Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard to decide - Revival or Chronicles of Elyria as my primary game.

Comments

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Ikisis said:
    Revival will have Open world Full loot PvP
    Elyria wont have any pvp if i understand correctly

So really do you like pvp and Risk Vs Reward
    or 3d farmville?

Nah, these games are going along almost the same path when it comes to OW, FL, PvP, thieving, burglary, piracy, arceny, larceny, destruction of property, potential player contract breaches, injury & destruction through failure in crafting minigames, death & destruction by environmental effects or active NPCs or whims of evolving storytelling thanks to virtual DM systems (Revival) / Soulbound Engine systems (CoE).

There will be plenty of risk everywhere.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Vult112 said:
    I think I will just try both games

I'm with you. Probably wasted enough money (time is money) in the forum post talking about which to choose because of the money =)

Try them both, stick to the one you gravitate to, give the other copy away to your friends.

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Ikisis said:

or 3d farmville?
    Chronicles of Elyria will have full open world PvP as well.
  • DiabhualDiabhual Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I've been keeping my eye on Revival for a while now and I'm still on the fence with its housing model, and their relation with star citizen has me kinda on the fence as well. Given the up and down drama tied to SC and the amount of features ill is trying to put into Rev. it could be the better part of 2018+ before it even releases. They do have some amazing artists though. But drawn to the lore, ability to shift between dimensions based on your characters madness!, Revival is a dream MMO that if I'm alive to see it come to fruition will hopefully let me die a happy person.
  • IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    Yanocchi said:
    Ikisis said:

or 3d farmville?

Nah, these games are going along almost the same path when it comes to OW, FL, PvP, thieving, burglary, piracy, arceny, larceny, destruction of property, potential player contract breaches, injury & destruction through failure in crafting minigames, death & destruction by environmental effects or active NPCs or whims of evolving storytelling thanks to virtual DM systems (Revival) / Soulbound Engine systems (CoE).

There will be plenty of risk everywhere.
    Hmm you may have just talked me into both. Till I choose one.
    Kinda like Highlander but less crappy.

Although these games are designed for a niche audience, there could be some differences about who becomes interested in what.

Revival might be closer to heart to hard rock fans, cat people, role-players, pen-and-paper RPG enthusiasts, horror and dark fantasy fans, followers of Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard, possibly some PvE-focused players, and people who are okay with very mature content like graphic sex and gore.

- hard rock fans because Illfonic founders come from the music industry and hard rock background, and want to have it in the game
    - cat people because developers have cats, felines have a special role in Lovecraft mythos, and the game will start a new genre called MEOW
    - role-players because of the ambitious features that will promote immersion, storytelling and role-playing
    - pen-and-paper RPG folk because the game will have live human dungeon masters equipped with tools and systems on pay-to-play gold servers
    - horror and dark fantasy fans, followers of Lovecraft and Howard because that will be the theme and setting of the game
    - PvE-focused players because they'll be able to get PvP immunity occasionally with "Standing Points", though it won't shield them too far from the shrines and PvP immunity won't cover property at home or transported goods in caravans or ships 
    - people tolerant to very mature and adult content because developers want to keep things grimly realistic

CoE will probably get a broader audience. Married people with kids will most likely steer to CoE because it will be more family-friendly. People won't need to lock themselves in a room to play the game in fear that kids might see a glimpse of the game.

It's a good thing that Revival won't be doing any crowdfunding campaigns because with that list it might not be easy to gather sufficienf funds. Illfonic is relying mostly on the old publisher model for Revival. They are funding it with money they get from their other projects, which are Star Citizen, Armored Warfare, Moving Hazard, Friday the 13th, Project Advena, Sonic Boom and Nexuiz.

• CertheGreatCertheGreat Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Need  to see more of Coe's combat to be honest those 2 slashes the guy was doing in the trailer looked abysmal other than that the graphics all looked nice
  • alzooalzoo Member UncommonPosts: 17
    @Yanocchi - If either game launches successfully with anything approaching what they're planning, they'll be well worth playing.  That said, I feel like CoE has a slightly better chance of launching within 2-3 years.  Something about the way they described their plans vs. the way Revival describe theirs gives me more confidence that the CoE mechanics won't take forever to work out.

Took a ‘short break’ from MMORPGs after the initial excitement about the launch of Ultima Online wore off.  Beginning to reacquaint myself with the genre in anticipation of Chronicles of Elyria (friend code E1E266).

• kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Revival seems better atm than COE. But both are interesting mmorpg that finally bring fresh air into the stagnant sandbox genre, along with Darkfall.

I will surely play all these new sandbox.
    The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    neither game is out... 

• Bunnii420Bunnii420 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    CoE all the way!
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    If exactly one of the two games ends up being vaporware, that will make your decision much easier.

Obviously, you'd prefer the vaporware game.  </sarcasm>
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Bunnii420 said:
    CoE all the way!
    Wise words of wisdom, agree 100%
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
    alzoo said:
    @Yanocchi - If either game launches successfully with anything approaching what they're planning, they'll be well worth playing.  That said, I feel like CoE has a slightly better chance of launching within 2-3 years.  Something about the way they described their plans vs. the way Revival describe theirs gives me more confidence that the CoE mechanics won't take forever to work out.
    CoE doesn't have an equally clear plan how the game will be produced in different phases, but it has the potential to raise a substantial amount of money during Kickstarter campaign to boost production speed.

Revival has a much more defined production plan than CoE, but their funding is a lot more mysterious and production could take longer as a result. Last year their Star Citizen contract ended earlier than they anticipated and it delayed completion of Stage 1 in Revival. It seems Illfonic are now trying to rely on the old publisher model, funding the game with revenue they acquire from their other projects. They've begun collaborating and acting as a publisher for a few other indie game companies, Psyops Games and Gun Media.

To put things into broader perspective, Illfonic finished their contract with Obsidian Entertainment on Armored Warfare in summer 2015, finished their contract with Roberts Space Industries on Star Citizen (originally worth $3.8 million according to an Denver business newspaper) in October 2015, layed off 3-5 employees after completing Star Citizen and Armored Warfare contracts, collected $823k from Friday the 13th game Kickstarter campaign with Gun Media in November 2015, launched Moving Hazard for $19.99 on Steam in March 2016, and so far have sold at least $100k worth of houses in Revival. They also have a few other projects in the pipeline. The company has 20-30 employees based on some videos that show company facilities. It's not really clear how they allocate their staff to different projects. Two days ago the latest blog revealed that most of their effort was focused on launching Moving Hazard into Early Access. Illfonic's CEO, who is also the creative director of Revival, has been travelling around mainly preoccupied with Moving Hazard and Friday the 13th game during the past two or three months. All in all, Revival might be on a backburner at least until Q3 of 2016 for all we know. According to Revival devs, their current house sales are not crowdfunding. They've said that house sales serve only as a small boost to speed up production of the game. If Revival decides to use crowdfunding at some point in the future, it could be an indication of lack of success with the other projects.

The latest dev journal in Revival was about the virtual Dungeon Master. It would be curious to know how similar or different that system is compared with Soulbound Engine in CoE.

https://www.revivalgame.com/blog/73-weekly-blog-update-70-building-the-virtual-storyteller-our-vdm

• jozephjozeph Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Keep following both games. When they launch or when they have alpha/beta access, try them out. See which you like most.

Chances are one or both will take several years more of development. You could be bored with one, before the other releases ;)
  • RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    I never heard of Revival but now I have. Now I'm following both games. Thank you for your topic. It's helping me discover so many amazing things.
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• MythosCardanMythosCardan Member CommonPosts: 7
    Ikisis said:

or 3d farmville?
    COE will have full loot PvP, pretty much whole system in COE is risk vs reward.
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Ikisis said:

or 3d farmville?
    When did that change? 
    Ikisis said:

or 3d farmville?
    When did that change? 

Thats how its always been.
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Ikisis said:

or 3d farmville?
    There's actually 3 stages of looting.
    Have a look at the wiki 
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
    Maygus said:
    Ikisis said:

or 3d farmville?
    Have a look at the wiki 
    Nope your wrong.  Deffy says it's always been full loot pvp.
    edited March 2016
    Maygus said:
    Ikisis said:

or 3d farmville?
    Have a look at the wiki 
    Nope your wrong.  Deffy says it's always been full loot pvp.
    It is full loot PvP. A character isnt dead just because they are sent into the astral plane. When a character is truly dead they can be fully looted, making CoE a full loot PvP game.

EDIT: And no where in Magus' post does he say its not full loot PvP. You are specifically posting this as an attack.

P.S. Its you're.
    no it's not full loot pvp the only way to fully loot is to come across a corpse the only way to come across a corpse is to have a permadeath something you say wont be happening on day one

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    I'm assuming Revival will release first.  Because,  CoE seems to be years away.  So,  play Revival and then try out CoE a few years later.