Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Journey Begins with One Step - KickStarter Announcement

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageA Journey Begins with One Step - KickStarter Announcement

The Chronicles of Elyria team has revealed that it will begin its KickStarter initiative on May 3, 2016. In a lengthy post on the site, Soulbound Studios Creative Director Jeromy Walsh remarks how the journey to create Chronicles of Elyria began years ago with a single step.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Well with the number 1 hype slot, they should be making 5 million in the first day.
  • LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    While I expect the KS to be successful. I hope it approaches Star Citizen levels of successful. I feel that an ambitious game like this deserves/needs a nine figure budget.

Then it can burn the whole fucking market to the ground.
  • pad07pad07 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    as expected looks very nice. the run seems fluid/natural. yet the stance at the momment seem robotic yet not bad for a first look. as i have been doing to the moment will keep my eyes on it :D can't wait.
  • Narendur1Narendur1 Member UncommonPosts: 32

Lyrian said:

While I expect the KS to be successful. I hope it approaches Star Citizen levels of successful. I feel that an ambitious game like this deserves/needs a nine figure budget.

Then it can burn the whole fucking market to the ground.

A nine-figure budget would certainly be amazing, but I don't think they "need" it.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    The cloaks are amazing. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    This one will get my highest donation to a video game. Goodluck. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    LOL, gtfo. Another company begging for money. Just get ur fund some where else, make the game, and offer it, and will see. Never pay upfront. NOT one AAA has come out of a kickstarter mmo yet.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I certainly hope they reach their KS goal and I wish them all the best. It will be an interesting project to watch.

I rarely back KS projects, and I consider this one to be waaay to risky a concept. They seem to have a solid fanbase though, so that should get them through.
  • knightsbayneknightsbayne Member UncommonPosts: 19

SBFord said:

The cloaks are amazing. :)

I was thinking the same thing. SWTOR's robes were always a little disappointing.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited March 2016
    Cloaks did look good but thats not enough to get my money. Seeing an avatar swinging a sword at the air is kind of sad. No combat yet I take it? Will have to wait for more. Some of their idea appeal to me as I am a huge supporter of team play. So I am keeping my eye close on this one.
    Post edited by Nanfoodle on
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164

Wizbuiz said:

LOL, gtfo. Another company begging for money. Just get ur fund some where else, make the game, and offer it, and will see. Never pay upfront. NOT one AAA has come out of a kickstarter mmo yet.

AAA companies dont need Kickstarters because they are backed by huge publishing companies, or they themselves are huge publishing companies. Theres also a reason a lot of players dont play a single AAA MMO. They are all the same. To get something new requires risk. If no one Kickstarted games there would be several great games that would have never been created. Kickstarter is a great tool for those that have great ideas and dont want to get forced into a position of servitude by a publisher just looking to make a quick buck.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Deffcon_1 said:

Wizbuiz said:

AAA companies dont need Kickstarters because they are backed by huge publishing companies, or they themselves are huge publishing companies. Theres also a reason a lot of players dont play a single AAA MMO. They are all the same. To get something new requires risk. If no one Kickstarted games there would be several great games that would have never been created. Kickstarter is a great tool for those that have great ideas and dont want to get forced into a position of servitude by a publisher just looking to make a quick buck.
    Well, he's not wrong in there's been no AAA quality MMORPG's released yet, as there really hasn't been enough time for them to gel.

Funding is the key IMO, can't see a fully featured MMORPG coming out of a budget under at least $20M 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Promises promises promises. All those games sound great - but we either get a dud or we are still waiting.

I personally live of promises from 2004 , and still didnt see MMO that actually delivered. Sadly...

But here is to hope that never dies (btw for what its worth the game looks awesome)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Personally you are wasting your money!  The design is a developer's nightmare.  If it even launches with half the promised systems I will be shocked.  Funny how the subject of SC comes up, this will probably be another example of such, long long development time with little to show for it.  If you invest you are going to be constantly funding them, as the money needed for this game will probably be higher than SC.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Problem is it looks good now in 2016, they have been hyping this game nearly a year and they JUST started the KS campaign so how many years before anything playable gets released...3? 5? THATS why MMOs suffer horribly in 3 or 5 years this game will look like crap compared to what will already be released in some other format or in the works for some MOBA or Mini MMO.

While people can say graphics dont matter it is subconsciously why a lot of pretty good games arent getting played right now. LOTRO, still a decent game very dated graphics. RIFT better than average graphics but still 5 years old and very dated looking, EQ so dated its not even funny. And the list goes on.

And thats just the graphics all the stuff they have hyped reads like a Chris Roberts wet dream notebook. The likelihood of half of it seeing the light of day about as healthy as SC getting released with the original 'vision'.

If this game has ANY chance at all they need to release something playable by Christmas 2017 and then add to it piecemeal and raise money that way, by actually selling a game worth playing akin to what ARK has done. I know its a novel concept but if the game is worth it people will by it. Then after a few months release another of the promised features and have a set schedule of updates over the course of the game, the game will be out and probably a much better product in 5 years than it would be if they just collect money until 2021 and release some half finished piece of shit like every other kickstarter has done.
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164

rodarin said:

Problem is it looks good now in 2016, they have been hyping this game nearly a year and they JUST started the KS campaign so how many years before anything playable gets released...3? 5? THATS why MMOs suffer horribly in 3 or 5 years this game will look like crap compared to what will already be released in some other format or in the works for some MOBA or Mini MMO.

While people can say graphics dont matter it is subconsciously why a lot of pretty good games arent getting played right now. LOTRO, still a decent game very dated graphics. RIFT better than average graphics but still 5 years old and very dated looking, EQ so dated its not even funny. And the list goes on.

And thats just the graphics all the stuff they have hyped reads like a Chris Roberts wet dream notebook. The likelihood of half of it seeing the light of day about as healthy as SC getting released with the original 'vision'.

If this game has ANY chance at all they need to release something playable by Christmas 2017 and then add to it piecemeal and raise money that way, by actually selling a game worth playing akin to what ARK has done. I know its a novel concept but if the game is worth it people will by it. Then after a few months release another of the promised features and have a set schedule of updates over the course of the game, the game will be out and probably a much better product in 5 years than it would be if they just collect money until 2021 and release some half finished piece of shit like every other kickstarter has done.

They actually have plans for a playable offline demo this spring, alpha testing near the end of this year, beta next spring and release in Q3/4 next year.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I hope players start turning a deaf ear to these kickstarter projects...So far a complete waste of money....Invest in the now not something that might be in 5 years.
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    I like a lot of their concepts and ideas but what worries me the most is their business model. Because of it, I don't think I'll be backing this one.
  • burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420
    I just hope they have a reasonably price physical Collectors Edition Tier! That would get my pledge!!
  • mastersam21mastersam21 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    I don't plan on contributing to a kickstarter, but i like that this team have shown a working build compared to just concepts. Hopefully once they get into the beta stages it'll look into supporting. 
  • burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420
    Hopefully you will also be able to build ships and be a Pirate! in the game!!