Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Night Is Dark And Full Of Lanterns

Comments

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I wasn't even gonna get BDO but I am so glad I did, this game is a true sandbox and the most fun MMORPG I have played in years.

Mystery Bounty

• CulubuCulubu Member UncommonPosts: 49
    edited March 2016
    I'm still surprised this community is okay with gender / aged locked classes. Few years ago that routine would get the game laughed off this site.
    Yeah gender/age lock sucks, no one is denying that. It's just that the pros outweigh the cons.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited March 2016
    Dark nights is a must-have for immersion.
    I remember how disappointed i was when they patched the darkness out of the nights in WoW. What a major letdown!!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I'm still surprised this community is okay with gender / aged locked classes. Few years ago that routine would get the game laughed off this site.
    Well, I think some people would still "laugh it off the site" but there are fans of Asian games who have come to terms with how they do things and it just "is what it is".

Also the pros of the game, the level of detail within the world (the dark night being one) probably outweighs some of the cons.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    The monsters become more aggressive and hit harder at night time too, which is another cool feature. Its not as intense as the nights in Dragon's Dogma, but pretty amazing for an mmo, really immersive.
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    When I first started I was leveling up in the middle of the night in some cornfield swarming with these scarecrow mobs. One of these first times in the past 10 yrs of MMOs where I got chills as I was grinding lol.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Asheron Call use to had crazy Night time was pretty fun back then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • erwhinflerwhinfl Member UncommonPosts: 6
    just give us southeast asia english server!
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

toolak said:

I'm sure the griefers and exploiters will find an add on or find a setting to adjust to let them see just fine at night. Go watch some gameplay of MWO. In the maps that are dark and or vision impairing plenty of ppl have tweaks to let them see just as if it were a day game mode without having to rely on night vision or thermal vision.

Sadly your missing the point.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Another cool feature of night is monsters have more AP, hit harder (?) and give more XP.

Are they strong enough to actually be a concern then? I can't see it being that scary if you can normally herd groups of monsters to kill them. It's a shame really.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Impmon said:

Black Desert Online looks like a guildwars 2 clone.
    made me chuckle, so funny.....

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430

tw1386 said:

Wow, if you think that is pay 2 win ... You clearly haven't played the game and are just repeating bs about the ghillie suit and pets that auto loot lol

While there's still plenty of people who don't like gender-locked classes, I think it's more acceptable nowadays simply because there's less of a stigma about someone playing a different gender.

Additionally, having a larger selection of classes helps, some classes do have both genders, and being able to edit your char's looks helps as well.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    While I personally hate gender locking IF while playing as a female character I can find gear/costumes that are not skimpy, I won't complain as much.

Tera for example is the bane of that. I tried my best to play a female character but they sound like children while wearing barely any clothes.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Dark nights was one of many things I really, really hated in Vanguard. Combine it with NPCs gone, and it's a gamebreaker (for me). Skipping this one.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

toolak said:

I'm sure the griefers and exploiters will find an add on or find a setting to adjust to let them see just fine at night. Go watch some gameplay of MWO. In the maps that are dark and or vision impairing plenty of ppl have tweaks to let them see just as if it were a day game mode without having to rely on night vision or thermal vision.

Don't think you need an add, just adjust gamma. But that has a limited effect and washes out details. Someone saying there that NPCs disappear at night?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited March 2016
    I must admit though because Everquest was the very first MMORPG I played when I played a human ranger and started at Surefell Glade I could not get out of that tunnel at all to get to Qeynos Hills. It was completely impossible. This was when it launched. I think someone finally answered my yells and told me to equip the lantern in the inventory which I hadn't even checked. I think later on they made sure you started with it equipped.

I think I spent more than 30 minutes struggling and I was using just say until I realised I could shout or may be yell. I just could not see at all. I kept getting turned around inside the tunnel and it was really awful but it made the world so scary and real to me.

Later on by the time I created an erudite I was already familiar with the game but it still fazes you out when you face absolute pitch black darkness that completely disorientates you.
    Chamber of Chains
  • LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76

Lethality said:

DMKano said:

DMKano said:

I dont use any lantern at night - the nights are bright enough to see everything just fine. You can easily tweak contrast setting so you are not a beacon of "please kill me" in PvP. 

EQ1 vanilla had brutally dark nights if you were one of the non dark vision races like humans.

This isn't accurate. There is true darkness (like being in caves, residences, etc) where no light exists. Changing monitor settings will not improve your 'vision' inside the game.

There is no true darkness outoors, which is what I was taking about. 

There actually is... it's much darker than the Korean version normally, but when a thunderstorm sets in at night, it is pure dark except for lightning flashes.

That said, I've seen it less since launch than I did in the beta. I hope they haven't scaled it back.

They definitely haven't scaled it back. Those screenshots here were taken straight from the game client and haven't been adjusted in any way. It's very, very dark. I'm also not sure adjusting your monitor settings would make any difference...

Yep, I got some screen caps like that from beta, but not a single one since launch :( Still darker than the Korean version, but nowhere near what I saw before.
  • carvalho677carvalho677 Member UncommonPosts: 59

Is the pvp open world and limitless? I mean a la Age of Wushu for example. I was hoping for something with similar dinamics.

at level 45 you can start open world pvp, people like to compare it to lineage2 (there are a few differences though)
  • TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Wish I could relate.

I was given a key to play from a friend. Played it. I found it boring, and the graphics even on the highest settings really aren't that good. Everything is grey and brown and black. Just reminded me of dreary DDO.

Theres a reason the dark ages were the dark ages. They sucked.

The "action combat" feels like a bad arcade game from the 80's.

Luckily I didn't waste money on this game and un-installed/deleted it.

This game is by no means a sandbox. Its a theme park with salad dressing.
  • TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    edited March 2016
    I really need to play this more. I bought the 29.99 backage but have only really played twice. The combat is really cool but I want to get into the more mundane things to get that Contribution stuff. :)
  • picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Dark nights and darkness in general that actually matters let me seriously consider to check this title out. I liked that in wurm online and even in my very first RPGs Bard's Tale, too sad so few games have it. Problem is you can cheat darkness by alpha settings, that's probably the reason it's not that popular in MMOs.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    MysteryB said:
    I wasn't even gonna get BDO but I am so glad I did, this game is a true sandbox and the most fun MMORPG I have played in years.
    Come on, it is nothing like a sandbox.  At least know what a sandbox is before attempting to label something.

This game is just another themepark, period!
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

toolak said:

Sadly your missing the point.
    How are they missing the point?  That is a very valid point, since this game is essentially pvp at end game.

Every game I have played that has had a dark night did not take long before a mod was available to change that.  
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    if it is TRUE night where changing your monitors contrast settings wont allow you to see more than all they did was make a game that is difficult to play half the time...really...not brilliant at all.

Hey I know, lets spend a small fortune and years making a game that most players wont want to play half the time!

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/