Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rob Irving (Former Lead Designer of Star Citizen) interview - admits Escapists article is true

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    2-4 peak players?

Ok, I apologize.

Mommy, daddy, someone at Escapist, and Smart ;)
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    dsmart said:
    seeing as I started this campaign of awareness back in July 2015.

I had to look you up because you and your games are insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

So it doesn't look like a campaign of awareness but a campaign of bitter jealousy. 

Stay classy though!
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    DKLond said:
    Sure, the creator of Wing Commander has no video game cred compared to Matt Barton.

I hope his PhD isn't the "Smart" version of said accolade ;)
    who is Matt Barton?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

SEANMCAD said:
    DKLond said:
    Sure, the creator of Wing Commander has no video game cred compared to Matt Barton.

who is Matt Barton?
    Didn't he play football a few years ago? Or was that his brother Joey...
    edited March 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:
    DKLond said:

Do something productive instead of this slow and embarassing public self-destruction.
    He's not even addressing you. Why don't you settle down.
    He's spreading lies and misinformation out of an obvious and purely self-serving motive.

I respond accordingly.

That's why.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited March 2016
    dsmart said:
    JohnP0100 said:
    The legend is true...
    If you say Derek Smart 3 times, he DOES APPEAR! AMIGAWD! 
    heh yeah, this popped up in my Google Alerts feed when it first appeared. But seeing as I have curbed back on engaging Shitizens, I didn't post. Then, right on cue, they started with the mentioning of LOD and Derek Smart again. You know, right when they're up against the ropes like scared rats with nowhere to go. Sad thing is, those who have seen, played, own LOD - and SC - are laughing their asses off that these dimwits continue to compare a WORKING indie game with a $110M train-wreck of a tech demo.

It's a glorious thing to watch. The inevitable collapse is coming; and we will all remember these threads. Thing is, these anon clowns will once again scurry back into obscurity. We will be here: laughing our asses off.
    SC may as you say go down in flames.. Your game may win the race, yet after looking at your Steam page... I'm not sure that should be where your mind is at presently. Regardless of how SC does, it won't change what I'm seeing on steam right now. Only you can do that..

Wait let me guess that's those pesky citizens doing, isn't it?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    dsmart said:
    And.... 

- the game is no longer making $3M per month. In fact, across both free fly events, and the last ship sale, their funding has flat-lined.
    Well, if you call around 2.5 M$ per month in the last two months  "flat-lined"....   

After reaching 5.37 M$ in November, and not much less in October and December 2015.

Yep, poor poor "flatlining" Star Citizen.

Have fun
    DKLond said:
    2-4 peak players?

Ok, I apologize.

Mommy, daddy, someone at Escapist, and Smart ;)
    Nah, we know that one of the four was a GameStar journalist named Benjamin Danneberg ;-)

And he was not too fond of the game as he wrote in the GameStar  magazine and website.

Not too fond.... like the other 86 % of 141 user reviews of LOD  (Steam Review: "Very negative")

Have fun
    SEANMCAD said:
    DKLond said:

who is Matt Barton?
    Didn't he play football a few years ago? Or was that his brother Joey...
    no wait i think he is a movie star like Board Identity or something like that

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Realizer said:

dsmart said:
    Talonsin said:
    DKLond said:
    Talonsin said:

I dont know if you saw the video but Chris has a hard time even PLAYING his own game.  Chris is the "idea" guy.  I dont know if you understand what CEO's do but the CEO of a hospital does not contribute a "significant" amount of time to the patients.  In fact, he doesnt devote any time to actual patients.
    The core of the physics engine/flight model, for one.

I also think you are wrong about this.  According to Star Citizen videos, Pete Mackay is the flight model game designer and John Pritchett is the physics programmer.  If as you say Chris did all this significant work then why have these two guys on staff and doing the video when we all know Chris loves to be in the videos.

Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15031-Star-Citizen-Alpha-20-Flight-Model-Changeshttp://

Bottom line is you have NO proof or evidence to support your claim that Chris has done a "significant" part of the coding.  You just have your opinion that you so desperately want to be right.  Its actually kind of sad how you struggle against the facts and revert to name calling.
    I know for a fact that this is false. From what I know - from people who were there and still there - Chris's "contributions" in terms of gamedev, is like comparing a script kiddie to the guy who writes the operating system.

NOTE: Anyone who watched his impromptu attempt to play his own game, have all the answers they need to this question.

Just ignore him. It's their usual I-want-to-believe revisionist bullshit.
     I'm definitely not going to say Roberts had any part of writing actual code for SC, but "inside information" doesn't mean much from the guy who said that "super computers" were being used for SC onstage demos, and who also said that CryEngine could somehow utilize "16" cpu cores. 

By the way Derek, when is LOD official launch? You said the game was done back in October. Also, would you mind letting us know who the next "target for truth" is going to be after Roberts? I want to start doing my homework now. 
    You know I have a quick question. Derek Smart whom many of the SC anti-fans champion, has an unfinished, and much maligned game on Steam Early Access right now. In another thread many of you same posters joined in to crucify Adrian Banniga for accepting kickstarter [sorry brainfart] Steam Early Access money for what became an unfinished and much maligned game. While I know Smart founded the game on private investment money, now that the game is on sale on Steam Early Access, I fail to see a difference between either games as both people are accepting money for unfinished products that are in a pretty rough state. If one is considered fraud and theft, why not the other.

And keep in mind I don't consider what either is doing to be fraud or theft as no one is holding a gun to anybodies head and making them buy into either game. I'm just confused at the disparity why one developer is championed while the other is demonized.

Thoughts?
    1) You don't know jack shit about my business.

2) I have never - ever - taken "private investment money" at my company, for any game. LOD is no different. I own my company and my games 100%, and continue to fund them 100% by me and from sales of prior works. That's what being in business for almost THREE DECADES gets you.

3) The "much maligned" game you're talking about, is more of a game NOW than Star Shitizen will ever be. Plus, like ALL my games, it WILL be finished and DELIVERED exactly as promised; regardless of who likes it or doesn't.

4) The game being in Early Access is not about money or it would be cheaper to get in. Get your facts right. And nobody asked anyone to buy it. And I'm certainly not selling JPEG of ships (which may or may not end up as designed and paid for by backers).

5) Comparing the current state of LOD to SC is more obnoxious thing that I keep reading. This despite the fact that while SC is still a tech demo, LOD currently has over 90% of it's features completed; and working. But since YOU guys brought it up, enjoy. This is LOD as it is TODAY, RIGHT NOW.

http://lodmmo.com/galleries/16-03-15/

It always warms my heart when you say Star Citizen, cultists lose their collective minds and say "Derek Smart" or "Line Of Defense". As if comparing an indie effort to a $110M "game", built by a team that was over 500 at one point, is somehow worthy of discussion.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

dsmart said:

It always warms my heart when you say Star Citizen, cultists lose their collective minds and say "Derek Smart" or "Line Of Defense". As if comparing an indie effort to a $110M "game", built by a team that was over 500 at one point, is somehow worthy of discussion.

or that the remaining people who still on these forums that remotely support this project after the trolls have trolled them away even know who this person is. When I ask 'who is this person' I litterally have no idea who he is or care

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited March 2016
    dsmart said:
    1) You don't know jack shit about my business.

2) I have never - ever - taken "private investment money" at my company, for any game. LOD is no different. I own my company and my games 100%, and continue to fund them 100% by me and from sales of prior works. That's what being in business for almost THREE DECADES gets you.

3) The "much maligned" game you're talking about, is more of a game NOW than Star Shitizen will ever be. Plus, like ALL my games, it WILL be finished and DELIVERED exactly as promised; regardless of who likes it or doesn't.

4) The game being in Early Access is not about money or it would be cheaper to get in. Get your facts right. And nobody asked anyone to buy it. And I'm certainly not selling JPEG of ships (which may or may not end up as designed and paid for by backers).

5) Comparing the current state of LOD to SC is more obnoxious thing that I keep reading. This despite the fact that while SC is still a tech demo, LOD currently has over 90% of it's features completed; and working. But since YOU guys brought it up, enjoy. This is LOD as it is TODAY, RIGHT NOW.

It's just as bad to use SC as a gauge to declare your game a success. "Buy LOD now! it's a better game than a non existent one".. great sales pitch.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

dsmart said:
    Realizer said:

dsmart said:
    Talonsin said:
    DKLond said:
    Talonsin said:

I dont know if you saw the video but Chris has a hard time even PLAYING his own game.  Chris is the "idea" guy.  I dont know if you understand what CEO's do but the CEO of a hospital does not contribute a "significant" amount of time to the patients.  In fact, he doesnt devote any time to actual patients.

I also think you are wrong about this.  According to Star Citizen videos, Pete Mackay is the flight model game designer and John Pritchett is the physics programmer.  If as you say Chris did all this significant work then why have these two guys on staff and doing the video when we all know Chris loves to be in the videos.

Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15031-Star-Citizen-Alpha-20-Flight-Model-Changeshttp://

Bottom line is you have NO proof or evidence to support your claim that Chris has done a "significant" part of the coding.  You just have your opinion that you so desperately want to be right.  Its actually kind of sad how you struggle against the facts and revert to name calling.
    I know for a fact that this is false. From what I know - from people who were there and still there - Chris's "contributions" in terms of gamedev, is like comparing a script kiddie to the guy who writes the operating system.

NOTE: Anyone who watched his impromptu attempt to play his own game, have all the answers they need to this question.

Just ignore him. It's their usual I-want-to-believe revisionist bullshit.
     I'm definitely not going to say Roberts had any part of writing actual code for SC, but "inside information" doesn't mean much from the guy who said that "super computers" were being used for SC onstage demos, and who also said that CryEngine could somehow utilize "16" cpu cores. 

By the way Derek, when is LOD official launch? You said the game was done back in October. Also, would you mind letting us know who the next "target for truth" is going to be after Roberts? I want to start doing my homework now. 
    You know I have a quick question. Derek Smart whom many of the SC anti-fans champion, has an unfinished, and much maligned game on Steam Early Access right now. In another thread many of you same posters joined in to crucify Adrian Banniga for accepting kickstarter [sorry brainfart] Steam Early Access money for what became an unfinished and much maligned game. While I know Smart founded the game on private investment money, now that the game is on sale on Steam Early Access, I fail to see a difference between either games as both people are accepting money for unfinished products that are in a pretty rough state. If one is considered fraud and theft, why not the other.

And keep in mind I don't consider what either is doing to be fraud or theft as no one is holding a gun to anybodies head and making them buy into either game. I'm just confused at the disparity why one developer is championed while the other is demonized.

Thoughts?
    This is a really interesting comment from the guy who constantly brags about how LOD is more of a game now than Star Citizen will ever be. Apparently, you think it's VERY worthy of discussion.

Makes a ton of sense ;)

Also, it's a pretty amazing delusion. Even the average gamer would prefer exploring their personal hangar in Star Citizen to playing LOD.

At least, I'd be surprised to hear otherwise.
    edited March 2016
    DKLond said:
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:

Talonsin said:
    DKLond said:
    Talonsin said:

I said he did the core of the work on the flight model - which includes aspects of the physics engine. A vital part and very significant part. Not the only part - as it's a huge game with a ton of flight model related code.

You have proof to back up your claims?
    What claims and what would constitute proof here?

DS himself acknowledges that Chris has written code for the flight model, so I assume we can dismiss the delusion that he's done nothing at all right there.

As for how "vital" it is - that's something subject to personal interpretation of what has been said in several videos.

Originally, the team was tiny compared to what it is now - and Chris himself had to do a lot of work for the demonstration video for the funding campaign - and that was when the core of the flight model was first shown. From what I understand based on several community videos, that core is the basis of the current flight model, though a lot of people have obviously been involved since then.

The flight model is extremely complex and it was always one of the more important parts of the project, because the design and vision of Chris is that the game is going to be skill-driven instead of "gear" driven.

That means the understanding of the flight model and physics involved will be decisive in winning a dogfight. That's the intention.

I simply don't see a scenario where all that is true and where Chris did NOT have a very real hand in very real work done on the engine. That said, I'm sure his role as a coder has diminished - if not disappeared - since the beginning.

To me, that's vital and significant. To others? Who knows.
    Bullshit. I acknowledged NO SUCH THING. I merely said that from those who were and are still there, saying that he wrote most (or whatever) of the code, is like comparing a script kiddie to an advanced programmer (ergo the guy who writes operating systems).

Chris did not write the flight model for SC

Chris is not and never was the primary programmer on SC

Chris hasn't written any code for SC since 2012 (last I heard)

Chris has demonstrated to the WORLD, that a) he doesn't know how to play his own "game" b) he remains clueless as to the mess that his "game" is in. To the extent that MANY publications (including Forbes) saw it fit to make NEWS out of it. Yes, they did.

Chris only cares about the performance acting of SQ42 (which nobody gives a toss about) because him and Sandi think that's their ticket back into Hollywood.

Now, here's the thing. You guys spend ALL your time and energy on ad hominem, time wasting circle jerk, and stroking JPEGs of ships that may never see the light of day etc. However, you have MANY avenues of asking these SAME questions to Chris.

"Hey Chris, that Derek Smart guy compares your programming skills to that of a script kiddie. What aspects of SC did you program?"

You can ask him here:

- social media (surprise! he's not active there)
    - on the forums (shocker! he hasn't posted there in years last I checked)
    - on 104TC (surprise! he will probably not select the question for answering)
    - comment section on chairman updates (shocker! he won't respond; since he never does)

This is the part where you go "fuck, I've just been p0wned. do I get a free tee shirt?"

edited March 2016
    You know your game is bad when more people reply to a thread about how great it is than play it. 
    dsmart said:
    DKLond said:
    Kefo said:
    DKLond said:

Talonsin said:
    DKLond said:
    Talonsin said:

I said he did the core of the work on the flight model - which includes aspects of the physics engine. A vital part and very significant part. Not the only part - as it's a huge game with a ton of flight model related code.

You have proof to back up your claims?
    What claims and what would constitute proof here?

DS himself acknowledges that Chris has written code for the flight model, so I assume we can dismiss the delusion that he's done nothing at all right there.

As for how "vital" it is - that's something subject to personal interpretation of what has been said in several videos.

Originally, the team was tiny compared to what it is now - and Chris himself had to do a lot of work for the demonstration video for the funding campaign - and that was when the core of the flight model was first shown. From what I understand based on several community videos, that core is the basis of the current flight model, though a lot of people have obviously been involved since then.

The flight model is extremely complex and it was always one of the more important parts of the project, because the design and vision of Chris is that the game is going to be skill-driven instead of "gear" driven.

That means the understanding of the flight model and physics involved will be decisive in winning a dogfight. That's the intention.

I simply don't see a scenario where all that is true and where Chris did NOT have a very real hand in very real work done on the engine. That said, I'm sure his role as a coder has diminished - if not disappeared - since the beginning.

To me, that's vital and significant. To others? Who knows.
    Bullshit. I acknowledged NO SUCH THING. I merely said that from those who were and are still there, saying that he wrote most (or whatever) of the code, is like comparing a script kiddie to an advanced programmer (ergo the guy who writes operating systems).

Chris did not write the flight model for SC.

Chris is not and never was the primary programmer on SC

Chris has written any code for SC since 2012 (last I heard)

Chris has demonstrated to the WORLD, that a) he doesn't know how to play his own "game" b) he remains clueless as to the mess that his "game" is in. To the extent that MANY publications (including Forbes) saw it fit to make NEWS out of it. Yes, they did.

Now, here's the thing. You guys spend ALL your time and energy on ad hominem, time wasting circle jerk, and stroking JPEGs of ships that may never see the light of day etc. However, you have MANY avenues of asking these SAME questions to Chris.

"Hey Chris, that Derek Smart guy compares your programming skills to that of a script kiddie. What aspects of SC did you program?"

You can ask him here:

- social media (surprise! he's not active there)
    - on the forums (shocker! he hasn't posted there in years last I checked)
    - on 104TC (surprise! he will probably not select the question for answering)
    - comment section on chairman updates (shocker! he won't respond; since he never does)

This is the part where you go "fuck, I've just been p0wned. do I get a free tee shirt?"

Thank you for repeating what I said you said.

Yes, he wrote some of the code - and you just acknowledged it again. That's all the use I had for your statement.

As for the rest of your empty and irrational bravado - I can't say it makes any more of an impression than the rest of your delusional "big words".

Funny thing is that I used to admire what you accomplished with Battlecruiser. Yes, it was incredibly broken and flawed - but the fact that you had done so much of it yourself was quite impressive.

If only that massively unwarranted ego had let you work well with others. Then we might have had two Star Citizens on the horizon today.

Sadly, you chose to let your ego rule the day and slowly break down in public.
    DKLond said:
    What new "companies" have been created that aren't part of SC creation?

Start here:

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    As usual, Derek Smart can't resist the chance to promote his own "game" in a SC thread, lol, complete with screenshots !

I suppose when you're struggling to make a living, you have to take every opportunity to get some free advertising, while simultaneously trying to knock the competition... :D 

LOD is a small indie effort amongst thousands of others, the only place where it will be remembered is on Derek Smart's CV... much like the rest of his games.
    dsmart said:
    DKLond said:
    What new "companies" have been created that aren't part of SC creation?

Start here:

Just answer the question if you can.

We all know that linking to another site without specifics is "smart" talk for yet another "I have no actual proof".
    edited March 2016

DKLond said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    vorpal28 said:
    Damn I didn't know it was 14 seperate entities... kind of takes the piss really the money should be going into SC and not into stuff like that.
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/445418/the-cloud-imperium-building-an-empire-with-crowd-funded-money/p1

Once again, which of those are not part of the Star Citizen project and how have you established that SC funds have been used to create all of them?
    1. Cloud Imperium Games Corp, West Hollywood, CA
    2. Cloud Imperium Games LLC, West Hollywood, CA
    3. Cloud Imperium Services, LLC West Hollywood, CA <– The one is interesting. It is found on BBB, but is not in the CA Secretary Of State dB records
    4. Cloud Imperium Games LLC, Santa Monica, CA
    5. Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, West Hollywood, CA
    6. Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, Austin, TX
    7. Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited, UK
    8. Foundry 42 Limited, UK
    9. Foundry 42, Germany
    10. Gemini 42 Entertainment LLC, West Hollywood, CA
    11. Gemini 42 Productions LLC, Santa Monica, CA
    12. Roberts Space Industries Corp, West Hollywood, CA
    13. Roberts Space Industries International Limited, UK
    14. Twin Brothers Production Inc, West Hollywood, CA
    15. Twin Bros, Germany
    With the exception of #14 and #15 which are owned by Ortwin, NONE of the above entities existed BEFORE the Star Citizen project. And that's an ABSOLUTE FACT.

And as we have seen in the current version, there is NOTHING in SC that is either ground-breaking, innovative or even worthy of mention, that couldn't have been built with a single studio, right here on US soil.

No, instead, for example, he built a company (F42) for his brother so he can go make SQ42.

Your move.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    dsmart said:

DKLond said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    vorpal28 said:
    Damn I didn't know it was 14 seperate entities... kind of takes the piss really the money should be going into SC and not into stuff like that.
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/445418/the-cloud-imperium-building-an-empire-with-crowd-funded-money/p1

Once again, which of those are not part of the Star Citizen project and how have you established that SC funds have been used to create all of them?
    1. Cloud Imperium Games Corp, West Hollywood, CA
    2. Cloud Imperium Games LLC, West Hollywood, CA
    3. Cloud Imperium Services, LLC West Hollywood, CA <– The one is interesting. It is found on BBB, but is not in the CA Secretary Of State dB records
    4. Cloud Imperium Games LLC, Santa Monica, CA
    5. Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, West Hollywood, CA
    6. Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, Austin, TX
    7. Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited, UK
    8. Foundry 42 Limited, UK
    9. Foundry 42, Germany
    10. Gemini 42 Entertainment LLC, West Hollywood, CA
    11. Gemini 42 Productions LLC, Santa Monica, CA
    12. Roberts Space Industries Corp, West Hollywood, CA
    13. Roberts Space Industries International Limited, UK
    14. Twin Brothers Production Inc, West Hollywood, CA
    15. Twin Bros, Germany
    With the exception of #14 and #15 which are owned by Ortwin, NONE of the above entities existed BEFORE the Star Citizen project. And that's an ABSOLUTE FACT.

And as we have seen in the current version, there is NOTHING in SC that is either ground-breaking, innovative or even worthy of mention, that couldn't have been built with a single studio, right here on US soil.

No, instead, for example, he built a company (F42) for his brother so he can go make SQ42.

Your move.
    Two companies in Germany eh? Interesting! Now where is that German speaking sunglasses wearing wabbit we all love so much.

Oh, so you're using the same list of studios as a list of companies like that other poster did.

Again, studio is one word. Company is another word. They are separate words for a reason.

How about answering my question instead.

What COMPANIES have been funded with SC funds that are NOT a part of Star Citizen development in any way?

DKLond said:
    vorpal28 said:
    There should be no need for 14 differant studioes to produce 1 game surely? 
    Did you read what I said about their reasons?

There's no need to have 300+ people either. It just makes it faster and more efficient.

There's probably no need to have more than 10 ships - it just makes it more fun and interesting.

See that pattern?

It's not about what's NEEDED - it's about what they think will make for the best game in the best way - given their options and limitations.

I'm sure you have more experience with ambitious development like this, though, right? :)
    No, that's bullshit. It doesn't make ANYTHING "faster or efficient". Heck, five years + $110M + 500+ people has yielded a tech demo with NONE of the FIDELITY or GROUND BREAKING things PROMISED.

Instead, they've used staged demos - and the current mPU tech demo - to continue raising funds. This despite the fact that Chris has gone on the record as saying that if funding stopped, they could still finish the game. Now funding is slowing down, and with a reported burn rate of almost $3M per month, we'll see what happens in the coming months.

This project is FUBAR. That's the gist of it.

DKLond said:
    Oh, so you're using the same list of studios as a list of companies like that other poster did.

Again, studio is one word. Company is another word. They are separate words for a reason.

How about answering my question instead.

What COMPANIES have been funded with SC funds that are NOT a part of Star Citizen development in any way?
    You forgot to be all cool and finish with...

Your move.
    dsmart said:

Your move.
    To convince us of the UBERNESS of Line of Defense compared to Star Citizen, please show us some spaceships flying in LOD.

And i mean spacecraft... as ... IN SPACE.

Have fun
This discussion has been closed.