Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rob Irving (Former Lead Designer of Star Citizen) interview - admits Escapists article is true

Comments

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    Talonsin said:
    Realizer said:

If a lawsuit gets filed and verifiable proof comes out that laws are being broken at CIG we can have a real conversation about the future of the game,
    Tell that to the people who invested in Greed Monger.  Nothing must be wrong there since no laws were broken. 
    One situation doesn't equal the other, that's another fallacy, context is important.
  • JohnP0100JohnP0100 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Realizer said:

I'll clarify for a third time for @JohnP0100 ;  in my opinion these former employees claiming to have had a bad experience during their time at CIG don't really accomplish anything unless they take legal action. So in the long run I'm saying most sane people who see these articles/videos don't really care. Sure the few of us vocal fans/anti fans sling verbal shit at each other, but the project continues to bring in around $3m a month. With that being the case, and as long as we have no proof or legal action being taken we are left with two options. 

Option one is to pledge and wait for the game to come out. Option two is to not pledge and wait for the game to come out. Either way there will still be over 1m+ people trying the game, probably more once a purchasable final product is available.

So I'll say again, I personally don't think these articles/threads accomplish anything. Non of these people are taking legal action, so the company will keep on going. So why don't you wait till the game comes out, then you can scream from the mountain tops about how bad it is?  

It's very obvious though that @JohnP0100 isn't interested in logic, he just wants to use fallacy to validate his opinions as facts. Hence why he takes one word out of an argument and bases the entire position on it. That is flawed logic, and a terrible debate tactic. 

If a lawsuit gets filed and verifiable proof comes out that laws are being broken at CIG we can have a real conversation about the future of the game, but until then these threads aren't going to stop the game from selling more ships. So why bother wasting the effort? 
    So we went from you trying to dismiss the interview by saying things like 'Rob is intoxicated. Rob is getting paid for this.' to 'why is this poster posting this when it is clear that no one cares?'

What 'clarification'?  Oh you mean backtracking? Sorry,  but your posts on this says otherwise.

What 'logic'? Oh you mean ad hominem attacks?
    Your post in this thread is all the proof i need for that too.

It says a lot that the most of the 'for-SC post' in this thread, has me replying on why not personally attack others is a good thing.

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

Life itself is a game. So why shouldn't your game be ruined? - justmemyselfandi

Cause double post is cool!  

On topic
    This puts the lid on the following
    Why did the escapists article get an award?
    Why did CIG not follow through on their legal threats?

It shows what PvP games are really all about, and no, it's not about more realism and immersion. It's about cowards hiding behind a screen to they can bully other defenseless players without any risk of direct retaliation like there would be if they acted like asshats in "real life". -Jean-Luc_Picard

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    JohnP0100 said:

On topic
    We do not know ... the article has not won any award yet ....  ;-)

Have fun
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Erillion said:
    JohnP0100 said:

On topic

Have fun
    Why did it get a verification to the nomination by the judges, of many contributions? Will you argue, now, the judges are just horrible, anti-sc troll people?
  • japormsxjapormsx Member UncommonPosts: 51
    As Lincoln says:

You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

what can of "people" are you"|?

edited March 2016
    JohnP0100 said:
    Realizer said:

I'll clarify for a third time for @JohnP0100 ;  in my opinion these former employees claiming to have had a bad experience during their time at CIG don't really accomplish anything unless they take legal action. So in the long run I'm saying most sane people who see these articles/videos don't really care. Sure the few of us vocal fans/anti fans sling verbal shit at each other, but the project continues to bring in around $3m a month. With that being the case, and as long as we have no proof or legal action being taken we are left with two options. 

Option one is to pledge and wait for the game to come out. Option two is to not pledge and wait for the game to come out. Either way there will still be over 1m+ people trying the game, probably more once a purchasable final product is available.

So I'll say again, I personally don't think these articles/threads accomplish anything. Non of these people are taking legal action, so the company will keep on going. So why don't you wait till the game comes out, then you can scream from the mountain tops about how bad it is?  

It's very obvious though that @JohnP0100 isn't interested in logic, he just wants to use fallacy to validate his opinions as facts. Hence why he takes one word out of an argument and bases the entire position on it. That is flawed logic, and a terrible debate tactic. 

If a lawsuit gets filed and verifiable proof comes out that laws are being broken at CIG we can have a real conversation about the future of the game, but until then these threads aren't going to stop the game from selling more ships. So why bother wasting the effort? 
    So we went from you trying to dismiss the interview by saying things like 'Rob is intoxicated. Rob is getting paid for this.' to 'why is this poster posting this when it is clear that no one cares?'

What 'clarification'?  Oh you mean backtracking? Sorry,  but your posts on this says otherwise.

What 'logic'? Oh you mean ad hominem attacks?
    Your post in this thread is all the proof i need for that too.

It says a lot that the most of the 'for-SC post' in this thread, has me replying on why not personally attack others is a good thing.
     No obviously my story didn't change, everything I said still stands on it's own merit, yes he looks intoxicated, yes he's seeking attention (that's the point of a video), and it still changes nothing from the facts that the game is still making $3 million per month. Also doesn't change the fact that no legal action has been pursued, and doesn't change the fact that anything you say won't change the the outcome of whatever SC is going to become. It might become a streaming pile of garbage, it might become a shining example of a game done right, we won't know till it's done, and nothing you say will change that fact. 

So again unless you have some inside information that warrants pressing charges that no one else is aware of, you crying fowl does nothing. 

I'd like to say thank you for being a great example of someone who can't argue the position, only fallacy. It's funny you should mention ad-hominem while you continue to employ non-sequitur arguments, with some correlation implies causation mixed in there also. 
    Post edited by Realizer on
    Realizer said:

No obviously my story didn't change, everything I said still stands on it's own merit, yes he looks intoxicated, yes he's seeking attention (that's the point of a video), and it still changes nothing from the facts that the game is still making $3 million per month. Also doesn't change the fact that no legal action has been pursued, and doesn't change the fact that anything you say won't change the the outcome of whatever SC is going to become. It might become a streaming pile of garbage, it might become a shining example of a game done right, we won't know till it's done, and nothing you say will change that fact. 

So again unless you have some inside information that warrants pressing charges that no one else is aware of, you crying fowl does nothing. 

I'd like to say thank you for being a great example of someone who can't argue the position, only fallacy. It's funny you should mention ad-hominem while you continue to employ non-sequitur arguments, with some correlation implies causation mixed in there also. 
    Once again,  'attention seeking'? Really?
    Can you write a single post where you don't attack someone?
    From all the post you made in this thread it doesn't look like it.

Jeez.. WTF is wrong with you?

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    I thought it was clear that there was some truth in the article. Escapists refusal to retract any of it and SC's failure to act on their legal ultimatum indicated as much. 

I saw a few of the less objective SC supporters with their fingers in their ears "lalalala-ing"; but everyone else seemed fairly clear the article was most likely sound.  
    Agreed. SC should put or shut up.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    The title of this thread is unbridled stupidity.  Did you even watch the video?  If your takeaway from that video resulted in this thread then I'm guessing you spend a lot of time pleasuring yourself next to Derek Smart photos in your basement.
    Hey Sedryn

Long time no see. Your sense of humour has been missed around these parts. ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Erillion said:
    JohnP0100 said:

On topic

Have fun
    Why did it get a verification to the nomination by the judges, of many contributions? Will you argue, now, the judges are just horrible, anti-sc troll people?
    Probably because true or not, it's rare for such a hard hitting piece to come by way of a game journalist? Which is an industry usually too apt at groveling in order to retain access.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386
    edited March 2016
    Talonsin said:
    DKLond said:
    Talonsin said:

I dont know if you saw the video but Chris has a hard time even PLAYING his own game.  Chris is the "idea" guy.  I dont know if you understand what CEO's do but the CEO of a hospital does not contribute a "significant" amount of time to the patients.  In fact, he doesnt devote any time to actual patients.
    The core of the physics engine/flight model, for one.

I also think you are wrong about this.  According to Star Citizen videos, Pete Mackay is the flight model game designer and John Pritchett is the physics programmer.  If as you say Chris did all this significant work then why have these two guys on staff and doing the video when we all know Chris loves to be in the videos.

Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15031-Star-Citizen-Alpha-20-Flight-Model-Changeshttp://

Bottom line is you have NO proof or evidence to support your claim that Chris has done a "significant" part of the coding.  You just have your opinion that you so desperately want to be right.  Its actually kind of sad how you struggle against the facts and revert to name calling.
    I know for a fact that this is false. From what I know - from people who were there and still there - Chris's "contributions" in terms of gamedev, is like comparing a script kiddie to the guy who writes the operating system.

NOTE: Anyone who watched his impromptu attempt to play his own game, have all the answers they need to this question.

Just ignore him. It's their usual I-want-to-believe revisionist bullshit.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

The title of this thread is unbridled stupidity.  Did you even watch the video?  If your takeaway from that video resulted in this thread then I'm guessing you spend a lot of time pleasuring yourself next to Derek Smart photos in your basement.
    Did you watch it?
    The direct quote from the video is 'Rumors like that don't just spring up out of nowhere, that's the thing. There is, there is certainly some truth to the article.'

I am still amazed how Derek Smart consumes every pro-SC supporter's mind 24/7.

The legend is true...
    If you say Derek Smart 3 times, he DOES APPEAR! AMIGAWD! 

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    edited March 2016

Roberts didn't even do the heavy lifting on coding in the first WC.  Stephen Beeman did that, and got rewarded by getting the nod to direct WC2.   Roberts continually mythologizes his contributions to any game he's ever worked on.  

Though old Origin hands who don't like him otherwise, do give him credit for the games' immersion and theatrics.    By the time of WC3 and 4, Roberts was spending most of his time working on the cutscenes.    Don't know what all he was doing at Digital Anvil, but it never resulted in a game during his tenure.

There's a hilarious video (available somewhere here among Erillions' posts) from the time when The Evil One was first raising a stink, that purports to show Roberts slaving away on code.   You know, to show how hardworking he was.  Gloriously pompous and self important.   Pretty sure the first thing the real coders do when they get Roberts 'helpful additions', is to toss it out;  then tell him how useful it was. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

JohnP0100 said:
    Realizer said:

Once again,  'attention seeking'? Really?
    Can you write a single post where you don't attack someone?
    From all the post you made in this thread it doesn't look like it.

Jeez.. WTF is wrong with you?
     It's an observation not an attack, feel free to argue why he's not seeking attention, but to just deflect and call it an attack, is just you being stumped.  The video is obviously Rob speaking about his past, current, and future endeavors, which is doing what? It's called advertising, which is just a form of seeking/giving attention to whatever is deemed worthy of said attention/advertisement. How is this concept difficult to grasp?

Can you please try to form actual arguments instead of trying to break down logical fallacy every time your post. I understand this may be new for you, but give it whirl, see how it goes.

Realizer said:

It's an observation not an attack, feel free to argue why he's not seeking attention, but to just deflect and call it an attack, is just you being stumped.  The video is obviously Rob speaking about his past, current, and future endeavors, which is doing what? It's called advertising, which is just a form of seeking/giving attention to whatever is deemed worthy of said attention/advertisement. How is this concept difficult to grasp?

Can you please try to form actual arguments instead of trying to break down logical fallacy every time your post. I understand this may be new for you, but give it whirl, see how it goes.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/post/quote/447490/Comment_6889593
    Must be nice for SC employees knowing that they don't have to worry about money after leaving. All they have to do is talk about vague references and generally shit talk Roberts, and the media sites will pay them. If only all companies had anti-fans ready to click any bait they can find, then everybody could do it.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/post/quote/447490/Comment_6889574
    Personally I think it's hilarious that as soon as these guys are out of the job, they run to the nearest news site and do interviews for money. Hopefully they can grow up and become adults, and figure out the world isn't some cutesy time story where everyone is nice and cares about your feelings. It's a game company not a Democracy, you get paid to do a job, so do it, or leave and let someone replace you that can do the job.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/post/quote/447490/Comment_6889847
    Right, that's what he said, and it means absolutely nothing. It's just one person's vague affirmation of someone else's conjecture. He's not under oath, and he possibly received incentive for the appearance. He also appears to be intoxicated. So it's clear, I'm saying he's obviously seeking attention by way of association. 

If he's not, and something that's serious is going on at CIG, he needs to file a complaint with his local agencies, and find a lawyer. I doubt it's anything more serious than some fowl language and rude behavior. That happens at many small companies, they aren't all like large corporations with more HR than Managers ect.  If the owner of a private company wants to shit talk, in a free country, with freedom of speech, than that's what they will do. If it's in a place without freedom of speech than I guess those rules will apply.  

TLDR: Either press charges, or get over it. No one cares anymore, we are playing other games while we wait for SC anyway.

Should I go on?
    Or is the following examples of your posts enough proof for you to accept that you are attacking someone?
    The crazy thing is that this is just from this thread. Is there more in other threads? Do you always attack people? Is it a habit?
    Like I said before, WTF is wrong with you?

dsmart said:
    Talonsin said:
    DKLond said:
    Talonsin said:

I dont know if you saw the video but Chris has a hard time even PLAYING his own game.  Chris is the "idea" guy.  I dont know if you understand what CEO's do but the CEO of a hospital does not contribute a "significant" amount of time to the patients.  In fact, he doesnt devote any time to actual patients.

I also think you are wrong about this.  According to Star Citizen videos, Pete Mackay is the flight model game designer and John Pritchett is the physics programmer.  If as you say Chris did all this significant work then why have these two guys on staff and doing the video when we all know Chris loves to be in the videos.

Source: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15031-Star-Citizen-Alpha-20-Flight-Model-Changeshttp://

Bottom line is you have NO proof or evidence to support your claim that Chris has done a "significant" part of the coding.  You just have your opinion that you so desperately want to be right.  Its actually kind of sad how you struggle against the facts and revert to name calling.
    I know for a fact that this is false. From what I know - from people who were there and still there - Chris's "contributions" in terms of gamedev, is like comparing a script kiddie to the guy who writes the operating system.

NOTE: Anyone who watched his impromptu attempt to play his own game, have all the answers they need to this question.

I'm definitely not going to say Roberts had any part of writing actual code for SC, but "inside information" doesn't mean much from the guy who said that "super computers" were being used for SC onstage demos, and who also said that CryEngine could somehow utilize "16" cpu cores. 

By the way Derek, when is LOD official launch? You said the game was done back in October. Also, would you mind letting us know who the next "target for truth" is going to be after Roberts? I want to start doing my homework now. 
    To bring the thread back on-topic, this thread is about an ex-CIG employee saying there is truth to the escapists article.
    Which is interesting as a normal person wouldn't say 'there is some truth to that' when they see an article with a lot of false statements. They'll say 'there is a lot of false stuff in there'.

Word of warning, stop attacking Rob / Derek / Me / The goose / the guy next door / superman / spiderman / ironman / some bald guy from Star trek in my thread.

JohnP0100 said:
    Realizer said:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/post/quote/447490/Comment_6889593
    Must be nice for SC employees knowing that they don't have to worry about money after leaving. All they have to do is talk about vague references and generally shit talk Roberts, and the media sites will pay them. If only all companies had anti-fans ready to click any bait they can find, then everybody could do it.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/post/quote/447490/Comment_6889574
    Personally I think it's hilarious that as soon as these guys are out of the job, they run to the nearest news site and do interviews for money. Hopefully they can grow up and become adults, and figure out the world isn't some cutesy time story where everyone is nice and cares about your feelings. It's a game company not a Democracy, you get paid to do a job, so do it, or leave and let someone replace you that can do the job.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/post/quote/447490/Comment_6889847
    Right, that's what he said, and it means absolutely nothing. It's just one person's vague affirmation of someone else's conjecture. He's not under oath, and he possibly received incentive for the appearance. He also appears to be intoxicated. So it's clear, I'm saying he's obviously seeking attention by way of association. 

If he's not, and something that's serious is going on at CIG, he needs to file a complaint with his local agencies, and find a lawyer. I doubt it's anything more serious than some fowl language and rude behavior. That happens at many small companies, they aren't all like large corporations with more HR than Managers ect.  If the owner of a private company wants to shit talk, in a free country, with freedom of speech, than that's what they will do. If it's in a place without freedom of speech than I guess those rules will apply.  

TLDR: Either press charges, or get over it. No one cares anymore, we are playing other games while we wait for SC anyway.

Should I go on?
    Or is the following examples of your posts enough proof for you to accept that you are attacking someone?
    The crazy thing is that this is just from this thread. Is there more in other threads? Do you always attack people? Is it a habit?
    Yes, you can copy paste, good for you, now try forming your own points, and argue their merit. 
    Realizer said:
    JohnP0100 said:

Should I go on?
    Yes, you can copy paste, good for you, now try forming your own points, and argue their merit. 
    Is this the 'I am rubber you are glue' defence? My god! Am I in kindergarten?

The points have been made. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant. You certain made a lot of points to outside observers though.
    Read what I copy-pasted and think 'if someone else wrote this and I read them, what would I think?'.
    Here's a thought, is there a possiblity that this outside observer might think 'why can't this poster Realizer just stop attacking someone? WTF is wrong with him?'

edited March 2016
    JohnP0100 said:
    Realizer said:
    JohnP0100 said:

Should I go on?
    Is this the 'I am rubber you are glue' defence? My god! Am I in kindergarten?

The points have been made. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant. You certain made a lot of points to outside observers though.
    Read what I copy-pasted and think 'if someone else wrote this and I read them, what would I think?'.
    Here's a thought, is there a possiblity that this outside observer might think 'why can't this poster Realizer just stop attacking someone? WTF is wrong with him?'
     No you haven't actually made any points, you just keep saying everyone's posts are attacks. You continue to regress any points you see into either an attack, or attempt to invalidate using logical fallacy. If you can show you know how to actually argue the points without this tactic we can have a meaningful conversation.

Also, to answer your question, I'm not sure, you may actually be in kindergarten, I have no evidence to prove otherwise at this time. (you want kindergarten we can go there) <3

Edit: PS buddy,
       People know how I post here, I'm a cynical supporter. I only support games I enjoy, and I don't talk about games I haven't played. I also enjoy destroying idiotic fallacy ridden arguments, where people like yourself attempt to discredit valid opinions with your "politically correct" regression. Why? Same reason Derek does it, it's fun, and because you aren't going to change the outcome of the game with your threads, so may as well have something come out of it.
    dsmart said:
    Ahh, the "expert" is speaking. The one that is still claiming his game was only crashing 72 times in 6 hours of gameplay because the tester was using "German" driver versions (a claim which the driver manufacturer himself called Bullshit).Congratulations on peak concurrent users of LOD in Steam going up from 2 to 4, as you are taking a swipe at CIG for "only" having a few 10.000 concurrent testers.  The operative words in your post are:  "From what I know...."   ;-)

In the interview Rob Irving spoke about SC being an immensely huge and ambitious project - he never once called Chris Roberts a script kiddie. And - contrary to you - he WAS one of the people there.

Have fun

edited March 2016

Thoughts?
    Definitely worth a cross post in that other thread :-) !

Because as far as i can see, "Darkout" was never a Kickstarter campaign and therefore never took Kickstarter money. On Steam it has "Mixed reviews". While "Line of Defense" has "Very Negative" reviews.

Have fun

PS:
    Now found out that "Darkout" was on Indiegogo and all the fuss is about 5347 $, which apparently now makes him an "Untouchable Pariah" in some  eyes. Let him work a normal job for a few months and lets see where "Darkout" is going after that.
    Post edited by Erillion on
    edited March 2016
    Realizer said:

dsmart said:
    Talonsin said:
    DKLond said:
    Talonsin said:

I'm definitely not going to say Roberts had any part of writing actual code for SC, but "inside information" doesn't mean much from the guy who said that "super computers" were being used for SC onstage demos, and who also said that CryEngine could somehow utilize "16" cpu cores. 

By the way Derek, when is LOD official launch? You said the game was done back in October. Also, would you mind letting us know who the next "target for truth" is going to be after Roberts? I want to start doing my homework now. 
    You know I have a quick question. Derek Smart whom many of the SC anti-fans champion, has an unfinished, and much maligned game on Steam Early Access right now. In another thread many of you same posters joined in to crucify Adrian Banniga for accepting kickstarter money for what became an unfinished and much maligned game. While I know Smart founded the game on private investment money, now that the game is on sale on Steam Early Access, I fail to see a difference between either games as both people are accepting money for unfinished products that are in a pretty rough state. If one is considered fraud and theft, why not the other.

And keep in mind I don't consider what either is doing to be fraud or theft as no one is holding a gun to anybodies head and making them buy into either game. I'm just confused at the disparity why one developer is championed while the other is demonized.

Thoughts?
     Agreed, but yeah Derek was asked about this in the now infamous twitch stream video he removed from youtube. When he was asked he said the game was finished, then someone asked why his space game has no space ships. Then he said he would think about adding a few concepts, someone mentioned he could be the new CR and sell ships, then he quickly went back to saying it's a finished game. 

The only real reason it's still in early access is because you can't request a refund from steam on EA titles. If he takes it out of EA status he won't have a way to stop steam from refunding customers for his terrible game. It has been brought up many times by myself and a few others, but to be honest I don't think many Derek Smart fans even know he has a game.

If he markets it, the reviews go down, so it's probably better for him just duping the random person who buys it, rather than send a possibly vocal crowd to it via advertisement.
This discussion has been closed.