Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Tip of the Iceberg is Huge

Comments

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    I'm having a similar experience, still only lvl 15 as i have spent hours trying to work out the economic side of the game.

I'm pretty confused by it all and loving it :)

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• ballisticknife0ballisticknife0 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Overhyped game is overhyped.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    But doesn't that apply to every game?

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285

Iselin said:

@BillMurphy ;

Heidel huge and confusing... :)

You owe it to yourself to just take a side trip to Calpheon. Even though it's in a level 35+ area it's perfectly safe to go there for a visit using roads. A couple of ways to do it: it's due west of Heidel so just start heading that way go through the mountain fort and follow the roads west. Or from Olvia, take the western road and once past the mountains, start heading south,

My first visit to Calpheon was mind blowing. The feel and scope of the place is awe inspiring. I can't think of many cities in other MMOs that feel as genuinely fantasy medieval as Calpheon. I went there with a purpose the first time: to get my Yuria staff from the amity vendor who sells it once you have 500 amity with him. That took me through the middle of the most authentic-feeling marketplace I've ever seen.

Just take a break from your other endeavors. Let your workers have a holiday and abstain from swilling beer for a few hours and just head over there. I'm interested in hearing what your first impression is.

PS. The other main utilitarian reason besides the Yuria weapons to head to Calpheon is to leave one of your alts parked at the library. You know the knowledge you unlock from fighting mobs? The quality of that knowledge (C being the lowest) is the main determining factor on whether or not you get enhancement stone drops from that type of mob. The main librarian in Calpheon lets you reset the C knowledge back to nothing so you can try again and hope for a better result.

This makes me want to try it. It sounds like this game world is what I very much enjoy, but I think I have been hesitant because of time. I still have Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity to finish. How big is this world compared to ESO or GW2? Vanguard?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    It's actually amazing how underhyped this game actually is.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    perrin82 said:

This makes me want to try it. It sounds like this game world is what I very much enjoy, but I think I have been hesitant because of time. I still have Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity to finish. How big is this world compared to ESO or GW2? Vanguard?
    I really can't say how big it is. But I do know that distance is relative to how you travel. There is no teleportation of any sort in the game so it feels big although I think ESO and Vanguard were both larger land masses objectively. Also, the scale of things and places feels extremely authentic: villages, small cities and large ones all seem proportionately the size they should be.

We're also just playing in the original area. The KR version has more than doubled the world size with the Mediah and Valencia 1 updates... and Valencia 2 is getting there soon.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Attarik said:
    I just don't get the fascination with this game, the combat is generic, the classes are both gender locked and determine what you can look like, the cash shop is unbelievably overpriced and no matter how much there is to do its all mostly fishing by bots or boring grinding.

The games complexities seem to go over most peoples heads from what I've seen because they only focus on the parts of the game they can understand, and don't see anything different going on.  Its the parts people don't  understand that make this game so unique.

I've played just about every MMO out there and I've never played one like this.  But if you just run around killing grass beetles, stare at AFK fisherman and browse the cash shop I can see how you came to your conclusion.

Its not the best MMO ever but to say its generic is simply foolish.

• mythlemnmythlemn Member CommonPosts: 1

Attarik said:

I just don't get the fascination with this game, the combat is generic, the classes are both gender locked and determine what you can look like, the cash shop is unbelievably overpriced and no matter how much there is to do its all mostly fishing by bots or boring grinding.

Not rushing to defend BDO or anything but I'm genuinely curious as to your statement of "generic combat", what in your opinion is NOT generic combat?

Again, I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion or anything I'm just curious at where your setting the bar.
  • blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144
    edited March 2016
    Maybe I am wrong, but I was under the impression that "I was forced to walk around with a pack to build a stat" is only so you can carry more weight. This is an "option" for everyone. I get +2 to my LT (max weight allowed to carry before I get speed debuffs) every time it levels. Considering it starts at 320ish, I hardly think you are forced to do it.

I see it as an option if you want to be able to carry more. It doesn't have anything to do with classes specifically, does it?
    Oh and btw I too am enjoying the game very much. I normally do not craft in games, but I like most of they extra systems this game has and the depth they provide.
    blbeta said:
    Maybe I am wrong, but I was under the impression that "I was forced to walk around with a pack to build a stat" is only so you can carry more weight. This is an "option" for everyone. I get +2 to my LT (max weight allowed to carry before I get speed debuffs) every time it levels. Considering it starts at 320ish, I hardly think you are forced to do it.

I see it as an option if you want to be able to carry more. It doesn't have anything to do with classes specifically, does it?
    That's right. Building up strength is only for the weight limit. The other two however, breath which improves your stamina by running and health that levels up your HP from eating food do have fighting implications. Stamina more for some classes than others and health for everyone.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594

Attarik said:

You just summed up 99% of mmorpgs in my opinion :)

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441

mmrv said:

Attarik said:

I have a couple friends like you. Believe it or not the problem lies with you. I am not sure why people like you even play MMORPG's and I am pretty sure you dont either. You clearly just don't like these type of games so stop playing them and you can quite whining.

The combat is generic? In what manner? I mean what are you expecting from combat how can it possibly be "not generic" this isnt tab target, you get wildly powerful abilties to slay hoardes of monsters. Your complaint would be like stating "I dont get why people like the division the combat is generic, you get guns and shoots stuff" it doesnt even make sense.

The cash shop is expensive? lol ok it is but that has NOTHING to do with playing the game and there is NOTHING you need from the cash shop so why even mention it as an issue? You are a clown.

There are no "fishing bots" the game lets you afk fish, kinda even makes sense in real life fishing is literally an afk hobby you sit there staring at the water waiting for hours sometimes for a bite...

and your last joke of a complaint "boring grinding" its only boring grinding if you make it boring grinding? look up your leveling guide on line, follow it from little best grind per level to little best grind spot for the nest 5 levels....ya it will be boring because you make these games boring because you dont actually play the games. you just research everything online from what class you choose to every location you bee line too for the fastest possible leveling and then you complain the game is boring?

Again get over yourself and just stop playing mmorpgs they are clearly not for you if that is your mindset of "playing these games" rush to level cap mashout end game to get max level and gear then sit and be moan there is nothing to do...you dont play the games right because you dont enjoy these types of games. So just stop playing MMO's they offer nothing for you. I am enjoy brisk leveling etc... but yet i am level 38 only , and find myself wandering around doing all of these quests that can bread crumb me around the area for hours and hours barely budging my exp bar.... and my friends like you say " yeah those quests are all useless they don't give you anything" no they dont give YOU anything, they give me hours of entertainment, because i enjoy the class i picked, I enjoy exploring areas reading the little quests watching the cut scenes, and seeing all of the other "abstract ways" my character progresses improve. I havent even scrratched the surface of stuff like building a raft to explore islands, i dont even have a horse yet lol.

man, you just took the words right out of my mouth, this post was so IDIOTIC, I just could not muster words to express the MMO tards we have to deal with nowadays

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• UrncallerUrncaller Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I also make it a point to use all that extra energy I have before logging out for the night by gathering some mats with my gathering tools as well so my workers are not just doing that themselves... But yes loving the game only 34 as of yesterday but taking my time I see no rush to hit the current end game content....

Rather take it all in and by time I reach that content hopefully the new content the East has already we will then have then.
  • chilltime99chilltime99 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Bill, you've said it time and time again...games need systems in place in order to keep players (like me) interested. Well, this game certainly has enough systems to potentially hold my interest for a while.

To me, the game isn't a grind. I can choose to grind if I want to. However, there are so many different activities to enjoy, it doesn't feel like a chore.

I've been playing since head start, and I'm just level 17. I don't have the luxury of long play periods, like i used to, but my time in the game is fulfilling. The fact that my character can be productive by doing certain activities while AFK is a big plus since my playtime is limited.

I can only speak for myself, but this game has revitalized the genre, at least for the time being. It may get stale, or I may not like the elder game. But for now, I'm having fun. There's so much to explore and so much to learn.
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

fed79 said:

It's worth $30 for sure but the pay2win elements that really drop in the end game just leave a bad taste. Others like it and all power to them, but I know already this game won't last for me.

This game is 100% not pay2win.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    edited March 2016
    I am in exactly the same boat as Bill

level 21, played every day for hours, have 6 characters between levels 14-21.  Have each node unlocked, and just finished purchasing EVERY house from Oliva and all the nodes/farms to Velia.  Got 5/12 in Velia, and the way things are going I probably wont move on from there til I have all my houses as well

got 5 workers running, cooking at Apprentice 7, gathering A5, Fishing A9, Trading A4, Processing B9, havent even started breeding, farming or whatever else I am missing

I have max amity on every villager I come across so far as well, (even the ones with no rewards in case they add later)  I have 26 (100k) gold bars in bank, and hardly even think of killing mobs.  

My next goal (after reading this thread) is to get an alt to Cephelon so I can start getting S's on all my knowledge.

I absolutely zero rush
  • MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Level 22 Witch here, yesterday I joined a Guild, we gathered on a boat for a Guild pic then 10 of us rode the boat to various nodes gaining knowledge, tho to me it was just fun being a part of something I didn't gain any exp and didn't even fight anything but I had a great time! That is why this game is great, you don't need to level to have fun you just play!

Mystery Bounty

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171
    BD is just a tech version of Farmvill. Still dont understand why would ppl love to sit in one spot and fish or make barns, farms, cattle.........
    This game is pure Communism 1 - 0 - 1 :D
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    I just built a "ferry" and it turned out to be this really crappy slow rowboat. Much disappoint -10/10 :P
  • CaeruleiCaerulei Member UncommonPosts: 33
    The amount of attention to detail in this game is astounding.
    shalissar said:
    I just built a "ferry" and it turned out to be this really crappy slow rowboat. Much disappoint -10/10 :P
    Lol. That has to be one of the worst translations in the game... I saw the word ferry, looked at the NPC one that services the Velia dock and thought "Yeah, I want one."

Luckily for me by the time I started building it I already knew it was a rowboat. Fishing boat is what you want but hey, the rowboat is 5 times faster than that raft :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Does it have good group-play or is it another one of those solo based MMOs?
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Pala said:
    Does it have good group-play or is it another one of those solo based MMOs?

There is virtually no group content to speak of - just PVP sieges and couple world bosses.
  • fed79fed79 Member UncommonPosts: 31

Bruhza said:

fed79 said:

It's worth $30 for sure but the pay2win elements that really drop in the end game just leave a bad taste. Others like it and all power to them, but I know already this game won't last for me.

This game is 100% not pay2win.

Actually it is 100% pay2win, not sure why people want to deny facts, I didn't even say it as a negative, it's just not for me. Aside from the items that have stats that can only be purchased from the shop, there is a resurrection item that you can buy that negates the penalties of death. In end game where pvp is turned on and levelling is much slower, the normal penalty of XP loss is negated as long as you have this item with you. Just read the forums.
    This game has a lot of great content and worth $30 but more people will encounter the pay2win elements as they reach endgame. This game was good enough that it could have done well without them but such is life.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited March 2016
    Who cares if you can buy stats, you can buy an item (the ghillie suit) that allows players to hide their nameplate, guild affiliation, and even obscure their class. In an MMO, this sort of thing is imperative, especially one where you can't actually "target" a person to manually make a determination. Like so many things in BDO, its poorly thought out.