP...
    Nice statement and I agree. No game is perfect but at least the people running this game seem to try. I must admit I lean more towards PVP so I'm kinda in heaven playing this game. I also like to do completely nonsensical stuff that most people find boring. I love to explore and craft and do my own thing. If something feels grindy I stop and do something else and come back to it when I feel like it. I never rush and try to level or grind for gear so I can be first. That is the major mistake 90% of players make because frankly they are amateurs.

• clownst0pperclownst0pper Member UncommonPosts: 7

brihtwulf said:

It's Pearl Abyss, not Pear. Also, you used login instead of "log in" and into is questionable instead of "logging in to". The term is "log in", whereas login is something different. Anyway, someone should look closer when editing.

Looks fine to me?
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    DMKano said:
    Because the early game is done well.

Boredom doesnt set in until end game grind for PvE crowd.

PvP players will stick around, PvE players not so much.

Ya, but you have to PVE (a lot) to compete in PVP. Maybe I'm in the minority, but as someone who loves PVP, I absolutely hate that gear and level plays such a huge role in PVP. I don't want to spend the majority of my time doing PVE so I can stay caught up on gear and levels in PVP. That's no fun. I mean, yeah, it's fun to occasionally smash the undergeared PVP player, but that's not why I play PVP games. 
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited March 2016
    DMKano said:
    Because the early game is done well.

Boredom doesnt set in until end game grind for PvE crowd.

PvP players will stick around, PvE players not so much.

Unbeknownst to you, because not only are you not a PvE player but you are admittedly a rush to end game type, the same content, and more, that is available in the early game for PvE players is available for them at "end game," if there is such a thing in BDO.  If what you mean to say is that there are no dungeons or raid tread mills for +1 gear, then you are absolutely correct.  Only a person with a mind set that there is no "end game" unless it consists of the tired old mechanics like dungeons and raids would make such a statement. The fact that BDO doesn't have dungeons and/or raids is, in fact, just one of the many things that the developers of this exceptional game got right.  
  • Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Man I really wish I could share these views. I found the game absolutely awful. I would even go to a point of saying the worst mmo I have played in years. I'm edging on giving it another try but I just felt like there were gigantic mobs of enemies that made it seem stale. And the game just felt odd the whole time. Hard to explain it. Very happy for you folks who are enjoying it though. I hope updates turn out great!
  • CastranCastran Member UncommonPosts: 11
    "Why Do You Think BDO Has Been So Well Received?"

It has not actually. The playerbase dipped sharply after the first week.

Here are a few reasons players have stopped playing the game:

There is no end-game dungeons for PvE players. The end-game is that of arche-age where it is trade packs and pvp.

The interface was designed for consoles but when they scrapped that idea they didn't bother to fix their UI.

The combat is reminiscent of TERA, which wasn't great to begin with.

Yet another sellout article, but that's what $500 for positive media will get you.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Too early to tell if it is positively received.  Really need to wait until the honeymoon period is over.  At that time, the hype will be gone and people will have removed their rose colored new game glasses.

I self identify as a monkey.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    The fact it doesn't overlook simple things that are add up to a virtual world feeling.

In this department it's the opposite of SWTOR.

SWTOR heralded how much they spent on voice acting and cut scenes , while BDO has changing weather and an actual day and night cycle. Ones game world feels like a virtual world , the other feels like a static , on rails , series of zones.

Types of things like that are worth far , far , more than special snowflake cutscenes.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I enjoy games that promote freedom and while BDO is not entirely pve focused, it's better than having nothing to play.

Ps. God forbid you enjoy this game because it sucks! It's the worst game ever released! 

Even if I hated a game I would never write such bull crap. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but even if BDO was bad, it would still be hardly the worst game ever released.

• shellbelle2shellbelle2 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Great article...I have basically went from level 6 to level 26 doing trade runs...as of now I have zero interest in the PVP cause there is so much MORE to offer in this game than just pking. The ranking system is also great to get you motivated to continue to do one specific thing over and over....love it.
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    With a metascore of about 71 and user scores around 7, I dont think it was so well received as you might think o.O

Hodor!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    There is a level of quality there. Its combat is its own thing. Its not hard on the eyes. Nothing else worth playing right now unless your happy playing an MMO 4-10 years old. Masses will be looking for something new again in a few months.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited March 2016
    Castran said:
    "Why Do You Think BDO Has Been So Well Received?"

It has not actually. The playerbase dipped sharply after the first week.

Here are a few reasons players have stopped playing the game:

There is no end-game dungeons for PvE players. The end-game is that of arche-age where it is trade packs and pvp.

The interface was designed for consoles but when they scrapped that idea they didn't bother to fix their UI.

The combat is reminiscent of TERA, which wasn't great to begin with.

Yet another sellout article, but that's what $500 for positive media will get you.

I disagree to several points.

There is a thread about "playerbase dropping" and while "yes" there are players who try the game out because of friend codes and then drop, or just buy the game because they are "bored" (shivers) this game just isn't for everyone. I kind of wish people would just do their research but they just don't.

They then increased the server capacity. I think, again, it's important to note that this game really isn't for the person who was looking for what is now considered standard "level to cap and raid" people. ..

That brings us to the whole "there are no raids" statement. I love pve but in no way do I ever play raids. Raids are one type of pve but they don't define pve. The way they have pve in this game is "one type" of pve and one that many people prefer. I don't see this as being "an issue" with the type of game this is at the moment.

Additionally, there are "Boss Scrolls' where you can summon bosses and take them down in groups. I know that we do this in my guild. And of course, the new open world dungeons will be put into the game which is reminiscent of older games where you can grab a group and go in.

I do think that the interface could be better in some respects so I'll concede to that. 

Tera's combat is great and there are many people who prefer that type of combat.

Your last statement is a bit of a shame considering most of what you say is strong opinion and points more to this game not being your cup of tea.

Truth is there is a lot of excitement for this game and listening to guild members eagerly talking about fishing or horse breeding is a nice change of pace.

It's not perfect by a long shot but I don't know what game is.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Because they heard our cries.

Black Desert has saved us.

The haters still cant accept it. B)

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Yeah, I just hit lvl 34 yesterday and I haven't even scratched the surface of this game. It is amazing that I can do whatever I want w/o feeling like I'm 'sacrificing' progress. This game will be king of the genre... at least here in the west.
  • kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Ya, but you have to PVE (a lot) to compete in PVP. Maybe I'm in the minority, but as someone who loves PVP, I absolutely hate that gear and level plays such a huge role in PVP. I don't want to spend the majority of my time doing PVE so I can stay caught up on gear and levels in PVP. That's no fun. I mean, yeah, it's fun to occasionally smash the undergeared PVP player, but that's not why I play PVP games. 
    Join us in Street Fighter!
    and soon to come Tekken 7!

(no, this is not ironic).
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited March 2016
    I think BDO was "well-received" because its launch wasn't a sloppy mess like so many other MMOs (easiest and closest comparison:  Archeage).

It's like Archeage's launch with just the honeymoon and none of the stupidity (server crashes and queues, housing land grab, etc).  And missing the more glaring flaws that turned off lots of people right from the outset (labor points, P2W cash shop relatively speaking)

However, those who say "There's no rush!  Just explore/craft/enjoy/PvE without raids and dungeons!" are still in the honeymoon phase (but again, without the messy slop that came with a lot of launches recently).  It still remains to be seen whether those people will be singing that same tune a few months from now depending on when the exploring is done (game worlds sadly just aren't that big, usually, but maybe BDO's is different?), the crafting is involved in the gear people actually still want, and the PvEers are still enjoying themselves or PvE is simply not varied enough that within a few months, the PvEers have gotten bored of the same old PvE that never really changes (if BDO is like that.  Perhaps it isn't)

Truthfully what I've heard about Korea BDO makes me pessimistic on all those fronts and I suspect that eventually most of the crafters, explorers, and PvEers will have packed up for other games by then leaving just PvPers (which is why B2P was a prudent move by Daum), but hey, I could be wrong.  After all, those not enjoying the game tend to be more vocal than those enjoying the game in this genre.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Regardless, once you get to max level PVE types will be the sheep the wolves go after.  You will undoubtedly see an exodus of PVE players at this point. 
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Is the game challenging or is it pretty easy? From the Twitch streams I've seen, people are just mowing through mobs pretty quick, but I don't know if they are in areas right for their level.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited March 2016
    I think BDO was "well-received" because its launch wasn't a sloppy mess like so many other MMOs (easiest and closest comparison:  Archeage).

It's like Archeage's launch with just the honeymoon and none of the stupidity (server crashes and queues, housing land grab, etc).  And missing the more glaring flaws that turned off lots of people right from the outset (labor points, P2W cash shop relatively speaking)

However, those who say "There's no rush!  Just explore/craft/enjoy/PvE without raids and dungeons!" are still in the honeymoon phase (but again, without the messy slop that came with a lot of launches recently).  It still remains to be seen whether those people will be singing that same tune a few months from now depending on when the exploring is done (game worlds sadly just aren't that big, usually, but maybe BDO's is different?), the crafting is involved in the gear people actually still want, and the PvEers are still enjoying themselves or PvE is simply not varied enough that within a few months, the PvEers have gotten bored of the same old PvE that never really changes (if BDO is like that.  Perhaps it isn't)

Truthfully what I've heard about Korea BDO makes me pessimistic on all those fronts and I suspect that eventually most of the crafters, explorers, and PvEers will have packed up for other games by then leaving just PvPers (which is why B2P was a prudent move by Daum), but hey, I could be wrong.  After all, those not enjoying the game tend to be more vocal than those enjoying the game in this genre.
    Breaking this game down into PvP and PvE is really doing it a disservice.  I haven't PvP'd yet and I PvE maybe 10% of the time.  It's much more about gathering, crafting, housing, farming, trades runs and character building somewhat unrelated to PvP or PvE.  It is remarkable how many things this game has in it that people have been crying for on these forums for years(dark nights alone should have most of this forum doing backflips, after all the threads I used to see bitching about them not being present in games).   And unless you are someone that hates all things that aren't PvP or PvE, you are very likely to have a damn good time with the game.

Edit:  To JayFive above.  The PvE is pretty easy.  But if you enjoy non combat stuff you can't go wrong with this game at $30 no sub required.
  • BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    edited March 2016
    1. Given there are not many open world sandbox MMOs on the market right now, even less that would resemble BDO, it is difficult to establish a base of comparison. Unlike traditional themepark MMOs where they are pretty much always compared to the benchmark that is WoW.

2. BDO does bring some fresh air into the MMO genre. While certain components in BDO may not be completely novel, the fact that it combines all these things to make one single game is something that has never been done before. It takes various ideas from other games, twist it a bit, mash them together to form this game.

3. The graphic is a big selling point. Though some people may not want to admit that graphic matters, saying it's the gameplay, what's on the inside blah blah. It certainly does in many cases, and deep down they know it. Praising the graphics of a game is like eating a bag of chips in church, everyone looks at you in disgust but deep down they all want a bite.

4. The game is solo friendly. Unlike most MMOs out there, BDO can be enjoyed to it's fullest extent by playing solo. There are no compulsory group activities that would bar players from unlocking certain game contents. So for loners (including yours truly) can have fun in the game without being punished for their play style.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    flizzer said:
    Regardless, once you get to max level PVE types will be the sheep the wolves go after.  You will undoubtedly see an exodus of PVE players at this point. 
    Lol yeah this is so true. I say a couple of months from now. It will be fun to come here and see what people think then.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Love hate relationship with the combat system. I want to think it feels different, but it really reminds me of Mortal Combat, Tekken, or DCUO.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Is the game challenging or is it pretty easy? From the Twitch streams I've seen, people are just mowing through mobs pretty quick, but I don't know if they are in areas right for their level.
    I think part of the game play "is" mowing through mobs. 

If one is leveling on light red or red mobs (or purples in a group?) and taking on quite a few then there could be a bit of challenge.

I know I've died a few times while we were pulling quite a few trolls and I would get caught in the middle. It's a lot of fun and fast paced.

I also think there is a disconnect with people who think that pve is "one mob at a time". Since mobs are in essence "the fuel" that helps you level combat, they are made to be beaten. They aren't mini bosses (in any game really except maybe much older games?) 

The fun is gathering up groups of mobs, preferably higher level and making sure you don't get killed.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Because labor points being tied into 90% of the game like AA has makes people want to jump ship, especially since BDO is pretty much like AA with less of that.