Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ Next Cancelled. Devs continues to abandon AAA "old style" MMORPGs?

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    New gamers wll not understand old school mmorgs but at the same time such concepts may appear fresh to some as well
    People aren't stupid and tend to learn a new fun game fast no matter if it uses current mechanics, older or completely new. They wouldn't like games in the shape the early MMOs were at launch though but I am not so sure most of us oldschoolers would anymore either.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Loke666 said:
    New gamers wll not understand old school mmorgs but at the same time such concepts may appear fresh to some as well
    People aren't stupid and tend to learn a new fun game fast no matter if it uses current mechanics, older or completely new. They wouldn't like games in the shape the early MMOs were at launch though but I am not so sure most of us oldschoolers would anymore either.
    Loke,

Good to see you again.  I have had this argument with people on other Kickstarter games that are just copying and pasted EQ1.  These people say that the days were so much better back then and we need corpse runs, and group all the time, no mini map, no instances yet I say how many of these guys who were in the old school days would want all that exactly the way it was.  I know many of them when they go back to them arcane systems would get bored very fast.

Some of the old school things do need to come alone again such as MMOs that 1 person cannot do everything.  Or 15 minute dungeon runs.  The problem is until there are fewer MMOs people will not change because if they dont like something they will go else where.  Also because there are so many publishers are just not making the money.  There is too few and too many and right now we are at too many MMOs.  
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    freegames said:
    It is cheaper and to spread the money out on 10 games with a fraction of the cost and lower returns than to take a big risk on a single game and lose everything. 

Clearly this is not true for AAA games like Tomb Raider, The Division, Destiny and the likes. May be there is no market for MMORPGs, but certainly there is a market for AAA single player + online games.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    The mobile games and apps are winning...They dont cost much to make and can be so0ld for 1/10th the price of a MMO....Factor in that almsot everyone has a phone and the formula is easy.....Unfortunately the gamers are the losers in this scenario.
    There will still be MMO's just as there will still be Ferraris or pizzas with anchovies.  None of it's going away.  There is a definite and sizable demand.  WOW, Minecraft, EVE, EQ, and other games have proved that.
    Minecraft is not a MMO.

WOW has been in decline for a long while.

Eve is p2w now.

EQ .. really?

Name something new and growing please. 

The mobile games and apps are winning...They dont cost much to make and can be so0ld for 1/10th the price of a MMO....Factor in that almsot everyone has a phone and the formula is easy.....Unfortunately the gamers are the losers in this scenario.

I see many PC single player games doing well too. The Division just broke ubisoft's sales record. So it still can be done ... may be not for MMO.

BTW, mobile games are not sold as 1/10th the price of a MMO. They are selling at exactly the same price ... free to play.
    DMKano said:

Why does it have to be new and growing?

He said definite and sizable demand, nothing else.
    because sizable is relative and devs don't care about old niches?
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    DMKano said:

Answering a question with a question is typically an easy way to detect a liar...

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    edited March 2016
    Loke666 said:
    Well, from Korea you have games like Lineage Eternal and CIV online to mention 2 large (there is more, google it).

Japan is a different beast because the problem is that most of it games never becomes translated to any other language. We don't hear anything about games like Tartaron online, Darkblood online, Hero of the obelisk, Aura kingdom, Onigiri or similar games and to be frankly do most of us never even heard of most of the developing companies over there. Japan have loads of MMOs and are making a lot more.

Sadly can't most of us never play those games, while learning to speak Japanese isn't that hard learning to read and write it is.
    Lineage Eternal - I have already mentioned it.  It seems it will be Diablo-like with bit more MMO features.  If you call Lineage Eternal an MMORPG, then you may call Destiny or The Division an MMORPG too.    Invalid example.

Civ Online - it is AA game, not AAA. Invalid Example.

Tartaron Online, Darkblood Online, Hero of the Obelisk, Aura Kingdom, etc  -  not AAA games.  Invalid Example.   You may as well start making Crowfall or The Repopulation examples of western AAA MMORPGs.  Would be as much accurate.

Where are all those Asian AAA MMORPGs coming to the rescue you have mentioned?    

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    edited March 2016
    Now  mmo tourists are leaving the genre its perfect time to start removing tools that were made for them and get this genre back on track,so hear me devs, its time to remove tourist finders and tourist megaservers and tourist instanced harvesting nodes  and tourist level scaling and pay to win cash shops and all that tourist crap.

Thanks in advance.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977

Devs continues to abandon AAA "old style" MMORPGs?

No, players are abandoning them.  People need to realize that the planet is very large and that maybe, just maybe, the majority of the population doesn't care to play them.  If there was a great demand for them, there would be a lot of them.  Clearly the masses outnumber you.  Figures don't lie, but liars figure... or at  least are in denial.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Pepeq said:

Devs continues to abandon AAA "old style" MMORPGs?

No, players are abandoning them.  People need to realize that the planet is very large and that maybe, just maybe, the majority of the population doesn't care to play them.  If there was a great demand for them, there would be a lot of them.  Clearly the masses outnumber you.  Figures don't lie, but liars figure... or at  least are in denial.
    There are too many aimed at people who don't really like MMORPG. Without F2P subsidizing majority of the genre it would be wholesale collapse along time ago.  
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    edited March 2016
    DMKano said:

I think you have pointed out one of the biggest problems with MMO developers, intentional or not.

They don't seem to care about niches.  Everyone is trying to make a game that caters to everyone and in the end they create games that almost no one wants to play. 

They might want to think about why some games have lasted for so long and what their goals were.

Figure out what was not popular/problematic in MMOs and target a specific audience with gameplay they will get into and stick around to play.

EQN is just as guilty of this, but on a larger scale.  Sure some of the ideas sounded great, but overall it was a collection of "OMG lets add this, it will be so cool" bullet points into a game from so many different aspects of gaming they ended up with an incohesive mess that was well beyond their ability to develop.

They couldn't even leverage the Everquest brand to keep fans of the franchise interested.  That is how far off track most MMO developments are these days.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    All the old titles are still running, we don't need new ones.  Go play the ones that are still being updated.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    When crap companies with crap games are making phone games that score them over a billion dollars its easy to understand where the devs are.

Daffid011 said:

I think you have pointed out one of the biggest problems with MMO developers, intentional or not.

They don't seem to care about niches.  Everyone is trying to make a game that caters to everyone and in the end they create games that almost no one wants to play. 

why is it a problem? Unless you are part of a niche?
    Daffid011 said:

The problem is all the games that release and fail.
    Daffid011 said:
    Daffid011 said:

wow .. what?

LOL is a commercial success with lots of fans.

The Division is a commercial success with lots of players.

World of Tank is a commercial success with lots of players.

even Destiny (not well reviewed) is a commercial success with lots of players.

.... so again .. it does not sound like there is a problem for devs, or the market, and only the niche which does not like mainstream games.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited March 2016
    Daffid011 said:
    Daffid011 said:

wow .. what?

.... so again .. it does not sound like there is a problem for devs, or the market, and only the niche which does not like mainstream games.
    Says the guy who has no idea what a MMO is let alone an "old style" one as evidenced by this very thread.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Daffid011 said:
    Daffid011 said:

wow .. what?

A very small set of examples (most not even memos) compared to dozens and dozens of flops.

Note I didn't say there was no successes and keep in mind a "niche" game now could be several hundred thousand players.

You are sorely mistaken if you think the actual problem is one suffered by players and not the companies wasting money chasing pipe dreams.  See thread topic for perfect example of the downfall of the grand daddy of mmo developers.
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    psiic said:
    When crap companies with crap games are making phone games that score them over a billion dollars its easy to understand where the devs are.

Ironic that 50-60 year old housewives are the target audience for the game devs now huh?
    Daffid011 said:

You are sorely mistaken if you think the actual problem is one suffered by players and not the companies wasting money chasing pipe dreams.  See thread topic for perfect example of the downfall of the grand daddy of mmo developers.
    why is that a problem either? So some companies waste (not mine) money on some pipe dreams and get burnt. should i care?

And in the mean time, there are a lot (even a small percentage) of good fun, successful games like The Division, and i have more than enough (in fact, more than i have time for) entertainment.

So tell me again, what is the problem?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    psiic said:

Ironic that 50-60 year old housewives are the target audience for the game devs now huh?
    Almost choked on my cheerios

Ain't that the truth lol

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    psiic said:

Almost choked on my cheerios

Ain't that the truth lol
    I think this is very elitist. You don't think 50-60 year old housewives should be entitled to their fun?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Daffid011 said:
    DMKano said:

Case in point of why I really stopped debating this ongoing topic/narrative, there's no real honesty in it. IF almost no one wanted to play these games they would not still be going, that's the bottom line. Far too many responses come from a position of fallacy, all in an attempt to make your own desires seem far more important than they are.... You know what type of game truly tried to account for everyone? SWG.. Which has nothing to do with the market today. 

All of these games for the most part are catering to a specific type of audience. ESO, TSW, SWTOR, AOC.. as an example  offer a major focus on story questing, as well as story infused PVE encounters, with the exception of ESO, things like PVP, crafting, etc.. are nothing more than filler to flesh out other things to do when you don't wanna quest. That's not trying to cater to everyone, that's pretty damn specific if you ask me. It's a market that brings single-player aspects into an MMO environment. That's where the dishonesty comes into play, and we get statements like the above.. When what you really should say is "I don't want to play them", that doesn't sound encompassing enough to matter though does it?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson