Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO would be better if it had Guild Wars 2 combat/controls

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Bdo has the best action oriented combat system of any MMO ever..
    That doesn't mean it's good 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Ehhh not sure about that.  While I have great disdain for BDO combat (it's truly awful), GW2 is almost as bad, just for a different reason.  If I was forced to choose between the two, I'd choose GW2.  I think Tera combat is a good middle ground.
  • SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Your posts are oh so annoying and pointless.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I like both systems. GW2 took tab targeting to a new level and its really smooth and fun. BDO seems to be drawing more from a fighting game or single player rpg type system with animation locks and a lot of skills that move the player, and it pulls it off in a fun way.

Its nice to have the diversity imo.
  • RamzaBehoulvRamzaBehoulv Member UncommonPosts: 4
    To be perfectly honest... BDO combat is just too much, at least for me, as far as MMO combat goes.
     I enjoy GW2 combat much more, although I wish it was slightly more dynamic. Somewhere between GW2 and BDO would be nice.
  • collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    edited March 2016
    I like BDO's combat but I hate some of the binds. For example, pressing combinations like S + Q feels very unnatural to me, and I feel like I'd struggle to press a bind like that quickly in the heat of the moment. I greatly prefer being able to customize my binds.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    for me it probably would be.. i dont really like this new breed of combat systems with excessive clicking. it just does not work for me... though i think i heard you could bind the mouse button abilities to other keys.. is that true?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    edited March 2016

I'm confused by this post because outside of being able to use tab to target enemies if you want to play with hotbar combat you can put everything on the hotbar and play just like GW2. You can also rebind the keys like any other PC game. I wouldn't recommend it but it's your play time.

I'm also confused by your statement that the controls are all over the place. For combat I have to use Q, W, A, S, D, Shift, LMB, RMB, and F. There's a handful of skills not preassigned to a combo that you can just throw on your hotbar and assign to any button. All of these are standard in most other computer games, especially those with action combat.

UI could be better though. I agree there.

Steam: Neph

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608
    I think both systems are great, and I think it is great that they are different. GW2 tries to bridge the gap between action and tab target, and BDO goes full on action.

Both are beyond the holy trinity but their focal points are very different. 
  • JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    collekt said:
    I like BDO's combat but I hate some of the binds. For example, pressing combinations like S + Q feels very unnatural to me, and I feel like I'd struggle to press a bind like that quickly in the heat of the moment. I greatly prefer being able to customize my binds.
    Yes, I like the combat in BDO but I'd be really happy if I could redo some of the weirder (to me)  binds...

GW2 combat style would not fit BDO at all imho...
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    the gw2 combat system is so restricted.
    that's actually the main complain i had about the game, having like 5-10 active skills (not sure how many it were, someone will surely correct me),

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Thane said:
    the gw2 combat system is so restricted.
    that's actually the main complain i had about the game, having like 5-10 active skills (not sure how many it were, someone will surely correct me),

and how many skills you have in BDO few active and rest are passives :)
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    imho, yes, GW2 is a better. To me, BDO is not my favorite system at all. I can see where they were trying to get away from the generic toolbar/hotbar system like WoWs, but to it fell short. Something like GW2 or even Tera's combat is much more user friendly. Either give more toolbar slots to add your skills, or simplify the way skills are performed as it exists now.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2016
    you said the same exact thing about Age of Wushu ...... well best combat ever
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    The combat is the only reason I m not playing. Hated it. My usual guild of 30 ish people all but 8 agree with me and have left. If it was GW2 style I would have stuck around more. That said I m not crazy about GW2 s either.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    GW2 and BDO Not the same game as much that GW2 was more hand holding and easy to deal with cash shop. BDO more content better replay content and more things to do.

Combat in GW2 was ok for me some people liked it alot I didn't, BDO combat is abit better it flow much better for me.

The Class system, I like how the class stand out just alot more in BDO then in GW2.

I didn't like GW2 that didn't have a mount system and there zone was all instant maps was not big deal for some people it was for me, there was times I wanted to explore but end up finding a wall.

Story in Both was pretty good so far that I enjoyed it in both, other being rush in dungeon story in GW2 so people can do a quick dungeon.

On the performance side BDO runs tons better then GW2 by far that I had to deal with.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

On the performance side BDO runs tons better then GW2 by far that I had to deal with.
    That is not true, at least not with my PC. GW2 runs as well if not better, and has a few graphic options like Supersampling that BDO doesn't have.
    Both games look gorgeous, but BDO could look even better with some of the old DX9 GW2 engine options.
    What I deal with even now with GW2 my performance tanks when more and more things are around, even if I cut down the setting still the same. BDO does not tank on me with all the stuff going on in town people/npc/horses.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Oh, you can see that.  How come you can't see your "better" idea as different?  You think all your ideas are gold.  Next time, say different not better. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Funny, I really disliked Guild Wars 2. Have 4 abilities of your liking, have 4 forced down your throat (by weapon choice)
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited March 2016
    MikeJezZ said:
    Funny, I really disliked Guild Wars 2. Have 4 abilities of your liking, have 4 forced down your throat (by weapon choice)

Although I agree with you, let's be honest, so long as the CD's allow for it rarely do we use more than the 4 or 5 of the most powerful abilities available to us.  AFAIC, the evolution of a more simpler trimmed down skill bar was an improvement to the use of combat skills in MMORPGs.  All of that clutter of dozens of skills covering the majority of visible screen in earlier itinerations of MMORPGs was massively exaggerated and largely unnecessary.    
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I actually like the fighting system in BDO, setting up your foes for combos and such makes it better.  Plus who doesn't like to body slam, piledrive, and knock people over :)
  • BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    It would be better if it had GW2's quest system... but then again, every MMO would be better that way.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I actually like the combat. It took some getting used to but I eventually got it nailed down and now think it's probably the way forward for MMOS. I was always skeptical of action combat as games like Tera never pulled it of. But that's not to say that BDO combat is perfect. It's not the Dark Souls combat system that I would prefer, where every strike and dodge feels like it matters and has this weight about it and BDO can feel a bit too flashy in comparison to the art direction of the world. The two don't gel at times. But overall I would regard BDO combat system the best I've come accross on any MMO.

However, BDO does have issues. The UI is a joke and lacks basic functionality. The map is lovely, but everything else from the friends list to key rebinding is a mess. It badly needs quality of life improvements.

There is also a lack of variety in the game. Even if you make an effort to try to distinguish your character from the rest of the crowd, unless you use dyes you look extactly the same as every other character out there. It's a shame that for a world with such a variety of interesting looking races, 90% of the population seems to be made up of young famale humans.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Arakazi said:
     It's a shame that for a world with such a variety of interesting looking races, 90% of the population seems to be made up of young famale humans.
    welcome to the world of gaming. i'm not a fan of it but it is what it is.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Arakazi said:
     It's a shame that for a world with such a variety of interesting looking races, 90% of the population seems to be made up of young famale humans.
    welcome to the world of gaming. i'm not a fan of it but it is what it is.
    A lot of them have females elves instead, but yes. Part of the problem is that many games put far more work both into the avatars and gear for them then for males and other races though. More than a few MMOs have ugly males and beutiful females.

That is hardly the only reason that many IRL males play female toons but it certainly isn't helping.

Then again, it is just a game so people should be able to play what they like as long as it fits with the gameworld.