Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RUMOR: Legion Coming June 30th? EU Retailers Think So

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageRUMOR: Legion Coming June 30th? EU Retailers Think So

Several retail gaming sites in the EU are reporting that Legion will be ready for action on June 30, 2016. Sites in Poland, the Netherlands, and the United Arab Emirates are reporting this date. While this seems a bit overly enthusiastic, it is close to the release of the Warcraft movie and the beginning of summer, the last day of which marks the outside date for the release of Legion according to Blizzard itself.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Not a surprise, Blizzard never said September was the absolute date, just a holder date.
  • mnemic666mnemic666 Member UncommonPosts: 224
    That would be surprising given that they were just recently calling this "early alpha" right now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

mnemic666 said:

That would be surprising given that they were just recently calling this "early alpha" right now.

Agreed. I think it's total bunk but it's fun to consider. I find it much more likely that it would be the pre-patch activities that would stretch until Legion launches by Sep 22nd.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    That would suggest that they have little faith in Overwatch... since it is due to go live around that time frame.  Blizzard is unlike to release two titles in direct competition with each other... they offset the release to maximize sales.  

Of course, it's pretty much a sure thing that the movie they are doing will only last as long as the opening box office sales.  Perhaps they are concerned about losing a few new accounts due to the delay in the release?  Servers are pretty dead right now, anyone starting would think it were a ghost town and possibly pass on Legion if they didn't buy it outright.
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    The other hole in this are that WoW releases happen on Tuesdays (Maintenance days) and June 30 is a Thursday ... not seeing this as correct at all.
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    My servers arent a "ghost town," or dead, maybe you play on the wrong servers?

Mine are as popular now as ever...
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Yeah not sure about that servers comments, Ashran has barely enough room to stand.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

My servers arent a "ghost town," or dead, maybe you play on the wrong servers?

Mine are as popular now as ever...

Same here. There are plenty of servers which are highly populated.

I'd be really happy if Legion comes out at that date, but honestly I'm doubtful, not because I don't think that Blizzard can manage to finish the game, but rather because games(especially Blizzard games) tend not to be released in June/July, while at the same time we've had previous released in August/September.

Btw I'm sure that Blizzard has already done the necessary due diligence and know whether players who will play Overwatch would stop to play it and go play Legion instead if the release at the same day. My personal guess is that 85% of Overwatch players won't care when Legion comes out :P

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Not even in beta yet and alpha is still pretty rough in some areas - highly doubtful though you never know...the "public" alpha we see could be significantly behind in builds for all we know to mask how far along it really is (a stretch but possible.)
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I believe it is in Blizzard's best interest to get this expac out as fast as they can. Another expac ending with almost already a year of no new content. I really hope Legion launches on this date, but like most I am skeptical.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2016

Albatroes said:

Not a surprise, Blizzard never said September was the absolute date, just a holder date.

What they initially said wa that it would be out in Q3 - so between July 1 and Sept 30. Then they changed it to after the film - so later than June 10th - with an anticipated Q3 release.

Pre-patch - maybe but even that ....
  • MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137

Pepeq said:

That would suggest that they have little faith in Overwatch... since it is due to go live around that time frame.  Blizzard is unlike to release two titles in direct competition with each other... they offset the release to maximize sales.  

Of course, it's pretty much a sure thing that the movie they are doing will only last as long as the opening box office sales.  Perhaps they are concerned about losing a few new accounts due to the delay in the release?  Servers are pretty dead right now, anyone starting would think it were a ghost town and possibly pass on Legion if they didn't buy it outright.

Since they are giving the game out to anyone who sees the movie all the way up to draenor I say this is a moot point. Their playerbase would grow tremendously and would ride all the way to legion imo
  • pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Haha people say it is not possible because testing and stuff, but nowadays Blizzard pulls recycled and rushed content so maybe there actually not much to test, and company wants you to give your $60 asap.

But don't worry on september they make something to sell too :D Another shop garbage or even better - mini dlc's like pay $10 and get access to Island of Even More Recycled Content :D
  • koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Summer is also I big problem for WOW population due to summer holydays and ppl spending more time out. I know from experience that our raid is usually on hold in that time cause ppl dont get online that much.
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

SBFord said:

mnemic666 said:

Agreed. I think it's total bunk but it's fun to consider. I find it much more likely that it would be the pre-patch activities that would stretch until Legion launches by Sep 22nd.

I suspect you're right, but I'll play some Devil's Advocate - it's possible it could come June 30th despite still being in Early Alpha.

Alphas these days are becoming the new closed betas. I'm sure you've seen this trend. Alphas used to be friends and family, mostly, very small samples of players who wouldn't spill the beans. Nowadays, Alphas consist of thousands. I wouldn't be surprised if after collecting the feedback from Alpha, the game is 95 or even 98% as ready as it's going to be. It's not inconceivable that they could transition into an Open Beta in the beginning of June spend 2-3 weeks collecting some last minute feedback (stuff likely not even to be patched until after release) and then go forward on June 30th.

That said, another possibility is they know the end game (which isn't availible yet) is going to suck ass, so they wanna release Legion very soon to the movie, cash out as much profit as possible, and then officially put WoW into Maintence mode.

Or it's just a rumor, without much truth. Let's go with that.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I hope it comes out sooner than later. I pretty much only play WoW and a little ESO right now... At least ESO is free besides their content updates and is putting out content at a moderate pace.
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    edited March 2016
    I think it's too quick there still in alpha supposedly... But who knows companies love to rush things out the door we all know that too well. I tried recently to go back but it's so hard now having tasted B&S and BDO combat :(
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2016
    Pinktailz said: "Since they are giving the game out to anyone who sees the movie all the way up to draenor I say this is a moot point. Their playerbase would grow tremendously and would ride all the way to legion imo"

The movie has its own issues; specifically the film is releasing before and after it. And even though it has an empty weekend there is a hold over situation - three major films releasing in the two previous weekends.