Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GDC 2016 - Hands On Preview of Brad McQuaid's Magnum Opus

Comments

• xeturaxetura Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited March 2016
    I'm pretty excited about this game. MMO's nowadays are nothing but PvP focused zerg-fests with no thought or thinking required. Everyone wants to go 1000000mph and the social aspect gets lost because everyone can solo to level cap in a day and then bitch because there isn't content. It started going downhill with WoW and all its hand holding and making everyone feel special like their mom's told them they are. God forbid fights actually require players to have a defined role, play their role well and strategize. Hopefully this game works out, because it would be nice to have an mmo worth playing in this day and age of twitchy zergfests. Something more akin to pen & paper, not Call of Doody.
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    edited March 2016

xetura said:

I'm pretty excited about this game. MMO's nowadays are nothing but PvP focused zerg-fests with no thought or thinking required. Everyone wants to go 1000000mph and the social aspect gets lost because everyone can solo to level cap in a day and then bitch because there isn't content. It started going downhill with WoW and all its hand holding and making everyone feel special like their mom's told them they are. God forbid fights actually require players to have a defined role, play their role well and strategize. Hopefully this game works out, because it would be nice to have an mmo worth playing in this day and age of twitchy zergfests. Something more akin to pen & paper, not Call of Doody.

The problem is though soon as the game comes out the forums will fill with whiners and bitchers trying to change the game non-stop and unless the devs have some balls they will listen they always do........
  • ironeagle76ironeagle76 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Nothing like this since classic EQ 20 years ago. In a way it's like something new again. There is a whole generation that never played a true social pve mmo. If you want action based mmo try Blackdesert, I tried was bored in days. If you like WoW there are plenty of new mmo to play and chase ! and ? npc's.

Nothing had mimiced EQ ever, we have project99 and most fans of this type of MMO welcome Pantheon so far. Ill even take their current animations if it shows the promise of that video.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited March 2016
    I was glad when Brad McQuaid left the scene after the Vanguard fiasco and gave him many verbal kicks in the butt on his way out.
    Then in recent years the market has been so unsatifying to me that i'm somewhat glad he's back making an mmorpg.

I hope he got over these personal problems that affected the development of Vanguard and this whole deal turns out well this time.
    To me personally the game looks like a clunky 2007 title and i don't really see it's chance on the market. But i guess in the long run fans of the genre will have to get used to the indie approach. It's like the big western studios are about to lose interest in making AAA mmorpgs and rather go for hybrids, MOBAs, card games or mobile stuff.

It is good that there are still indie studios that are not afraid to make mmorgs and even with their relatively few resources they are contributing more to keep the genre alive than i.e. Blizzard milking the sheep with their Xth uninspired addon.

• jimm0thyjimm0thy Member UncommonPosts: 3

Nothing like this since classic EQ 20 years ago. In a way it's like something new again. There is a whole generation that never played a true social pve mmo. If you want action based mmo try Blackdesert, I tried was bored in days. If you like WoW there are plenty of new mmo to play and chase ! and ? npc's.

Nothing had mimiced EQ ever, we have project99 and most fans of this type of MMO welcome Pantheon so far. Ill even take their current animations if it shows the promise of that video.

The placeholder stock models and animations were on the bad side, but man I would take them if the game turns out to be as fun as the twitch stream made it look.

I don't think some people realize how much social interaction adds to the game world as a whole. Back in EQ there were people you would know simply from them talking in chat, or by grouping up. You'd look for friends when first coming online, and the reputation you built and others had changed your game play.

WoW has killed this off with their cross-server dungeon finder that the modern mmo's seem to follow with. Honestly most of them at this point shouldn't even be classified as mmo's but instead MSORPG (massively singleplayer online role playing game)
  • xeturaxetura Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited March 2016

jimm0thy said:

The placeholder stock models and animations were on the bad side, but man I would take them if the game turns out to be as fun as the twitch stream made it look.

I don't think some people realize how much social interaction adds to the game world as a whole. Back in EQ there were people you would know simply from them talking in chat, or by grouping up. You'd look for friends when first coming online, and the reputation you built and others had changed your game play.

WoW has killed this off with their cross-server dungeon finder that the modern mmo's seem to follow with. Honestly most of them at this point shouldn't even be classified as mmo's but instead MSORPG (massively singleplayer online role playing game)

Exactly. EQ required player interaction. You want to go into a dungeon, but need faster mana regen, or a strength buff? Advertise in /ooc that you're looking for *insert buff here*, willing to pay X. No use in modern mmo's. Everyone is self-reliant and don't have time to interact or group with anyone and if they do, as soon as they get what they came for, they're gone. You're in a dungeon and you get wiped? Hey, there's another group incoming. They can probably rez us. This gets lost in the shitty norm in modern mmo's known as isntances. The dungeon-queue-finder is such a pile of shit as well and completely destroys exploring and interacting with other players. Same with fast travel.
  • BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81

I have high hopes for this one, just hope this game does not have slow & clunky combat. Old style MMORPG'S are fine, but leave out the horrible bits plz ;)

But please also no ridiculous over the top action combat for THIS game, its an mmorpg not an mmofps!!! There are so many mmorpgfps's out there right now, we don't need another.

If i want more action combat ill go play some tera, gw2, b&s, bdo, etc etc...

• LayenemLayenem Member CommonPosts: 6
    edited March 2016
    Honestly. I've supported McQuaid since EQ1... like... avidly. He's GREAT at converting design documents INTO a game... but creating a game from scratch?

No. Absolutely not.

He's proven time and time again that it takes more than one person to make an amazing game and it seems as if people think he's going to single-handedly create another classic...

We saw the stream. It just so happened to take place in the exact same place they had 18 months ago. With the same character models they had 18 months ago. LIKELY the same combat basics they had 18 months ago. So... you're telling me they went silent for 18 MONTHS and produced what? This? EQ1 II?

EVEN THEN IT ISN'T REALLY EQ1!!!

They said they are using a trinity system... WHAT!? Lazy development much? Seriously. A half baked combat system is the LAZIEST development you could possibly have. Include the five major roles or don't even bother. GAMERS ARE SICK AND TIRED OF HALF-ASSED GAMES AND SYSTEMS, BRAD!!!

No. Seriously.

You want to know why games like Sacrament pop up and push hard for creation? Because time and time again developers show they don't know shit about the gamers.

You weren't planning raids at launch? NOW you're planning raids? So you're going to either steal the concepts and designs from another game or you're going to delay because raids should be mechanic driven, and not the same mechanic in every raid (here's looking at YOU "one-shot mechanic" WildStar and "DPS race mechanic" SWTOR). Forget about that for a second... YOU WEREN'T GOING TO HAVE ANY RAIDS!?

No Bards or Necromancers? HUH!? These have been in demand for 15 years now and you just... thought... gamers didn't want it?

I get it. Developers spend so much time making games that they don't know what people actually want. So the question, really, is why do gamers keep letting developers treat them like third-world citizens?

1) Developers are not gods and they most definitely do not know best.

2) MOST TIMES developers don't understand anything about their game, just how it was "intended" and how it was made.

3) People believe it takes experienced developers to create a "successful" MMO.

Those are our top three problems in this market. The beauty of these problems is that gamers like me, who have been playing since EQ1, are mostly out of the industry. The majority of us left because they just assumed it was a lost cause. More new gamers come into the industry every year that don't understand that games are being made to generate money and NOT to entertain so the cycle may never end. EA has proven this time and time again...

And no. I'm not ashamed to have added in the game I'm involved in making right now.
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    What I am looking forward to in Patheon is real PVE so not just kill 10 rats like the guys were laughing about in their youtube livestream the other day. So the game will be a modern slant on old style EQI and Vanguard imo. Where you will have to fight against the area you are in as this will affects some of spells or and abilities too.
    The other major factor for me is they are trying to make it so that the community has to work together as a team and not so much on a solo basis which other MMO's have gone towards. This game has a long way to go with the small team they have working on it but as least they are passionate and have a vision.
    The other thing is this team are no shrinking violets by any means so don't expect them to make any major changes to the whining idiots who think they know it all, they will build this game on their past experience they have in this industry.
    Like comments from above whining about the harsh death penalty get used to it as this will be a major part of the game you will have to play carefully and not gung ho to survive in this game. The other thing is this game is not even in alpha yet so the numbers you see in their livestream video is subject to change.

Asbo

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    edited March 2016
    From what I've seen on Twitch and from reading this is, really, EQ1 Next. :) Still curious about multicolored mana. And looks like they pushed EQ's idea of quests much further. Melike.
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    edited March 2016

Concur.

Things is they taking it to the whole new level instead of just changing it completely or going somewhere else. IMO that what EQ2 should have been, that's why a lot of people was so crazy about EQ2 before it launched and that's why said game never achieved success original Everquest had - it never tried to take EQ to next level, it changed the game leaving some similarities.

Anyway, I hope they'll ahieve what they aim for. I am seriously considering pre-order. I know, ain't big deal, but usually I don't buy stuff... prematurely. :)

On a side note I have no idea why people so negative about MMORPGs in general and this one in particular. I don't mind another Everquest with modern graphics to play. From what we know so far they implement much more into the game, we read the article. Maybe all those gamers depressed or something?

Also, did not find Black Desert all that boring, but that's me. Lot of grind, though. Korean, duh. :)
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    It sticks out to me that neither of those examples of a climate system seem to have anything to do with climate.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Can't wait, so glad I backed!
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Gdemami said:

Gdemami said:

Depends on whether the crafting system will be good.

By "good" you actually mean "I like", do you?

They are not the same tho...

No. I mean will it be collect X items and push a button or will it be a minigame type thing or a hybrid or what? Just a simple inquiry. Some people just like to craft. If I do not like the system in place who cares? I am just curious what it will be like. Fair question. I did pay money to Pantheon and I do support it.

Ok, so you mean "I like"...well, that does not make the system "good".

lol OK mate Cheers! *smh*

What you think is good != good for everyone, that's what he's saying. You don't want something "good" you want something you like.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Volgore said:
    I was glad when Brad McQuaid left the scene after the Vanguard fiasco and gave him many verbal kicks in the butt on his way out.
    Then in recent years the market has been so unsatifying to me that i'm somewhat glad he's back making an mmorpg.

I hope he got over these personal problems that affected the development of Vanguard and this whole deal turns out well this time.
    To me personally the game looks like a clunky 2007 title and i don't really see it's chance on the market. But i guess in the long run fans of the genre will have to get used to the indie approach. It's like the big western studios are about to lose interest in making AAA mmorpgs and rather go for hybrids, MOBAs, card games or mobile stuff.

It is good that there are still indie studios that are not afraid to make mmorgs and even with their relatively few resources they are contributing more to keep the genre alive than i.e. Blizzard milking the sheep with their Xth uninspired addon.
    The thing about MMOs is not every one has to fit every player....Before WoW many of the games were niche....IF I want great graphics and easy gameplay there are tons of those...I dont mind slower combat and not as great graphics...What many of us are looking for is a return to the gameplay we had before WoW came around.
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    edited March 2016
    Nanfoodle said:
    Liked what I saw for the most part. Little concerned the fact the people who made the game died so much and they had an exp loss on the death penalty. Seems to harsh for low level as most convenience abilities are not in there at low level, like res, teleport and corpse summons. IMO this will drive off to many players and stop people from taking risks to learn the game. I think there is enough challenges in the game as is, exp loss on the death penalty needs to be rethought.
    I'm sorry but I don't agree. When Everquest released I believe if I remember correctly, at level 6 or 7 you got a huge warning sign that said you would now start losing xps. Lets hope they will stay true to that design. People will learn and really think twice before they go wandering off exploring. This will give players the feeling of fear, excitement etc, all at the same time, just like it did back in 1999.

So, no hand holding please. This game is supposed to be old school and I can't wait!
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Being a lover of Vanguard I really hope they finish this by next year.Left Vanguard in 2010 so I have not played an MMO since then.Hope Brad does a really good job for the fans of this type of game and I also hope this game improves his reputation after what happened with Vanguard.One can only hope they have complex crafting system like Vanguard as well.That was a game in itself.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Dystopiq said:

This reads like a sponsored post. The environment looked great but that combat was just so slow. Nowadays we have the tech to support more intuitive combat.

Yes, this might as well have been a sponsored post.

MMORPG.com has been doing that for years.

They have to be "nice" to the producers of such games, and not ask any annoying questions like: "Since you don't really have much in the way of funding going forward, do you expect this game to release before 2023?."

Since writers must "maintain a good relationship" with the company to get "access" to all of the stuff that was shown here, they must tow the company line, without disclosing such, or they will lose access.

This is why no one with a working braincell trusts anything the "gaming press" has to say any more.

(Plus, it will cost advertising dollars later, to say anything negative about a pre-release product now.)
  • OscillateOscillate Member UncommonPosts: 239

Nanfoodle said:

Liked what I saw for the most part. Little concerned the fact the people who made the game died so much and they had an exp loss on the death penalty. Seems to harsh for low level as most convenience abilities are not in there at low level, like res, teleport and corpse summons. IMO this will drive off to many players and stop people from taking risks to learn the game. I think there is enough challenges in the game as is, exp loss on the death penalty needs to be rethought.

Exp loss for death is fine. Game isn't going to be for everyone. Brad has stated this thousands and thousands of times. Stay playing WoW if you want easy.

(Akiraosc)

• OscillateOscillate Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Most people here are new to mmorpgs, can tell it just from reading their responses to this. This game is for the old school. You guys are getting Legion this fall. This one is for the adults :)

(Akiraosc)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

Volgore said:

...What many of us are looking for is a return to the gameplay we had before WoW came around.

Yeah, definitely. I am just hoping as they are trying to bring back the good of the old times, they don't bring back all the bad that everyone wanted to get away from to start with.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Gdemami said:

lol OK mate Cheers! *smh*

Yeah, lol indeed.

It is astonoshing how many people here cannot understand the difference. Mind boggling.

You do realize he was just choosing not to argue with you. He didn't actually say "you won". He just decided to bow out because it wasn't worth his time to argue the point.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

xetura said:

The problem is though soon as the game comes out the forums will fill with whiners and bitchers trying to change the game non-stop and unless the devs have some balls they will listen they always do........

I doubt they will cave in.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche