Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for casual group play like City of Heroes

rakai05rakai05 Member UncommonPosts: 8
Yes, I'm one of the people still carrying a torch for CoH, especially since I started watching the Big Bang Theory and seeing it plastered all over the place. Anyhoo... what I really liked about it was how easy it was to play in a group. I could log in and usually always find a team to join pretty quickly. The group could last for hours, running missions and occasionally replacing someone when they had to go. Everyone was usually friendly, you would chat and laugh with each other as you played, and you didn't need to use a voice server. 

Is there anything out there that would give me a similar grouping experience? I don't care about genre so much, and I'm happy to pay for it. Any ideas? Thanks for reading.

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I wish I had an answer for you.  I'd pay well for that kind of experience again.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Nostalgia... it's a bitch.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• knightfall98knightfall98 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    marvel heroes if you are pulling for the hero theme and its free, but getting a group mean joining a super group
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    FFXIV has a "duty finder" which can usually get you a group pretty quick. It's an auto-match maker though, so your results may vary. It's limited to instanced content (mostly 4 and 8-man dungeons), which isn't terribly dynamic, but there's a good bit of it for a new player coming in. The population there is mostly friendly, but you'll still see a lot of people who group and not say a word. No voice chat required, the game has a kind of nifty "auto translator" for common text phrases, although the servers and data centers are largely organized around common-speaking regions. It has some level scaling like CoH had (it can scale down, but not up). On the whole I had good luck with it though and enjoyed it - it wasn't CoH, but what is.

Past that, of games that I've played... WoW has a similar group finder for instanced. The difference from FFXIV here is that WoW is full of A-holes, or at least it was the last time I played it.

• KatabelleKatabelle Member UncommonPosts: 16
    There was a group trying to revive COH, basically making a emulated server or "private server". 

"Paragon Chat", Here is an interview.

And a video: 

But its kind of chat based? I think?
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited March 2016
    Katabelle said:
    There was a group trying to revive COH, basically making a emulated server or "private server". 

"Paragon Chat", Here is an interview.

And a video: 

But its kind of chat based? I think?
    As long NCsoft don't try to crash them down, on any emulated servers thats is to close to City of heroes. Unless they got the right for it to do so.