Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fix this, or I'm ad blocking it

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
Log into my IPAD Air to pursue the forums, and every time I select some area of the forums to view, up pops a large block style ad that completely covers my screen and I can't even dismiss unless I pick up the IPAD and turn it 90 degrees to vertices display (I use it with a keyboard horizontally) to see the X box in the corner.

Also, why sort of ads are you sending now, something called "Elite" with animated characters deciding whether they should jump in the shower with a member of the opposite sex or wait?  WTF?  

Please get rid of these two issues or I'm going to have to figure out a way to disable the ads.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    I believe we've resolved this issue. Let us know if you're still seeing the problematic ads.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    MikeB said:
    I believe we've resolved this issue. Let us know if you're still seeing the problematic ads.
    Thanx Mike, will check it tomorrow.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

DMKano said:
    Heh - reading the OP - I'd like to see those ads actually, ha. 
    There were 2,forgot whatcthe 2nd scene was about.

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Yeah this been bugging me too but too lazy to nag about it. Thanks @Kyleran <3
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
    Yeah this been bugging me too but too lazy to nag about it. Thanks @Kyleran <3
    Odd thing is was only am IPAD issue. Android has a much smaller ad, with annoying hard to click in the upper right hand dismissal X box, but only comes up occasionally.

Something changed very recently on the IPad to get this gigantic ad that exceeded the borders of my screen, and came up every time I clicked on a new item anywhere in the site.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Experienced this yesterday around 5pm GMT - don't know if the fix was after this.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2016
    Not advertising, but this is the AD blocker I use which usually resolves most problems even gets past sites that say to turn off ad-blocker like Forbes which forces people to compromise security, and IFrames.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

This is the one I use personally for a week straight has taken care of my issues.

You would be shocked how many sties like to load up AD's in the background which can be used to compromise Flash Player & Java exploits on a users system.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I just run ad block plus myself it freeware also.  I also stop using anything other than firefox for a browser as it gives you more freedom over things auto downloaded to your computers.  Got tired of banner ads a long time ago.  I do let ads run on some pages to support the companies because it is how they fund their sites but when it is 90% ads I just shut them down.
    Not worried about security, apparently I don't visit shady sites with those issues or my security measures in place are effective.

IMO my greatest risk is when I hand my Check card to a server or clerk who takes it out of my sight to ring up the sale.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2016
    k61977 said:
    I just run ad block plus myself it freeware also.  I also stop using anything other than firefox for a browser as it gives you more freedom over things auto downloaded to your computers.  Got tired of banner ads a long time ago.  I do let ads run on some pages to support the companies because it is how they fund their sites but when it is 90% ads I just shut them down.
    Yeah I was using AD-Block too but it became outdated and Orgins seems to bypass the sites that target AD-Blockers.

Personally I have a problem with AD's because they can compromise security often leading to 3rd party or external sites which in the past was used with I-Frame Exploits through Flash Player / Java to infect my computer which is why I just block everything now its the best and most secure way to go.

if a site wants to legally get my permission to show AD"s the site can present a privacy policy, along with which servers will be showing the AD's and such usually its Google AD's, for the most part but sometimes other 3rd party servers too.
    edited March 2016
    MikeB said:
    Mike
    Unfortunately the advert has used a resurrection skill, as it's still happening. I'm on an ipad now, and the full screen ad has appeared a few times.

Think it needs to be introduced to the permadeath mechanic.
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    Odd, I cannot make it reappear anymore on mobile.  Can you send a screen grab from your ipad?

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

edited March 2016
    Admin said:
    Odd, I cannot make it reappear anymore on mobile.  Can you send a screen grab from your ipad?
    Straight from my ipad now - (UK) time is on the screenshot.

edited March 2016
    Still having the issue myself, giant Audible ad today for me, same as before, in horizontal viewing mode I can't click the X in the corner, and it's challenging me on every screen refresh as I move around the forums.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2016
    You could try https://www.brave.com/ 

Set up by the guy who - from memory ran Mozilla - it lets "safe ads" through but "unsafe ads" it blocks (unless you choose to let them through). So the aim is a half-way house. Feels rough around the edges but maybe that is because it is minimalistic. Certainly faster for some sites though. And for the first time since mmorpg.coms upgrade I can access, write etc. forum posts properly. Only a couple of default search engines - Google is one - but you can load others of course.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Thanks for the screen cap! We're looking into this now and I'll be sure to update you guys in this thread once we have it sorted.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Renoaku said:
    k61977 said:
    Yeah I was using AD-Block too but it became outdated and Orgins seems to bypass the sites that target AD-Blockers.

Personally I have a problem with AD's because they can compromise security often leading to 3rd party or external sites which in the past was used with I-Frame Exploits through Flash Player / Java to infect my computer which is why I just block everything now its the best and most secure way to go.

if a site wants to legally get my permission to show AD"s the site can present a privacy policy, along with which servers will be showing the AD's and such usually its Google AD's, for the most part but sometimes other 3rd party servers too.
    In addition to Adblock, I use the Ghostery and Disconnect plugins on my browser.

Just a heads up, if you install Ghostery, then do not opt in for their research project or whatever it is.  They sell that data to ad providers to show them what people are blocking.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited March 2016
    If I want sites to load as fast as possible, I use imageblock, it basically blocks all images.

It makes sites load extremely quickly because all you're loading is text.

https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/image-block/

I don't use it on MMORPG, since...images matter kinda, many people post them. But if I'm on a type of site where I just want to read the text, I use it a lot, it's a simple toggle switch.

That's why I love FireFox, there is an add on for everything.

turned off:

turned on:

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I don't want to use ad block for obvious reasons. But maybe it's time you come up with standards regarding the designs you accept. It can't happen while you are working with any ad networks but my company has done this for many a site way smaller than yours and they experienced a profit boost. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
    Still there on every new screen on ipad
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Apparently being a 45 year old male from the UK it is the perfect time for me to buy a summer dress...
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Apparently being a 45 year old male from the UK it is the perfect time for me to buy a summer dress...
    Thought all you brits liked to play dress up dollies
    psiic said:
    Thought all you brits liked to play dress up dollies
    Benny Hill said so.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I hope the ads like that are gone now. It was getting very irritating when I would go on the mobile site on my iphone and see giant ads pop up while scrolling down. 
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    its never too late for that! :lol: