Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How should XP be achieved?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
By that I mean, for example:

1.  Will there be a group bonus?
2.  How will having higher level players in your group lessen the xp?
3.  Do solo players get a meaningful bonus if they can take down, say, "red" con mobs?
4.  What about raid xp?
5.  How good should quest xp be?
6.  Will crafting success apply only to crafting, or will it confer xp also?
7.  What steps will be taken to encourage, or discourage, power leveling (meaning a high level player somehow helps a lower level player to level quickly). 

Just interested in people's opinions. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    1. Should be.
    2. Should have a level sync systrm or something.
    3.nope
    4. None
    5. None
    6. Should be crafting only.
    7. Non interference mechanics coupled with a level sync type system if higher level player truly wants to help as to not reduce difficulty.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited March 2016
    1. Grouping should always be far more efficient for everyone, regardless of class. If it takes a group bonus to achieve this, then yes, there should be one. However, I'd like to see a more natural synergy in groups that makes them more powerful and efficient without having to simply code in a bonus.

2. It should scale. You shouldn't get exp if grouped with someone +5 or so levels early on, up to maybe +10 down the line.

No syncing or mentoring. If there is a syncing or mentoring system, the mentor should be completely nerfed to be on par with a normal player of that level. They should also get no experience whatsoever under any circumstances. Can't stress that enough. A player should only be able to advance their character by doing something that is actually a challenge for them at their normal level. That is the whole premise behind "gaining experience."

3. No bonus for soloing ever. You already get the benefit of being self sufficient and keeping all of the stuff you find.

4. I don't mind a raid of people getting experience, if they are killing raid caliber mobs. Killing group mobs the experience should be divided accordingly and not get a bonus, but rather a penalty depending on the risk/reward.

5. Non-existent.

6. Crafting experience should apply to your crafting level, not adventuring level.

7. Light mechanics to prevent powerleveling, but not enough to prevent it altogether. The character leveling should have to do the most damage to a mob, including out-damaging the powerleveler and damage from buffs like thorns or procs. A character should also do more damage to a mob than healing received during the fight or suffer a penalty.
    Post edited by Dullahan on

• KeenoKeeno Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Level sync/mentor is one of my favorite mechanics in these group based games but at the same time I never thought it was done right and had some major short comings.

Either you could sync/mentor and be a totally overpowered lv 50 in a lv 20 group making everything trivial for everyone because all the skill and gear scaling is off.

OR

When gear and skills are scaled well you can still be that guy who just sits in the same lv 10-20 zone and just milks it all they way to cap never getting to learn your class or any other zones just because it was faster and easier to get parties in that zone.

A way around this could be have the group leader set someones level to be the sync then have anyone 4+ levels above that sync take 25% reduced exp, 5+(50%) and 6+(90-100%)   "I give a possible 1-10% exp here just because no active leveler is gonna put up with this but it might be nice little incentive for friends of massive level gaps plays together and not have that helper get totally hosed I think the 5-10% would work."

This way you have 3 levels to play around with and you have the choice to stay for another level or two at reduced rates once you hit 4+, having it set like this wont allow staying in the same spot for more then 10 levels, if you want exp that is.

And yea you could always bring in people lower then your current sync level but never give them a exp bonus as that will just lead into leechers and paid power leveling.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    What ever they do I think XP should be most efficient as a group. By a lot. Bring the XP requirements closer to where it was before, meaning long time between levels. If that results in camp groups again, which I hate, then so be it. Though I prefer a nice variety of long dungeon runs Id be fine with repeatable questing but make it at least 50/50 group v. solo content (preferably more group) and make repeatable quests long like "kill `300+ red orcs" so youre not running back and forth every 10 minutes and enough for a good group sesh.
  • sh33pishsh33pish Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Amsai said:
    1. Should be.
    3.nope
    4. None
    5. None
    7. Non interference mechanics coupled with a level sync type system if higher level player truly wants to help as to not reduce difficulty.
    Nailed it.

Couldn't agree more.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    sh33pish said:
    Amsai said:
    1. Should be.
    3.nope
    4. None
    5. None
    Nailed it.

Couldn't agree more.
    I agree with the exception of 2.  Level sync is bad.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche