Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CD Projekt Red Earns GotY at GDC - The Witcher 3 News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageCD Projekt Red Earns GotY at GDC - The Witcher 3 News

CD Projekt Red took home top honors during last night's Game Developers' Choice Awards by earning the Game of the Year for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Additionally, Witcher 3 took hom the Best Technology award as well.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LilithMLilithM Member UncommonPosts: 82
    I really tried to get into W3, but after a few days playing it I just felt bored. That I had zero interest in the main lead might have had something to do with it. Geralt is such a dull character, imo. I also prefer more freedom in choosing who I play as.
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    edited March 2016
    Geralt is actually preety layered and deffo not dull,  it is just not in your face presentation.  When/if you actually get into game, story, facial animations, etc (after all TW3 is story game)  then you can see it clearly.

As for custom vs fixed character.  It is a trade off.  You simply cannot do some things story, presentation, dialogue, face animation, wise with custom character what you can do with fixed character. 

This is OR type of choice.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562

This is one of the most basic fundamental characteristics of RPG's. Either you play as your own character in a story or you follow in the foot steps of someone else. in this case you follow Geralt. you have got to give credit to CD Project Red to how much stuff they gave you with the purchase of the game(ps4 wallpapers,soundtrack, a poster, and their game- which was pretty dope. I look forward to Red and will follow Cyberpunk 2077. they created a follower much as I used to follow Blizzard and Interplay , now Red has taken the path.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I found the story really good and some of the horrific realisations as you investigate some of the story makes you cringe. Won't mention it but you know the part where you follow that.... and realise what happened and who did what to whom. 

I think playing Geralt was necessary you cannot have so much history and depth when you just make some generic hero. Here you have a person with flaws and as the story develops you can watch it like a voyeur and feel the emotions. I actually loved the game.

Only problem for me was the headache from using witcher senses. Damn my motion sickness.
    Chamber of Chains
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I've always liked Geralt and the Witcher franchise. Those who have a problem with Geralt could only hope for ability to customize your character in future games. Well deserved reward.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Well deserved IMO. I definitely spent more time in Witcher than I did in dragon age inquisition or fallout 4. Don't get me wrong, all 3 are great RPGs. I just took more time to explore the world of the witcher.

Looking forward mass effect andromeda \o/ but first towards E3 and make my mind on what games i want to play this year :) beside MMOs that is.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    cheyane said:
    I found the story really good and some of the horrific realisations as you investigate some of the story makes you cringe. Won't mention it but you know the part where you follow that.... and realise what happened and who did what to whom. 

I think playing Geralt was necessary you cannot have so much history and depth when you just make some generic hero. Here you have a person with flaws and as the story develops you can watch it like a voyeur and feel the emotions. I actually loved the game.

Only problem for me was the headache from using witcher senses. Damn my motion sickness.
    I thought there was a way to turn it off.  Maybe it was just a PC mod.  I'm still working my way through The Witcher 2 :)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Game is fun, what I really hate is that actions/consequences does not make any sense, they are just random. You never know doing good deeds or bad one what will be outcome. In Swtor I know what will increase light or dark side and that for me is whole point about choices.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Game is fun, what I really hate is that actions/consequences does not make any sense, they are just random. You never know doing good deeds or bad one what will be outcome. In Swtor I know what will increase light or dark side and that for me is whole point about choices.
    It's just taste. I kinda liked the mystery around my choices and later on baffling myself which choice led to this precise moment. That's not to say that a system like Mass Effect's is bad, on the contrary, ME trilogy is my favorite game of all times. I also liked the fact that you knew which choice is paragon and which is a renegade. 

That's not to say that Witcher's take is wrong or bad. It's just different and shouldn't be ridiculed for it.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Haven't played part 3 cause I'm still on 2.. but Geralt a dull character? No way.

I remember that scene from part 1 where he sits down with Dandelion and Zoltan to have a drink and they have a men-talk.
    I was laughing tears from the hilarious conversation about relationships, adventures and whores.
    Harbinger of Fools