Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pro-Science Pro-Intellectual Gaming Group

waynejarviswaynejarvis Member UncommonPosts: 29
edited March 2016 in LFGame
We want to develop a community of like-minded people using a strict filter, a community that is not plagued by the following. 

Baconian Method was formed in response to the following list of dislikes:

Mindlessly repeating unoriginal gamer buzzwords - trash, slam, get fucked, 420, yolo, Et al. 

Letting ego get in the way of objectively solving problems, getting emotional about losing because you think you are too good to lose etc. 

Anti-Intelluctualism - "Stop overthinking it!" - How about you stop underthinking it

Treating girls like shit because it makes you seem better in juxtaposition 

Not contributing to necessary group busy work 

Excessive Ball Breaking/Fucking with each other

Macho Bullshit - "so I was blasting this chick in the ass right" 

Excessive glorification of weed smoking, it's fine if you do it but don't fucking talk about it 24/7

Blaming fight/pvp losses on people indiscriminately

Bad mouthing people in the group, or allies of the group. If you have problems with people be direct and address it with everyone in the channel including the person you have a problem with.

Racial slurs - Although we don't really want to have rules it is pretty likely if you are someone who spouts racial slurs you are not going to be the kind of person we like or welcome to the group. 

Stop trying to change people's minds. Communicate your perception and learn about other perceptions and why they are
held/how the formed. 

Now for the things we like:

Objectivity, recognizing your own biases allowing for the communication and learning of different perceptions 

Thinking is fun!

Organized, Scheduled Events

Testing, working out equations and game mechanics

Priority order - 1 - Have a positive experience 2 - Be competitive/win

Using and developing strategy as opposed to the mindless - go for what is closest technique (Think WoW battlegrounds or Call of Duty as an example of what not to do)

Game Types - Sandbox, Non Cookie Cutter, PvP, Teamwork

There are so many games coming out we are just awaiting their release so we are open to game suggestions in the interim. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have just started to advertise and are currently using Razer Comms to organize. You can message directly for more information.
Post edited by waynejarvis on

Comments

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    What you're proposing is anathema. Proficient people are profane and have little interest in contrived social order. It's fun to postulate you're smart, maybe even comforting. The truth is it's terrifying, lonely, and being approached by "smart people" to make a "smart people group" is really fucking annoying.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• waynejarviswaynejarvis Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I think there is a large opposition to people that think they are smart (for good reason) and hasty generalizations are made assuming that is who I am and what the group will be. If a group like this would be anathema for you then don't join it. What is truly terrifying is when the intelligent are browbeaten. I have seen far too many examples of this in voice comms, guild chat, and game chat. Your experience with proficient people and mine are quite different and this is an example of how anecdotes can be unreliable.  
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

Anti-Intelluctualism

Treating girls like shit because it makes you seem better in juxtaposition

Excessive Ball Breaking

Macho Bullshit

Excessive glorification of weed smoking
    Tell me this is a joke thread.
    edited March 2016
    In response to your memecommunication I do not agree that intelligent people think they are better than other people. It is interesting to me how this perception formed. I'd agree that people who pretend to be intelligent also pretend to be better than others and my guess is that this is where the perception is coming from. Secondarily what is interesting to me is how people will spend their time to make posts based on their hasty generalizations instead of just moving along because the group is not for them. 
    I think there is pretty good evidence in this thread to exemplify the browbeating I am talking about. My question is who are you convincing? I think the time you are expending is only preaching to the converted. 
    Kiyoris are you suggesting that my experience is only anecdotal and most groups are not like this? Perhaps I have just been in bad groups? Can you give some reasoning to your post?
     My question is who are you convincing?
    My question is, "who are you convincing?". We need theme music.

With the post in general there are plenty of people who have shown interest. When it comes to defending against all of the trolls I simply enjoy it. I do not rationally believe I will change their perceptions nor should I. It is a good exercise certain aspects of the argument process(although obviously not the entire argument process). Secondarily it can be interesting to learn of their perceptions, even though you could argue it is just mindless trolling. I also want to show activity in defense of the group I have made to people who have shown interest. 
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    What you do is called elitism. I can understand that people want to be together with like-minded people, and some points in your thread make sense, others are just elitism bullshit. But, well, have fun.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

Basically what you have done is thrown in the assumption that because we want to be around other pro-science, pro-intellectuals we think we are better than others. I see no evidence suggesting what I've said indicates I think I am better than anyone. Is it that other people you have known who have and communicate this way put off this vibe? Where does this assumption come from because I do not see it, I have not experienced it. 
    Or do you mean to say that ANY group that only wants to be around like-minded individuals is elitist?
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    edited March 2016
    Daikuru said:
    What you do is called elitism. I can understand that people want to be together with like-minded people, and some points in your thread make sense, others are just elitism bullshit. But, well, have fun.

I will have to disagree.  The OP just chose to list the criteria with examples of behavior that won't be tolerated.   The list could have been easily summed up with a couple of sentences that included words like intellectual, mature, tolerance, etc., but that kind of leaves people without a good idea of if it would be a fit or not.  At least, people can relate their past experiences to the list and see at a single glance whether or not it is a good fit for them.  

The title is a good example of how listing terms that are relative will give someone a hard time understanding if the group would be a good fit or not. 

Thanks Vard - it is good to know that there are some things like this established already. It is entirely possible I have just had a string of bad gaming groups. I am studying to become a Biomedical Engineer myself. I haven't given any thought to Black Desert, but how does your group communicate?
    Vardahoth said:

P.S. You will find most the people on these forums are not the type of people you are searching for.
    You don't think there are many people far more impressed with the way they think than they should be?
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited March 2016
    Kiyoris are you suggesting that my experience is only anecdotal and most groups are not like this? Perhaps I have just been in bad groups? Can you give some reasoning to your post?
    I've been in guilds for about 16 years, mostly EQ. I'm just saying that the OP isn't how you attract mature players.

If you say "be mature"...you attract the people who are not mature, since they like to troll the fact you want mature players.

The best way to attract good players is just looking around yourself. Keep an eye out on players, keep a small log how fast they level, how many times they log in per week, invite them to a guild group, ask them lots of questions...and offer them a guild trial if they're any good.

Do not treat players like they're babies, you're not running a child day care, and it comes off as condescending to the adults you want to attract. Just....find the right people, don't expect them to come to you, look in the game you play, and talk to people. A recruiting officer should get a constant stream of good hints about potential candidates from the rest of the guild and a recruiting officer should be proactive, not passive waiting for people to come to them.
  • wiennaswiennas Member UncommonPosts: 67
    edited March 2016
    ''Pro-Science Pro-Intellectual Gaming Group''
    Frankly, I do not know what this should be. I realized that over time video games have get far more, hmm ''professional,''in terms of various profi leagues,...but I think we would need the exact opposite. Generally in pvp oriented games, where a lot of people losing their nerves,...since quite many people are not  playing them for fun, but for all other reasons, mostly ego stuff,... good examples;

• AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I don't care what a guild is looking for in it's members but have always wondered why others do.

I wouldn't be able to join i'm mature but i am dumb.  lol
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    edited March 2016
    Daikuru said:
    Seems to me that he's expecting the people in his group to act like mature adults even when anonymously online in a video game.

Some people don't want to deal with pre-pubescent teenager in the middle of their hormone rush, or adults who act similarly, when they spend their leisure time online. They got their share of that with their own children.

Is that elitism? Who cares. His guild, his rules. That's the kind of guild I'm also usually looking for in a MMORPG. I would add "The group is 18+ except for children of adult members, who are then responsible for the behavior of their teenager" to my own list of rules.
    Did you really read his opening post? Did it actually look like post made by an intellectual mature person? You think an intellectual mature person would have an intellectual discussion like this :

Excessive Ball Breaking/Fucking with each other

Macho Bullshit - "so I was blasting this chick in the ass right"

??

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Vardahoth said:

Adjuvant1 said:
    Vardahoth said:

P.S. You will find most the people on these forums are not the type of people you are searching for.
    You don't think there are many people far more impressed with the way they think than they should be?
    I think people will continue to be rude and embrace negative attitudes (which is obviously what the OP is trying to filter out), especially with internet anonymity. I could care less about how they are impressed. It's just a form of pride, which leads to a fall.
    He is trying to filter our negativity with his own negativity? Ohh wait i know, fight poison with poison. My, i have grown so old that i am forgetting common sense..

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• WinterstoneWinterstone Member UncommonPosts: 33
    edited March 2016
    One thing that confuses me about this kind of post, actually I've never seen a post like this. I understand the need to facilitate some needs within a gaming group or guild, one that you can't find in the general or trade chats of mmorpgs. But why not seek it out somewhere else than mmorpg.com? There are discussion groups and boards surrounding a lot of amazing sciency places. Why not present a post to communities outside any abusive realms such as this one. Look for like minds that surround gaming within these already established places. 

- TED
    - Popular Science
    - NASA
    - Discovery
    - Polygon
    - Scientific American

There are gamers out there probably looking to game with like minds. But with this suggestion said, I must be honest myself. You seem like one of those in-your-face intellects that might try to force opinions and views rather than collaborate - but I could have the context of your post wrong.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I can sympathise with the OP's goals to a large degree, and even admire the root causes, but I think what he is aiming for would be just as annoying as the behaviours he detests.  At my advanced age I try to aim for moderation in all things, not seeking for extremes.  Still, while his aims may be overly politically correct for my tastes, good luck to him in all things.
    One thing that confuses me about this kind of post, actually I've never seen a post like this. I understand the need to facilitate some needs within a gaming group or guild, one that you can't find in the general or trade chats of mmorpgs. But why not seek it out somewhere else than mmorpg.com? There are discussion groups and boards surrounding a lot of amazing sciency places. Why not present a post to communities outside any abusive realms such as this one. Look for like minds that surround gaming within these already established places. 

- TED
    - Popular Science
    - NASA
    - Discovery
    - Polygon
    - Scientific American

There are gamers out there probably looking to game with like minds. But with this suggestion said, I must be honest myself. You seem like one of those in-your-face intellects that might try to force opinions and views rather than collaborate - but I could have the context of your post wrong.
    I am seeking it out in several places, not just here - I even have a craigslist ad haha. 

Also much of my post is about listening to perceptions of others. I do not find this characteristic of in-your-face intellectuals - who honestly are probably not that intellectual if they are not interested in learning why people believe what they believe. Their goal is to change minds and not to learn - bar intellectuals is what I picture. 
    Also if you know of any spaces in particular I would appreciate it. I suppose these places have forums and a few you mentioned seem like a good idea. 

- TED
    - Popular Science
    - NASA
    - Discovery
    - Polygon
    - Scientific American

Also if he really wanted to discuss scientific subject then his "not wanted" post should have started with :

1. No religious discussion allowed

2. No discussion regarding "creationism" allowed

If he were really looking for proper scientific minded people these restrictions are must.

And too much so called "modern day cool kid" lines in his post really makes me wonder if he really is looking for scientific and intellectual discussion. Iny my eyes your observation is spot on : "in-your-face intellectual who might try to force opinions and views rather than collaborate".